No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    “We didn’t pick a mask off a wall willy-nilly,” Malek adds. “We had to think extremely specifically as to what would make the most sense. If it doesn’t make sense to the story and to the character, then arguably it loses impact.”

For the film’s director Cary Joji Fukunaga – an American-born filmmaker of Japanese descent – Safin’s Japanese aesthetics stemmed from both his personal tastes, as well as speaking to where Safin came from. “We came up with a mythology about where he’s based, and how there can be a mix of cultural influences there.”
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Anyone taken aback by how brash and unhinged the movie looks? It has none of the classy, English reserve of Skyfall and Spectre. It's closer to a Michael Bay movie. Every shot is filtered to hell and screams "look how cool all this is".
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    When I saw bond lowering the gun in super bowl trailer. Craig's expression was priceless
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT3y0lph-NkutkrExIvAvxy3GElDbnJLeM7RMgVxBHSb66OPquT

Why is this image evoking such a strong response from everyone? It's just like any other example of Bond being shocked at something that's probably arbitrary in the film. Nothing points to it being a big moment of revelation or anything. We're looking at it far too closely.

Did you missed him lowering his gun, how many times have you seen him doing that in the series with such frustrating expression?
    He definitely saw something traumatizing.

Maybe Blofeld in drag.

Spoiler alert spoiler alert X_X
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Apart from Michael G. Wilson....I wonder if there's any surprise cameo....maybe Barbara Broccoli this time.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,185
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Apart from Michael G. Wilson....I wonder if there's any surprise cameo....maybe Barbara Broccoli this time.

I bet Gregg will do another one with his Dad.

Edit: Oh i just remembered he's in the trailer already.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    00Agent wrote: »

Is he? Which shot?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Is it possible that they could pull from FRWL for this film with Madeleine Swann. Maybe use aspects of the James Bond/Tatiana Romanova relationship? Although I don't feel like Madeleine is going to outright betray Bond to the point where he couldn't forgive her, I just feel that if Safin does really save her at the lake, what does he do with her and why is she alive? Did she survive or has she just been kept alive?

That's a good comparison with Tatjana. No I think they will end up together by the end. And I think Daniel pretty much confirmed that himself in an interview when he said something to the effect of "Bond is in a relationship now but is f'ing complicated with lot's of ups and downs throughout the film."
    Ah interesting @00Agent :) Actually, now you've got the wheels spinning...
    ... I'm starting to think that Madeleine is going to become a natural part of Bond's character arc by having that almost mirror to Vesper?

It would seem telling that in his first adventure he isn't able to be with the one he loves because of her past/secret, but this time he's able to be with the one he loves despite her past/secret. I don't think it'll be that telegraphed but I think it could be snuck in there subtley...
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,185
    jake24 wrote: »

Is he? Which shot?

Nomi, Bond and Moneypenny walking down the corridor at MI6. He is on the left i believe. Looks like he is playing the same "role" he did in SP.

Edit: Yeah i checked, he is behind Nomi, for a millisplit second before the trailer cuts to the next scene. I had a Screenshot but can't find it right now.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Anyone taken aback by how brash and unhinged the movie looks? It has none of the classy, English reserve of Skyfall and Spectre. It's closer to a Michael Bay movie. Every shot is filtered to hell and screams "look how cool all this is".

Yup, this is the vibe I'm getting from the trailer and the tv spot. Hopefully the film will look different.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Cemetary scenes. Got some questions:

1) We know that one tomb have VE on it, as in Vesper's grave. The same tomb exlodes sending Bond to the ground, dirty and bloody. And from the behind-the-scenes footage he's calling someone on his cellphone while standing up again, then starts running away.

rHvp9ow.jpg
    jZuAFTx.jpg
    37L3lt6.jpg
    9O29U3z.jpg
    k0HWouY.jpg
    XztiCV0.jpg
    fUfoUOu.jpg
    zkPbKGo.jpg

So why would her tomb explode at all? And who's behind it? Safin?

And why would Bond visit her grave at all? To get some closure since he now dating Swann?

2) These photos of two other graves, both pixelated names? Got know clue.

