Happy 25th to Goldeneye! New... Drone footage of the cables snapping on the Goldeneye satellite dish

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Here's a sad bit of news: the Arecibo Observatory dish so memorably featured at the climax of GoldenEye has to be demolished before what we saw at the end of the film actually happens i.e. the central platform comes crashing down onto the dish:

https://gizmodo.com/arecibo-heartbreak-iconic-seti-dish-will-be-demolished-1845714893?utm_campaign=io9&utm_content=&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2ewRTpfqiBi7QgxYUAP3dRUqUVsSoKrQHabAerFkjhTeZyDelBivAcfaM

vatcb5yxheps7rp3tkau.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The first time I watched the film, I experienced a whiplash. It was a ... different film. The second time I watched GE, I announced it as my favourite Bond film ever and it kinda stayed that way. :D
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Goldeneye for me was a rejuvenation of a series that I had come to love. I became a Bond fan during the Moore era, loved Dalton in TLD, but was disappointed that he was kicked out after 2 films. His second outing in LTK was not my favourite and I thought he should have been given a better farewell.

The long time waiting for the next film was incredibly exciting. First, they chose Pierce Brosnan, an actor I found hugely entertaining as Remington Steele and whom I could clearly sympthasize with in the role of Bond. I had also enjoyed The Professionals and felt Gordon Jackson was an M-like figure and Lewis Collins would have been a tougher-than-nails Bond. But I got that Brosnan was probably the better fit for the times. Second, there was this new thing, the Internet, and I recollect being able for the first time to endlessly rewatch a teaser, and then a trailer, for a Bond movie, even though it was roughly the size of a stamp on my monitor. Third, and to my big surprise, they chose Tina Turner for the title song, which turned out to be surprisingly catchy.

I watched it on the biggest screen in town and was hooked from start to finish. Now THIS was a Bond film! The fantastic opening scene had two spectacular stunts and a laugh-out-loud scene (the screeching trolley wheels and Ourumov's unbelieving look), a brand new gun barrel, clever and breathtaking opening titles, the stylish return of the DB5 and two amazing and good-looking Bond-women, a tough new female M, and more great British actors who would become even more famous after GE (Sean Bean as another 00-agent, Robbie Coltrane...). The list goes on and it ticked so many boxes that I didn't even know existed (could a tank chase be exciting? Yes it could and on top it had never been done in a Bond film!). Of course there were aspects to it I did not like (the end of Boris comes to mind), yet overall I left the theatre totally exhilarated and full of good hopes for the future of the Bond films.

Has it aged well? Not so much, it is very much a child of its age (particularly with Eric Serra's quirky score), but it embodies much of what a Bond film was meant to be like and executed at the most professional levels (direction, casting, cinematography and locations).
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    mtm wrote: »
    Exactly.

"No wonder we couldn't see it. It was upthread."
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I'm even later, and I've written about this before, but: GoldenEye was the first Bond film I saw in the cinema, and the only one I've seen on opening night.

I became a Bond fan in the early 90s, so it was a long wait to see one on the big screen. GE came out when I was in my first term at university, so it was a period of great excitement and change for me in many ways. I went with newfound student friends and we dressed up; I bought a bow tie for the occasion, which I still have.

MGM cinema in Oxford. The guys abseiling down the building are from the university extreme sports society, which helped out with the dam jump sequence.

31103674804_d7d4244300_w.jpg
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Sadly late to the party after a busy weekend but this is the film that kicked off my obsession with the series and film fandom as a whole. My mom bought me a VHS copy when I was very young, six or seven max, and I probably watched, rewound and rewatched it hundreds and hundreds of times before I got TND and TWINE on VHS. From there, it was an endless search to purchase as many of the films as I could at certain stores or rent them whenever I saw them in stock. The film is perfection to me.

Ah, the endless search for the Bond VHS's! These days it is to easy to find what you are looking for. We had to work, pfft, kids these days.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2020 Posts: 8,009
    I actually can't remember the first time I watched GoldenEye but I remember wearing out the VHS of it after seeing Tomorrow Never Dies on the big screen, which was my first Bond film in theatres.

Brosnan's first is still an excellent film. One of the best.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,861
    I'm fairly sure GoldenEye holds my personal record for seeing a Bond film: I think I went to see it five times in the cinema! I was very excited.
    It would have been my first cinema Bond as I was a couple of years too young to see LTK as it was a 15.

In the pre-internet days the trailer was something very exciting and precious- my mate and I used to go to the local cinema every week before our evening art classes to hang out in the lobby and wait for it to come around on the looped trailer tape they had playing on the TV sets! :)
    I vividly remember the afternoon I caught GE opening day.
    I was in production for a musical and rehearsal lasted from 11 am 1pm. Then I had to be back for more rehearsal at 7pm. There was a 1:30 showing clear across town and a fellow cast member offered to give me a ride. The reason there was no line was everyone was already seated and I managed to get in during the previews.
    I loved Brosnan's gunbarrel and the Bond theme accompanying the image. I did feel the blood looked a bit dark, since brightened for home video releases.
    I loved every frame and the movie was well worth the 6 year wait.
    I probably saw it at least 10 times in the cinema. Wonderful era that was.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,378
    So many fans write that GE didn't age well. I never felt this way. I loved it as a teenager and it is still my #2, only (clearly) surpassed by the perfect CR.
    My wife rented a small cinema in the nearest town for my 30th birthday and I could watch the movie on the big screen for the first time with my friends.

