GoldenEye watch-along with Pierce Brosnan 19th April

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @mtm, indeed. He said his son and his son's girlfriend helped him set it up but having someone online would've helped him further, I'd imagine. He had that sheet of questions already printed out and I guess not many noticed, since they were spamming questions in the Chat Box on YouTube the whole time.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Loved it! the fact that he was so uncomfortable made you appreciate the effort and generosity he has shown in agreeing to take part. When he said he’s never even sat down and watched any of his Bond films with his children, despite them asking him to, made the experience even more humbling. What a true gentleman! I’ve always held Pierce and his films in high regard, and this makes me love his Bond even more! A great way to spend a Sunday evening!
    On a more comical note, I do wish I could have seen the sheet of questions he was provided with, there must have been plenty of stinkers and the sorts of inane questions he’s been asked a thousand times already .... he really was sinking deeper into depression every time he flicked through them! ☺️
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I was only able to watch the stream (not the movie) at the very beginning and from the tank scene onwards (judging from some comments I seem to have missed the best part!) but it was really cool that this happened; much grateful to Pierce for doing this. I'm going to try to download the video to experience it in full later, just in case they plan on taking it down.

One things that’s cool about this is not necessarily that Brosnan is watching it with us, but *everyone* is watching Goldeneye at the same time. Very cool. Friends are texting me “here comes the tank chase” lol
    It's indeed great to think many people around the world were watching the film at the same time!
    I think the book JFK read was FRWL, not GF, he miss-remembered that.
    I missed the first half hour, did he mention Tim Dalton at all? He didn't later.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I missed the first half hour, did he mention Tim Dalton at all? He didn't later.

He did remember George, but I’m pretty sure he never mentioned Tim!
    Loved it! the fact that he was so uncomfortable made you appreciate the effort and generosity he has shown in agreeing to take part. When he said he’s never even sat down and watched any of his Bond films with his children, despite them asking him to, made the experience even more humbling. What a true gentleman! I’ve always held Pierce and his films in high regard, and this makes me love his Bond even more! A great way to spend a Sunday evening!

He comes across as a lovely person. Very warm, genuine. And appreciative of all the opportunities he's had. After Rog I'd say he comes across as one of the most likeable actors to play Bond.
    On a more comical note, I do wish I could have seen the sheet of questions he was provided with, there must have been plenty of stinkers and the sorts of inane questions he’s been asked a thousand times already .... he really was sinking deeper into depression every time he flicked through them! ☺️

No doubt. He even mentioned how some of them weren't striking him as particularly intriguing. I saw a few in the chat box that were akin to "Did you enjoy playing 007?" I mean, really?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I noticed on the YouTube chatbox someone asked him if he liked bananas.

:))
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Such a likeable person.
    I loved the moments when he suddenly looked directly in the camera and was speaking to "us".
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    He just answered a question from @marketto007, very cool.

Unbelieveable stuff man. What an honour he mentioning my name. Pierce is the man.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2020 Posts: 14,956
    @mtm, indeed. He said his son and his son's girlfriend helped him set it up but having someone online would've helped him further, I'd imagine. He had that sheet of questions already printed out and I guess not many noticed, since they were spamming questions in the Chat Box on YouTube the whole time.

Impressive he didn't need glasses to read it I thought! LaserEye I guess :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

The long silences where he read his sheets and looked increasingly disappointed made me laugh quite a bit :D
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I was only able to watch the stream (not the movie) at the very beginning and from the tank scene onwards (judging from some comments I seem to have missed the best part!) but it was really cool that this happened; much grateful to Pierce for doing this. I'm going to try to download the video to experience it in full later, just in case they plan on taking it down.

One things that’s cool about this is not necessarily that Brosnan is watching it with us, but *everyone* is watching Goldeneye at the same time. Very cool. Friends are texting me “here comes the tank chase” lol
    It's indeed great to think many people around the world were watching the film at the same time!

Seemed to be roughly 2.5K people watching, which isn't too shabby at all. I hope someone from Esquire has told it worked and we could see him! :D
    shamanimal wrote: »

He did remember George, but I’m pretty sure he never mentioned Tim!

I'm sure I've heard him say before that he hasn't watched Tim's films, or perhaps just Living Daylights, because it was a bit too raw knowing he should have been in that film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Such a likeable person.

Yes, Roger and George too. And I guess Tim. The other two sure like to find things to get pissed off about.

Tim's a good sport too, for sure. I always enjoyed listening to him in interviews.
    I hope he did not find it too chalenging. I agree, he should have had more help, both with the tech stuff and filtering the questions in advance. (and the ping). Perhaps "Q and A" for 45 mins or so would be better than a 2 hour session? I would love him to do more. (I wonder if EON were watching) it's great PR .
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think Craig is possibly the one I'd like to see do a commentary the most though as he's involved with the entire production more than any previous Bond actor (I guess with the exception of Connery on NSNA) and he's very eloquent and comes up with interesting thoughts whenever I've seen him interviewed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    patb wrote: »
    I hope he did not find it too chalenging. I agree, he should have had more help, both with the tech stuff and filtering the questions in advance. (and the ping). Perhaps "Q and A" for 45 mins or so would be better than a 2 hour session? I would love him to do more. (I wonder if EON were watching) it's great PR .

