Weekly Bond Poll: Round 59: secondary Bond girls & helicopter flights

Comments

• Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    I’ve also got to go with OP, one of Roger’s best action moments, and he plays it with determination and confidence.

I really like both train scenes, and there are many parallels between them. As a kid I loved the jump scare of Jaws appearing in the closet, and being a big Roger fan I can’t help being a big Jaws fan as well. But I particularly love the build up and tension in the Tee Hee fight - his reveal in the mail sack, Solitaire asking for the door to be locked when it is really Tee Hee gaining entry, the near caress of Solitaire with the hook as she waxes lyrical - then the audacity of slamming the cabin bed shut. If I was Bond I would have kept the mechanical arm as a souvenir at the end, but other than that it’s a definite Tee Hee win for me.
    Digger in SF & Bond vs. Jaws.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Results of round 25:
    Car on rails and jumping on train (OP) wins against digger and jump in train (SF): 7:2
    Roger Moore's train fights: Bond vs. Jaws wins 6:3 against Bond vs. Tee Hee

Round 26: Moon/Graves introduction & scores from climax
    I have to admit that the two questions today aren't really linked. I hope this doesn't reduce the fun.
    A) Which of Moon's (Graves) introductions do you prefer: "Find me a new anger therapist" vs. London Calling

B) Which track during the climax do you prefer: "Bond Averts World War Three" (YOLT) vs. "Golden Gate Fight" (AVTAK)

• peterpeter Toronto
    First one is easy!! “Find me a new anger therapist”. The actor who played Moon was far better and filled with so much anger, entitlement and danger. He was a real threat. Graves was a cartoon.

The second is harder, but I will go with YOLT.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    London Calling and AVTAK
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    A. London Calling, I like how it recalled TSWLM PTS with the Union Jack parachute.

B. "Bond Averts World War Three" (YOLT), easy because YOLT is my favorite John Barry Bond score.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    I'd say that Grave's introduction is one of the best moments in Die Another Day and Stephens really milks the smugness of his character. I also like the callback to The Spy Who Loved Me with the Union Jack parachute.

This is hard one, but I think I'm going to with You Only Live Twice despite my love for Barry's work in A View To A Kill.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    This has quickly become one of my favourite weekly threads. Kudos to @goldenswissroyale for keeping it fresh and interesting. :-bd

I think both scenes be it Moon or Graves work well.
    Moon has severe anger issues, and is clearly a dangerous man.
    Graves is a smug, confident business man.
    I'll go with Graves as I really enjoy his character. Toby Stephens I feel is rather underrated in the role.
    (On a side note, I guess the DNA replacement therapy also hinders your ability to perform martial arts. Moon kicked Bonds butt in the PTS of DAD, yet Graves doesn't put up the same fight at the climax of the film.)

Second match is much harder. YOLT and AVTAK represent two of my favourite John Barry scores. The climactic scores for both are wonderful. But there can be only one winner. And by a nose, it goes too...YOLT
    Thanks @Benny. I'm glad you like it. I thought about end this poll since there haven't been many votes recently. But I decided to go on because some of you really seem to enjoy it as much as I do.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,401
    And I also think that Graves is underrated although I can understand why he isn't liked. Stephens plays him very well, the problem is that he has to play a slimy snob with only little possibilities to shine.
    Thanks @Benny. I'm glad you like it. I thought about end this poll since there haven't been many votes recently. But I decided to go on because some of you really seem to enjoy it as much as I do.

I can understand your comment about getting fewer votes, but like Benny this is one of my favourite threads and I look forward to your choices each week. I’m glad you’ve decided to keep it going. There does seem to be less activity here recently, and that’s probably due both in part to the delay to NTTD and of course the unfolding situation across Europe and the world. But we need little fun diversions at this time to keep us grounded and your thread is one of them! 👍👏

London Calling - as a Brit I do enjoy these little scenes set in the UK, and Bond stood outside Buckingham Palace is a lovely little moment, with an iconic song blasting out of the speakers to sing along to, a smarmy sneering pantomime villain (my kind of villain) and of course the lovely Miranda Frost! Fab!

