No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Burgess wrote: »
    ertert wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    NTTD released on streaming services???? Can’t see it happening.

If the virus/economic outlook isn't better by November, which by every indication it will not be...what other options would they have? Delay until 2021-2022?

Well, it ain’t good now so I rather the film have a fighting chance in November than a predictable loss in April.

Agreed but that's only if theaters in Asia will be open in November. Nothing indicates that to be the case, so I'm unsure what options they would have at that point.

I would fully support releasing it on streaming if things are not improved in 7 months. That way they can get it over with and start working on B26.

Delaying the film again to 2021 or 2022 or indefinitely means that much longer until they can make #26.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Other studios have more properties they can rely on tbh. This the biggest property MGM and EON have, so to release the film in April and suffer such a big loss at the box office, while causing backlash with the film's contents, would be ill advised.

Yep that's why I say they have to play it safe now they have no choice now they burned all their get out of jail free cards. Now they have to do this to make just a profit.
    I don't really understand what you mean though? The film's done. As other people have mentioned, the only thing that's gonna change by November is some new bits of marketing, maybe one final edit which won't change much and maybe some music changes but nothing drastic that'll effect characters or story.

I mean they painted themselves in such a corner they can't risk anything even if it came out in April people could have claimed back when they did push it to April only because of box office and it turns out it wasn't we simply don't know what is going on behind the scenes. But it seems strange why they would wait so long I know it's a bad virus and the film is done but that doesn't mean they are totally satisfied who knows what they will change or won't we know nothing at this point. We will only know the final product and after the film is out.

The worst part of it all is that the endless tampon is dr no speculation will now continue for more than 7 months.

Unfortunately that is true yes.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    Burgess wrote: »
    Other studios have more properties they can rely on tbh. This the biggest property MGM and EON have, so to release the film in April and suffer such a big loss at the box office, while causing backlash with the film's contents, would be ill advised.

Yep that's why I say they have to play it safe now they have no choice now they burned all their get out of jail free cards. Now they have to do this to make just a profit.

What get out of jail free cards are you talking about?

I'm not even going to bother whatever I say any of you won't like anyway. The free jail cards are the apeazing certain groups and some fans of Billie eilish. Like I said I'm not even going to comment about any of your peoples reactions I know I did now but I'm not in the future. Just putting it out there it's a losing situation and battle to fight anyways all they do is go after me.

110% incorrect.

Yep like I said above I'm not even going to do anything
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,861
    mtm wrote: »
    What's this tampon thing? I missed that.

I too would like to know.

Lynch spoke in The Hollywood Reporter about making Nomi feeling like a relatable woman, with questions about her appearance and making her a bit insecure. She then mentioned talking to Fukanaga about her character possibly being on her period in one scene.

Oh okay, thanks. It does sound a bit out of place and, well, normal for a Bond film, but I guess I don't know exactly what she was suggesting.

Has anybody actually read the Times article I wonder? Why do we think it's mentioned in that?
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I know NTTD is yet to come out, but I think one thing Eon can do to compensate fans after this 5 hard-waiting years, is to ensure the 7th Bond actor gets a movie out every 2yrs during his tenure.

Lynch spoke in The Hollywood Reporter about making Nomi feeling like a relatable woman, with questions about her appearance and making her a bit insecure. She then mentioned talking to Fukanaga about her character possibly being on her period in one scene.

Oh okay, thanks. It does sound a bit out of place and, well, normal for a Bond film, but I guess I don't know exactly what she was suggesting.

Has anybody actually read the Times article I wonder? Why do we think it's mentioned in that?

There is a paywall on it unfortunately.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Maybe EoN might consider partnering with Netflix for Bond 26 following this experience. Not sure how much of a purist BB or MGW is. This whole process has been so frustrating from a hardcore fan's point of view. Craig's reticence to commit to the franchise following SPECTRE was a big factor in the overall delay. He wields too much power. Well, he did. Please release the next ones in a timely manner. Please.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

You've not read it then? Why did you quote it and say they'd put a tampon scene in? I don't follow...?
    Maybe EoN might consider partnering with Netflix for Bond 26 following this experience. Not sure how much of a purist BB or MGW is. This whole process has been so frustrating from a hardcore fan's point of view. Craig's reticence to commit to the franchise following SPECTRE was a big factor in the overall delay. He wields too much power. Well, he did. Please release the next ones in a timely manner. Please.

I really hope they consider that for NTTD if theaters aren't open by November. A delay to 2021 or 2022 would be insane.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It's not gonna go to streaming. They're not gonna sacrifice anymore money.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126

You've not read it then? Why did you quote it and say they'd put a tampon scene in? I don't follow...?

