NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think Kitchen's Tanner was right at all (it never felt right having Bond call him 'Tanner' for starters) but I did love him anyway because he was Michael Kitchen! :)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The way I see it, Nomi wanted Bond back in the game and used reverse psychology to challenge him to return. Otherwise, why would she give him his phone, if not to entice him more? It’s the same tactic Mallory used in SF where he was pushing Bond into wanting to recommit to MI6.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think the film overuses the Spectre symbol...when Bond looks up at the ceiling and sees it, it's just too much.

The whole film is striving to move forward from the SP ending.

What it ultimately does is to make it Madeleine's story, not Bond's.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 2,897
    Fair enough. I always found that his Tanner worked in GE because there was more of a sense of comradery between him and Bond, albeit in a very specific, professional setting. I can see him and Brosnan's Bond playing golf together or having lunch. Plus, Kitchen just comes across how I imagine Tanner to look like going from the books. He's got a receding hairline, his tie is constantly undone, his suit looks a bit crumpled... there's just that sense that the man's under a lot of pressure all the time, but still has that likability and warmth to him.

Regardless, I don't think we've truly had a great Tanner onscreen. Perhaps they can try again and do more in the next one? My pick for the role would be Kingsley Ben-Adir.
    The books have the benefit of time to linger more on the MI6 characters where we get a lot more interaction, characterization, and insight into how Bond is biding his time between missions. Given the nature of film pacing that’s all condensed. Tanner is kinda lucky that Mike and Barbara decided to make him part of the films since GE, given how he was largely neglected during Cubby’s reign.
    I’m always torn between wanting more of Tanner, because ”Bond’s best friend in the service” is an interesting idea that nobody has ever explored, and thinking they should just ditch the character altogether. I like the idea of Bond having a mate, but is there really space in the runtime for it? And now that we’ve got Q and Moneypenny getting more lines and being more involved, do we really need Tanner at all? You could give all his lines to Moneypenny in the last couple of films and it’d make no difference. He is a bit pointless.

That’s why I liked the sound of one of the earlier Spectre drafts, where he turned traitor because he was worried about getting pushed out with all the sweeping changes that were happening to MI6. That could’ve been cool. The film and Tanner himself acknowledging how pointless he is and using that to drive a story. And his final scene, where Bond confronts him and he kills himself, would’ve finally given Kinnear something meaty to sink his teeth into.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    mtm wrote: »
    I don't think Kitchen's Tanner was right at all (it never felt right having Bond call him 'Tanner' for starters) but I did love him anyway because he was Michael Kitchen! :)

Interesting take! Kitchen's Tanner was my favourite; his chemistry with Brosnan felt the most similar to the Bill & James chemistry in the novels.

Just watched NTTD again last night: still really felt like top-tier Bond during most of the film. Still don't like Safin that much, and the ending did feel a little long this time around.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    He did at least get a couple of nice scenes in the two Mendes films- nothing at all in this one though.

Poor bastard didn't even get a reaction shot to Bond's death! It's actually kind of hilarious. He's out of focus in the background, with his mouth gaping open in shock. His mouth is probably like that because it's the only way to register what he's feeling when he's so out of focus. :))

Haha, he's delivering an Oscar-worthy performance in the background and no one is paying attention! :))
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I’m always torn between wanting more of Tanner, because ”Bond’s best friend in the service” is an interesting idea that nobody has ever explored, and thinking they should just ditch the character altogether. I like the idea of Bond having a mate, but is there really space in the runtime for it? And now that we’ve got Q and Moneypenny getting more lines and being more involved, do we really need Tanner at all? You could give all his lines to Moneypenny in the last couple of films and it’d make no difference. He is a bit pointless.

That’s why I liked the sound of one of the earlier Spectre drafts, where he turned traitor because he was worried about getting pushed out with all the sweeping changes that were happening to MI6. That could’ve been cool. The film and Tanner himself acknowledging how pointless he is and using that to drive a story. And his final scene, where Bond confronts him and he kills himself, would’ve finally given Kinnear something meaty to sink his teeth into.

