House of the Dragon & Other Spin Offs

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I will give it a go as it will likely be on SKY Max in the UK. The reality is nothing is likely to match the early seasons of GoT, this trailer does not suggest it will reach those levels.

Too right, though I'd love to be wrong. Those first few seasons were perfect; it's a shame the back half was so horrible that it retroactively destroyed everything else that came before and I'll never be able to go back and enjoy those as a result, knowing what it all builds to: a bucket of trash and waste.

I started buying GoT boxset with the intension of buying the whole series (I did the same with Westworld in 4K) though a few seasons down the line me buying the subsequent seasons ground to a hault when the quality dropped.

Funny, I did the same thing. I got up to season six, didn't bother buying season seven cause I was awaiting the inevitable, complete 4K set, saw season eight and instantly sold all my sets online. I knew I'd never return to the series, it was completely ruined, so figured I'd make some money back while I could.

As for Westworld, I own all three seasons on 4K, but it's another one where the ending may spoil my enjoyment of the beginning (though not as heavily), so I've been trying to sell them and just enjoy them on HBO whenever I do rewatch it all. They're really cool metalpaks/steelbooks that I can't ever seem to find buyers for.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    HOTD S1E1 strong start set up characters well and pulled no punches, some pretty brutal scenes and imagery.
    I think I'll wait until the first season's over then check them out online or something. It's about how it ends, not how it begins, and while I'm happy to see some glowing reviews from fans regarding the pilot, they fooled me once with GoT and I'm not about to fall into that same trap of dedicating years to a show that ends like a bad joke.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think I'll wait until the first season's over then check them out online or something. It's about how it ends, not how it begins, and while I'm happy to see some glowing reviews from fans regarding the pilot, they fooled me once with GoT and I'm not about to fall into that same trap of dedicating years to a show that ends like a bad joke.

Understandable early into the episode I was thinking its all too familiar though I was won over, this kind of show succeeds on the strength of the writing, so far so good.
    I'll never stop complaining about the ending of GoT and I'll never cease to be truly amazed at just how badly they fumbled the ball. None of the trailers have had me truly gripped or desperately excited to see the series so I can wait. I might expedite that if another Red Wedding episode or something happens though, just to avoid spoilers.
    I'll never stop complaining about the ending of GoT and I'll never cease to be truly amazed at just how badly they fumbled the ball. None of the trailers have had me truly gripped or desperately excited to see the series so I can wait. I might expedite that if another Red Wedding episode or something happens though, just to avoid spoilers.

HOTD production is impressive, they have already set up a great antagonist in episode one.

HOTD production is impressive, they have already set up a great antagonist in episode one.

At least they're laying the groundwork early. I know nothing of the prequel lore but knowing where it all leads is still majorly disappointing. I'll be sure to post here whenever I do finally check it out. What's this season, 10 episodes? I might just burn through them all in their entirety one weekend after the season finale drops. I'd be eager to know what their plans for the future are, how much they have mapped out in terms of story and major happenings, etc.

At least they're laying the groundwork early. I know nothing of the prequel lore but knowing where it all leads is still majorly disappointing. I'll be sure to post here whenever I do finally check it out. What's this season, 10 episodes? I might just burn through them all in their entirety one weekend after the season finale drops. I'd be eager to know what their plans for the future are, how much they have mapped out in terms of story and major happenings, etc.

I know what you mean I was apprehensive going in as GoT really messed up. HOTD needs to stick to story, personal conflict. As it's set 172 years before the birth of Daenrys it is far removed enough for me to appreciate on its own merits.

I know what you mean I was apprehensive going in as GoT really messed up. HOTD needs to stick to story, personal conflict. As it's set 172 years before the birth of Daenrys it is far removed enough for me to appreciate on its own merits.

Yeah I don't think knowing the future like we do will necessarily "ruin" the new spin-off for me but it'll always be a lingering thought in the back of my mind. I hope it delivers whenever I do see it. I need some new HBO entertainment with Barry and Westworld having wrapped up for their respective seasons (but Barry already in the midst of shooting season four is very exciting).

Yeah I don't think knowing the future like we do will necessarily "ruin" the new spin-off for me but it'll always be a lingering thought in the back of my mind. I hope it delivers whenever I do see it. I need some new HBO entertainment with Barry and Westworld having wrapped up for their respective seasons (but Barry already in the midst of shooting season four is very exciting).

Never heard of Barry what's it about? We don't have HBOMAX here though Sky tends to get most of there shows.

Never heard of Barry what's it about? We don't have HBOMAX here though Sky tends to get most of there shows.

It's a dark comedy thriller series from Alec Berg and Bill Hader, starring the latter as a hitman who finds a passion for acting in the middle of one of his hits, which upends his life and leads him to question everything. It's hilarious, tense, shocking and really well developed with a lot of detail. I can't stop recommending it to people.

The third season concluded in June and they were filming the new season the following month; the pandemic gave them time to flesh out the season four scripts so they could get back to work ASAP.

It's a dark comedy thriller series from Alec Berg and Bill Hader, starring the latter as a hitman who finds a passion for acting in the middle of one of his hits, which upends his life and leads him to question everything. It's hilarious, tense, shocking and really well developed with a lot of detail. I can't stop recommending it to people.

The third season concluded in June and they were filming the new season the following month; the pandemic gave them time to flesh out the season four scripts so they could get back to work ASAP.

