NEW 2021 UPDATES ON 'Quick Big Mi6 Bond Ranking Game': JOIN IN, FOLKS!

Comments

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited April 2021 Posts: 1,690
    Dwayne wrote: »

Its’ only real weaknesses – and they are significant IMO - are the mid-tier nature of the two villains, and the geo-politics of “Bond in Afghanistan.” That last issue has not aged well!

I think that element works fine. I'm no expert on the region by any means, but surely the Afghan resistance to Soviet occupation was not entirely Taliban? This always sounds to me like some kind of simplification so someone can make a "Hey, did you know Bond teamed up with al-Qaeda in the 80s?! lol" YouTube video or clickbait article.

The policy of supporting the resistance certainly made sense for the time. The wonderful "Charlie Wilson's War" (here you can see the shallowness of my background knowledge!) makes the argument that America's stupid mistake was to totally neglect the country in terms of aid after American goals were met vis-a-vis the USSR.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I like the two villains, though Koskov should have died in that jeep.

I agree, there was no reason to keep him alive till the end. Having the jeep explode would've been a satisfying demise for Koskov.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I'm surprised to see love in here for the showdown with Whitaker. It's a highlight for me too, but I always thought it was generally considered one of the bad bits, especially by folks not completely in love with the film as a whole.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Dwayne wrote: »

Its’ only real weaknesses – and they are significant IMO - are the mid-tier nature of the two villains, and the geo-politics of “Bond in Afghanistan.” That last issue has not aged well!

I think that element works fine. I'm no expert on the region by any means, but surely the Afghan resistance to Soviet occupation was not entirely Taliban? This always sounds to me like some kind of simplification so someone can make a "Hey, did you know Bond teamed up with al-Qaeda in the 80s?! lol" YouTube video or clickbait article.

The policy of supporting the resistance certainly made sense for the time. The wonderful "Charlie Wilson's War" (here you can see the shallowness of my background knowledge!) makes the argument that America's stupid mistake was to totally neglect the country in terms of aid after American goals were met vis-a-vis the USSR.

It is indeed an overly simplified assessment that all Mujahideen fractions became Taliban. It is in fact well-documented that that is a false assumption. The Afghan Mujahideen consisted of several groups, that were ideologically different from each other. When the Soviets eventually left, a civil war broke out in Afghanistan between these fractions. This conflict was won by those who later became the Taliban.

If you're interested, these are interesting reads:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan_conflict_(1978%E2%80%93present)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Civil_War_(1992%E2%80%931996)

So no, Bond didn't team up with the Taliban, I doubt Kamran Shah would have become one given his friendship with Bond and Kara ;)

Anyway, I'll be back later with our Number 4.
    I'm surprised to see love in here for the showdown with Whitaker. It's a highlight for me too, but I always thought it was generally considered one of the bad bits, especially by folks not completely in love with the film as a whole.

Yes, it usually gets a bad press around here! I love it. Its a well executed set piece, and love Whitakers laugh just before his demise!
    Dont know why the villains get such a rough time. Koskov is not a physical foe, but he is is a slimy character, and makes an impression,Necros is one of the best henchmen and as for Whitaker, Joe Don Baker is far better here than as that moronic Jack Wade idiot!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    TLD collected 1st place, two 2nd places, three 3rd places, two 4th places and two 5th places. It ended up in nine more top 10's. No less than five members ranked it 9th.

I was the only one who put it top?? I discard the lot of you.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    TLD collected 1st place, two 2nd places, three 3rd places, two 4th places and two 5th places. It ended up in nine more top 10's. No less than five members ranked it 9th.

I was the only one who put it top?? I discard the lot of you.

I did it put it 2nd, only marginally behind the glorious OHMSS!
    @Agent_99 I put it second after LTK, so that isn't too bad either ;)

Anyway, let's move on to our number 4.

