NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I took it as a serious response, "Gravity".
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Suspect that Wishaw's Q operates at such a level that he finds most questions a bit stupid and gets frustrated at having to dumb down his answers. Before the infiltration of Safin's lair, he was getting tetchier by the minute - which only made it funnier!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,951
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »
    "I assume you know how the stealthy bird works."
    "No, no idea."
    "Gravity."

I'm still not sure I entirely get that. The point of gliders is that they defy gravity. If it were a parachute it would work as a joke. I thought she was referring to the flashy light propulsion thing at the back, I'm still not sure what that is.

Gravity eventually brings it down. The gliders simply make sure you don't fall down fast. The thrusters at the back push the thing forward, but don't "fly" it "down". Lowering the altitude doesn't require anything, just "hold the gas" so to speak. So I suppose that what Q means is that if you want to leave the plane and touch the ground, all you need is gravity. ;-) But yeah, it's not really a joke as such; the joke, as I read it, is that Bond asked a stupid question according to Q, which is why he stated the obvious more as sarcasm. ;-)

Hmm. Yes, as you say, it doesn't really work as a joke then, or really make sense as a comment as it clearly has some sort of engine.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I took it as a serious response, "Gravity".

Yeah I genuinely took it as some sort of explanation as to what the flashing lights on the back were, and that we were going to receive a fuller explanation. But that didn't come. Very odd moment.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2022 Posts: 4,247
    I like Lynch's Nomi, but I would have preferred it more, if Bond took the glider into Safin's lair alone. It would have felt more suspenseful, dangerous and of course, more Bondian.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I like Lynch's Nomi, but I would have preferred it more, if Bond took the glider into Safin's lair alone. It would have felt more suspenseful, dangerous and of course, more Bondian.

Absolutely. Her presence throughout felt very forced, but it was really noticeable during the ending scenes. Totally unwarranted.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’m fine with Nomi joining in the climax. It’s rare to see two 00s on assignment together, given we’ve only seen it once with 006. The growing mutual respect between Bond and Nomi was one of my favorites elements in the flick.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Absolutely. Her presence throughout felt very forced, but it was really noticeable during the ending scenes. Totally unwarranted.

Yeah, it looked that way.
    I’m fine with Nomi joining in the climax. It’s rare to see two 00s on assignment together, given we’ve only seen it once with 006. The growing mutual respect between Bond and Nomi was one of my favorites elements in the flick.

Yeah, it's a tricky one. I like her. But we can see that immediately Nomi leaves, Craig's Bond reminds us he was the same Bond in CR & QoS, with Zimmer coming in with the awesome track Opening The Doors. One of my favourite Bond moments.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I finally sat down for my second viewing of NTTD the other day, wondering if I would warm up to it this time. The short answer is no, unfortunately I did not. I still find it to be one of my least favorite entries in the series. I just thought I'd share a few observations.

First off, the biggest problem (by far) with the film is that it continues the storyline from SP. From the moment I heard that Lea was coming back, I knew we were in trouble. SP was such a huge disappointment in my estimation that I knew the only way forward was to jettison it completely, whether that meant bringing in a new actor or not. If we had to continue on with Craig, then it was possible to start fresh, especially after such a long gap in between films. You could've easily thrown in a line about how it didn't work out with Madeliene. It also wouldn't have been difficult to mention Blofled's incarceration and subsequent disbanding of SPECTRE agents across the world. Just sprinkle those in somewhere along the way and give us something new. I've read some comments about how NTTD retroactively improves SP, but I must respectfully disagree. They're both stinkers.

Getting into the review proper, the PTS is waaaay too long. I mean, by the time the thing is finally over, half of QoS' runtime is through! I can remember all the criticisms concerning TWINE's overlong PTS back in the day (not that I disagree), but I have seen nothing about NTTD anywhere. Putting aside some minor complaints about the murder of Mrs. White (due to Mr. White's comments in SP), this is actually quite well done until... Safin's miraculous recovery. I'm sorry, but how does he survive? He was hit multiple times in the torso. I guess he was wearing a bulletproof vest? It's just that this happens in a film where we are later expected to believe that Bond sacrifices himself (in part) due to his potentially fatal gunshot wounds, so it's frustrating that they seem to have no effect on Safin whatsoever. There are so many things in the film that wouldn't bother me as much, or at all in some cases, if it wasn't for that ending.

