No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• It seems like whatever Hodge's contribution was went out the door with Boyle. He wasn't mentioned when the writers were listed at the launch conference, was he?
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    It seems like whatever Hodge's contribution was went out the door with Boyle. He wasn't mentioned when the writers were listed at the launch conference, was he?

No, he wasn't. Only Cary, P&W as basic and PWB and Scott Burnes as additional.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    They did use Peter Morgan's hook (M's past coming back to haunt her, leading to her demise), and he ultimately went uncredited. It wouldn't surprise me if an element or two from Hodge's draft carried over into the current story. A credit, however, would.
    I hope that we hear more about the Boyle/Hodge film one day. Boyle was asked about it recently but he said he didn't want to talk about it because it'd be unfair on Fugunaka and he wasn't sure if they were going to use any of it. Which is nice of him and fair enough. It'd be of a dick move to be talking up how he would have done it before Fugunaka even has the chance to show off his take. But I hope that once the dust settles they let more details slip. It seemed like we were going to get a completely different film at one point and that to me is interesting, I always like reading about "lost" Bond films (like the early version of TSWLM with Blofeld/SPECTRE, or Dalton's planned third one). Maybe Hodge could even release the script at some point with EON's blessing?

Also I think Scotland is definitely Bond's funeral. All that's left to be seen imo is whether they'll actually dare to kill him off or if it'll be ambiguous or if the funeral is a red herring and he's alive after all.

I still think he'll die personally and I think that might have been the big disagreement that led to Boyle and Hodge leaving. Craig wasn't always going to do Bond 25, it was up in the air for a long time and SP was written with the possibility of it being his last. What if the kicker for him was the chance to break new ground again by ending his era with Bond's death? So what if even with the new story he wanted that ending, while Hodge didn't, which led to rewrites which led to Boyle dropping out. Then with neither of those two being involved they thought there's no point making a Boyle/Hodge film without Boyle and Hodge, so they cut their losses and went back to the original story. I don't know. Like I said, I hope eventually we do get all the details.
  • I hope that we hear more about the Boyle/Hodge film one day. Boyle was asked about it recently but he said he didn't want to talk about it because it'd be unfair on Fugunaka and he wasn't sure if they were going to use any of it. Which is nice of him and fair enough. It'd be of a dick move to be talking up how he would have done it before Fugunaka even has the chance to show off his take. But I hope that once the dust settles they let more details slip. It seemed like we were going to get a completely different film at one point and that to me is interesting, I always like reading about "lost" Bond films (like the early version of TSWLM with Blofeld/SPECTRE, or Dalton's planned third one). Maybe Hodge could even release the script at some point with EON's blessing?

Also I think Scotland is definitely Bond's funeral. All that's left to be seen imo is whether they'll actually dare to kill him off or if it'll be ambiguous or if the funeral is a red herring and he's alive after all.

I still think he'll die personally and I think that might have been the big disagreement that led to Boyle and Hodge leaving. Craig wasn't always going to do Bond 25, it was up in the air for a long time and SP was written with the possibility of it being his last. What if the kicker for him was the chance to break new ground again by ending his era with Bond's death? So what if even with the new story he wanted that ending, while Hodge didn't, which led to rewrites which led to Boyle dropping out. Then with neither of those two being involved they thought there's no point making a Boyle/Hodge film without Boyle and Hodge, so they cut their losses and went back to the original story. I don't know. Like I said, I hope eventually we do get all the details.

If the recent reports are to be believed then that's probably likely.
    Supposedly Hodge/Boyle wanted to kill off Bond definitively, whereas, Barbara and Michael preferred that it'd be left ambiguous. I'm expecting something like The Dark Knight rises where Bond is believed to be dead, he's passed the torch to his successor (Nomi), and he rides off into the sunset one last time.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    peter wrote: »
    It’s likely, very likely, this script went back to P&W, but the end result will be something they barely recognize, hence story by still goes to them, but the script was reworked under Fukunaga’s vision/strong input, action polish completed by Burns, dialogue/character work to the always charming and exciting PWB.

Very much doubt Hodge’s DNA is in the new drafts/shooting script.

Interesting....

I can't see a scenario playing out where John Hodge doesn't get a 'story' credit.

I'm unsure how a settlement agreement (pay out) would preclude Hodge from asking the WGA to arbitrate. Plus I remember reading that if there are more than 5 writers on a project it immediately goes to arbitration.

Basically, John Hodge is getting a credit.

A payout wouldn't preclude any arbitration, considering Hodge did the work he was hired to do even though it was ultimately (seemingly) thrown out. If I'm not mistaken, and perhaps @peter could add to this - under WGA rules, this would be considered two separate projects unless they use some of Hodge's material, narrative or thematic, from his completed draft. Which of course we don't know for sure has happened but like most others here, I don't think they have. So the case for Hodge wouldn't go very far. Unless, as I said above, they have used some sort of hook from Hodge's script and brought it into the new version of the story. However, considering the vastly different rumours surrounding the plot and settings of Boyle's potential film and the one we're actually getting, I'd be very surprised if Hodge asked for arbitration.

It's interesting though. For comparison, I'd take Peter Morgan's unused Skyfall script, which also had the idea of M dying. He didn't get a story credit. Was this perhaps because his outline was incomplete before the production froze and he left?