AVTAK - I love the YOLT soundtrack, I love the AVTAK soundtrack, could go either way but I just find that track impossible not to hum along to, it gets my vote.

I can understand your comment about getting fewer votes, but like Benny this is one of my favourite threads and I look forward to your choices each week. I’m glad you’ve decided to keep it going. There does seem to be less activity here recently, and that’s probably due both in part to the delay to NTTD and of course the unfolding situation across Europe and the world. But we need little fun diversions at this time to keep us grounded and your thread is one of them! 👍👏

+1
    Your words are very kind and encouraging. Thanks a lot @Max_The_Parrot. This forum definitely is a great medicine against the crazy and sometimes stressful daily life.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I love this thread and eagerly look forward to it every week!!
    A fan of this thread too :-bd

London Calling as the song gives me goosebumps. The overall Graves intro scene is short and smart and banging, a highlight really in the film.

AVTAK and I cannot believe I even typed that...

The YOLT track is great, it must have been the 1960s version of Zimmer’s soundtrack to the emergency docking scene in Interstellar (No Time for Caution, I think the track’s called?), there’s something epic and urgent about both pieces. Cinema audiences back then must have been gripped. But I have heard it too often.

I have hardly ever watched AVTAK and had forgotten how fresh it sounds. So AVTAK it is
    I also make this thread a weekly Sunday morning destination as part of my weekend, sipping my coffee and having breakfast enjoying one of my favorite subjects, James Bond. I like it because it makes me think a little deeper and I probably go on too long in my posts although I resist other such games and am staying spoiler-free on NTTD, so this one works. If it's just me and goldenswissroyale I'll be there as long as he supplies the questions.

For the first, I'll take Anger Therapist. The thing I like is Moon and Zao are set up as physically dangerous and threatening men. Bond isn't going against a mogul, but a physical match and twice as much with Zao in the mix. The guy in the bag on the receiving end of Moon's rage is a nice touch. The Graves entrance is fun, too. He is too much the dandy and more like the stereotypical power guy.

For the second, I'm upfront as being maybe the only fan I know of who isn't a fan of Barry's AVTAK soundtrack. The Duran Duran track is one of my favorite themes and a shot in the arm. That aside AVTAK is probably my least favorite Barry Bond soundtrack. Not to say it's bad, I'm just not overly enthused by it or it's action theme. It has too much of a military drum march feel to it. Also minus points for Tanya Roberts interrupting the action with the whimpering "James" during the scene. I'm so glad Barry went out in a blaze of glory with his brilliant TLD.

From the moment the hint of the Bond theme comes up as Bond goes up against Hans has the energetic beginning and the space capsule theme when Bond averts WW III is the perfect capper. The space capsule theme is a great track that works with the film and just as a soundtrack listening experience.
    Thank you all for the support. You definitely convinced me to go on with this poll.
    And you don't write too much @BT3366, I appreciate all your thoughts and this goes for all the detailed comments from the other members, too.

Moon and his altered character Graves have fitting and therefore very different introductions. Both work well (once short and with punch, once spectacular and in a celebrating way). DAD is neither the first nor the last movie to use London Calling. But I love the song and it is perfect for the scene. As mentioned before, as soon as we see the Union Jack we think about the scene from TSWLM and somehow for a few seconds we (or was it only me?) believed that this is Bond. It's obviously not him but this guy definetely got my attention.

The climax score from YOLT is no doubt a strong track: atmospheric and helpful to increase the tension. I understand everyone who votes for it. It is maybe really the better track but I vote for the Golden Gate Fight anyway. It is a good action theme and it works very well in several scenes of the movie. I can't explain exactly why I love it, but the guitar is defintely a part of the reason. I'm looking forward to the guitar parts of the NTTD soundtrack.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I don't have much time this week, so I'll be brief. As others have already mentioned, this is a wonderful thread.

