No Time to Die production thread

Comments

I know I’ve said this many times before, but I’m really hoping it means a novel YOLT approach, especially to end Craig’s Bond story. I should think most core fans would get behind this? Russian + Japanese influence is intriguing for sure.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Contraband wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    “We didn’t pick a mask off a wall willy-nilly,” Malek adds. “We had to think extremely specifically as to what would make the most sense. If it doesn’t make sense to the story and to the character, then arguably it loses impact.”

For the film’s director Cary Joji Fukunaga – an American-born filmmaker of Japanese descent – Safin’s Japanese aesthetics stemmed from both his personal tastes, as well as speaking to where Safin came from. “We came up with a mythology about where he’s based, and how there can be a mix of cultural influences there.”

I am guessing that Safin's lair is in the sparsely populated Kuril Islands. Four of the islands are claimed by Japan even though Russia administers them since the end of WW2.

Ushishir Island in particular must've been an inspiration for the setting:

b5acibsfrt341.jpg
    Based on Fukunaga's comment about the cultural influences, I will also guess that Safin is part-Tatar, part-Japanese. Perhaps he was born during the tail end of WWII when Soviet forces occupied the Kuril islands and expelled the Japanese. He could be the son of a Soviet soldier and a local Japanese woman, then became a scientist/biologist in the Soviet days, discovered some fountain of youth, went off the radar in the post-Soviet era and got involved with Spectre/Blofeld and all their attempts to create a new world order. Given how corrupt Russian regional authorities are, especially in the far east, it's not inconceivable that some oligarch could maintain a serious villain's layer and conduct various ecological/biological experiments.

Prod. already filmed Safins lair (probably just exterior shots) on White island, New Zeeland, last summer. The very same vulcano island that erupted in december and killed 21 people.

Plus they also filmed on Kalsoy, Faroe Islands

Well this means nothing from a narrative standpoint. We already speculated that Safin being based in an island between Russia and Japan seems a strong option. The strongest as far as we know. Safin being a Russian name. Russian plates all over forest settings. Safin obsession for Japanese No masks. Bloody bonsai in his liar. Russian warnings inside his base. Scenes from the end of the climax filmed in the dark volcanic shores in Maratea. @GeneralGogol is onto something here.

Just pointing out the actual filming locations.

:) Thanks for the reminder!
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    I know I’ve said this many times before, but I’m really hoping it means a novel YOLT approach, especially to end Craig’s Bond story. I should think most core fans would get behind this? Russian + Japanese influence is intriguing for sure.

Exactly. Bond slays the villain in his castle, but gets a head injury and loses his memory. Then Bond and Madeleine disappear (to Jamaica?) where they start a new life, with Madeleine concealing who he was before. Not sure how this last point would be realistic in this age of cyber-surveillance, but perhaps Nomi helps them escape.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    FoxRox wrote: »

Exactly. Bond slays the villain in his castle, but gets a head injury and loses his memory. Then Bond and Madeleine disappear (to Jamaica?) where they start a new life, with Madeleine concealing who he was before. Not sure how this last point would be realistic in this age of cyber-surveillance, but perhaps Nomi helps them escape.

Ooh ahh...
  • matt_u wrote: »
    “We didn’t pick a mask off a wall willy-nilly,” Malek adds. “We had to think extremely specifically as to what would make the most sense. If it doesn’t make sense to the story and to the character, then arguably it loses impact.”

For the film’s director Cary Joji Fukunaga – an American-born filmmaker of Japanese descent – Safin’s Japanese aesthetics stemmed from both his personal tastes, as well as speaking to where Safin came from. “We came up with a mythology about where he’s based, and how there can be a mix of cultural influences there.”

I am guessing that Safin's lair is in the sparsely populated Kuril Islands. Four of the islands are claimed by Japan even though Russia administers them since the end of WW2.

b5acibsfrt341.jpg
    Based on Fukunaga's comment about the cultural influences, I will also guess that Safin is part-Tatar, part-Japanese. Perhaps he was born during the tail end of WWII when Soviet forces occupied the Kuril islands and expelled the Japanese. He could be the son of a Soviet soldier and a local Japanese woman, then became a scientist/biologist in the Soviet days, discovered some fountain of youth, went off the radar in the post-Soviet era and got involved with Spectre/Blofeld and all their attempts to create a new world order. Given how corrupt Russian regional authorities are, especially in the far east, it's not inconceivable that some oligarch could maintain a serious villain's layer and conduct various ecological/biological experiments.
    Now this makes sense!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

b5acibsfrt341.jpg

Interesting stuff. If they don’t use it for this one it’s good Bond villain material!
    I didn’t know where to put this:

https://wwd.com/fashion-news/designer-luxury/michael-kors-partners-with-007-film-franchise-for-mkc-x-007-bond-capsule-collection-1203460254/

