No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited September 2019 Posts: 5,767
    matt_u wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Yeah and the SP chase felt special based on set photos,that was going to be the showstopper. Lets not hype anything too big until we see how it gets manipulated on screen.

My confidence that things would turn out well was descimated when they revealed the title, and I still haven't gotten over that (still call it Bond 25). For me there are too many bizarre decisions being made, and the inclusion of DB5 again is very eye-rolling. Its appearing in every film now, and for me indicates a servere lack of creativity. The same problem that the title IMO. How many times do we need "die" in the title?

And like a silent fart...
    Come on! Can one really not write anything negative about what we have heard and seen of NTTD so far without getting insulted? I have to agree with @Mendes4Lyfe , the title is lazy and the umpeenth return of the DB5 is uninspiring. (The end of Skyfall should have been the end of the DB5 in the Bond franchise.) Doesn't mean the chace scene won't be great, but I would have much rather seen the V8 Vantage even in Matera.

EDIT: I cannot tell you how much I hate what they have done with the DB5 in the Craig era!! First he wins it in the Bahamas. Great! Bond won a DB5! It's his personal car! Then in SF the wheel is suddenly on the other side and the car has been outfitted with weapons from the 1960s!! WTF?! Okay, the car blows up, it's a big scene that's supposed to have weight. But no, the car is back in SP without any scratch. Q completely fixing the car entirely undermines the impact of that scene in SF when the car blows up. Not only that, Q is reprimanding Bond for destroying the car?!?! It's Bond's personal car, you obnoxious nerd!! It is not MI6 property!!

You kind of answered that yourself: Bond wins the car, brings it to the U.K. and maybe as a personal favour he persuades Q Branch to convert it to right hand drive and install some gadgets from an old gadget car they had in the corner of the workshop. So the new Q, after his team have put the effort into working on the car, feels a bit disappointed when Bond gets it destroyed.
    Those cars are worth a fortune so if there’s anything left it’s still worth rebuilding it!

Spot on.
    Except it doesn't make any sense.

In a world where spies wear explosive watches, survive 200 m fallings etc etc, it does, if u take for what it is. A loose explanation of something no one cares about.
    Walecs wrote: »
    Yeah and the SP chase felt special based on set photos,that was going to be the showstopper. Lets not hype anything too big until we see how it gets manipulated on screen.

My confidence that things would turn out well was descimated when they revealed the title, and I still haven't gotten over that (still call it Bond 25). For me there are too many bizarre decisions being made, and the inclusion of DB5 again is very eye-rolling. Its appearing in every film now, and for me indicates a servere lack of creativity. The same problem that the title IMO. How many times do we need "die" in the title?

Come on! Can one really not write anything negative about what we have heard and seen of NTTD so far without getting insulted? I have to agree with @Mendes4Lyfe , the title is lazy and the umpeenth return of the DB5 is uninspiring. (The end of Skyfall should have been the end of the DB5 in the Bond franchise.) Doesn't mean the chace scene won't be great, but I would have much rather seen the V8 Vantage even in Matera.

EDIT: I cannot tell you how much I hate what they have done with the DB5 in the Craig era!! First he wins it in the Bahamas. Great! Bond won a DB5! It's his personal car! Then in SF the wheel is suddenly on the other side and the car has been outfitted with weapons from the 1960s!! WTF?! Okay, the car blows up, it's a big scene that's supposed to have weight. But no, the car is back in SP without any scratch. Q completely fixing the car entirely undermines the impact of that scene in SF when the car blows up. Not only that, Q is reprimanding Bond for destroying the car?!?! It's Bond's personal car, you obnoxious nerd!! It is not MI6 property!!

You kind of answered that yourself: Bond wins the car, brings it to the U.K. and maybe as a personal favour he persuades Q Branch to convert it to right hand drive and install some gadgets from an old gadget car they had in the corner of the workshop. So the new Q, after his team have put the effort into working on the car, feels a bit disappointed when Bond gets it destroyed.
    Those cars are worth a fortune so if there’s anything left it’s still worth rebuilding it!

Spot on.

Agreed. The DB5 should have never been in SF or SP. But we all know Mendes was more concerned in slipping as many easter eggs as possible.

Yes, except the audiences clapped their hands like crazy when the DB5 showed up in SF...
    So?
    Most of the audience wants to act like people they saw on tv saying that this and that is what Bond typically does and what makes him so cult. But neither of those people really knows anything about Bond. They reduce a massive opportunity for boundless adventure and entertainment to a stale checklist for invented tropes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    boldfinger wrote: »

Spot on.

