Rank the Guy Hamiton Bonds films (Poll added)

123457»

Comments

• Goldfinger
    Diamonds Are Forever
    Live and Let Die
    The Man With the Golden Gun
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Hamburg, near the Atlantic Hotel
    1. GF - all the way. My #3 overall, but THE classical, iconic Bond film. Best villain ever. Best car ever. Without GF, there would not have been more Bond movies since no later than the late sixties.
    2. LALD - really no more than mid-field, but with a special place in my heart since seeing it in several cinemas three times in 1974...when I was 17. Also more fun than the majority of the Moore films.
    3. TMWTGG. Great villain, but really only so-so. Sheriff Pepper's return was unnecessary, and so was the slide whistle and a number of other things.
    4. DAF - actually a lousy movie overall (goofs, plot holes, toupees, pink ties...), and I don't know whether Hamilton deserves any credit, but it does have some of the funniest dialogue in the entire series. I like it less than most, but I like it
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing South Florida
    LALD
    DAF
    GF
    TMWTGG
  • ShakenNotStirredShakenNotStirred We All Have Our Secrets
    LALD
    DAF
    GF
    TMWTGG

Ditto for me. At least this time out, GF might trade with DAF.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing South Florida
    LALD
    DAF
    GF
    TMWTGG

Ditto for me. At least this time out, GF might trade with DAF.

DAF is easily my guiltiess pleasure of all the Bond films.
    Goldfinger
    The man with the golden gun
    Live and let die
    Diamonds are forever
    LALD
    DAF
    GF
    TMWTGG
    GF
    LALD

DAF & TMWTGG
  • edited June 14 Posts: 10,890
    GF

TMWTGG
    DAF

LALD

Amazing he directed so many really. He never matched GF or really came close tbh. All his other films have some great moments tho. Gun and Diamonds are rather underrated I think. LALD I find really hard to watch.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger regnifrednuhT
    Getafix wrote: »
    GF

TMWTGG
    DAF

LALD

Amazing he directed so many really. He never matched GF or really came close tbh. All his other films have some great moments tho. Gun and Diamonds are rather underrated I think. LALD I find really hard to watch.

As if I should have written this post myself.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Schloss Drache
    edited June 15 Posts: 13,106
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    My ranking:
    1. Goldfinger
    2. The Man with the Golden Gun
    3. Live and Let Die
    4. Diamonds Are Forever

That was my old ranking in this thread from back in 2013. I would now actually change that to:

1. Goldfinger
    2. Live and Let Die
    3. The Man with the Golden Gun
    4. Diamonds Are Forever

The reason for my change is that I've really gone off TMWTGG as a Bond film in the interim and rate LALD much higher than it now. That said, I really love the 1965 source novel and wish we'd seen more of that on the big screen instead of what we ended up with.
  • edited June 15 Posts: 2,946
    1. Goldfinger - Classic. Nothing more to be said.
    2. Diamonds Are Forever - It's nowhere near as good as its predecessor, OHMSS, but it still has Connery, which alone elevates it above a Moore movie. The story is principally Cubby's. Not sure what Saltzman did on this movie, but it lacks his classy, creative touch.
    3. Live and Let Die - This is more of Saltzman's movie and it's a step-up from DAF story-wise, but it lacks a convincing Bond performance from Moore.
    4. The Man With the Golden Gun - This movie is mostly down to Hamilton. Tom Mankiewicz walked off the project due to creative clashes with Hamilton and Cubby backed his director. Saltzman took a backseat and it shows again. What's left is a few good ideas floating in a pool of effluence. Only thing I know is Saltzman didn't get his way with the title song. He wanted Elton John, who was then signed to his music publishing company. We got Lulu instead. Thanks Cubby.