STARRING
    Sean Connery as James Bond 007

WITH
    Honor Blackman, Gert Fröbe, Harold Sakata & Shirley Eaton

Pussy%2BGalore%2BRolex%2BGMT-Master%2BPoster%2Bfrom%2BGoldfinger.jpg

GF appears to be the eternal number 4 here, edging out all others except the eternal top 3.

GF recorded two 1st places, one 2nd place, one 3rd place, two 4th places and three 5th places.

Twelve additional top 10's were noted. Eight of those were within the top 7.

No bottom 5's for GF. Its worst ranking was one 16th place, that's quite impressive. Even more so because it's the highest lowest ranking of the whole contest.

In total GF managed to collect 189 points.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    For the last 40 years this and OHMSS have battled for the no 1 position for me. For the last few years this has been second, and OHMSS first. Glad it at least made it into the top five here.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's good to see GF finish this high. Awesome film, the "quintessential Bond film" even? Probably. It's fair to say that without GF, the series wouldn't be where it is today.
    Have to admit GF has fallen out of favour with me
    lately. Last few viewings haven't been good! Yes the classic scenes, pts, card game, Shirleys golden moment, the golf match, Q scene, aston chase, to name a few are all still superb..... but once we get to Kentucky, namely after the laser set piece, the film dips, and as someone said before, its no fun watching Bond sitting idly in a cell! Have never been fond of Honor Blackman either, I never found her attractive or alluring. The film picks up of course for the finale. Must give it another watch soon!
    Still, a worthy place for this iconic Bond movie!
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Gothenburg, Sweden
    edited April 2021 Posts: 1,334
    Goldfinger is my #1. It was the first Bond film I ever saw, back in 1997 on a friday night rerun, at the age of 9. And for that it will always be very special to me.
    And in addition to starting my fascination with the series, I really think it has everything that makes the movies so good.
    Sure it has some pacing problems, the Kentucky part isn’t nearly as good as the excellent first hour, the golf match goes on a little too long, and so on.
    But all those iconic aspects presented easily overshines every possible downsides, at least for me. The PTS, the theme song, the whole miami part, Jill Masterson painted in gold, Oddjob and his hat, the DB-5, the battle of Fort Knox. It’s as good as it can get imo.
    It’s the one Bond movie I would pick if I had to watch just one for the rest of my life.
    It may not be the objectively best one filmwise in the series, that position may go to FRWL, OHMSS or CR. But it’s definitely my favorite one, and I don’t think that’s ever going to change.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Have to admit GF has fallen out of favour with me
    lately. Last few viewings haven't been good! Yes the classic scenes, pts, card game, Shirleys golden moment, the golf match, Q scene, aston chase, to name a few are all still superb..... but once we get to Kentucky, namely after the laser set piece, the film dips, and as someone said before, its no fun watching Bond sitting idly in a cell! Have never been fond of Honor Blackman either, I never found her attractive or alluring. The film picks up of course for the finale. Must give it another watch soon!
    Still, a worthy place for this iconic Bond movie!

When Boyle left Bond 25, we may have been spared this again!
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Goldfinger, that’s the one with Roger Moore, JW Pepper, that midget and her off The Wicker Man in a bikini right? Not surprised that’s got to number 4! 👍
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Total classic through and through, one of the best.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    GF #6 - best 30 minutes in the entire franchise.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited April 2021 Posts: 2,625
    Ah…Goldfinger! The very title brings back memories of the “ABC Sunday Night Movie!”

Monday’s Homework Completed ✓
    Sunday Diner Cleaned-up ✓
    “jiffy pop” popcorn popped ✓

…..It’s time for BOND!!!!!