(Vespers tomb and the two graves were all built at ethe same location near Matera)

9WfBqrw.jpg
    Ac14EUK.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    When I saw bond lowering the gun in super bowl trailer. Craig's expression was priceless
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT3y0lph-NkutkrExIvAvxy3GElDbnJLeM7RMgVxBHSb66OPquT

Why is this image evoking such a strong response from everyone? It's just like any other example of Bond being shocked at something that's probably arbitrary in the film. Nothing points to it being a big moment of revelation or anything. We're looking at it far too closely.

Did you missed him lowering his gun, how many times have you seen him doing that in the series with such frustrating expression?
    He definitely saw something traumatizing.

Maybe Blofeld in drag.

It’s quite fun to think that if phone cameras had been around when they were shooting DAF, this may well have been the only glimpse we’d have had of Blofeld before the film came out, as I think it’s the only time Charles Grey filmed in a public place. So we’d have all thought Blofeld was a lady all the way through the next Bond film! :) Imagine all of the ‘it’s too woke now’ stuff we’d have had to put up with! :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So apparently Fukunaga has said it isn’t 3hrs long to SFX magazine? Did someone already post that?
    It’s a bit of a relief to me! :)
    mtm wrote: »
    So apparently Fukunaga has said it isn’t 3hrs long to SFX magazine? Did someone already post that?
    It’s a bit of a relief to me! :)

Well, the journalist now deleted his tweet...I'm not saying something is afoot but...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,554
    Contraband wrote: »

1) We know that one tomb have VE on it, as in Vesper's grave. The same tomb exlodes sending Bond to the ground, dirty and bloody. And from the behind-the-scenes footage he's calling someone on his cellphone while standing up again, then starts running away.

rHvp9ow.jpg
    jZuAFTx.jpg
    37L3lt6.jpg
    9O29U3z.jpg
    k0HWouY.jpg
    XztiCV0.jpg
    fUfoUOu.jpg
    zkPbKGo.jpg

And why would Bond visit her grave at all? To get some closure since he now dating Swann?

(Vespers tomb and the two graves were all built at ethe same location near Matera)

9WfBqrw.jpg
    Ac14EUK.jpg

I am guessing that...
    It is Madeleine who suggests he come to Matera and visit the grave. As she sees it, he cannot move forward until he has truly gotten closure. Instead, the tomb blows up and that is why James thinks she has betrayed him, thinking she had an ulterior motive.
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    TripAces wrote: »

rHvp9ow.jpg
    jZuAFTx.jpg
    37L3lt6.jpg
    9O29U3z.jpg
    k0HWouY.jpg
    XztiCV0.jpg
    fUfoUOu.jpg
    zkPbKGo.jpg

9WfBqrw.jpg
    Ac14EUK.jpg

I am guessing that...
    It is Madeleine who suggests he come to Matera and visit the grave. As she sees it, he cannot move forward until he has truly gotten closure. Instead, the tomb blows up and that is why James thinks she has betrayed him, thinking she had an ulterior motive.

I’m in the same boat as this thought. It would explain a few things we’ve seen and I can see it being realistic and plausible.

Also it would prove to be a good plot point to revisit later on in the film!! I’m game for this theme in relation to this scene

🍸
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I know I'm asking early but when do press reviews usually come out?
  • Can say with certainty that this is Q....it's a man holding a mask to his face and you can clearly see Q's new glasses

ybhmjsgq.jpg
    ELvYgNfVAAE1OKX?format=jpg&name=900x900
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I thought Q hated flying??
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Doesn't particularly look like he's enjoying himself.
    And also wasn't Moneypenny fibbing when she said that (it was an excuse for her to be there), and then Bond says "...raising the tantalizing question of what you're really doing here..."
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    And also wasn't Moneypenny fibbing when she said that (it was an excuse for her to be there), and then Bond says "...raising the tantalizing question of what you're really doing here..."
    True haha, and I suppose it is his creation.