In a world where spies wear explosive watches, survive 200 m fallings etc etc, it does, if u take for what it is. A loose explanation of something no one cares about.

Spot on.

Agreed. The DB5 should have never been in SF or SP. But we all know Mendes was more concerned in slipping as many easter eggs as possible.

Yes, except the audiences clapped their hands like crazy when the DB5 showed up in SF...
    So?
    Most of the audience wants to act like people they saw on tv saying that this and that is what Bond typically does and what makes him so cult. But neither of those people really knows anything about Bond. They reduce a massive opportunity for boundless adventure and entertainment to a stale checklist for invented tropes.

So they don’t deserve to have been entertained because it hasn’t happened in the right way?
    @mtm, fine, as long as remote-controlled standing ovations are your definition of being entertained.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Rumor is there won’t be any NTTD teaser attached to Joker. There will be a teaser trailer, for Godzilla vs. Kong.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,343
    So what? I don't see the problem here. Skyfall came out for the 50th anniversary. The DB5 is the most famous and beloved gadget from Bond's past films. Of all the "fan service" callbacks Mendes did in SF - some of them I didn't like - the DB5 one was the best. Now Mendes is guilt for making audiences happy reprising the most iconic gadget in Bond's history in a film that celebrates the 50th? Nonsense. Mendes haters need to realize that Mendes made the two most successful Bond movies since '64/'65 and they need to accept the fact that people loved/liked those pictures. And people loving/liking those pictures is the reason why they are still making those films after almost 60 years.
    Rumor is there won’t be any NTTD teaser attached to Joker. There will be a teaser trailer, for Godzilla vs. Kong.

Sad.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sting was offered the role of Max Zorin at one point, after Bowie and before Walken.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    boldfinger wrote: »

Spot on.

Spot on.

So?

+1
    So what? I don't see the problem here. Skyfall came out for the 50th anniversary. The DB5 is the most famous and beloved gadget from Bond's past films. Of all the "fan service" callbacks Mendes did in SF - some of them I didn't like - the DB5 one was the best. Now Mendes is guilt for making audiences happy reprising the most iconic gadget in Bond's history in a film that celebrates the 50th? Nonsense. Mendes haters need to realize that Mendes made the two most successful Bond movies since '64/'65 and they need to accept the fact that people loved/liked those pictures. And people loving/liking those pictures is the reason why they are still making those films after almost 60 years.

Sad.

Ahhh yes. The "his movies made a lot of money, so how dare you say they have flaws or make some constructive criticism" card. So On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Licence to Kill are awful movies because they didn't make as much money as SPECTRE?

Sad.

Ahhh yes. The "his movies made a lot of money, so how dare you say they have flaws or make some constructive criticism" card. So On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Licence to Kill are awful movies because they didn't make as much money as SPECTRE?

Never said that and please don't make up narratives based on people posts without knowing who you are talking to. The two Dalton entries are in my top 10, for the record, so no, your defense strategy doesn't fit with me, and keep in mind we're talking about audiences responses here, not the overall quality, which is far more subjective.

BTW, criticizing Mendes for reprising the most iconic gadget in Bond's history in a film that came out for the 50th anniversary of the saga does it sounds like "constructive criticism" to you? Okay.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 17,302
    jake24 wrote: »
    There is still more Pinewood stuff to be shot throughout next month. Ana de Armas still has a few scenes to shoot.

And David Dencik confirmed in a recent interview with TV4 he'll be shooting at Pinewood all through October. Craig's injury and the accident at Pinewood (the explosion) was the reason he said, and his schedule was moved.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 3,157

Sad.

Never said that and please don't make up narratives based on people posts without knowing who you are talking to. The two Dalton entries are in my top 10, for the record, so no, your defense strategy doesn't fit with me, and keep in mind we're talking about audiences responses here, not the overall quality, which is far more subjective.

BTW, criticizing Mendes for reprising the most iconic gadget in Bond's history in a film that came out for the 50th anniversary of the saga does it sounds like "constructive criticism" to you? Okay.

1. Not at all. I was talking about my personal (dis)taste for the DB5, you only decided to shift the argument to "audiences response" because you needed some basis to your thesis, which is why you came up with the box office argument.

2. Yes. PanchitoPistoles provided a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why it doesn't make sense in the context of the movie. The fact that the movie came out for the 50th anniversary of the saga is completely extrinsic to the movie plot. It's a meta-justification, just like the title "The Force Awakens" makes no sense in the context of the movie and was only chosen as a reference to the fact that Star Wars was coming back.