“Michael Kors Partners With ‘007’ Film Franchise for MKC x 007 Bond Capsule Collection“

REALLY excited to see Craig host SNL again. With both Logan Lucky and Knives Out, he's really delved deeper into comedy since he last hosted. Although John Mulaney is a TOUGH act to follow. Should be good

Would be cool if Eilish was Craig’s musical guest.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    If they had got Billie to be the musical guest, then we could have actually had Daniel Craig introduce the theme song for his final film :D
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Burgess wrote: »

Must say that would be a perfect match. Don't understand EON's poor marketing strategy this time. Booking him and her would be the first thing I my mind. And launch the Bond track some five min before online.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Must say that would be a perfect match. Don't understand EON's poor marketing strategy this time. Booking him and her would be the first thing I my mind. And launch the Bond track some five min before online.

You can’t blame Eon if she’s due to be in another country that day or SNL don’t want the show to be entirely Bond or whatever.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited February 2020 Posts: 524
    mtm wrote: »

You can’t blame Eon if she’s due to be in another country that day or SNL don’t want the show to be entirely Bond or whatever.

Plus, it’s SNL. Not Graham Norton’s Bond special. While Craig might name drop NTTD and I’m sure the SNL writers will mention Bond or do a Bond spoof sketch, this is not a promo talk for the film. If you check out the SNL episode Craig was on before, 80 % of the sketches did not mention Bond, and Craig played a variety of characters that couldn’t be further removed from 007 if he tried. SNL is a place for him to show his comedic talent and his acting chops, promoting a film is secondary.

If you want the NTTD cast talking about the film and maybe have the singer to do the theme song in the same show, Graham Norton is your best bet. If you want Craig primarily promoting NTTD and secondarily doing a skit, it’s Colbert. Not SNL.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Eilish did SNL last fall, with Woody Harrelson hosting.
    It’s so good to see all the new threads for the new Bond film waiting to be opened in just a couple months! It really has felt like an eternity since SP, and I’m so happy and relieved to be getting the next entry in just a few weeks. No matter how the film turns out, the days leading up to a new Bond film are unrivaled in excitement.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    It's funny....but I never thought Craig would equal Brosnan's 4 Bond films or do one more than him....maybe coz of the backlash he got back then, when he just got the role....how things can turn around....Like Scaramanga would say 'You underestimated him'.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Plus, it’s SNL. Not Graham Norton’s Bond special. While Craig might name drop NTTD and I’m sure the SNL writers will mention Bond or do a Bond spoof sketch, this is not a promo talk for the film. If you check out the SNL episode Craig was on before, 80 % of the sketches did not mention Bond, and Craig played a variety of characters that couldn’t be further removed from 007 if he tried. SNL is a place for him to show his comedic talent and his acting chops, promoting a film is secondary.

If you want the NTTD cast talking about the film and maybe have the singer to do the theme song in the same show, Graham Norton is your best bet. If you want Craig primarily promoting NTTD and secondarily doing a skit, it’s Colbert. Not SNL.

This. For the last couple of films at least Norton's show was the Friday before the Prem, so look out for Friday 27th March (if the Norton series is still on of course).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,990
    NicNac wrote: »

This. For the last couple of films at least Norton's show was the Friday before the Prem, so look out for Friday 27th March (if the Norton series is still on of course).

Although there was that bizarre one where he had the cast of M:I Fallout on while they were still shooting it! Did you see that? :) Apparently the director was pretty puzzled as to where everyone had gone! :D

Although there was that bizarre one where he had the cast of M:I Fallout on while they were still shooting it! Did you see that? :) Apparently the director was pretty puzzled as to where everyone had gone! :D

No, didn't see that. What is that about the director? Puzzled about where everyone had gone?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,990

No, didn't see that. What is that about the director? Puzzled about where everyone had gone?