Although I've always seen that line about Q afraid of lying to be true. I felt it was a way for them to define him as a character a little bit more after his introduction, and before we see him again in underground.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

I hate flying and even I get up there once in awhile.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I just wonder if having Bond stumble upon a picture of Ian Fleming in NTTD or a future Bond film....might be a step too far in breaking the fourth wall....coz Lazenby did his with a bit of subtlety.
    Facing your fears create character.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Although I've always seen that line about Q afraid of lying to be true. I felt it was a way for them to define him as a character a little bit more after his introduction, and before we see him again in underground.

Yes, I thought this too. It makes sense he would be there for its first flight.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    “We didn’t pick a mask off a wall willy-nilly,” Malek adds. “We had to think extremely specifically as to what would make the most sense. If it doesn’t make sense to the story and to the character, then arguably it loses impact.”

For the film’s director Cary Joji Fukunaga – an American-born filmmaker of Japanese descent – Safin’s Japanese aesthetics stemmed from both his personal tastes, as well as speaking to where Safin came from. “We came up with a mythology about where he’s based, and how there can be a mix of cultural influences there.”

I am guessing that Safin's lair is in the sparsely populated Kuril Islands. Four of the islands are claimed by Japan even though Russia administers them since the end of WW2.

Ushishir Island in particular must've been an inspiration for the setting:

b5acibsfrt341.jpg
    Based on Fukunaga's comment about the cultural influences, I will also guess that Safin is part-Tatar, part-Japanese. Perhaps he was born during the tail end of WWII when Soviet forces occupied the Kuril islands and expelled the Japanese. He could be the son of a Soviet soldier and a local Japanese woman, then became a scientist/biologist in the Soviet days, discovered some fountain of youth, went off the radar in the post-Soviet era and got involved with Spectre/Blofeld and all their attempts to create a new world order. Given how corrupt Russian regional authorities are, especially in the far east, it's not inconceivable that some oligarch could maintain a serious villain's layer and conduct various ecological/biological experiments.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Well, that's interesting. There was at least one report that said that Japan was a setting even though we know they didn't film there...
    matt_u wrote: »

I am guessing that Safin's lair is in the sparsely populated Kuril Islands. Four of the islands are claimed by Japan even though Russia administers them since the end of WW2.

b5acibsfrt341.jpg
    Based on Fukunaga's comment about the cultural influences, I will also guess that Safin is part-Tatar, part-Japanese. Perhaps he was born during the tail end of WWII when Soviet forces occupied the Kuril islands and expelled the Japanese. He could be the son of a Soviet soldier and a local Japanese woman, then became a scientist/biologist in the Soviet days, discovered some fountain of youth, went off the radar in the post-Soviet era and got involved with Spectre/Blofeld and all their attempts to create a new world order. Given how corrupt Russian regional authorities are, especially in the far east, it's not inconceivable that some oligarch could maintain a serious villain's layer and conduct various ecological/biological experiments.

Prod. already filmed Safins lair (probably just exterior shots) on White island, New Zeeland, last summer. The very same vulcano island that erupted in december and killed 21 people.

Plus they also filmed on Kalsoy, Faroe Islands

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

b5acibsfrt341.jpg

Prod. already filmed Safins lair (probably just exterior shots) on White island, New Zeeland, last summer. The very same vulcano island that erupted in december and killed 21 people.

Well this means nothing from a narrative standpoint. We already speculated that Safin being based in an island between Russia and Japan seems a strong option. The strongest as far as we know. Safin being a Russian name. Russian plates all over forest settings. Safin obsession for Japanese No masks. Bloody bonsai in his liar. Russian warnings inside his base. Scenes from the end of the climax filmed in the dark volcanic shores in Maratea. @GeneralGogol is onto something here.

b5acibsfrt341.jpg

Well this means nothing from a narrative standpoint. We already speculated that Safin being based in an island between Russia and Japan seems a strong option. The strongest as far as we know. Safin being a Russian name. Russian plates all over forest settings. Safin obsession for Japanese No masks. Bloody bonsai in his liar. Russian warnings inside his base. Scenes from the end of the climax filmed in the dark volcanic shores in Maratea. @GeneralGogol is onto something here.

Just pointing out the actual filming locations.