Next up, we get to Matera and the second biggest issue I have with the film. I'm sorry, but Craig and Seydoux just don't have good chemistry together. It's another holdover from SP that many fans seem to think has improved this time around, but I must respectfully disagree. Again, I wouldn't really care as much if the film wasn't trying to convince me that these two are destined for each other and Bond eventually gives his life to save hers. Let's face it, in AVTAK (just to throw out an example) it's easier to forgive the disconnect between Moore and Roberts because it's just a fun, adventure film. No-frills, in a sense. Here, the whole premise revolves around it. I don't have a problem with either of their performances individually, but I just don't buy the love story and remain completely uninvested.

I must give some credit where it's due and that is Craig's performance in the PTS. He's still in great shape for a man his age. He brought a physicality to the role that we haven't seen since the 60's. It still feels like I can see Bond's tortured soul when I look into Craig's eyes. The man is an incredible actor, and the next Bond has some very big shoes to fill, no doubt about it.

The visit to Vesper's grave seemed out of place. I know that it was in Fleming, but it doesn't fit at this point in the Craig timeline. I think this scene plays out better in the PTS of SP, before Bond meets Madeliene. There is a scene I like in SP, where Bond sees Vesper's interrogation tape and tosses it aside, where we can surmise that he is (at the very least) attempting to move on. Why not have him visit the grave at the beginning of that film instead? Then he discovers SPECTRE and Oberhauser, finds Madeliene and then the routine with Vesper's tape. Now the ending with him driving off with Madeliene really feels like he has made the choice to move on. Going back to Vesper now at the beginning of NTTD is just weird. Although, I sure wouldn't be surprised if we have yet another callback to Vesper in Bond 26, as they just can't seem to help themselves!

What's really confusing to me is how quickly Bond believes that Madeliene has betrayed him. I understand the man has trust issues and all, but still. He is going to take Blofeld's word over hers? Bolfeld? It didn't occur to him that there are still SPECTRE agents out there who might want him dead? It's just too big of a leap. It's as if he was looking for a reason to ditch her. Bond putting Madeliene on the train and telling her that she'll never see him again is about the coldest thing we've ever seen him do. Fair enough, as Craig's Bond in particular has learned that he must be cold and untrusting to survive. However, this becomes an issue for me later on when he dies for her. If there ever was a film that wanted to have its cake and eat it too, it's this one.

I have to agree with the majority of you that the Jamaica and Cuba section is the best part of the movie. I think this is largely due to the film not being bogged down by the baggage of the SP storyline. Although, yes, I know it culminates with Blofled's birthday party. However, imagine if the film started with stealing Heracles (preferably someone else besides SPECTRE) and then we catch up with Bond for the first time in Jamaica. Felix asks for his help and we're off to the races. There was no need to shoehorn Madeliene and Blofeld in this story at all. We could have spent a lot more time with Nomi and Paloma this way too.

Now as far as Nomi goes, she's probably my favorite part of the whole film, which is surprising considering the trailers made me think the opposite was going to be true. Just goes to show you that you have to wait and see the finished product before making any judgements. Ultimately though, she ends up being a huge missed opportunity. Someone said it way back in this thread, but the idea of Bond retiring and then returning to find out he's been replaced by a woman was an interesting idea and should've been explored more. However, the film is just too stuffed with other characters and ideas to focus on it. Lashana was great though and I wish we could've seen more of her in action, especially at the end, but I'll cover that later.

The Blofeld scene was alright. Waltz is still doing the jealous brother act, but thankfully it's been tamed down this time around. However, his death is completely unsatisfying. Honestly, the fact that all of SPECTRE was eliminated so quickly was a little irritating. Blofled's death in particular though was handled quite poorly. It happens offscreen and Bond doesn't even realize what he's done. This was not a fitting end for Bond's archnemesis, even the Waltz version.