Agreed. Use him properly or don't use him at all. And Kinnear is completely wasted on this iteration of Tanner. One of my least favourite parts of the Craig era.

Christ, was that actually something they wanted to do? Seems a bit out of character for even Kinnear's Tanner to me personally.

Anyway, it's true that the MI6 regulars during Craig's era was starting to look a bit cramped. You had M, a rather well used Moneypenny and Q, and then Tanner. After a point there's only so much they can contribute.

This is why I'm personally fine with making at least one cut to the MI6 team for the next one. No Q (I don't think Wishaw will return and he's a hard act to follow), perhaps think about having a Loeila Ponsonby type character who's closer to Bond/can provide exposition and give him gadgets or whatever, and then you have M and Tanner. Going from the last three Craig films there's plenty that these character can do even if they're confined to London/MI6, and you may as well allow them to have more well defined relationships with Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,951
    The way I see it, Nomi wanted Bond back in the game and used reverse psychology to challenge him to return. Otherwise, why would she give him his phone, if not to entice him more? It’s the same tactic Mallory used in SF where he was pushing Bond into wanting to recommit to MI6.

I feel like that doesn't really fit with how they act in the film though...? Must admit I can't recall the phone bit.

Interesting take! Kitchen's Tanner was my favourite; his chemistry with Brosnan felt the most similar to the Bill & James chemistry in the novels.

Nice to see you!

Yeah, I don't get the feeling that BrosBond sees Tanner as his friend at all to be honest- he acts quite... haughtily around him? They're not very matey. I know Craig isn't either but I don't get the sense that either Bond would ever confide in their respective Tanners.
    007HallY wrote: »

Christ, was that actually something they wanted to do? Seems a bit out of character for even Kinnear's Tanner to me personally.

Yeah I think having one of the established heroes turn traitor is a no-no; I think you're whipping the rug out from the audience too much, they don't want that.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I feel like that doesn't really fit with how they act in the film though...? Must admit I can't recall the phone bit.

Yeah I don't really see it that way at all. If that were the case, then it pretty much flies in the face of the insecurities the character displayed and also the scene with M upon Bond's return to London.
    Wasn't there a ditched plot early on where M was supposed to be a villain? From what I remember Fiennes said he didn't want Mallory to go that route and they scrapped it... I do wonder though, were they planning something similar to what they were going to do with Tanner here, but transposed it onto a more interesting character? Would make a lot of sense.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    'I know when a woman is afraid and pretending not to be' - that's the Vesper reference in SF.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Wasn't there a ditched plot early on where M was supposed to be a villain? From what I remember Fiennes said he didn't want Mallory to go that route and they scrapped it... I do wonder though, were they planning something similar to what they were going to do with Tanner here, but transposed it onto a more interesting character? Would make a lot of sense.

Yes, I think that was for NTTD wasn't it? Equally bad, I just don't think you can undermine our trust in the heroes to that extent. What they did with M in NTTD was on the edge of too much as it was; I don't mind him making a mistake, but breaking the law and creating a quite morally dodgy weapon is not what I want to see M doing.

Yes, I think that was for NTTD wasn't it? Equally bad, I just don't think you can undermine our trust in the heroes to that extent. What they did with M in NTTD was on the edge of too much as it was; I don't mind him making a mistake, but breaking the law and creating a quite morally dodgy weapon is not what I want to see M doing.

I think it was for SP, but the general idea of making M morally questionable fed into NTTD.

