No Time to Die production thread

Comments

My preference would have been a more standalone approach, but with Madeleine already returning it just wasn’t in the cards. I just really don’t want SPECTRE 2 in any way.
    Glad to hear this. I was underwhelmed by his performance in Spectre and the way that movie ended it really felt like there was unfinished business to resolve between Bond and Blofeld.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    This is great news. Although I didn't care much for Waltz's tepid portrayal, I've always said that his arc couldn't have finished with SP and that B25 was, in a way, destined to be the follow up. The film can now give Waltz a solid chance to redeem himself and thereby make SP a better film in hindsight. (This is the reason why I've still not been able to make a final verdict on the film.) The only fear is that the whole Blofeld storyline has the potential to drag down B25. SP's specter, as it were.
    I don't think they'll be referencing the whole foster brother storyline. By now they will have known how poorly that idea was recieved, so that would be incredibly foolish.
    jake24 wrote: »
    This is great news. Although I didn't care much for Waltz's tepid portrayal, I've always said that his arc couldn't have finished with SP and that B25 was, in a way, destined to be the follow up. The film can now give Waltz a solid chance to redeem himself and thereby make SP a better film in hindsight. (This is the reason why I've still not been able to make a final verdict on the film.) The only fear is that the whole Blofeld storyline has the potential to drag down B25. SP's specter, as it were.
    I don't think they'll be referencing the whole foster brother storyline. By now they will have known how poorly that idea was recieved, so that would be incredibly foolish.

I agree, they're better off letting the foster-brother storyline slip away.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Bring back Hinx too he was great.
    God this script situation is immensely confusing.
    No, it's not confusing at all. 5 people will be credited for the script: P &W, Fukungaa, Burns and Waller-Bridge. That's it.
    Basically, John Hodge is getting a credit.
    No, he is 100% not getting credited. It's not without reason his name wasn't mentioned in the press release announcing the start of production.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2019 Posts: 10,588
    TR007 wrote: »

Either that, or I can potentially see them retconning the whole thing to make it less atrocious.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    As much as I hate SPECTRE and Waltz's performance was a huge let down, I'm actually quite happy with this, if this can go someway (if that is possible) to validating SP and also not just being a call back for the sake of it and be integral to this then I'm game.

CF should be able to give Waltz the motivation to make ESB much more menacing, I'm calling as @peter and I said sometime back a SOTL style Starling/Graham Lector one on one.

An ideal opportunity for Craig and Waltz to shine, hopefully that electric chemistry some of us expected when Waltz was announced will be present this time round.
    TR007 wrote: »

Either that, or I can potentially see them retconning the whole thing to make it less atrocious.

I’d love that in theory, but how would you successfully retcon that?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343
    FoxRox wrote: »
    My preference would have been a more standalone approach, but with Madeleine already returning it just wasn’t in the cards. I just really don’t want SPECTRE 2 in any way.

What do you guys mean with "Spectre 2"? Mendes is not back.

There are different people working on this film. Brand new, in every department. The fact that some actors are coming back doesn't mean anything. As far as we know Madeleine could die in the PTS and Blofeld could have just a brief scene in jail. If it's not the case there are completely new talents - even a semi-genius female screenwriter! - working on this film that will treat those characters differently or perhaps they'll be able to add more depth to them. I just don't understand all this concern regarding the specter of SP2.

BTW... I'm super glad Waltz is back. Actually, feels like an obvious choice.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

Right. But at the end of the day that was Blofeld's motivation for singling out Bond. Maybe they'll indirectly place a reference by saying that they've known one another for 'years'. That works for everyone.
    matt_u wrote: »

There are different people working on this film. Brand new, in every department. The fact that some actors are coming back doesn't mean anything. As far as we know Madeleine could die in the PTS and Blofeld could have just a brief scene in jail. If it's not the case there are completely new talents - even a semi-genius female screenwriter! - working on this film that will treat those characters differently or perhaps they'll be able to add more depth to them. I just don't understand all this concern regarding the specter of SP2.