I can't remember when I watched GE for the first time. It was probably with my brother and my cousin. Her sister owned it on VHS and we watched it several times around '97. (The other VHS we watched a lot was Speed). I liked GE a lot from the beginning but was always a bit nervous when Xenia was killing the admiral. I was 10 at the time and I had never seen such a scene before (and after).
    The main attractions were the opening jump (shot in my country), the PTS in general, the tank action and Q.
    I had no idea that there wozld be so much more Bond movies, although I had seen a few scenes before from other ones. Luckily, my parents always liked the series and we watched a lot of them together when I was around 12.
    I wasn't allowed to watch TND in the cinema. Therefore, TWINE was my first cinematic Bond experience (as a 12 year old.)
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited November 2020 Posts: 2,341
    Brozza plays Goldeneye 007 on the N64 system with Jimmy Fallon

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Brozza plays Goldeneye 007 on the N64 system with Jimmy Fallon

He's nearly as good at it as I am!
    Is this really how fleming got the 007 number ?
    Never heard of this before ?
    Leno: Pierce Brosnan (1995)

That's a good point, haha.

I found a little something that might be interesting to us GE fans:
    https://physicsworld.com/a/arecibo-observatory-will-be-decommissioned-says-us-national-science-foundation/
    Nice find @mattjoes!
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 4,599
    delete
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Hmm. I don't think so, not sure Fleming ever took a bus in his life!

In other news though:
    Iconic Puerto Rico telescope to be dismantled amid collapse fears

;)

Hmm. I don't think so, not sure Fleming ever took a bus in his life!

In other news though:
    Iconic Puerto Rico telescope to be dismantled amid collapse fears

;)

With a name at the ready, Fleming now had to find a code number, too. When he moved to Kent in the mid fifties, he kept visiting London quite often. He commuted there and back by coach, which he took from Dover and then when he moved to Canterbury he took the same bus from the Cathedral town’s bus station. The number of the bus route? 007.
    0_007-route.jpg

https://art-sheep.com/james-bond-how-did-the-worlds-most-famous-spy-acquire-his-name-and-his-007-code-number/
    https://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/newsmedia/news-across-the-group/2015/is-the-world-s-most-famous-spy-named-after-a-humble-bus/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm pretty sceptical about that story! :D

Don't forget the old John Dee thing too. I suspect you can find 007s everywhere if you look hard enough.
    Never heard this bus story before. The John Dee one is what I remember.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Never heard this bus story before. The John Dee one is what I remember.

Never heard of the John Dee story before.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I went on a Bond walking tour of London a few years ago. Our guide asked if anyone knew where the 007 number came from. I produced the London to Dover National Express theory and he gave me a Look that clearly said "there's one on every tour".
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm pretty sceptical about that story! :D

Don't forget the old John Dee thing too. I suspect you can find 007s everywhere if you look hard enough.

This is interesting, I see “007” on busses here in Vancouver all the time. And at work. ;)
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,311
    The 007 bus line being the inspiration for Ian Fleming has to be a made-up story invented by the PR department of National express. It surfaced in November 2015 on their web page and starts with "It is rumoured that...". No references are given, so one has to suspect this was wishful thinking at best.

Ben Macintyre, a columnist for The Times, wrote back in 2008 that 007 derives from a German WW I document, number 0075, whose code was cracked and which caused the US to enter the war. From then on the 007-prefix stood for the highest British Intelligence achievement. In any case, that idea also seems derived, but it would make sense that "00" has some meaning in intelligence circles.

(update)
    I just rechecked what Henry Chancellor dug out for his book "James Bond - The Man And His World" - highly recommended, by the way - on page190. Fleming said in an interview that the Navy was responsible, since during the war all the top secret signals had the double-0 prefix. 0070 (not 0075) was the secret code of above mentioned Zimmerman Telegram in WW I and founded the prefix habit. Fleming memorized that for future use and it stuck.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    The 007 bus line being the inspiration for Ian Fleming has to be a made-up story invented by the PR department of National express. It surfaced in November 2015 on their web page and starts with "It is rumoured that...". No references are given, so one has to suspect this was wishful thinking at best.

Ben Macintyre, a columnist for The Times, wrote back in 2008 that 007 derives from a German WW I document, number 0075, whose code was cracked and which caused the US to enter the war. From then on the 007-prefix stood for the highest British Intelligence achievement. In any case, that idea also seems derived, but it would make sense that "00" has some meaning in intelligence circles.

Maybe Ian Fleming just liked the looks of it?

So i guess no really knows for sure ?
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,311
    @007InAction I just found someting about the origin of the 00-prefix in this book, which lends more credibility to the war document story, please see my updated post above yours.

M00719568153-source.jpg
    zebrafish wrote: »
    @007InAction I just found someting about the origin of the 00-prefix in this book, which lends more credibility to the war document story, please see my updated post above yours.

UZnBIleiEovawObxzXnpQwfYl3D_r29Fa6tZKkIhmOsoanl9_3w4114R70J8k75biRQRX7-tXcVB_9wrjRqU0iqUITgBnIWNIP4P_w_EkC2HfHE0u1ThO7Zv7-09

Yes i've read some other stories about the origin of the 00-prefix like the one you mention. That might be right ?

I've never bought "James Bond - The Man And His World" but i've seen it around a lot.

What sort of other stuff is in the book ? Does it just cover the fleming books ?