Yeah on one of the podcasts Chris McQuarrie did (for Empire I think: hugely recommended by the way- it's so interesting to hear how he constructs these films and he's very candid about the process) he said how he was just told they've all gone off to make the Norton show when he was still in the middle of making the film with them! :D

Sorry, I realised I wasn't very clear: the director of the movie, not the TV show! :)

Yeah on one of the podcasts Chris McQuarrie did (for Empire I think: hugely recommended by the way- it's so interesting to hear how he constructs these films and he's very candid about the process) he said how he was just told they've all gone off to make the Norton show when he was still in the middle of making the film with them! :D

Sorry, I realised I wasn't very clear: the director of the movie, not the TV show! :)

Ah got it. That would've been funny. :)
  • GadgetMan wrote: »
    It's funny....but I never thought Craig would equal Brosnan's 4 Bond films or do one more than him....maybe coz of the backlash he got back then, when he just got the role....how things can turn around....Like Scaramanga would say 'You underestimated him'.

I predicted in 2006 that he would do 5! But I don't think I would have envisioned his last one coming out in 2020!
    Safin believes to be the savior of humanity according to malek.
    I have posted Total Film's article with Rami and Cary in the trailer thread. Came out today.
    Not sure that thread was appropriate for it through, would have been better to post here...

Another set visit post, this time from Mashable
    https://mashable.com/article/james-bond-no-time-to-die-set-visit/?europe=true&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    antovolk wrote: »
    Not sure that thread was appropriate for it through, would have been better to post here...

https://mashable.com/article/james-bond-no-time-to-die-set-visit/?europe=true&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    I'm surprised by how much they mention in this... quite spoiler-y.

A great piece though, and gives us a little bit more of an idea of what's going on :)
    Thanks for sharing @antovolk @Contraband
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,018
    antovolk wrote: »

I did. Both here and in trailer thread but one of the mods deleted it in here 1 min after due to double-posting

• edited February 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Lashana Lynch talks NTTD as she wins award - seemingly confirms she's the new 007
    https://pagesix.com/2020/02/06/lashana-lynch-proud-to-represent-jamaica-in-upcoming-bond-movie/

15810515680145.jpg?w=700&h=1017

200206-lashana-lynch4.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1024

Lashana Lynch, the actress hotly anticipated to be the first ever black female James Bond, celebrated her ground-breaking role at a starry Hollywood awards ceremony, by saying, “It is an honor to be able to proudly fly our big Jamaican flag up in MI6 as a 00 agent.”

The British actress, who starred as pilot and proud single mother Maria Rambeau in “Captain Marvel,” is shaking and stirring up the Bond legacy as 00 agent Nomi in “No Time to Die,” out in April. The movie is Daniel Craig’s last as 007.

While Bond has previously featured strong characters played by stars including Grace Jones and Halle Berry, Lynch is the 60-year-old franchise’s first ever black female agent, who already has an elite 00 status, and takes over the 007 status when Bond leaves the British intelligence service MI6.

And Lynch brought the house down at Essence’s starry Black Women in Hollywood Awards ceremony. Picking up the first award at the glamorous Beverly Hills bash on Thursday, Lynch said, “It used to somewhat scare me knowing there were little black girls around the world potentially looking up to me and what I do … but I soon realized it is a golden opportunity to speak to those I care about through my work. … It was a privilege play Maria Rambeau and give an ode to single black mothers who are truly heroes without capes, and it is an honor to be able to proudly flam our big Jamaican flag up in MI6 as a 00 agent.”

Describing herself as, “A dark skinned, working class young woman from West London … who proudly comes from an immigrant family and wears her truth on her sleeve,” she paid an emotional tribute to her mom Sonia Lynch, a single mother who worked two jobs to bring her and her two brothers up, with the help of her grandmother.

Lynch said, “I grew up in a very traditional Jamaican household. … I remember being hyper-aware of my blackness,” she said, “I recall being in ballet class at a very young age and having a white teacher tell me to tuck in my backside, and I proceeded to explain why mine just doesn’t go in like everyone else.”

She added, “So then I told my mom I wanted to leave [ballet], at that young age, and because of the black women that raised me, I was confidently able to leave a space that didn’t celebrate me. And now here I am in this room being able to celebrate my skin, my hair and my [behind].”
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Lynch is the 60-year-old franchise’s first ever black female agent, who already has an elite 00 status, and takes over the 007 status when Bond leaves the British intelligence service MI6.
    I think this quote is based on the rumours in the press rather than a concrete idea of what happens.