Yes, it's rather an odd creative decision isn't it? It's arguably out of character for Mallory too considering he seemed suspicious of the Nine Eyes programme in SP. I mean, surveillance apparently is a big no no, but a weaponised robot virus thingy is fine...
  • I absolutely hated the M subplot in NTTD, it felt completely out of character with how he was established in SF & SP. A big chunk of SF was about Mallory earning Bond and the audience’s respect as a capable leader who really gets what it means to be in Bond’s shoes, so to make him a villain, or (as NTTD did) an incompetent hypocrite just feels very out of step.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,928
    It's very out of character for Mallory. That's why Heracles should've been one of C's projects that M was ordered to continue and did so only reluctantly, out of duty, against his better judgement. There were already so many callbacks to SP, what's one more?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »
    It's very out of character for Mallory. That's why Heracles should've been one of C's projects that M was ordered to continue and did so only reluctantly, out of duty, against his better judgement. There were already so many callbacks to SP, what's one more?

I actually find that an interesting suggestion.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah there are parts of NTTD's story which I think do work, but I think there's also plenty which doesn't.
    I actually think that if I saw the two on paper, I'd say that Spectre's story would be the one which would hang together better than NTTD's, funnily enough.

Nomi handing Bond her phone at the end of their conversation is how Bond is able to contact M. That’s why when M answers the phone he thinks it’s Nomi but is then surprised to hear Bond’s voice instead.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah right, I've just had another look. Yes, that is a bit inexplicable actually, isn't it?
    And she ends the scene with "See you in Cuba..?". So, yes, I'm a bit muddled as to what she's after exactly.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2022 Posts: 8,034
    I always thought it was simply her goading him, in a kind of "if you don't believe me, check!" kind of way. And her anticipating him being in Cuba was more to do with her knowing the kind of guy he is from looking at his file. She already displayed knowledge of him at that point.

But then again, it could be a case of her hoping Bond would do the dirty work with Valdo at the party so she could snatch him off him afterwards, which is what she tries to do and fails. That could either be read as her using an asset, or another display of her insecurities (not being able to do the job on her own).

Interesting, either way.

That being said, I think the involvement of SPECTRE would have been enough to tempt Bond in the end, regardless.
    Venutius wrote: »

That’s a great idea. I wouldn’t have minded an M who’s a bit more of a baddy one day, could be a fun twist to explore. But it didn’t suit the character we’d seen in the last two.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 8,025
    That being said, I think the involvement of SPECTRE would have been enough to tempt Bond in the end, regardless.

It definitely seems to be a part of it. We see at his home he’s kept tabs on Blofeld/SPECTRE via newspaper clippings. Felix was counting on Bond wanting to join in because of them. And during his phone call with M he actually acknowledges SPECTRE being a part of the operation has his attention.

So why does he turn it down at first? I think they were trying to use the hero’s journey formula where the hero initially turns down the chance for an adventure before changing his mind. I don’t think it works for Bond’s character because he doesn’t seem like the type to just brush off SPECTRE. But this only takes up about five minutes so it’s mercifully never drawn out like it was in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES for example everyone ponders over whether Batman will come back for an hour.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I’m fine with Nomi joining in the climax. It’s rare to see two 00s on assignment together, given we’ve only seen it once with 006. The growing mutual respect between Bond and Nomi was one of my favorites elements in the flick.

I think the problem is there was never any reversal in their relationship: Bond never actually had any particular dislike for her, and she was set up as an antagonist but failed in all of their encounters - she never got the upper hand on him once. He didn't really learn anything from her, and all she really learnt was that he wasn't as much of a dick as she had presumed he was, which is okay but not hugely interesting.
    Her most useful role in the film was probably the climax because she gave someone for Bond to talk to and therefore explain to the audience what's going on. Beyond that you could take her out of the film and nothing would change, which isn't a great sign considering that she's supposed to be one of the main characters.

And considering how there were rumours of a black female Bond to replace 007 before the film was released, one can assume the character was nothing more than a PC token gesture, shoehorned in to grab the right kind of headlines that the producers wanted.

Agreed. For all the hype and her misleading amount of footage in the trailer, that's the only conclusion you can arrive at.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,512
    echo wrote: »
    I think the film overuses the Spectre symbol...when Bond looks up at the ceiling and sees it, it's just too much.