Now, let's talk about Safin. It must be said that Rami Malek gives an incredibly weak performance, there's just no getting around it. I think it very well might be the worst (for a main villain) in the entire series. Which is a shame, because I don't think he's a bad actor. The only other thing I've seen him in is Bohemian Rhapsody and he was great in that. I have no idea what he's going for here. He has no presence. All I can see is him "acting" like a deranged individual. It comes off as very forced and unnatural. I was on the fence after my first viewing, but this sealed it. Again, it's only accentuated by the fact that this is (finally) the guy to have mortally wounded Bond, both physically and psychologically.

I think it was a mistake for him to achieve his lifelong ambition to eliminate SPECTRE so early on in the film, because after that we have no idea what's motivating him. He seems to want Madeliene and Mathilde to be his family, I suppose? He has a few vague lines about power and making the world a better place, but there is no clear explanation of why he wants to unleash the nanobots. Is it about the money? Is he mad? Your guess is as good as mine.

It really bothers me that Nomi was taken out of the action just to guide Madeliene and Mathilde to safety off the island. I understand the importance of saving the innocent civilians, but she's a 00 agent and she should've been there with Bond until the end, especially on a mission that was deemed so important. However, the script says that Bond must die so she conveniently gets out of the way. Nothing was more important to M than shutting down Heracles and I can't believe he'd have one of his agents just sitting around babysitting. No, if you have another 00 available, then you'd better get her back to that island to join the fight. They were on the verge of starting an "international incident" after all.

Finally, Bond's death still seems forced. I know they explained about the nanobots being forever and all that, but Bond just seems to give up at a moment's notice. He wants to save his family, but yet in the PTS he had no qualms whatsoever with abandoning Madeliene (and the child in her womb?) and going off to live the bachelor life in Jamaica. In fact, he's lived the majority of his life without the two of them and he's been just fine. Of course, having a child changes a person, hopefully for the better, and I understand the film wants us to believe he's sacrificing himself for them, but... I just don't buy it.

It would be more Bond's style to make everyone think he perished when he actually escaped to another remote part of the world and just maybe, in the meantime, he contacts Q and the genius quartermaster has found an antidote to the nanobots. What about Bond's gunshot wounds? Well, this is the same man who survived being shot and falling from a great height and somehow not drowning in the PTS of Skyfall, so it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he could have survived this, but then again that would actually require trying. This time Bond wants to give up. Maybe he's tired of it all?

I know I'm in the minority here, but there's just not much I enjoyed about the film. It did not earn the right to have all the OHMSS nods and playing WHATTITW at the end credits was just confusing. It only made me think of OHMSS. So, thank goodness the Craig era is finally over. I will forever be grateful for how he helped to revitalize Bond back in 2006, but his last two films just aren't for me. I haven't truly enjoyed a Bond film now since 2012. I know some of you have a strong dislike for QoS and (to a lesser extent) SF and I love those two, so we're all different and that's okay. Here's hoping the next one is better.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2022 Posts: 3,390
    pachazo wrote: »
    I finally sat down for my second viewing of NTTD the other day, wondering if I would warm up to it this time. The short answer is no, unfortunately I did not. I still find it to be one of my least favorite entries in the series. I just thought I'd share a few observations.

First off, the biggest problem (by far) with the film is that it continues the storyline from SP. From the moment I heard that Lea was coming back, I knew we were in trouble. SP was such a huge disappointment in my estimation that I knew the only way forward was to jettison it completely, whether that meant bringing in a new actor or not. If we had to continue on with Craig, then it was possible to start fresh, especially after such a long gap in between films. You could've easily thrown in a line about how it didn't work out with Madeliene. It also wouldn't have been difficult to mention Blofled's incarceration and subsequent disbanding of SPECTRE agents across the world. Just sprinkle those in somewhere along the way and give us something new. I've read some comments about how NTTD retroactively improves SP, but I must respectfully disagree. They're both stinkers.

Getting into the review proper, the PTS is waaaay too long. I mean, by the time the thing is finally over, half of QoS' runtime is through! I can remember all the criticisms concerning TWINE's overlong PTS back in the day (not that I disagree), but I have seen nothing about NTTD anywhere. Putting aside some minor complaints about the murder of Mrs. White (due to Mr. White's comments in SP), this is actually quite well done until... Safin's miraculous recovery. I'm sorry, but how does he survive? He was hit multiple times in the torso. I guess he was wearing a bulletproof vest? It's just that this happens in a film where we are later expected to believe that Bond sacrifices himself (in part) due to his potentially fatal gunshot wounds, so it's frustrating that they seem to have no effect on Safin whatsoever. There are so many things in the film that wouldn't bother me as much, or at all in some cases, if it wasn't for that ending.