I had GF at #4.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/3952/the-first-bond-movie-was-shown-on-us-television-40-years-ago-today
  • Usually GF is a top 5 for me, but unfortunately it dropped like a stone with my most recent viewing to number 12 (just behind Thunderball which would have been unthinkable to me before). I hope I just wasn’t in the mood for it, but I really felt the Hamilton’s direction was a big step down from Young’s this time with less visual splendor, and an emphasis on gags over intrigue. Bond’s passivity throughout the back-half bothered me in a way it never has before, and outside of the switchback roads of Switzerland and the PTS a lot of the locations are a bit drab. I hate to dump on a movie that I have loved so much in the past but I had quite a harsh turn around on it. Hopefully subsequent revisits will restore it a bit in my eyes.
  • Love GF, dropped to #6 this time. The Terence Young films have edged it out on my last 60's Bondathon!
    For me GF is good, but it's never been an absolute favourite. Never liked the whole segment at Auric Stud. Except for the mint julip conversation.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    GF is my number 11. Same reason as many others mentioned: Fantastic first half (PTS, Miami, golf, Switzerland), solid but almost disappointing (compared to what we have before) second half. Bond is doing almost nothing relevant in the second half. If I remember it correctly, even Connery critisizedabout the screenplay thataccording Bond is a prisoner way too long (according to the Taschen book).
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    (referring to the previous rankings)

1. TLD
    2. GF
    3. FRWL
    4. OHMSS
    5. CR
    I just came to the realisation that tomorrow will be our final reveal-day. Wish this could go on and on, providing stats, looking for posters and reading your thoughts. It has been a lot of fun.

Today we move on to our bronze medalist:

STARRING
    Sean Connery as James Bond 007

WITH
    Daniela Bianchi, Lotte Lenya, Robert Shaw & Pedro Armendáriz

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE

MUSIC BY John Barry
    DIRECTED BY Terence Young

james-bond-bons-baisers-de-russie-007-est-de-retour-47125-arme-affiche-ancienne.jpg.960x0_q85_upscale.jpg

Strong showing from this fan favourite, with four 1st places, four 2nd places, one 3rd place, six 4th places and two 5th places.

Five more top 10 places were noted, all of them inside the top 7.

No bottom 5's for Sean the Second, allthough two members did rank it 20th.

We cross the line of 200+ points, with FRWL collecting 203 points in total.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Have considered FRWL #1 since around 1996, but now and then it'll switch places with CR. I put it ahead of CR this time, taking into account that it's a no-nonsense espionage thriller with the OG Bond. So, so good from start to end, I don't feel it drag anywhere. The amazing use of locations helps us forget that the film lacks that Ken Adam touch.
    I must say, I'm rather surprised. FRWL is usually considered the best Bond film. (Those two members who placed the film at number 20 were drunk, stoned or held at gunpoint by anti-Bond terrorists, no other explanation possible. ;-) ) Seriously, though, this is going to be a beautiful top 3 no matter what. And what can I say about FRWL except that it is one of the absolute highlights, not just in the Bond series, but among spy thrillers in general. A film worth seeing, whether you're a Bond fan or not. Connery is at his best here. Barry provides an excellent score. Young, Hunt, ..., look, everybody brought their A-game to this film.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    This is the one with Roger, Agent XXX and the big bloke with metal teeth right? I love this film too ... 👍
  • #6 for me. These days I prefer Dr. No from Connery’s films. FRWL is still a great film but I really think it should have been structured to climax at the train fight like the novel does, as the two big action scenes right after feel like dead weight to me. Awesome movie though, there were just 5 I liked even more.
    I think the climax-as-dead-weight argument can ultimately be applied to many of the Bond films. They always seem to be looking for the cheap thrills at the end, and sometimes less really is more. FRWL, indeed, is no exception. However, while the boat sequence may have been pretty redundant, I like the final confrontation with Klebb. That moment "corrects" the five minutes before that.
    I really can't find any fault in this one. Amongst the best in every aspect, both in as well as outside the series.

I even like the helicopter chase, the boat chase and the final scenes in Venice. Don't have any problems with any of those whatsoever.

It's my number 4, behind personal favourites LTK, TLD and OHMSS.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Classic in every way, pretty surprised it didn't make it even higher than it did.