No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,934
    It sure does makes it frustrating, but we'll see how those titles perform before calling Eon out on blinking first. I can't imagine Mulan earning anything close to what it originally was expected to.

F9 will probably do fine, but likewise will lose a sizeable chunk of its theatrical earnings. Asian audiences love Fast & Furious more than they love Star Wars.

Six months from now we could very easily be praising EON for their foresight, which would be nice considering that many here have damned them for their lack of it in the last while.

Although to be honest how many billions a film earns for their makers doesn't really matter to me: I doubt this film was ever in danger of flopping so I can't really praise Eon in their foresight for making themselves loads of money because it makes no difference to me- I'm not getting any of it! :D
    I suspect I can praise them in their foresight of avoiding lots of tiresome Carver Media News Group headlines about backlashes and outrage over the film containing a biohazard plot :)
    mtm wrote: »
    It sure does makes it frustrating, but we'll see how those titles perform before calling Eon out on blinking first. I can't imagine Mulan earning anything close to what it originally was expected to.

F9 will probably do fine, but likewise will lose a sizeable chunk of its theatrical earnings. Asian audiences love Fast & Furious more than they love Star Wars.

Six months from now we could very easily be praising EON for their foresight, which would be nice considering that many here have damned them for their lack of it in the last while.

Although to be honest how many billions a film earns for their makers doesn't really matter to me: I doubt this film was ever in danger of flopping so I can't really praise Eon in their foresight for making themselves loads of money because it makes no difference to me. I suspect I can praise them in their foresight of avoiding lots of tiresome Carver Media News Group headlines about backlashes and outrage over the film containing a biohazard plot :)

But you understand the NTTD’s box office success will allow Bond26 to get made, and that movies success will lead to Bond27?

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Burgess wrote: »

Although to be honest how many billions a film earns for their makers doesn't really matter to me: I doubt this film was ever in danger of flopping so I can't really praise Eon in their foresight for making themselves loads of money because it makes no difference to me. I suspect I can praise them in their foresight of avoiding lots of tiresome Carver Media News Group headlines about backlashes and outrage over the film containing a biohazard plot :)

But you understand the NTTD’s box office success will allow Bond26 to get made, and that movies success will lead to Bond27?

As I said: it was never going to flop. Even with the virus- if that was possible then none of these other films would be being released. They're just ensuring they get the maximum amount of money from it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,028

Although to be honest how many billions a film earns for their makers doesn't really matter to me: I doubt this film was ever in danger of flopping so I can't really praise Eon in their foresight for making themselves loads of money because it makes no difference to me- I'm not getting any of it! :D
    I suspect I can praise them in their foresight of avoiding lots of tiresome Carver Media News Group headlines about backlashes and outrage over the film containing a biohazard plot :)

Er, okay. Good to know, I guess. I'm not getting any either, but the point moreso was that people have levelled accusations of not being 'business savvy' or being "with it" in the past (I don't share that opinion, obviously!), not so much what the actual gross figure ends up as.

We'll have a better idea of whether it was a good move or not when the above mentioned films come out.

Well, even if the film made $700million, we'd still be getting Bond 26 with a possible 'stripped back' approach.
  • wetnellywetnelly Nearby
    Yes the money is the most important factor for the investors and studios.....but one can’t help but wonder if the storyline has material in it that could be considered close to the mark for enough neutrals to see it as poor taste...it’s all supposition but let’s face it; Porton Down is Infamous for germ and biological experimentation .....and that scene where they all collapse.....guess we’ll all find out in Nov
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Walecs wrote: »
    Hatred towards the 'injustice' of a film you wanted to see coming out on time? Hahaha!

I was talking about wars etc. and you know it. Again, straw man.

People are outraged because they're prigs. Nothing weird about that.

Please don't e mail me and call me a "moron".

