No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Maybe she'll get a chance to record a song that can live outside the titles

Her song is great on the main titles but outside that pretty dreary.

Arnold and Cornell are the only ones to provide a song that endures and sounds great without the film.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    For those keeping track - the EXIF data on that still with Craig places it on September 5, and seemingly Day 85 of shooting...just before they went to Matera.

Does it hint at a trailer? this week?

Universal is about to release Last Chirstmas and Children in Need is soon (Spectre had a short exclusive written by David Walliams).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I don't see Adele singing for a Fukunaga Bond film, we'll see.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Contraband wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    EON tweeting that photo first published by Empire:

Is this from NTTD? Looks like a working class hero.

Yes. it's from a unknown set. First published this past week in Empire magazine, two pages article.

He knows that he just cannot stay positive for long.
    peter wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    How much does an aerial shot cost? Most of the Rome stuff is shot at night and you don't see much. Was it too much to expect some street scenes? A fight amongst the ruins of the Roman forum? A rendezvous with a contact inside St Peters? Something that actually showed Bond convincingly in Rome? Such a missed opportunity. So lame.

There was loads of Rome in it. It looked great. I saw him on the street, overlooking the city etc.
    The director deserves a (few) week(s) off, IMO. I'm sure EON has a very strict schedule, and Fukunaga surely knows when he's expected to show up again.
    He's just been shooting for months. Cut him some slack.

It does seem a bit odd, to be honest.

That’s coz you’ve directed a lot of two hundred million dollar films... (eyes roll)

Have you?

Not at all, but I don't find a director taking the weekend off as being odd.

If I can’t comment because I haven’t directed huge movies then neither can you.

I’ve worked on film sets, @mtm . I’ve been in editing suites watching the assemblies and various cuts happening. Knowing the director is on a mini vacation between shooting and editing is not odd.

100% right. It'll take the editors a good couple of weeks to finish the first cut - they have tons of material to work thru. even though they have been assembling the footage from the second day of Principle Photography, when the first footage arrived in the cutting rooms. Director's often like to let the editors get on with finishing the first cut before the director starts to work closely with the film and sound editors, so it's the perfect time for a director to grab a few days vacation and recharge their batteries.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,554
    Shardlake wrote: »

Arnold and Cornell are the only ones to provide a song that endures and sounds great without the film.

giphy.gif
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

In my social circle where not everyone has necessarily even seen a Bond film, only one of Craig’s themes comes up in casual conversation as something worth listening to, and I’ll give you a hint: it sure ain’t Chris Cornell.
    antovolk wrote: »
    For those keeping track - the EXIF data on that still with Craig places it on September 5, and seemingly Day 85 of shooting...just before they went to Matera.

Universal is about to release Last Chirstmas and Children in Need is soon (Spectre had a short exclusive written by David Walliams).

I don't think so...would be amazing though of course but even then, the last report mentioning December came literally this past weekend so...

I don't think so...would be amazing though of course but even then, the last report mentioning December came literally this past weekend so...

I'd make a small allowance for the fact that perhaps Craig (or his people) want it released in time for attachment to Knives Out, but only a very slim one—early/mid December in advance of Star Wars certainly seems like the window at this point.

It will all happen soon enough!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited November 2019 Posts: 7,980

In large part I do, but sometimes , as with a
    TripAces wrote: »

giphy.gif

I would think he means of the Craig era.
  • antovolk wrote: »

I just can’t se it coming with Star Wars. Firstly, it’s too late and Disney have a myriad of their own film to attach to that including Black Widow, Mulan, Jungle Cruise, Free Guy and The King’s Man. That’s not even including Tenet – which will likely have an IMAX exclusive – and Birds of Prey.

There are only 5 trailer sots available. Will NTTD make the cut for a disney film when they have their own interests at heart? Doubt it.
    talos7 wrote: »

giphy.gif

What? YKMN is such a generic rock song. It's close to dreadful.

Meanwhile, the Craig era has produced two beautiful songs...I mean:

giphy.gif

YRCU.gif
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 3,164
    Uh, @Pierce2Daniel, not sure where you're getting the 'there are only 5 trailer sots available' :P In practice in cinemas? Maybe - some have as many as 10... But aside from Disney guaranteed two trailers of their own in front of all U.S. shows of Star Wars, everything is up for grabs...
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Could the unexpected rav reviews for 'Knives Out' at the festival circuit have had an effect on the trailer release?

It was only supposed to be a small film for Craig and de Armas, now they are both the standout stars of the film, could they want to use that to their advantage?
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 3,164
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Could the unexpected rav reviews for 'Knives Out' at the festival circuit have had an effect on the trailer release?

It was only supposed to be a small film for Craig and de Armas, now they are both the standout stars of the film, could they want to use that to their advantage?

Not at all. If they decide to drop the trailer in the next couple of weeks, sure they can ship it out to cinemas for Knives Out and then have it also play with SW. From a marketing standpoint, having it with KO is nothing more than a bonus, it's the placement with Star Wars that will have the big impact.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Williams is working on a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Christmas doco.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I just can’t se it coming with Star Wars. Firstly, it’s too late and Disney have a myriad of their own film to attach to that including Black Widow, Mulan, Jungle Cruise, Free Guy and The King’s Man. That’s not even including Tenet – which will likely have an IMAX exclusive – and Birds of Prey.

