• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    RC7 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    It would be nice to see Bond in a 'normal' car, besides the product placement of a Ford Mondeo in CR.

He still does occasionally. In Quantum of Solace alone I think he drives a Volvo, a Range Rover, a Ford Edge. Skyfall he drives the Jag of course, whatever he tails the baddie in Shanghai in etc.

I think this taps into what @Benny was saying about them all being reasonably generic, though. Stick him in a red E-Type that he casually steals, or on the opposite end of the scale, smashing up a Ford Transit as his only means to get away - now we’re talking.

I don't really follow. I don't think a Volvo S40 looks like a Range Rover or a big Mercedes S Class.

You get my point. You’re being pedantic.

@RC7 That's unnecessary. I don't get your point: a big luxury 4x4 doesn't look like a small saloon car. The bright yellow 2CV was different to other cars and that's the role it played, but I'm not convinced most cinema goers could really tell the Alfa GTV6 from any other then-current car more than those of ten years ago could tell a Mercedes limo from an off-roader.

If Bond had been in the S40 for an epic chase, yeah, I’m all for that. He wasn’t, so it isn’t comparable.

I've completely lost track of what you're talking about now I'm afraid. I replied to the post talking about the Mondeo in CR, and now you want to talk about chases only?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I can't wait to get our first look at all the other characters that we haven't seen, especially Malek and de Armas.
  • RC7RC7
    It would be nice to see Bond in a 'normal' car, besides the product placement of a Ford Mondeo in CR.

He still does occasionally. In Quantum of Solace alone I think he drives a Volvo, a Range Rover, a Ford Edge. Skyfall he drives the Jag of course, whatever he tails the baddie in Shanghai in etc.

I think this taps into what @Benny was saying about them all being reasonably generic, though. Stick him in a red E-Type that he casually steals, or on the opposite end of the scale, smashing up a Ford Transit as his only means to get away - now we’re talking.

I don't really follow. I don't think a Volvo S40 looks like a Range Rover or a big Mercedes S Class.

@RC7 That's unnecessary. I don't get your point: a big luxury 4x4 doesn't look like a small saloon car. The bright yellow 2CV was different to other cars and that's the role it played, but I'm not convinced most cinema goers could really tell the Alfa GTV6 from any other then-current car more than those of ten years ago could tell a Mercedes limo from an off-roader.

If Bond had been in the S40 for an epic chase, yeah, I’m all for that. He wasn’t, so it isn’t comparable.

I've completely lost track of what you're talking about now I'm afraid. I replied to the post talking about the Mondeo in CR, and now you want to talk about chases only?

I’d like the ‘Bond vehicle’ to be a little more distinctive and varied from film to film - that’s as simple as I can put it.

You mentioned the S40. If the opening car chase had been in the S40, fair enough, but he uses it to drive around Austria in the dark for 30 seconds. The DBS is still the main vehicle in that movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2019 Posts: 14,961

I’d like the ‘Bond vehicle’ to be a little more distinctive and varied from film to film - that’s as simple as I can put it.

You mentioned the S40. If the opening car chase had been in the S40, fair enough, but he uses it to drive around Austria in the dark for 30 seconds. The DBS is still the main vehicle in that movie.

Right; but I was replying to Benny about Bond driving other cars in the way he drove the Mondeo. He does. And then you started banging on about cars today not being distinctive from all other cars and only used in chases or something- I'm a bit lost with your tight criteria. But y'know; feel free to call me pedantic again...
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I can't wait to get our first look at all the other characters that we haven't seen, especially Malek and de Armas.

Yes, it baffles me that we don't even have an on set spoiler pic yet of the former!

:-?
  • RC7RC7

Right; but I was replying to Benny about Bond driving other cars in the way he drove the Mondeo. He does. And then you started banging on about cars today not being distinctive from all other cars and only used in chases or something- I'm a bit lost with your tight criteria.

Have a look back through the posts and you’ll get it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,869
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Yes, it baffles me that we don't even have an on set spoiler pic yet of the former!
    :-?
    @JamesCraig Seems like most of his stuff is on set. If I remember rightly, I think we only saw Bardem and Waltz once during the whole of production. Dressed as the policeman, and on London bridge with the dots on his fac.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Right; but I was replying to Benny about Bond driving other cars in the way he drove the Mondeo. He does. And then you started banging on about cars today not being distinctive from all other cars and only used in chases or something- I'm a bit lost with your tight criteria.

Have a look back through the posts and you’ll get it.

I really don't, but keep on moving those goalposts if it makes you happy, I don't care.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Seriously just move on guys, there's no actual reason to keep this going.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2019 Posts: 10,512

I agree. I feel like I made a pretty simple point and one that wasn’t intended to spark any sort of debate. The idea that I’d like a little more variation on the Aston monopoly is quite easy to grasp.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands

I actually own a Bond car. A S40 that is haha. I admit I also drive it during daytime.
  • RC7RC7
    Jeffrey wrote: »

I actually own a Bond car. A S40 that is haha. I admit I also drive it during daytime.