Next up, we get to Matera and the second biggest issue I have with the film. I'm sorry, but Craig and Seydoux just don't have good chemistry together. It's another holdover from SP that many fans seem to think has improved this time around, but I must respectfully disagree. Again, I wouldn't really care as much if the film wasn't trying to convince me that these two are destined for each other and Bond eventually gives his life to save hers. Let's face it, in AVTAK (just to throw out an example) it's easier to forgive the disconnect between Moore and Roberts because it's just a fun, adventure film. No-frills, in a sense. Here, the whole premise revolves around it. I don't have a problem with either of their performances individually, but I just don't buy the love story and remain completely uninvested.

I must give some credit where it's due and that is Craig's performance in the PTS. He's still in great shape for a man his age. He brought a physicality to the role that we haven't seen since the 60's. It still feels like I can see Bond's tortured soul when I look into Craig's eyes. The man is an incredible actor, and the next Bond has some very big shoes to fill, no doubt about it.

The visit to Vesper's grave seemed out of place. I know that it was in Fleming, but it doesn't fit at this point in the Craig timeline. I think this scene plays out better in the PTS of SP, before Bond meets Madeliene. There is a scene I like in SP, where Bond sees Vesper's interrogation tape and tosses it aside, where we can surmise that he is (at the very least) attempting to move on. Why not have him visit the grave at the beginning of that film instead? Then he discovers SPECTRE and Oberhauser, finds Madeliene and then the routine with Vesper's tape. Now the ending with him driving off with Madeliene really feels like he has made the choice to move on. Going back to Vesper now at the beginning of NTTD is just weird. Although, I sure wouldn't be surprised if we have yet another callback to Vesper in Bond 26, as they just can't seem to help themselves!

What's really confusing to me is how quickly Bond believes that Madeliene has betrayed him. I understand the man has trust issues and all, but still. He is going to take Blofeld's word over hers? Bolfeld? It didn't occur to him that there are still SPECTRE agents out there who might want him dead? It's just too big of a leap. It's as if he was looking for a reason to ditch her. Bond putting Madeliene on the train and telling her that she'll never see him again is about the coldest thing we've ever seen him do. Fair enough, as Craig's Bond in particular has learned that he must be cold and untrusting to survive. However, this becomes an issue for me later on when he dies for her. If there ever was a film that wanted to have its cake and eat it too, it's this one.

I have to agree with the majority of you that the Jamaica and Cuba section is the best part of the movie. I think this is largely due to the film not being bogged down by the baggage of the SP storyline. Although, yes, I know it culminates with Blofled's birthday party. However, imagine if the film started with stealing Heracles (preferably someone else besides SPECTRE) and then we catch up with Bond for the first time in Jamaica. Felix asks for his help and we're off to the races. There was no need to shoehorn Madeliene and Blofeld in this story at all. We could have spent a lot more time with Nomi and Paloma this way too.

Now as far as Nomi goes, she's probably my favorite part of the whole film, which is surprising considering the trailers made me think the opposite was going to be true. Just goes to show you that you have to wait and see the finished product before making any judgements. Ultimately though, she ends up being a huge missed opportunity. Someone said it way back in this thread, but the idea of Bond retiring and then returning to find out he's been replaced by a woman was an interesting idea and should've been explored more. However, the film is just too stuffed with other characters and ideas to focus on it. Lashana was great though and I wish we could've seen more of her in action, especially at the end, but I'll cover that later.

The Blofeld scene was alright. Waltz is still doing the jealous brother act, but thankfully it's been tamed down this time around. However, his death is completely unsatisfying. Honestly, the fact that all of SPECTRE was eliminated so quickly was a little irritating. Blofled's death in particular though was handled quite poorly. It happens offscreen and Bond doesn't even realize what he's done. This was not a fitting end for Bond's archnemesis, even the Waltz version.