There are only 5 trailer sots available. Will NTTD make the cut for a disney film when they have their own interests at heart? Doubt it.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

YRCU.gif

YKMN is the strongest song of the Craig era, and beautifully intergraded into the score.
    Smith’s , limp, whiny song winning an OSCAR only demonstrates how meaningless that gold statue is now.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree YKMN is a brilliant theme. Here's hoping NTTD will have something as good.
    I also seem to be one of the few who loved Sam Smith's song.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    YKMN would have been my favorite and it has a great template of how bond song should be but they couldn't achieved what they wanted with it while Adele and Smith did.
    I agree YKMN is a brilliant theme. Here's hoping NTTD will have something as good.

I do love Skyfall, but YKMN has the edge for me, especially because the theme is so well woven into Arnold's score, which was lacking (if not completely) in Newman's SF and SP scores.

• I'll take Adele back if it means avoiding Ed Sheeran or Dua Lipa. At least she'll deliver an actual Bond title song. Lord help us.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 17,280

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

YRCU.gif

I can enjoy a bit of Adele and Sam Smith now and then, but these two songs… Ugh!

IMO, it's two of the worst songs we've got for the series.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

giphy.gif

YRCU.gif

Yikes.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

For sure they knew, that they were the standout stars of the film the moment they read the scipt for the first time.
    All the other characters are minor roles.
    I saw the movie at the London Film Festival. And I'm saying this a a huge Daniel Craig as James Bond Fans: "Knives Out" is the best movie he ever appeared in.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I loved it too. Actually I love all Craig songs. I used to loathe AWTD but it really has grown on me.
    I'll take Adele back if it means avoiding Ed Sheeran or Dua Lipa. At least she'll deliver an actual Bond title song. Lord help us.

Can't argue with that.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Love YKMN and how it was used within the score. But Skyfall (title) was awesome and a deserved hit. Don‘t let me start on WOTW though ....
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    How much does an aerial shot cost? Most of the Rome stuff is shot at night and you don't see much. Was it too much to expect some street scenes? A fight amongst the ruins of the Roman forum? A rendezvous with a contact inside St Peters? Something that actually showed Bond convincingly in Rome? Such a missed opportunity. So lame.

There was loads of Rome in it. It looked great. I saw him on the street, overlooking the city etc.
    The director deserves a (few) week(s) off, IMO. I'm sure EON has a very strict schedule, and Fukunaga surely knows when he's expected to show up again.

That’s coz you’ve directed a lot of two hundred million dollar films... (eyes roll)

Have you?

I’ve worked on film sets, @mtm . I’ve been in editing suites watching the assemblies and various cuts happening. Knowing the director is on a mini vacation between shooting and editing is not odd.

But you haven’t directed them...? :)
    Look, I’m happy to listen to you, but why be so adversarial about it? All I said was that it seemed odd; I know how tight these schedules can be.

Have you?

Look, I’m happy to listen to you, but why be so adversarial about it? All I said was that it seemed odd; I know how tight these schedules can be.

It's not odd at all for a director to grab a (much needed) break after filming which also gives the editor/s time to get the first cut of the film together, which, broadly speaking, takes a couple of weeks after the end of Principle Photography.

• 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited November 2019 Posts: 574

I think we're holding film on some sort of pedestal/oddity here. I work in a job where a lot of money is passed around with big deals, etc, and it isn't uncommon to see similar behaviour even with much tighter deadlines. With film, they are normal people at the end of the day working a job with different pressures, times and deadlines.

Besides, if you've been in any work place at all, you don't need to be doing "the job" to understand how the process works.... I'd be worried if anyone I worked with didn't have a grasp of that in terms of when someone can be present and when someone isn't. If I was an editor I'd be really annoyed if I had someone looking over my shoulder and not trusting me to fulfil my side of the bargain initially. It borders on control freakery and gets you a reputation quick outside of film... No idea how it is perceived in that industry.

Just my two penneth as it were. The ones that actually work in film are welcome to correct. I just see plenty of parallels to 'normal' work.

• HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Also, despite the hurdles that hit production (Craig's ankle, the explosion at Pinewood), filming seems to have gone smoothly and on schedule.
    If Fukunaga had decided on his own to spend a few days of vacation and hadn't notified EON, posting about his vacation on Instagram would be the last thing he would do.
    Also, despite the hurdles that hit production (Craig's ankle, the explosion at Pinewood), filming seems to have gone smoothly and on schedule.
    If Fukunaga had decided on his own to spend a few days of vacation and hadn't notified EON, posting about his vacation on Instagram would be the last thing he would do.

Of course Eon were notified, and I bet they also encouraged CF to grab a break. As I've said and @Peter has also stated, it is perfectly normal for a director to take a short vacation after intense filming and production while the editors get the first cut in shape, which CF and Eon will view on his return or close to that date. There is no story here.