@mtm Thats how the article started with the whole tampon thing and then it said if you want to read the rest you had to pay.
  • Just a suggestion, we could close to NTTD production thread since production is over.
    Also, those stickied threads at the top might as well be deleted for now, except for Billie's theme song.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I know NTTD is yet to come out, but I think one thing Eon can do to compensate fans after this 5 hard-waiting years, is to ensure the 7th Bond actor gets a movie out every 2yrs during his tenure.

That needn't even work as compensation, it's simply what the series should return to. It's not impossible and would earn them much more money at the end of the day (along with making it a shorter wait for those of us who haven't been impressed with the output recently). Two films since 2008 that I haven't cared for is painful.
  • RC7RC7
    JamesCraig wrote: »

I don't really understand what you mean though? The film's done. As other people have mentioned, the only thing that's gonna change by November is some new bits of marketing, maybe one final edit which won't change much and maybe some music changes but nothing drastic that'll effect characters or story.

I mean they painted themselves in such a corner they can't risk anything even if it came out in April people could have claimed back when they did push it to April only because of box office and it turns out it wasn't we simply don't know what is going on behind the scenes. But it seems strange why they would wait so long I know it's a bad virus and the film is done but that doesn't mean they are totally satisfied who knows what they will change or won't we know nothing at this point. We will only know the final product and after the film is out.

The worst part of it all is that the endless tampon is dr no speculation will now continue for more than 7 months.

Unfortunately that is true yes.

Yeah, if idiots keep bringing up.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Just a suggestion, we could close to NTTD production thread since production is over.
    Also, those stickied threads at the top might as well be deleted for now, except for Billie's theme song.

Not a bad idea.

Would they delay to 2021 or beyond if November doesn't work? Surely that would lose money as well.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just a suggestion, we could close to NTTD production thread since production is over.

Yeah I wouldn't mind those going: it's actually quite tricky to find the latest threads with all those cluttering the place up! :)
    I’m wondering how / if they’re going to be able to keep a lid on the story details from leaking with all the extra added time. I’m thinking there is a reasonable chance we may get to know what happens before the film actually arrives.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

Would they delay to 2021 or beyond if November doesn't work? Surely that would lose money as well.

I don’t think it would help much to worry about that for now. Currently, they’ve said November, in the hopes this virus has gone or at least is less worse by then. It’s impossible to predict the situation in November, so I’d be in favour of keeping hope.
    As things stand, we’ll see a new Bond movie in November, in cinemas. They’ll work on other solutions on an as-needed basis, but that’s currently not the plan or the intention.

Let us look forward to November, and count on a Bond film by then. This pessimistic viewpoint of ‘they’re gonna delay even more and the world is doomed’ is not something that’s helping us Bond fans going forward.

I don’t think it would help much to worry about that for now. Currently, they’ve said November, in the hopes this virus has gone or at least is less worse by then. It’s impossible to predict the situation in November, so I’d be in favour of keeping hope.
    As things stand, we’ll see a new Bond movie in November, in cinemas. They’ll work on other solutions on an as-needed basis, but that’s currently not the plan or the intention.

Let us look forward to November, and count on a Bond film by then. This pessimistic viewpoint of ‘they’re gonna delay even more and the world is doomed’ is not something that’s helping us Bond fans going forward.

My “pessimistic viewpoint” is more based on the bad pattern we’ve seen with this movie. Problem after problem, delay after delay - is it really pessimistic if I’m just stating I think it will be delayed again at this point after everything we’ve seen? More like realistic now. Believe me, I really wish things were different, but it is what it is.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That needn't even work as compensation, it's simply what the series should return to. It's not impossible and would earn them much more money at the end of the day (along with making it a shorter wait for those of us who haven't been impressed with the output recently). Two films since 2008 that I haven't cared for is painful.

Yeah, true. A 2yr gap was what the Bond series was all about & should be. But with the harrowing production process these days, I just couldn't think of any other word than 'Compensate'. Even if it isn't ideal that way. Tough time to be a Bond fan though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Tough time to be a Bond fan though.

Well there's a whole new film waiting for us ready to be released in a few months' time: so there have been worse times! :)
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 490

I appreciate your optimism but I do not think the world is doomed nor have I ever said that. This a serious global problem but it is not the end of the world by any means.

But there is no evidence that this will be gone by November. If it is like other known coronaviruses, it may die down in the summer but will absolutely be back in the Fall. Scientists are saying it will likely be with us forever as a seasonal illness and will continue to be a huge problem until we develop a vaccine.

None of this bodes well for sticking to a November release. There is no indication movie theaters will be open anytime in the near future so I would much rather have them release it via streaming then potentially look at a 2022 release date.