A bit of me did wonder why he hadn't perhaps read some of the questions beforehand and highlighted the ones he fancied! :D

Are Esquire doing this with any other movies do we know? Not Bonds I guess, they can't just do Bond movies.
    Commentary or Q and A?
    He just answered a question from @marketto007, very cool.

Unbelieveable stuff man. What an honour he mentioning my name. Pierce is the man.

Even seeing him type my name out via a Facebook correspondence once was amazing, but hearing it must be on a completely different level.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 6,677
    That was awesome. If I could martymcfly this and tell it to my adolescent self, I wouldn't believe me. What an brilliant sunday. Thank you, Pierce.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 616
    Couple of things that surprised me. Partway through the feed, Brosnan recalls that he actually signed a contract to do TLD, which I don't think he's ever said in interviews (correct me if I'm wrong). I know there is a photo of him signing with Broccoli and MGW in 1986, but Broccoli always denied that it happened. I was also surprised to learn that Brosnan was given a copy of the TLD script.

Of course he praised Craig's approach to the role, but I didn't get the impression that he was being sincere (I think he's still bitter), and it was interesting to hear him make a critical comment later on that the newer films lack humor (or a "light touch," something like that).

People have been pointing out that Brosnan looked uncomfortable, and he most definitely should have had a moderator. More than anything else, though, I got the impression that he was somewhat despondent, not just when he was reminiscing about his first wife (who tragically died young of cancer) and the pandemic, but in general. These are dark times, so it's understandable.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Couple of things that surprised me. Partway through the feed, Brosnan recalls that he actually signed a contract to do TLD, which I don't think he's ever said in interviews (correct me if I'm wrong). I know there is a photo of him signing with Broccoli and MGW in 1986, but Broccoli always denied that it happened. I was also surprised to learn that Brosnan was given a copy of the TLD script.

Of course he praised Craig's approach to the role, but I didn't get the impression that he was being sincere (I think he's still bitter), and it was interesting to hear him make a critical comment later on that the newer films lack humor (or a "light touch," something like that).

People have been pointing out that Brosnan looked uncomfortable, and he most definitely should have had a moderator. More than anything else, though, I got the impression that he was somewhat despondent, not just when he was reminiscing about his first wife (who tragically died young of cancer) and the pandemic, but in general. These are dark times, so it's understandable.

I think you’re reaching to say that he’s bitter about Craig. From my point of view he was very open, sincere and pleasant when praising Craig. He’s never come across as being bitter at Craig personally throughout the years.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TR007 wrote: »
    Escalus5 wrote: »

I think you’re reaching to say that he’s bitter about Craig. From my point of view he was very open, sincere and pleasant when praising Craig. He’s never come across as being bitter at Craig personally throughout the years.

Yes, he's always been very gracious about Craig. I think there was at one point an element of envy about Craig playing the Bond that Brosnan has said he wanted to, but I don't think that was anything to do with Craig personally. It was just one of those things. I remember first hearing Brosnan talk about Craig's Bond when Skyfall came out because at that point, he hadn't seen CR or QoS.
    I thought he was being genuine about Craig too. It was interesting to hear him mention Bourne as well. He said something like "when we saw that, we knew things were changing" or something.
    I think, regarding the contract, they could well have done some publicity photos showing him signing, in lieu of him signing the real contract.
    I did catch that little dig at the new films being humourless too.
    Since Pierce Brosnan is on everyones mind today. Just wondering. Could Brosnan do another small run as Bond? Like an older James Bond story?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Since Pierce Brosnan is on everyones mind today. Just wondering. Could Brosnan do another small run as Bond? Like an older James Bond story?

It would be cool if he did a short film or something as an older Bond. I'd be into a straight adaption of Octopussy, if not something original. Bond's not older in the OP short story, but it could still work. Finds time in retirement to pay a visit to the man responsible for the death of Hannes Oberhauser.
    The thing which I was not expecting was how open he was as a person, He was not acting or "playing up". It was clear that he was not 100% comfortable with the set up and the process but, to me, that made the whole thing far more insightful and genuine compared to some slick, corp production. I really enjoyed it.
    Out of all the bonds Brosnan is the one I’d love to hang and chat with. He’s always a class act.

I still maintain he could’ve played bond until 2014. He looked his early 50s in the November man.
  • Wow, I'm definitely going to save this video for later! Missed the stream. But I'm glad it turned out alright! Pierce is a class act.
    This literally felt like someone had convinced him to do a livestream and was wonderfully open and warm in that same manner of someone trying to give it a go for the first time.

Not a whole lot in terms of new stuff but some interesting tidbits and new flashes due to it being straight from the horse's mouth.
    Of course he'd be in Hawaii complete with lovely backdrop and Hawaiian shirt.

His sense of gallantry and genuine warmth really came through and I found it very endearing when he kept checking stuff out and flipping through the printed notes.

In ways it felt like his DAD commentary but looser and more open due to the recording not being in a studio.

It'd be a dream to get more commentaries like Roger did. Those are absolute gold gems.
    Sometimes it does help to get in a second voice or an interviewer to help drive the discussion along much like the questions did here. In fact the best of the old EON official commentaries before Roger did his was the off the cuff chat between MGW and Campbell on the GE commentary track. The rest of the Cork produced ones are invaluable and like the documentaries but even more loaded with information. Then the legendary Criterion commentaries are like precious uncensored time capsules.