Ha ha. Don’t get me wrong it still counts!
    Jeffrey wrote: »

Ha ha. Don’t get me wrong it still counts!

Ha ha, you mean if I get half a blue 1984 Renault 11 TXE, I've got myself a Bond car? Cool!!

But hey, even if Bond doesn't steal a car in this one, he does steal a triumph scrambler. Craig's Bond really likes his bikes for free.

;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I agree. I feel like I made a pretty simple point and one that wasn’t intended to spark any sort of debate. The idea that I’d like a little more variation on the Aston monopoly is quite easy to grasp.

When you start calling folks names for moving the conversation then it gets their backs up: that's equally easy to grasp.
    As is the idea that this film features an old Toyota 4x4 in the hero role in what appears to be a full-on action scene. We're not 100% sure who's driving but it seems to be either Bond or Magnussen's character. Bond also of course has been shown to own an old Land Rover Defender. But I guess there'll be another reason why those don't count...
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    jamesbondmagasinet
    I had the pleasure interviewing the #NoTimetoDie star David Dencik at @clarionthehub in Oslo. Currently, he stars in the new Swedish movie Quick. Next year he can be seen as the mysterious character Waldo in the 25th @007 adventure directed by @cary_fukunaga. During my interview, which was about Quick, Dencik recieved new call sheets for No Time to Die! 📸 Frode Fjerdingstad.

• RC7RC7

When you start calling folks names for moving the conversation then it gets their backs up: that's equally easy to grasp.
    As is the idea that this film features an old Toyota 4x4 in the hero role in what appears to be a full-on action scene. We're not 100% sure who's driving but it seems to be either Bond or Magnussen's character. Bond also of course has been shown to own an old Land Rover Defender. But I guess there'll be another reason why those don't count...

Calling names?

The Land Rover will certainly be a Bond vehicle, overshadowed somewhat by the gadget-toting DB5 in the extensive action scene. My point is pretty obvious.
    wheres_waldo_logo_poster-rdaca2803167d4bc287b46ea4996f2d7b_w2q_8byvr_540.jpg
  • The question I have is would they go as far as to have Dencik's character wear a red and white striped shirt?
  • RC7 wrote: »

Calling names?

The Land Rover will certainly be a Bond vehicle, overshadowed somewhat by the gadget-toting DB5 in the extensive action scene. My point is pretty obvious.

Please, please stop spamming. This is a filming thread.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Walecs wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    the fact that this is just a personal and, personally, bizarre opinion

There we go, you're just trying to insult me because of my opinion. You finally admitted it.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bizarre

bizarre adjective
    bi·​zarre | \ bə-ˈzär \
    Definition of bizarre
    : strikingly out of the ordinary

a : odd, extravagant, or eccentric in style or mode
    His behavior was bizarre.
    bizarre stories
    a bizarre outfit
    b : involving sensational contrasts or incongruities
    the bizarre timidity of a tall, strapping young man

Is this an insult? Don't make me laugh.

Please, stop. Again, if u have any problem, PM me.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

Calling names?

BUT...

THEY ALREADY USED LAND ROVERS IN PREVIOUS BONDMOVIES!!!

Can we please move on from this now?

Jesus.

• Again: filming thread.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Anyone else feel that no matter how long or brief the upcoming teaser trailer is, they'll just be happy to finally see some of that beautiful cinematography that we all know is coming :D
    Instead of bickering on any other subject that has nothing do with the actual current filming, why don't use that energy and do some real research, like finding the latest pics, footage, info on locations, etc.

• Yea I'm tired of the bickering in this thread.
    Have we just found out they'll call Dencik character Waldo? That's something, isn't it? Anyone thinks it'll be sort of a code name for a missing person?
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    Anyone else feel that no matter how long or brief the upcoming teaser trailer is, they'll just be happy to finally see some of that beautiful cinematography that we all know is coming :D

Yep. Cwnsidering how closely EON have played their cards so far in terms of plot, I'd guess the trailer will be more impressionistic. Not much story given away, but lots of mood and visuals.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    To @RC7 ‘s point about cars, I agree. With the older films there was not just a variety of cars shown, but the way they were used made them memorable and gave them character. The 2CV or the Renault 11 TXE for instance. If they had simply been used for establishing shots or point A to point B driving, like the Volvo that was mentioned, they wouldn’t be anywhere near as memorable. The unique chases they featured in gave them character and made them stick in your mind. On the other hand, I had no memory of a Volvo ever appearing in a Bond movie, which should’ve stuck out to me as the proud owner of an S70. I’d love to see another inventive chase with a more normal car again. That said, I’m always happy to see the DB5.
    Univex wrote: »
    Have we just found out they'll call Dencik character Waldo? That's something, isn't it? Anyone thinks it'll be sort of a code name for a missing person?

He's been listed as Waldo on IMDB for some time. But if that's some kind of nickname or code name...
    Contraband wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »

He's been listed as Waldo on IMDB for some time. But if that's some kind of nickname or code name...

Didn't know that. Thanks, @Contraband.