Hader is pretty funny I will see if I can find the show, a hitman themed film I like is Grosse Pointe Blank which is a dark comedy of sorts.

Hader is pretty funny I will see if I can find the show, a hitman themed film I like is Grosse Pointe Blank which is a dark comedy of sorts.

That's a great little cult classic. I've only seen it the once, and that was many years ago, but I remember it being a bit campy and thoroughly entertaining. Doesn't get much better than that sax solo in 'Mirror in the Bathroom' blaring while Cusack goes toe-to-toe with Benny Urquidez.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,311

I have the happiest memories of a lot of episodes for GoT and "Lost", for that matter, that had me glued to the seat and exchanging lots of after-show banter with my friends. My point is that one can enjoy a show a lot for several seasons and countless episodes, even if the last season or the ending is crap. That does not spoil the overall experience for me.
    zebrafish wrote: »

I have the happiest memories of a lot of episodes for GoT and "Lost", for that matter, that had me glued to the seat and exchanging lots of after-show banter with my friends. My point is that one can enjoy a show a lot for several seasons and countless episodes, even if the last season or the ending is crap. That does not spoil the overall experience for me.

I wish I could say the same. An ending can make or break certain films and shows for me; the fact I can't enjoy those first few seasons ever again because the ending absolutely tainted everything else is very disappointing. I haven't had a slight inkling to revisit the series since it ended.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Couldn't give a shit about Game of Thrones, but as far as "other spinoffs" are concerned, I just watched the newest trailer for Rings of Power that focuses on Galadriel, and it actually looks pretty sick. Could be good.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,311

I wish I could say the same. An ending can make or break certain films and shows for me; the fact I can't enjoy those first few seasons ever again because the ending absolutely tainted everything else is very disappointing. I haven't had a slight inkling to revisit the series since it ended.

I get your point, but then I rarely watch any TV-show twice (films I do). I make exceptions for ST:TNG and Friends.

I get your point, but then I rarely watch any TV-show twice (films I do). I make exceptions for ST:TNG and Friends.

When I had the free time, I'd rewatch a good series I loved any chance I got. Even with the greatest of the greats, I like to revisit them every five years or so to see how they hold up.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

I think they have the best starting position possible in that - as far as I understand it - Martin has written and published the entire story in one of his history background books to the main series, but it is very barebones and employs multiple untrustworthy narrators, so there is still a lot for the show writers to work into that. I saw a tweet that said the most of the first episode is basically one 6-line paragraph in the book.
    The seem to be looking at 3 to 4 seasons for this specific story (and then dozens of other spin-offs, if this one hits).

I wonder what antagonist you mean @Fire_and_Ice_Returns ?
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,105
    HOTD S1E2 Very Shakespearean, this is excellent writing. Two episodes in and there is already a great deal of complexity. There was one scene in this episode that was truly epic and gave me chills.

Post episode 2 @ImpertinentGoon there are several antagonist's. lol
    HOTD S1E2 Very Shakespearean, this is excellent writing. Two episodes in and there is already a great deal of complexity. There was one scene in this episode that was truly epic and gave me chills.

I haven't seen ep2 yet, but after 1, I felt that most people in the show were severly flawed and couldn't say any one of them clearly positioned as a strong antagonist or protagonist apart from Rheanyra (or however you spell that name). That's why I asked. But I'm looking forward to 2, after your comment.

I haven't seen ep2 yet, but after 1, I felt that most people in the show were severly flawed and couldn't say any one of them clearly positioned as a strong antagonist or protagonist apart from Rheanyra (or however you spell that name). That's why I asked. But I'm looking forward to 2, after your comment.

Admittedly there is a lot of ambiguity with most of the characters, I have not read Fire and Blood though I expect a few curve balls with certain characters.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I haven t seen this yet, but will check it out in the near future. For the most part, I enjoyed GOT.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,105
    I haven t seen this yet, but will check it out in the near future. For the most part, I enjoyed GOT.

House of the Dragon is of the quality of the first 4 seasons of GOT. Matt smith is a stand out though a few other actors are emerging as great characters after the second episode.
    ‘House of the Dragon’ Shake-Up: Co-Showrunner Miguel Sapochnik Leaving Hit Series (Exclusive)
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/house-of-the-dragon-miguel-sapochnik-leaving-1235208276/
    Guy must've been completely exhausted after putting so much work into that first season then. I tend to worry when there's a changing of the guard, of sorts, with showrunners but hopefully it won't affect the quality to come with another GoT veteran onboard now. I'm awaiting S1 to end before I burn through it still, hoping it rocks.
    Changing a (seemingly) functioning team is never optimal, but it seems to me like Sapochnik has seen the generally positive reception and thought "All right, job done." Alan Taylor has directed some incredible episodes of television, so I don't think it's much of a step-down.
    Saw the first episode yesterday. Starts well, looks amazing and great cast.

Glad you enjoyed it, Matt Smith is great as Daemon though I am a fan of the actor he is one of my favorite Doctor's (from Doctor Who).

Glad you enjoyed it, Matt Smith is great as Daemon though I am a fan of the actor he is one of my favorite Doctor's (from Doctor Who).

Never seen Doctor Who. I have seen Smith before, and didn t think much of him, but he gives off a really creepy vibe in this series. Good choice for the part.