I just feel concerned because I don’t want the story (which is still largely a mystery beyond the given hook) to be a direct continuation of SP or a retread. Not saying it’s going to happen, just a small worry. Never been done before to have the main villain and main Bond girl of the previous film both return.
    This is definitely a OHMSS 2.0
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343
    matt_u wrote: »

I just feel concerned because I don’t want the story (which is still largely a mystery beyond the given hook) to be a direct continuation of SP or a retread. Not saying it’s going to happen, just a small worry. Never been done before to have the main villain and main Bond girl of the previous film both return.

True, it's the first time. But since Madeleine and Blofeld are back something will be tied to previous SP events. That's for sure.

But it is also the first time since Dr. No that every major department - director, director of photography, production designer, editor, composer, costume designer, maybe even actual screenwriters if P&W will get just a story credit - is run by totally new people to the franchise. So I'm confident they won't just make SP2.
    Maybe they can nail Blofeld properly on screen this time.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,295
    Don't like this at all. Any further references to the events of SP decreases my anticipation for this film drastically. I expect a scene similar to the one starting at 6:23 here (similar as in the hero face to face with his nemesis, who's behind bars in a high tech prison of sorts):

Wouldn't be surprised if they used a variant of what Dr. Evil tells Austin Powers either:
    - How ironic. You finally caught me, yet now you need me more then ever.

>:P

I am actually quite happy with this. I never liked the "foster brother" angle, otherwise I was very happy that Blofeld was returning and while Waltz's performance lacked something I thought he had a creepiness that fitted the character very well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Shardlake wrote: »
    As much as I hate SPECTRE and Waltz's performance was a huge let down, I'm actually quite happy with this, if this can go someway (if that is possible) to validating SP and also not just being a call back for the sake of it and be integral to this then I'm game.

CF should be able to give Waltz the motivation to make ESB much more menacing, I'm calling as @peter and I said sometime back a SOTL style Starling/Graham Lector one on one.

An ideal opportunity for Craig and Waltz to shine, hopefully that electric chemistry some of us expected when Waltz was announced will be present this time round.

@Shardlake -- having re-watched BEASTS OF NO NATION last night-- a mesmerizing, almost hallucinogenic nightmare-- there were several things that are apparent in CF's works to date:

He has a strong, uncompromising vision. He's unrelenting. And, as I said earlier today, if he brings half of that, B25 will be one helluva twisted ride.

There's something else: the element of horror. Not slasher Friday the 13th type horror; but more dread and tension and genuine fear. If he can bring this to a Waltz cameo... Blofeld's been locked up now for five years... how twisted has his mind become?... We played with this idea before, and I hope it's something along this path.

CF could potentially deliver a far different Blofeld than the one we saw asking Bond to shoot him...

Could be exciting...
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126
    CF is going to unleash Blofeld into what he should have been on screen all along a unhinged mad man. He can redeem him from Spectre.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2019 Posts: 8,035
    peter wrote: »

@Shardlake -- having re-watched BEASTS OF NO NATION last night-- a mesmerizing, almost hallucinogenic nightmare-- there were several things that are apparent in CF's works to date:

He has a strong, uncompromising vision. He's unrelenting. And, as I said earlier today, if he brings half of that, B25 will be one helluva twisted ride.

There's something else: the element of horror. Not slasher Friday the 13th type horror; but more dread and tension and genuine fear. If he can bring this to a Waltz cameo... Blofeld's been locked up now for five years... how twisted has his mind become?... We played with this idea before, and I hope it's something along this path.

CF could potentially deliver a far different Blofeld than the one we saw asking Bond to shoot him...

Could be exciting...

I wonder if a source of friction between Bond, M, and Nomi will be MI6's use of Blofeld as a source of information? I know yourself and @Shardlake mentioned this, @peter - a Hannibal Lector type scenario. But what if Bond really doesn't approve of this situation? Equally, he has been gone five years and we don't yet know his emotional state during their inevitable confrontation....