I PMed you because you kept hijacking the thread. But apparently few here are adult enough to have a private conversation.
    wetnelly wrote: »
    Yes the money is the most important factor for the investors and studios.....but one can’t help but wonder if the storyline has material in it that could be considered close to the mark for enough neutrals to see it as poor taste...it’s all supposition but let’s face it; Porton Down is Infamous for germ and biological experimentation .....and that scene where they all collapse.....guess we’ll all find out in Nov

Quite unfortunate/unlucky if true!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

As I said: it was never going to flop. Even with the virus- if that was possible then none of these other films would be being released. They're just ensuring they get the maximum amount of money from it.

I booked and got my money back. The Everyman near me was half sold out on the day of release. The delay is annoying and IMO purely based on maximum profit and potential sensitivity issues in the plot. The second issue being nonsense IMO.

The whole plot is about a paid assassin ffs!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Er, okay. Good to know, I guess. I'm not getting any either, but the point moreso was that people have levelled accusations of not being 'business savvy' or being "with it" in the past (I don't share that opinion, obviously!), not so much what the actual gross figure ends up as.

I think, (when it comes to Bond anyway!) it's hard for those folk to argue they don't know how to make money! :D
    When it comes to other non-Bond thrillers, well then I'd probably not argue with them.. ;)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Hatred towards the 'injustice' of a film you wanted to see coming out on time? Hahaha!

I was talking about wars etc. and you know it. Again, straw man.

People are outraged because they're prigs. Nothing weird about that.

Please don't e mail me and call me a "moron".

I PMed you because you kept hijacking the thread. But apparently few here are adult enough to have a private conversation.

I can. :)>-

I think, (when it comes to Bond anyway!) it's hard to argue they don't know how to make money! :D

Well yes, but again, it wasn't necessarily only about the final gross $ figure. Moreso about them not being proactive in general.
    suavejmf wrote: »

I booked and got my money back. The Everyman near me was half sold out on the day of release. The delay is annoying and IMO purely based on maximum profit and potential sensitivity issues in the plot. The second issue being nonsense IMO.

I don't think it's fair to call it nonsense until we've actually seen the film. The plot could certainly hold up an eerie mirror for people, whereas the thing about Bond being a "paid assassin" is obviously not going to be relatable to the general public. Apples and oranges.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think, (when it comes to Bond anyway!) it's hard to argue they don't know how to make money! :D

Well yes, but again, it wasn't necessarily only about the final gross $ figure. Moreso about them not being proactive in general.

Er okay, good to know I guess...? I don't know how we're supposed to praise them for being proactive in eight months' time without looking at the final gross figure, but okay.

I don't think it's fair to call it nonsense until we've actually seen the film. The plot could certainly hold up an eerie mirror for people, whereas the thing about Bond being a "paid assassin" is obviously not going to be relatable to the general public. Apples and oranges.

Yeah I think that's certainly true: anything that claims there's an evil genius who looks like Freddie Mercury behind the recent sad tragic death of someone's hypothetical elderly auntie isn't going to seem very funny. Assassins are neither here nor there.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,028

Er okay, good to know I guess...? I don't know how we're supposed to praise them for being proactive in eight months' time without looking at the final gross figure, but okay.

You're making this far more complicated than it needs to be. By all means, have a look at the box office in eight months and judge them for it. However, for a long time, many people have been digging in against EON for not being proactive, and for not doing enough to get themselves out of messes in production. It'd be hard to damn them for being proactive here, especially if they manage to boost their returns in the process. That's all. They have always known how to make money, but they get criticised regardless. If they released the film and it made less than Spectre, the same people would find a way to make it EONs fault!

Yeah I think that's certainly true: anything that claims there's an evil genius who looks like Freddie Mercury behind the recent sad tragic death of someone's hypothetical elderly auntie isn't going to seem very funny. Assassins are neither here nor there.

Sigh.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 3,167
    Although I believe the media are all about media creating hysteria.

That's the problem. This is just a flu. People die everyday and no one bats an eye. Then a new virus comes around and everybody panics. Let's say that the media just started the new "panic trend" and everyone has to follow it. It's really annoying that Bond fans have to pay for this fooolishness.