Now, let's talk about Safin. It must be said that Rami Malek gives an incredibly weak performance, there's just no getting around it. I think it very well might be the worst (for a main villain) in the entire series. Which is a shame, because I don't think he's a bad actor. The only other thing I've seen him in is Bohemian Rhapsody and he was great in that. I have no idea what he's going for here. He has no presence. All I can see is him "acting" like a deranged individual. It comes off as very forced and unnatural. I was on the fence after my first viewing, but this sealed it. Again, it's only accentuated by the fact that this is (finally) the guy to have mortally wounded Bond, both physically and psychologically.

I think it was a mistake for him to achieve his lifelong ambition to eliminate SPECTRE so early on in the film, because after that we have no idea what's motivating him. He seems to want Madeliene and Mathilde to be his family, I suppose? He has a few vague lines about power and making the world a better place, but there is no clear explanation of why he wants to unleash the nanobots. Is it about the money? Is he mad? Your guess is as good as mine.

It really bothers me that Nomi was taken out of the action just to guide Madeliene and Mathilde to safety off the island. I understand the importance of saving the innocent civilians, but she's a 00 agent and she should've been there with Bond until the end, especially on a mission that was deemed so important. However, the script says that Bond must die so she conveniently gets out of the way. Nothing was more important to M than shutting down Heracles and I can't believe he'd have one of his agents just sitting around babysitting. No, if you have another 00 available, then you'd better get her back to that island to join the fight. They were on the verge of starting an "international incident" after all.

Finally, Bond's death still seems forced. I know they explained about the nanobots being forever and all that, but Bond just seems to give up at a moment's notice. He wants to save his family, but yet in the PTS he had no qualms whatsoever with abandoning Madeliene (and the child in her womb?) and going off to live the bachelor life in Jamaica. In fact, he's lived the majority of his life without the two of them and he's been just fine. Of course, having a child changes a person, hopefully for the better, and I understand the film wants us to believe he's sacrificing himself for them, but... I just don't buy it.

It would be more Bond's style to make everyone think he perished when he actually escaped to another remote part of the world and just maybe, in the meantime, he contacts Q and the genius quartermaster has found an antidote to the nanobots. What about Bond's gunshot wounds? Well, this is the same man who survived being shot and falling from a great height and somehow not drowning in the PTS of Skyfall, so it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he could have survived this, but then again that would actually require trying. This time Bond wants to give up. Maybe he's tired of it all?

I know I'm in the minority here, but there's just not much I enjoyed about the film. It did not earn the right to have all the OHMSS nods and playing WHATTITW at the end credits was just confusing. It only made me think of OHMSS. So, thank goodness the Craig era is finally over. I will forever be grateful for how he helped to revitalize Bond back in 2006, but his last two films just aren't for me. I haven't truly enjoyed a Bond film now since 2012. I know some of you have a strong dislike for QoS and (to a lesser extent) SF and I love those two, so we're all different and that's okay. Here's hoping the next one is better.

What a great write up man! I agree with every word, we have almost the same feelings towards this film.

Agreed with this review 👍

1. I would enjoy it too had it been a stand-alone film, I think it would be good if Blofeld's comeuppance remained somewhat vague, that he'd been arrested and it would be left to the viewers' imaginations, like whatever happened to him was purely a speculation from the fans, and it's unique in the sense that he might be the first Bond 'Main' Villain to live another day.

2. Yes, really agreed about the whole Madeleine arc, it would be refreshing too had they said that it didn't worked out, typical like in the books where his relationship with Tiffany Case didn't worked, it's a move from the books that they still hadn't done yet, it would be refreshing to see instead of killing her off.

3. The child thing was quite a bit questionable for me these days, like okay Bond and Madeleine had sex ok, but it's too brief. What I mean here was Bond had sex with so many women and more explicit and longer than that with Madeleine, and in that sudden quick they have a child together?! For sure Bond already fathered more child before, and that torture scene in Casino Royale should make It hard for him to have a child at least, it should take maybe more weeks of sex before they could even have a child.