The whole film is striving to move forward from the SP ending.

What it ultimately does is to make it Madeleine's story, not Bond's.

That sums up my frustration with the film. For a film were Bond is lead to sacrifice himself it should focus on him. There's too many narrative story threads, it should be entirely focused on Bond and his journey/reasoning for his sacrifice

Perhaps more time in Matera and Jamaica, and less time in London and potentially on Madeline's flashback would improved that
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m fine with Nomi joining in the climax. It’s rare to see two 00s on assignment together, given we’ve only seen it once with 006. The growing mutual respect between Bond and Nomi was one of my favorites elements in the flick.

I think the problem is there was never any reversal in their relationship: Bond never actually had any particular dislike for her, and she was set up as an antagonist but failed in all of their encounters - she never got the upper hand on him once. He didn't really learn anything from her, and all she really learnt was that he wasn't as much of a dick as she had presumed he was, which is okay but not hugely interesting.
    Her most useful role in the film was probably the climax because she gave someone for Bond to talk to and therefore explain to the audience what's going on. Beyond that you could take her out of the film and nothing would change, which isn't a great sign considering that she's supposed to be one of the main characters.

And considering how there were rumours of a black female Bond to replace 007 before the film was released, one can assume the character was nothing more than a PC token gesture, shoehorned in to grab the right kind of headlines that the producers wanted.

I think that's a bit of a leap. One may equally assume that the presence of Tanner was a gesture towards bald men, as he has nothing to do in the film.
    I suspect that the story went through many changes, with versions where Nomi played more of a key part, and they kept changing it until they'd lost sight of what her role was.

It is amazing that people get so fixated on her being a black woman though: it was bad that she was a black woman when the trailer came out because she was definitely going to show up Bond up and be better than him and be a terrible overdose of woke; and when the film actually came out and she turned out to be slightly useless and Bond actually showed her up at every opportunity, then her actual ineffectiveness is a sign of token gestures etc.
    No matter how you use non-white and/or female characters nowadays, someone somewhere will find fault and a negative political angle in it. It's saddening.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    No matter how you use non-white and/or female characters nowadays, someone somewhere will find fault and a negative political angle in it. It's saddening.

And frustrating. People looking for the boogie(wo/man) around every corner, so they convince themselves that indeed the world is falling apart (rather than moving forward, evolving…)
    It's a bit tricky talking about a character like Nomi. She's slightly underwritten no doubt, although I'd argue that her function in the film wouldn't have extended much beyond what it was even if she'd been a slightly more interesting character. At the end of the day, the idea was to have a new 007 who was superficially the opposite of Bond. At first they have a mild antagonism towards each other, with Bond usually getting the upper hand, but by the end they develop a mutual respect for each other. Ultimately, she'd either die or Bond would become 007 again like we got in the film.

Now, the producers are not blind, and it's obviously the case that by casting a black woman to play a more 'by the book' character they were highlighting that sense that Nomi is Bond's opposite. I think Lynch was a great choice for the role, and she certainly had some great scenes with Craig's Bond. I have no doubt that the conscious decision to make Nomi a non-white character was always there. I highly doubt it was a case of colour blind casting.

Here's my issue though: as a creative decision that makes perfect sense. Lynch is a great fit for the role. Even if the producers thought they were being 'liberal' by casting a black woman in this particular role, there shouldn't be any issues. And yet, when the first trailer came out the most vocal complaints were from those seemingly annoyed that a black woman had become the new 007, that she ribs Bond for his age etc. The rumour of a black female taking over the role in the lead up to the film has nothing to do with the producers, and it's actually a spin on something I've seen a number of times over the years in various implausible forms (remember when Angelina Jolie was touted as a replacement to Brosnan's Bond? Or Will Smith?)

The fact is, most of the whinging, the snowflake-like complaints, the nastiness quite frankly, came from the anti-SJW camp on this particular occasion.