London Calling - This is one of the few over the top moments that I really like in DAD. A great tribute to TSWLM and a fitting introduction to Graves' ego. The song makes it all work.

Golden Gate Fight - Barry vs. Barry, so you can't go wrong with either pick. I prefer the YOLT soundtrack as a whole but I like this particular track from AVTAK a little more.
    Results of round 26:

Moon/Graves introduction: London Calling beats Anger Therapist 8 : 2

Barry scores: A tie between "Bond averts WW3" (YOLT) and Golden Gate Fight (AVTAK): 5 : 5

Round 27:
    Which character used as a "sidekick" during a chase do you enjoy more? Mrs. Bell as funny part of the plane action (LALD) vs. J. W. Pepper as funny part of the car action (TMWTGG)

Which stylish Bond moment do you prefer? First ride in the DB5 (CR: Bond surprises Solange as new owner of the Aston Martin DB5 and takes her for a surprsingly short ride) vs. Hotel upgrade (Bond doesn't accept the hotel chosen by Fields and takes a room in the Grand hotel instead)
    Both moments seem to impress the women as he makes out with Solange/Fields in the next scene...
    J.W.Pepper & DB5
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Another great round.
    I'll go with Mrs. Bell
    I quite like the plane chase in LALD. It's totally absurd, but still fits the story. A plane chase around an airport, without the plane actually flying. If anything it's inventive.
    Mrs. Bell is the unwitting passenger, who gets mixed up in Bonds attempt to escape Kananga's men. I love her exacerbated look as Bond pilots the plane toward the closing doors. 'Holy shit!'
    JW in TMWTGG is annoying and cartoonish. ~

Second match up is easy. The DB5
    Solange getting into the car, then realising it's Bond. accepting the drink at his place. Then Bond driving around the oval returning to the hotel. It's simple and quick. But quite cool.
    The upgrade hotel in QOS doesn't have the same effect for me. It's just Bond being a snob. Not that, that's bad. Just prefer the DB5 scene.
  • No comment on the first....
    Hotel Upgrade for the second....using a car to impress women is so cliche and a DB5 just winks Sean Connery to the audience and comes across as an unoriginal a stunt move.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Octopussy wrote: »
    J.W.Pepper & DB5

I am with Octopussy on this one.
    Blimey the first one is hard, because I hate both those scenes. Pepper is great (and I think necessary) in LALD, but he is rock bottom awful in Gun.

Mrs Bell then, by a hair.

Fields please. I can’t seem to find the, um, stationery
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Mrs. Bell
    Hotel Upgrade
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Pepper
    Hotel Upgrade
    I didn't expect that hotel upgrade would be in front.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I adore Sheriff JW Pepper. At first I was like why would a racist sheriff be vacationing in Thailand, let alone test driving an American car while there! But it's to ramp up the stupidity of the character to absurd levels, which I think is the intention of the filmmakers and it just works for me. Cracks me up every time now.

Hotel Upgrade. Craig's swagger throughout from telling her to get back in the car to altering their cover with the new hotel just oozes cool.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 565
    Mrs. Bell by a long shot! (1) She's not making racy comments. (2) She doesn't make the most political (and most stupid) comment in the entire Bond series. (3) How can anyone compete with her facial expressions!? Mrs. Bell is cheesy good fun whereas Pepper's return is grating and feels forced and tryhard.

EDIT: I suppose the OP said "during a chase," which means some of my comments above don't apply. That said my vote still goes to Mrs. Bell.

The DB5 scene perhaps doesn't have Bond as swave as he is playful. This playfulness humor works well with Craig and feels more unique to him. I love how he just goes around the block. The hotel upgrade is more a traditional scene, and I don't blame anyone for picking it, but I prefer the uniqueness of the other scene more.