4. When it comes to Vesper, I don't like both either references to SP and NTTD, because for me, Bond already found his peace of mind at the ending of Quantum of Solace, she's even not that mentioned in Skyfall, means we expect Bond to move on from it, then to have her reference back in SP and him visiting her grave didn't made sense. So are they're saying here that QoS was really a mistake? Like all of what happened in that film was just nothing because Bond couldn't still move on from her death?

5. When it comes to PTS it's just a nitpickery from the filmmakers here, like who remembers that little backstory that Madeleine told in the train? I suspect no one remember it not even you mate, so to expand it here, magnified it here and made it more complicated was pure nonsense, there so many back stories from the other Bond Girls In the franchise that they didn't explored, but picked this one where no one even remembers it?

6. Agreed about Nomi taken out of the action, I understand that it's still Bond but it's also unbelievable to me that a 50+ years old something old man could take up a whole batallion in that base, without any help? And this was also the man who's been out of service and never got any training for 5 years, and yet could still eliminate all of Safin's armed men?! Unbelievable. And also Madeleine could take it all by herself without the need of Nomi, so why Nomi went with them? She's still a 00 Agent and Madeleine could take care all of that by herself, that babysitting thing and etc.

7. Bond's death for me was an overkill, Safin shot him many times and he could die from it, maybe those gunshots would make him a bit slow and weak and him getting out of island would ran out of time, and it's a lot more acceptable rather than that of Nanobots Are Forever nonsense.

All in all, it's a nonsense, over complicated film for me, and yes the main thing that ruined this film for me was it being a continuation of SP.

This film in my opinion should be just a stand-alone mission about Bond, Nomi, Paloma and Safin and his nanobots.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Nice review @pachazo , I enjoy the film a little bit more than you did, but I agree with many of your complaints.
    pachazo wrote: »

Bravo sir! Great review! =D>
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think the problem is there was never any reversal in their relationship: Bond never actually had any particular dislike for her, and she was set up as an antagonist but failed in all of their encounters - she never got the upper hand on him once. He didn't really learn anything from her, and all she really learnt was that he wasn't as much of a dick as she had presumed he was, which is okay but not hugely interesting.
    Her most useful role in the film was probably the climax because she gave someone for Bond to talk to and therefore explain to the audience what's going on. Beyond that you could take her out of the film and nothing would change, which isn't a great sign considering that she's supposed to be one of the main characters.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah, she doesn't really contribute to the narrative all that much. Which is a shame. The mutual respect element is lost as well as Bond isn't really disrespectful of her at any point. He mainly just parries her jibes.

Good idea for a character but unfortunately surplus to requirements in NTTD, I feel. The film doesn't really miss her when she's not around as the plot still keeps ticking without her.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, she doesn't really contribute to the narrative all that much. Which is a shame. The mutual respect element is lost as well as Bond isn't really disrespectful of her at any point. He mainly just parries her jibes.

Yeah Bond is never actually nasty to her, nor does he even particularly dislike her. Maybe he rubs her nose in it very slightly in a mildly jokey way when he returns to MI6, but he's more amused by her than affronted by her existence or anything. From his side of things, their relationship never develops- there's no sign of him ever doubting her capability for the job (he says she's young I think, that's about it). She just seems surprised when he reveals that by asking for her help (in a totally professional way) which seems almost a bit childish of her: real Double 0s would just get on with the job and not be so petty.
    Good idea for a character but unfortunately surplus to requirements in NTTD, I feel. The film doesn't really miss her when she's not around as the plot still keeps ticking without her.

If she had just got the upper hand on him once it might have lead to some development- even if she'd picked him out of the sea after the boat had sank in Cuba, that'd be some kind of 'what's the matter old man, can't swim?' sort of win for her and would mean that she has at least one valuable contribution to the story.

It's funny, all of these YouTube bigots saw the trailer and were frightened that a sassy black lady might take precedence over Bond and keep showing him up because white men are so downtrodden these days, but if anything the film went too far in the opposite direction! Even Roger and Pierce lost a couple of times sparring with their secret agent ladies in TSWLM and TND: if you're doing a buddy cop situation you need both of them to lose a couple of rounds before they team up at the end: you can't just have Bond being the best the whole time.