Sad.

1. Not at all. I was talking about my personal (dis)taste for the DB5, you only decided to shift the argument to "audiences response" because you needed some basis to your thesis, which is why you came up with the box office argument.

2. Yes. PanchitoPistoles provided a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why it doesn't make sense in the context of the movie. The fact that the movie came out for the 50th anniversary of the saga is completely extrinsic to the movie plot. It's a meta-justification, just like the title "The Force Awakens" makes no sense in the context of the movie and was only chosen as a reference to the fact that Star Wars was coming back.

1. I reported a fact. Crowd pleasing moments in successful blockbuster movies are a fact of life. It's not rocket science.

2. Lol, rewatch TFA. Plus, your points against the DB5 being extrinsic to the movie plot are based on what? Bond needs a different car in order to not being traced and takes the DB5, because it is universally perceived as Bond's personal most iconic vehicle. So what are we even talking about? This is pointless discussion, off-topic, and frankly I don't want to spent any more time on this.
    Speaking of Aston Martins...the Vantage V8 from NTTD is on display at the BFI James Bond Day screenings!
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited September 2019 Posts: 3,497

Sad.

Are we still discussing this more than 24 hours later?

And imho, the "GA" does not hate the DB5, every time I went to see DC's Bonds there were people almost cheering when it showed up on the screen.

Move on now for crissakes.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 17,302
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Sad.

Are we still discussing this more than 24 hours later?

And imho, the "GA" does not hate the DB5, every time I went to see DC's Bonds there were people almost cheering when it showed up on the screen.

Move on now for crissakes.

People don't cheer or react to what's going on on screen where I live, but I remember leaving the theatre after watching SF/SP, and "that car" (the DB5) was a topic on both occasions.
    I use it in my key chain and its a topic every time someone sees it.

BTW, blatant product placement of 007.com store ;) by may part. Love that key chain.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 3,157

Sad.

1. I reported a fact. Crowd pleasing moments in successful blockbuster movies are a fact of life. It's not rocket science.

2. Lol, rewatch TFA. Plus, your points against the DB5 being extrinsic to the movie plot are based on what? Bond needs a different car in order to not being traced and takes the DB5, because it is universally perceived as Bond's personal most iconic vehicle. So what are we even talking about? This is pointless discussion, off-topic, and frankly I don't want to spent any more time on this.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrelevant_conclusion

2. What I said: The fact that the movie came out for the 50th anniversary of the saga is completely extrinsic
    What you understood: the DB5 is extrinsic to the movie
    2. Lol, rewatch TFA.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/497/040/471.jpg
    frankly I don't want to spent any more time on this.

Of course you don't; the more we discuss it the more wrong you sound. You keep pulling out irrelevant conclusions or even twisting my words because you can't accept that not everyone likes the DB5 in Skyfall. Oh well.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 3,497
    Univex wrote: »

BTW, blatant product placement of 007.com store ;) by may part. Love that key chain.

I hope you got a nice sponsor deal, mate. ;)

Nah :(

About the DB5, I'm just glad I'm one of the ones who loves it, because it's been Craig's Pegasus throughout his tenure, and we're getting an iconic chase with it in NTTD. I'm very, very happy.
  • peterpeter Toronto

About the DB5, I'm just glad I'm one of the ones who loves it, because it's been Craig's Pegasus throughout his tenure, and we're getting an iconic chase with it in NTTD. I'm very, very happy.

me too! Love the car so much. Always happy to see it. And yes, when Bond opens the garage in SF, there was applause in every showing I went to.

From what we've seen so far, it look like the DB5's in real trouble, making for an exciting chase this time out.

peter wrote: »

me too! Love the car so much. Always happy to see it. And yes, when Bond opens the garage in SF, there was applause in every showing I went to.

From what we've seen so far, it look like the DB5's in real trouble, making for an exciting chase this time out.

And from that we know...
    it survives the chase
    ;)
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 4,619
    Of course the bloody reveal of the bloody DB5 in SF got a bloody applause. You yould repeat that scene in every single future Bond film and it would get an applause every single time. Does that mean it should be repeated in every Bond film?

Back to NTTD: is it safe to say the rest of the main unit filming will happen exclusively in the UK?
    Of course the bloody reveal of the bloody DB5 in SF got a bloody applause. You yould repeat that scene in every single future Bond film and it would get an applause every single time. Does that mean it should be repeated in every Bond film?