M's death was P&W's idea, though, she was to die in QoS but they eventually realized the movie had no room for that and if she were to die she better have a major focus in the story.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2019 Posts: 8,046
    Walecs wrote: »
    It’s likely, very likely, this script went back to P&W, but the end result will be something they barely recognize, hence story by still goes to them, but the script was reworked under Fukunaga’s vision/strong input, action polish completed by Burns, dialogue/character work to the always charming and exciting PWB.

Interesting....

I can't see a scenario playing out where John Hodge doesn't get a 'story' credit.

I'm unsure how a settlement agreement (pay out) would preclude Hodge from asking the WGA to arbitrate. Plus I remember reading that if there are more than 5 writers on a project it immediately goes to arbitration.

Basically, John Hodge is getting a credit.

A payout wouldn't preclude any arbitration, considering Hodge did the work he was hired to do even though it was ultimately (seemingly) thrown out. If I'm not mistaken, and perhaps @peter could add to this - under WGA rules, this would be considered two separate projects unless they use some of Hodge's material, narrative or thematic, from his completed draft. Which of course we don't know for sure has happened but like most others here, I don't think they have. So the case for Hodge wouldn't go very far. Unless, as I said above, they have used some sort of hook from Hodge's script and brought it into the new version of the story. However, considering the vastly different rumours surrounding the plot and settings of Boyle's potential film and the one we're actually getting, I'd be very surprised if Hodge asked for arbitration.

It's interesting though. For comparison, I'd take Peter Morgan's unused Skyfall script, which also had the idea of M dying. He didn't get a story credit. Was this perhaps because his outline was incomplete before the production froze and he left?

M's death was P&W's idea, though, she was to die in QoS but they eventually realized the movie had no room for that and if she were to die she better have a major focus in the story.

It was never put on paper for QoS though (as far as I'm aware), and ultimately what's on paper is what counts.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,994

@peter, isn't it usually the case that the first writers--and the last--are the most likely to get credit? I know first writers often get "story by," which really means "first full draft."
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,459
    New cast member on imdb page of Bond 25:

Lampros Kalfuntzos (Mi: Fallout) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7887724/
    Born in Greece, mabey earlier Italy wil double for Greece. He is credit as Cyclist (= biker)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Now we're going exceptionally detailed here. ;-)
    I don't trust him as much as some people on this site, but Baz just "revealed" on Twitter that Christoph Waltz is indeed at Pinewood right now shooting Blofeld scenes
  • RC7RC7
    Waltz is at Pinewood.
    And here we go... Where's @PanchitoPistoles and his list? ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I have to say I'm quite pleased with this, though most on here won't be.
    I'm ok with it. One of my hopes is that Bond25 will elevate SP. So I'm game.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Great news, I think.
    Well there it is. I’m not surprised. 99% sure it will be a cameo/one scene deal. This ought to blow up the boards.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I have to say I'm quite pleased with this, though most on here won't be.

I second this I say give him another shot and it makes sense if they are going to stick with the continuity.
    Don't like this at all. Last thing I wanted is Spectre 2.0.

But this has enough new characters and a new story to keep me interested.
    Univex wrote: »
    I'm ok with it. One of my hopes is that Bond25 will elevate SP. So I'm game.
    Agreed. Give him one great scene to redeem his Blofeld, at least slightly.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126
    I'm sure the folks at EON are furious this got leaked.

Nothing about it screams Spectre 2. It's got continuation because it's in the same universe, a DC universe (that's Daniel Craig, btw). But it can be a beast of its own. And it will. I'm hoping one will elevate the other.
    It was always going to happen. EON didn't get the SPECTRE and Blofeld rights back to use them in one film and be done with it. With Madeline coming back, it made sense. Hopefully this will indeed elevate SP in peoples eyes

Nothing about it screams Spectre 2. It's got continuation because it's in the same universe, a DC universe (that's Daniel Craig, btw). But it can be a beast of its own. And it will. I'm hoping one will elevate the other.
    Madeleine returning
    Possible Madeleine flashback of a story she told in Spectre that might link the new villain to Mr. White
    Blofeld returning

That's enough indication. And it reeks of Purvis and Wade to me. But hey, as I said...

If they want to cash in the money and make this his last all the characters should be involved. I wouldn't have a problem with Maleks Villain being a number 2.
    There’s no way it’s going to be a major role. Malek is the main villain. I already speculated and still think it’s going to be a scene of Bond visiting Blofeld in jail to interrogate him about Malek’s character. I’m no fan of what they did with Blofeld in SP, but this doesn’t have to ruin the new movie. Let’s hope it’s done well.
    I totally forgot that Rodrigo Perez reported the same thing shortly after the launch. Guess it was true.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I imagine it'll be just a couple scenes. I'm cool with that. It wasn't Waltz's fault the writing for his character was terrible.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    This is great news. Although I didn't care much for Waltz's tepid portrayal, I've always said that his arc couldn't have finished with SP and that B25 was, in a way, destined to be the follow up. The film can now give Waltz a solid chance to redeem himself and thereby make SP a better film in hindsight. (This is the reason why I've still not been able to make a final verdict on the film.) The only fear is that the whole Blofeld storyline has the potential to drag down B25. SP's specter, as it were.