I really really need you to realize that you're wrong about this. I work in a company that puts out the most prestigious academic journals in the world and am surrounded on daily basis by hundreds of doctors and scientists, all with MDs and PhDs, who spend every day reviewing the latest research and news coming in from all over the world and when this is the thing that they *all* talk about constantly, that means it's not foolishness or a "panic trend". This is not "just a flu"; the reported death rate from the WHO is 3.4% compared to a standard seasonal flu whose death rate is under 1%, and senior global health experts, including those in the US, are predicting that this will not be contained and could likely infect 40-70% of the population.

If those experts are really looking into facts they wouldn't come up with a "will not be contained and more than 4 billion will be infected"-statement!

Everyone can check the cold facts on the following link and see for themselves, that there are less and less daily cases globally. Since Feb 18th more people are recovering than getting infected. There's nothing - nothing - that indicates that the number will go up from 96.800 total cases to 4.000.000.000.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR1TrwCqUyZkor6NSd1DPfQriA-vETkxSm0wgZuK0AluACJ8W7LgcEGs5dY#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
  • Zekidk wrote: »

Everyone can check the cold facts on the following link and see for themselves, that there are less and less daily cases globally. Since Feb 18th more people are recovering than getting infected.

The USA has only literally just now started ramping up testing, and there still may not be enough test kits for everybody who qualifies. An hour ago New York City announced two more infected persons who don't report having any contact with travelers or with already known infected individuals, so the official numbers are still not caught up with the actual reality of what's happening.
    @outlawgenius

Correct - the official numbers are 2-3 days behind I've noticed. And so what? It reads "Feb 18th" not "4th of March."
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,314
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

You're making this far more complicated than it needs to be. By all means, have a look at the box office in eight months and judge them for it. However, for a long time, many people have been digging in against EON for not being proactive, and for not doing enough to get themselves out of messes in production. It'd be hard to damn them for being proactive here, especially if they manage to boost their returns in the process. That's all. They have always known how to make money, but they get criticised regardless. If they released the film and it made less than Spectre, the same people would find a way to make it EONs fault!

I honestly don't know what you're arguing about here.

Sigh.

What's the issue? I'm agreeing with you..? I think you're totally right.
    No Time To Sigh.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I'd rather risk getting the virus and seeing the film tbh.

You’re happy to pass it to any family members over 60 or young children and risk them dying then? So you can watch a movie?

Human beings are virus themselves. They've been destroying the planet, keep killing and torturing other people or animals, children are subject to child labour, wars and slavery are still a thing etc. Not OP here but yes, I'd be happy to pass the coronavirus to as many people as possible, even more so if a Bond movie was my reward for that.

Well done for admitting on a public forum that you are a sociopath. takes some balls.

I did read that as a joke originally, to be fair. Not something I'd joke about, personally. But I don't think @Walecs is seriously advocating for more people to die.

That is, of course, unless I missed something else he has posted.

Sigh.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom

Lol. Just another frustration.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    antovolk wrote: »

Ooh dear: a journalist wants me to read the piece he's written and he doesn't know the difference between 'everyday' and 'every day'? Try harder Mr Dean! :)

Lol. Just another frustration.

In a week full of them.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126

They seriously going to put a tampon scene in good grief. What has happened with Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    We should also take into account that after how The Rhythm Section performed, they can't suffer such a loss at the box office.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497
    007Blofeld wrote: »

They seriously going to put a tampon scene in good grief. What has happened with Bond.

Not this again.

I don't even know if it has been confirmed, but I do know that that "debate" was the reason that I didn't post much then.
    The whole situation is quite aggravating. Other movies are still coming out for other fans, and this is far from the first problem Bond 25 has encountered. If there hadn’t already been MULTIPLE delays and setbacks, this would be a little easier to swallow. November isn’t even nearly a guarantee either - just the newest date in a potentially still-growing list.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Not this again.

I don't even know if it has been confirmed, but I do know that that "debate" was the reason that I didn't post much then.

I hope some people at EON have some common sense left. Is there more to this article all I get is a paywall.