House of the Dragon & Other Spin Offs

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Matt Smith brought a lot of complexity to his interpretation of the Doctor.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thought you all would enjoy this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/21/arts/television/george-rr-martin-house-of-the-dragon.html

Just George talking about the show, and his overall thoughts on it and where the GoT IP is headed. He gets very honest about his issues with GoT's later seasons and conclusion, how his involvement fell off more and more as time went on (as if that wasn't obvious) and holds up HotD as the show he's been wanting to make for years because it is "more like historical fiction with some dragons thrown in," calling it, "a Shakespearean tragedy."

I have always had sympathy for the guy. Anyone that has done any writing of their own knows how hard it is to execute any creative idea into a final product, and the tall order he has with his Ice & Fire series is just unimaginable. He has written himself into one of the tightest corners he possibly could've, no pun intended. He's writing in a difficult format, in a difficult genre, with an insane level of POVs, lore and past and future events to juggle while trying to make a cohesive whole out of it. I don't envy him, and I don't like seeing him get pounced on all the time. If some of his more bloodthirsty fans (and I'm generous to call them "fans" at this point) had to spent just a week in his shoes, I think they would tone down the protestations and value judgements they lather so thickly upon him while becoming humbled themselves. If his work was easy, everyone on this planet would be doing it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2022 Posts: 23,337
    Thought you all would enjoy this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/21/arts/television/george-rr-martin-house-of-the-dragon.html

Just George talking about the show, and his overall thoughts on it and where the GoT IP is headed. He gets very honest about his issues with GoT's later seasons and conclusion, how his involvement fell off more and more as time went on (as if that wasn't obvious) and holds up HotD as the show he's been wanting to make for years because it is "more like historical fiction with some dragons thrown in," calling it, "a Shakespearean tragedy."

I have always had sympathy for the guy. Anyone that has done any writing of their own knows how hard it is to execute any creative idea into a final product, and the tall order he has with his Ice & Fire series is just unimaginable. He has written himself into one of the tightest corners he possibly could've, no pun intended. He's writing in a difficult format, in a difficult genre, with an insane level of POVs, lore and past and future events to juggle while trying to make a cohesive whole out of it. I don't envy him, and I don't like seeing him get pounced on all the time. If some of his more bloodthirsty fans (and I'm generous to call them "fans" at this point) had to spent just a week in his shoes, I think they would tone down the protestations and value judgements they lather so thickly upon him while becoming humbled themselves. If his work was easy, everyone on this planet would be doing it.

It wont allow me to read the article for some reason without subscribing, must be because I am in the UK. George is a undoubted genius and its remarkable what he has already created.

---

HOTD S1E3 another brilliant episode with some fantastic imagery, this show has great writing though is equally good at visual story telling.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, funnily enough I can't read it either now, otherwise I'd have copy and pasted the text for you.

The New York Times must have a limit placed on one article you can view or read a month (or some other time limit) and now it's shut me out.
    @Creasy47 episode 1 is available to watch on YouTube...

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, funnily enough I can't read it either now, otherwise I'd have copy and pasted the text for you.

The New York Times must have a limit placed on one article you can view or read a month (or some other time limit) and now it's shut me out.

I will look for an alternative link or use vpn in USA, that may help I have recently read a few articles from The New York Times recently.

I will look for an alternative link or use vpn in USA, that may help I have recently read a few articles from The New York Times recently.

It's likely you reached the same limit I did, then.

It's likely you reached the same limit I did, then.

Yeah you are right, i tried using VPN made no different and other browsers did not work either.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited September 2022 Posts: 554
    Put the link in archive.today and it works.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Does anyone else think the princess reminds them of Tiabeanie?
    HOTD S1E4 another well produced and well written episode, not always easy to watch despite me knowing where the story going. Probably the best show out there right now.
    HOTD S1E5 another excellent episode, so many carefully constructed story strands that are brilliantly interwoven, bravo to the writers. Best show out there right now. I am going to have to watch the last 20 minutes again...

that-escalated-quickly3.gif
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited September 2022 Posts: 1,368
    HOTD S1E5 another excellent episode, so many carefully constructed story strands that are brilliantly interwoven, bravo to the writers. Best show out there right now. I am going to have to watch the last 20 minutes again...

I was feeling hesitant about watching it. But since you've reviewed it like this, I have to watch it.

I was feeling hesitant about watching it. But since you've reviewed it like this, I have to watch it.

Best episode so far.

Best episode so far.

Cool!

Best episode so far.

Cool!

All the ground work is done, episode 6 onwards is where things will really ramp up.

Best episode so far.

Cool!

All the ground work is done, episode 6 onwards is where things will really ramp up.

Yeah, just saw it. It's a good episode.
    As of next week, Aegon Targaryen will be played by Ty Tennant, the son of David Tennant and Georgia Moffett :

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/fantasy/house-of-the-dragon-ty-tennant-newsupdate/

Ty-Tennant-Aegon-Targaryen-House-Dragon-b1224e4.jpg?resize=620,413?quality=90&webp=true&resize=620,414
    Key changes with cast hopefully will be seamless, Olivia Cooke is a superb actress so i have hundred per confident she will be a great Alicent aged up. The younger actresses who played Alicent and Rhaenyra will be a tough act to follow they did extremely well in the roles.
    HOTD S1E6 another excellent episode, they handled the time jump extremely well and introduced the older versions of certain characters with ease. I am a huge fan of Olivia Cooke she was the stand out for me, its great to have a show that I can't wait to see the next episode from week to week, that's rare these days. HOTD is a prime example of what good writing is and without it a show can be vacuous, I am looking at you The Rings of Power.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2022 Posts: 5,869
    I am a huge fan of Olivia Cooke she was the stand out for me.
    100%. Cooke is always a treat and here nothing changed. As you say, stand out of the episode.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    100%. Cooke is always a treat and here nothing changed. As you say, stand out of the episode.

I first saw Olivia Cooke in a film called The Limehouse Golem, I was very impressed by her.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2022 Posts: 5,869

I first saw Olivia Cooke in a film called The Limehouse Golem, I was very impressed by her.
    If you haven't seen Slow Horses on AppleTV, you should give it a watch.

Not only a spy thriller, but also stars Cooke.

If you haven't seen Slow Horses on AppleTV, you should give it a watch.

Not only a spy thriller, but also stars Cooke.

I have never subscribed to AppleTV though I have seen the trailer for Slow Horses it looked good and the cast was impressive.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    So, I've seen the seventh episode. Wow. Just wow.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,337
    So, I've seen the seventh episode. Wow. Just wow.

Wow wow wow just watched it, I wont swear though that was World Class TV, incredible episode.

I don't even know where to start there was so much brilliant narrative and character building moments..
    @Creasy47 this show is next level story telling, catch up now so you can get involved with the build up toward the finale, honestly this show is good you wont regret it mate.
    Poetic amazing show.
  • Really enjoying the show! It’s definitely brought me back to the good old days of GoT. I wasn’t at all looking forward to it , but I’m pleasantly surprised by the quality .
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,337
    Really enjoying the show! It’s definitely brought me back to the good old days of GoT. I wasn’t at all looking forward to it , but I’m pleasantly surprised by the quality .

Having a completely different creative team has helped, I like the pace and the tone of the show it pulls no punches.

There is one scene the maifistation of absolute power which is awesome.

----

let-them-fight.gif
    If you know you know...

BOOM!!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Creasy47 this show is next level story telling, catch up now so you can get involved with the build up toward the finale, honestly this show is good you wont regret it mate.

Thanks for the recommendation, my friend, glad you've really been warming to it. How many episodes are you up to now? I need to catch up in the next week or two.