I think the problem is there was never any reversal in their relationship: Bond never actually had any particular dislike for her, and she was set up as an antagonist but failed in all of their encounters - she never got the upper hand on him once. He didn't really learn anything from her, and all she really learnt was that he wasn't as much of a dick as she had presumed he was, which is okay but not hugely interesting.
    Her most useful role in the film was probably the climax because she gave someone for Bond to talk to and therefore explain to the audience what's going on. Beyond that you could take her out of the film and nothing would change, which isn't a great sign considering that she's supposed to be one of the main characters.

And considering how there were rumours of a black female Bond to replace 007 before the film was released, one can assume the character was nothing more than a PC token gesture, shoehorned in to grab the right kind of headlines that the producers wanted.
    Though I'm fine with Nomi, but to be honest outside of Paloma, none of the female characters in NTTD are great and that includes Moneypenny as well (she's great in Skyfall, and good in SPECTRE but here in NTTD, she became less interesting as well).

None of the female characters worked for me in NTTD, even Paloma who's the bright part of that film didn't grow with me mainly because of her very brief screentime, she's great, but her very short screentime makes it hard for me to compare her along the likes of the other great Bond Girls.

Since Skyfall, the female characters became less interesting.
    That's the thing: it's hard not to suspect that Nomi pretty much originated as a sight gag, shoehorned in so that M could say 'Where's 007?' and a black woman walks in. Main characters deserve more than that, don't they?
    Venutius wrote: »
    That's the thing: it's hard not to suspect that Nomi pretty much originated as a sight gag, shoehorned in so that M could say 'Where's 007?' and a black woman walks in. Main characters deserve more than that, don't they?

Agreed, Nomi deserved more than that, Lashana Lynch is a great actress, but they didn't fleshed out the character's full potential.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Though I'm fine with Nomi, but to be honest outside of Paloma, none of the female characters in NTTD are great and that includes Moneypenny as well (she's great in Skyfall, and good in SPECTRE but here in NTTD, she became less interesting as well).

Yeah I felt a bit sad for Harris in this; she's given so little to do, and I really liked the dynamic of her relationship with CraigBond. She still got slightly more than Kinnear though I guess! :D
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Rory Kinnear is like the most underutilized performer in any of these movies. He's a fantastic actor.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He did at least get a couple of nice scenes in the two Mendes films- nothing at all in this one though.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited July 2022 Posts: 554
    He did at least get a couple of nice scenes in the two Mendes films- nothing at all in this one though.
    Sometimes I think they should've just killed him in the Inquiry shootout. It would've been memorable at least.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

Poor bastard didn't even get a reaction shot to Bond's death! It's actually kind of hilarious. He's out of focus in the background, with his mouth gaping open in shock. His mouth is probably like that because it's the only way to register what he's feeling when he's so out of focus. :))
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Would have been better if they kept Villiers in QoS and binned Tanner. The character is best used sparingly, as in the Moore and Brosnan eras. In the Craig era he just seems like M or Bond's lackey.
    Maybe we could have this as a category for a Klebbie? The Most Underutilized Actor/Actresses?
    @thedove ? There's so many to nominate and one of them was Rory Kinnear.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    echo wrote: »
    Would have been better if they kept Villiers in QoS and binned Tanner.

Did they choose to bin Villiers? I imagine Tobias Menzies was probably busy as he's very in demand.
    echo wrote: »
    The character is best used sparingly, as in the Moore and Brosnan eras. In the Craig era he just seems like M or Bond's lackey.

He kind of is M's lackey, isn't he?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I didn't know this until today while having a glimpse through Kinnear's bio - but he's the Godson of Judi Dench's late husband, Michael Williams, who died in 2001. It's nice that he was her Tanner.
    I actually wondered if they'd blurred Rory in post because he was over-emoting too much compared to the stoic front of the others!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Maybe we could have this as a category for a Klebbie? The Most Underutilized Actor/Actresses?
    @thedove ? There's so many to nominate and one of them was Rory Kinnear.

Love that category! Yes I shall cue it up for a Klebbie!
    I do feel bad for Kinnear. The guy's a great actor, but his Tanner serves absolutely no purpose after a point in Craig's films. Then again, Tanner's rarely been used right in the films (except for Michael Kitchen's portrayal I'd say).