No one said that.
    Back to NTTD: is it safe to say the rest of the main unit filming will happen exclusively in the UK?

I think so, yes. We probably won't get much more tidbits, pictures, etc... Now is time for the publicity to slowly start. A poster, a teaser, ... Soon, I think. The rest will be behind Pinewood's doors, I reckon.
  • RC7RC7
    I got into Bond pre-Brosnan, so for me part of the appeal was the amazing array of cars over the years, from the icon that was the DB5, to the ludicrously brilliant 2CV, and everything in between. If there’s one thing I’ve really missed over the last 20 years it’s those idiosyncratic choices of vehicle that really add a distinct flavour.

If I could choose to leave the DB5 in 1965, I would. But we are where we are. I reckon this chase could be a cracker, but my preference going forward would be to really mix it up.

No one has said that.

And about the latter part of your question: I think so.

But I ain't too bloody sure about it. Oi.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I got into Bond pre-Brosnan, so for me part of the appeal was the amazing array of cars over the years, from the icon that was the DB5, to the ludicrously brilliant 2CV, and everything in between. If there’s one thing I’ve really missed over the last 20 years it’s those idiosyncratic choices of vehicle that really add a distinct flavour.

If I could choose to leave the DB5 in 1965, I would. But we are where we are. I reckon this chase could be a cracker, but my preference going forward would be to really mix it up.

I can agree with this. The 2CV was well used in FYEO, or the Alfa Romeo GTV6 in OP.
    It would be nice to see Bond in a 'normal' car, besides the product placement of a Ford Mondeo in CR.
    However, I find cars nowadays are somewhat boring. Often looking similar to any other brand on the road. Still there has to be opportunity to stick Bond behind the wheel of something other than an Aston Martin.

Sad.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrelevant_conclusion

2. What I said: The fact that the movie came out for the 50th anniversary of the saga is completely extrinsic
    What you understood: the DB5 is extrinsic to the movie
    2. Lol, rewatch TFA.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/497/040/471.jpg
    frankly I don't want to spent any more time on this.

Of course you don't; the more we discuss it the more wrong you sound. You keep pulling out irrelevant conclusions or even twisting my words because you can't accept that not everyone likes the DB5 in Skyfall. Oh well.

Look, you aren't even able to understand what you are writing, it seems. Saying that the DB5 was just a mere easter egg and that the 50th was just a meta-justification for such a fan-pleaser choice means exactly that you found the presence of the DB5 unnecessary, extrinsic, in the context of the film. Come on. You said that the DB5 should not be in the movie because is just fan service. Beside the fact that this is just a personal and, personally, bizarre opinion - since we are talking about the most iconic car in the franchise - saying this you were referring to the DB5 as something irrelevant to the plot in a negative way, which means exactly what I was saying. But you know, since you like to sarcastically refer to other's messages as "irrelevant conclusions" I'll tell you another fact of life: the DB5 worked in the context of the film, and given the concept behind the film actually made perfect sense. This is just a general reminder, I honestly don't care if you're feeling the opposite and honestly, if you believe that I can't accept other's opinions it really offends me. I'm not the one referring to other's posts as irrelevant. How old are you? 26? 27?

So yeah, I'm not twisting your words, I just feel embarrassed since looks like you have some problems organizing your thoughts. Again, I don't want to annoy anyone with this ridiculous discussion, if you have any problems you can PM me.

Regarding the irrelevant conclusion, confido che questo assaggio di tipica arroganza toscana sia l'ultimo.

Totally off topic, but every time someone mentions applause and/or cheering during a screening of a film, I'm truly surprised. I've never once, at all, experienced any kind of reactions to a film while it was playing – in any cinema I've been to. Is this a thing everywhere?

Totally off topic, but every time someone mentions applause and/or cheering during a screening of a film, I'm truly surprised. I've never once, at all, experienced any kind of reactions to a film while it was playing – in any cinema I've been to. Is this a thing everywhere?

Maybe us Belgians are just weird. [-X
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    In Skyfall, the reveal of the DB5 was accompanied by the first time the James Bond theme was actually played in the soundtrack, more than one hour and a half into the story. It is truly an exhilarating moment in the film.

Now, if you want some "explanation", it could be said that Bond fell in love with the car he won at the first poker game, and had it customized with a few gadgets that coincidentally match the ones from Goldfinger. There's always been some degree of porosity between the Craig films and the previous ones.