It will be interesting to see how Ealtz' Blofeld has changed in the five years, too.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    echo wrote: »
    It’s likely, very likely, this script went back to P&W, but the end result will be something they barely recognize, hence story by still goes to them, but the script was reworked under Fukunaga’s vision/strong input, action polish completed by Burns, dialogue/character work to the always charming and exciting PWB.

Very much doubt Hodge’s DNA is in the new drafts/shooting script.

@peter, isn't it usually the case that the first writers--and the last--are the most likely to get credit? I know first writers often get "story by," which really means "first full draft."

The WGA, @echo can be very messy situation. The producers submit to the WGA-- and to all writers who were employed on the production-- a notice of where they think the credits should go (with a copy of the final shooting script as evidence and reasoning behind the decisions).

If one, or more of the writers have an issue with this, they take it to arbitration.

Arbitration is when the WGA will go over ALL drafts written by ALL the writers and decide whether the credits were rewarded justly. If not, they will correct any wrongs based on a whole bunch of rules written in something called the Screen Credits Manual (think of it as the motion picture industry's Bible)...

So it's really producers call on who gets credit; writers have the right to go to arbitration. If there's a case to be made, the WGA takes over and will base final credits according to the SCM....
    Does that help?

P
  • peterpeter Toronto

Could be exciting...

I wonder if a source of friction between Bond, M, and Nomi will be MI6's use of Blofeld as a source of information? I know yourself and @Shardlake mentioned this, @peter - a Hannibal Lector type scenario. But what if Bond really doesn't approve of this situation? Equally, he has been gone five years and we don't yet know his emotional state during their inevitable confrontation....

It will be interesting to see how Ealtz' Blofeld has changed in the five years, too.

yes @CraigMooreOHMSS -- very interested to see where both Bond and Blofeld are at five years later. And how this impacts their meeting.

Could Blofeld be pulling strings on the outside, from the inside?

Was their chatter on this site about a prison being looked at with a possible jail break scene? Or was I hallucinating again, lol?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

Could be exciting...

yes @CraigMooreOHMSS -- very interested to see where both Bond and Blofeld are at five years later. And how this impacts their meeting.

Could Blofeld be pulling strings on the outside, from the inside?

Was their chatter on this site about a prison being looked at with a possible jail break scene? Or was I hallucinating again, lol?

I remember someone saying their office building had been scouted for a possible prison scene
    Since they’re going through the trouble of bringing him back they might as well finish off the arc. Maybe Malek’s character will kill him?
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm sure the folks at EON are furious this got leaked.

Well it was pretty obvious - just look at Waltz' upcoming schedule - it's remarkably empty.
    Since they’re going through the trouble of bringing him back they might as well finish off the arc. Maybe Malek’s character will kill him?
    That would definitely heighten the villainy of Malek's character, but would undermine that of Waltz's Blofeld.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    As I just mentioned to @007Blofeld : CF has a real opportunity here. Blofeld's been rotting away in a prison cell for five years-- and, hopefully in solitary.

This man is, even in Waltz's weak portrayal, a megalomaniac...; how does prison suit one like him? I would gather, not well.

And in the hands of CF, who has not been afraid to show deeply depraved people in his body of work, this can be a seriously frightening situation Bond will have to confront (and makes Spectre worth watching again, lol)
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm sure the folks at EON are furious this got leaked.

Well it was pretty obvious - just look at Waltz' upcoming schedule - it's remarkably empty.

This is probably a good reason why they don't want to give out a title.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    As I just mentioned to @007Blofeld : CF has a real opportunity here. Blofeld's been rotting away in a prison cell for five years-- and, hopefully in solitary.

This man is, even in Waltz's weak portrayal, a megalomaniac...; how does prison suit one like him? I would gather, not well.

And in the hands of CF, who has not been afraid to show deeply depraved people in his body of work, this can be a seriously frightening situation Bond will have to confront (and makes Spectre worth watching again, lol)

Prison does have this uncanny ability to make bad people going in become even worse before coming out.

One can only imagine what Blofeld's been up to...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Doesn't seem right that Waltz apparently did have the chance to deny being Blofeld in BOND 25.

Or maybe there's still time for that.