I guess the best barometer would be if Black Widow and Fast & Furious keep their release dates and do decently well despite theaters being closed all over the world, Universal may have confidence that they can stick with November, but again, all available evidence points to the contrary.

I would be more than happy to be proven wrong as I've dying to see this film ever since Cary stepped onboard.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Yeah, true. A 2yr gap was what the Bond series was all about & should be. But with the harrowing production process these days, I just couldn't think of any other word than 'Compensate'. Even if it isn't ideal that way. Tough time to be a Bond fan though.

Indeed. They just need to get back to plotting and writing the next film while the current one is filming. That way, a script is complete by the time marketing has begun and you can begin casting, pre-production, et cetera, giving you a full year to get to filming (or even sooner, allotting more time for post).
    I'd even be happy with 3-year gaps again at this point, but yes 2-year is the most nice-sounding option.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Totally shocked that Eon took this move and Disney have not with Mulan.

NTTD is due to get a boost in Asia, but Mulan was meant to be a beast in the region. The film is tracking for $90 million in the USA opening weekend and will postpone its China release. This surely was the best strategy for NTTD as well.....simply delaying the release in some territories.

I think the decision ultimately came from MGM as they only really have a cash-cow with the Bond franchise. Disney can take the punt and loose out with Mulan and even Black Widow as they have films in Q3 and Q4 to pick up the slack. MGM don't.

_107799228_mulan2020poster.jpg
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

I appreciate your optimism but I do not think the world is doomed nor have I ever said that. This a serious global problem but it is not the end of the world by any means.

But there is no evidence that this will be gone by November. If it is like other known coronaviruses, it may die down in the summer but will absolutely be back in the Fall. Scientists are saying it will likely be with us forever as a seasonal illness and will continue to be a huge problem until we develop a vaccine.

None of this bodes well for sticking to a November release. There is no indication movie theaters will be open anytime in the near future so I would much rather have them release it via streaming then potentially look at a 2022 release date.

I guess the best barometer would be if Black Widow and Fast & Furious keep their release dates and do decently well despite theaters being closed all over the world, Universal may have confidence that they can stick with November, but again, all available evidence points to the contrary.

I would be more than happy to be proven wrong as I've dying to see this film ever since Cary stepped onboard.

They aren’t thinking in a long-term vision now. They needed another date because releasing it now would be box office suicide. And they probably picked November because that’s Bond’s usual release date, they know Bond does well in November as opposed to the summer.

No one can say what the virus will do in November. It might come back, it might be gone. If there’s another delay, they’ll make that decision in October or November, not now.

As for releasing it on streaming, Barbara Broccoli’s comments on the matter are that Bond is a cinematic adventure, and it needs a theatrical release. If necessary, there will be another delay. But you bet that she’ll move it to 2021 or 2022 first before she gives in to streaming.

But for now, November it is.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 5,767
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Let's drop it. From what I have garnered, there is no "tampon" scene. There was simply a suggestion that at some point Lynch's character will say that she is on her period. I wouldn't get too troubled over that. I have a feeling that these next eight months are going to be complete Hell on these NTTD threads.
    At least for you poor mods. We footsoldiers can abstain if it gets too annoying ;-).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Totally shocked that Eon took this move and Disney have not with Mulan.

NTTD is due to get a boost in Asia, but Mulan was meant to be a beast in the region. The film is tracking for $90 million in the USA opening weekend and will postpone its China release. This surely was the best strategy for NTTD as well.....simply delaying the release in some territories.

I think the decision ultimately came from MGM as they only really have a cash-cow with the Bond franchise. Disney can take the punt and loose out with Mulan and even Black Widow as they have films in Q3 and Q4 to pick up the slack. MGM don't.

_107799228_mulan2020poster.jpg

One has to wonder what impact piracy would have had if they had simply postponed certain regions for whatever amount of time. Anything over a month in a delay, and you'd be taking a hit in those regions.

Black Widow is the closest comparable to Bond in this situation I think. I'll be very curious to see how that does.

They aren’t thinking in a long-term vision now. They needed another date because releasing it now would be box office suicide. And they probably picked November because that’s Bond’s usual release date, they know Bond does well in November as opposed to the summer.

No one can say what the virus will do in November. It might come back, it might be gone. If there’s another delay, they’ll make that decision in October or November, not now.

As for releasing it on streaming, Barbara Broccoli’s comments on the matter are that Bond is a cinematic adventure, and it needs a theatrical release. If necessary, there will be another delay. But you bet that she’ll move it to 2021 or 2022 first before she gives in to streaming.

But for now, November it is.

All very good points you've made. Thanks friend. Cheers.