No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I bet the lazy bastard even sleeps at night.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,554
    mtm wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    How much does an aerial shot cost? Most of the Rome stuff is shot at night and you don't see much. Was it too much to expect some street scenes? A fight amongst the ruins of the Roman forum? A rendezvous with a contact inside St Peters? Something that actually showed Bond convincingly in Rome? Such a missed opportunity. So lame.

There was loads of Rome in it. It looked great. I saw him on the street, overlooking the city etc.
    The director deserves a (few) week(s) off, IMO. I'm sure EON has a very strict schedule, and Fukunaga surely knows when he's expected to show up again.
    He's just been shooting for months. Cut him some slack.

It does seem a bit odd, to be honest.

That’s coz you’ve directed a lot of two hundred million dollar films... (eyes roll)

Have you?

Not at all, but I don't find a director taking the weekend off as being odd.

If I can’t comment because I haven’t directed huge movies then neither can you.

I’ve worked on film sets, @mtm . I’ve been in editing suites watching the assemblies and various cuts happening. Knowing the director is on a mini vacation between shooting and editing is not odd.

But you haven’t directed them...? :)
    Look, I’m happy to listen to you, but why be so adversarial about it? All I said was that it seemed odd; I know how tight these schedules can be.

I am not sure they are on a tight schedule at all. They have five months. I would have to research it, but that seems a lot longer than what they had in DC's previous four films. In fact, I think they were still filming CR, into July, prior to a late October release.
    TripAces wrote: »
    How much does an aerial shot cost? Most of the Rome stuff is shot at night and you don't see much. Was it too much to expect some street scenes? A fight amongst the ruins of the Roman forum? A rendezvous with a contact inside St Peters? Something that actually showed Bond convincingly in Rome? Such a missed opportunity. So lame.

There was loads of Rome in it. It looked great. I saw him on the street, overlooking the city etc.
    The director deserves a (few) week(s) off, IMO. I'm sure EON has a very strict schedule, and Fukunaga surely knows when he's expected to show up again.

That’s coz you’ve directed a lot of two hundred million dollar films... (eyes roll)

Have you?

I’ve worked on film sets, @mtm . I’ve been in editing suites watching the assemblies and various cuts happening. Knowing the director is on a mini vacation between shooting and editing is not odd.

Look, I’m happy to listen to you, but why be so adversarial about it? All I said was that it seemed odd; I know how tight these schedules can be.

I am not sure they are on a tight schedule at all. They have five months. I would have to research it, but that seems a lot longer than what they had in DC's previous four films. In fact, I think they were still filming CR, into July, prior to a late October release.

5 months is still tight.

edited November 2019 Posts: 4,554
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Have you?

5 months is still tight.

Just checked: five months is what they had on SF. Less than four months on SP. A little over four months on CR and QoS. FWIW.

I think CJF could take a month off, if he wanted to, return the first of December, and they would still have plenty of time in post.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    :))
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 565
    I can't believe the vacation/filming schedule is still the dominant topic.

All I will say is that I work in a field where the general public scrutinizes every movement we make (or so it feels). So often people comment without knowing what's really going on or the planning done in advance to make such a thing happen. Chances are, if he is taking a vacation, it's because he can do so. It was likely reviewed and granted (probably not without scrutiny) and any immediate work has been delegated out in the meantime to trustworthy people. Pacing oneself at work is very important, and I would imagine that is especially true for creative work.

Have you?

5 months is still tight.

Just checked: five months is what they had on SF. Less than four months on SP. FWIW.

I think CJF could take a month off, if he wanted to, return the first of December, and they would still have plenty of time in post.

Honestly, I spent over 10 years working in the cutting rooms on some pretty big films (including LTK), the Bond schedules are bloody tight now, 4 months is a sweat and means insane hours, and 5 months isn't going to be much easier either, but it is normal for a director to grab a short vacation after a shoot to give his editor and the editing team the time they need to get a first cut together. Once that first cut is viewed, probably very soon after CF returns from his break, the entire team will be at the coal face and working their nuts off, believe me.

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    What? YKMN is such a generic rock song. It's close to dreadful.

Meanwhile, the Craig era has produced two beautiful songs...I mean:

giphy.gif

YRCU.gif

Yikes.

Writing's on the wall is not only one of the worst Bondthemes, but also one of the worst popsongs I've ever heard.

mq6taDm.gif
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom

Hahaha!!!!! Brilliant!!!!!!
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Fukunaga is the first Bond director to be much involved with social media. We never got the scoop on what Campbell, Forster or Mendes did in the very days after filming wrapped. And I'd bet that a few of the older directors just got hammered for a few days then returned to work with a monster hangover.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Have you?

It's not odd at all for a director to grab a (much needed) break after filming which also gives the editor/s time to get the first cut of the film together, which, broadly speaking, takes a couple of weeks after the end of Principle Photography.

Then say that. Don’t say ‘how many multi million dollar films have you directed?’ like the other guy. There’s too much unnecessary aggression around here.

Have you?

5 months is still tight.

Just checked: five months is what they had on SF. Less than four months on SP. FWIW.

Honestly, I spent over 10 years working in the cutting rooms on some pretty big films (including LTK), the Bond schedules are bloody tight now, 4 months is a sweat and means insane hours, and 5 months isn't going to be much easier either, but it is normal for a director to grab a short vacation after a shoot to give his editor and the editing team the time they need to get a first cut together. Once that first cut is viewed, probably very soon after CF returns from his break, the entire team will be at the coal face and working their nuts off, believe me.

Well said, and thank you for your insights as always @ColonelSun. No doubt a group of unsung heroes working hard at this stage of the process. And that's just the process itself -- not to mention all (continual) creative elements and discussions still be navigated and solved.

Have you?

It's not odd at all for a director to grab a (much needed) break after filming which also gives the editor/s time to get the first cut of the film together, which, broadly speaking, takes a couple of weeks after the end of Principle Photography.

Then say that. Don’t say ‘how many multi million dollar films have you directed?’ like the other guy. There’s too much unnecessary aggression around here.

Er? I never said that at all. U can see my posts - I have politely and directly explained what I know from my own experience. No aggression at all from my end, but your post seems rather aggressive.

• peterpeter Toronto
    @mtm sarcasm, not aggression. I popped the idea of CF having a few days off as odd. It’s not.

I meant nothing by it. Didn’t mean to insult you or make you think I’m being aggressive.

Perhaps my initial response was based on fatigue; reading yet another non-story about to become more hand-wringing. That’s all.
    I have every confidence in CJF, and everyone needs a time out now and again.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I feel like this time off is so CJF could avoid feeling burned out (being solely focused on Bond for a year or so might do that) and going into editing and post-production with a fresh, clean slate
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    I agree with most on the subject of Carys break. It may be historically unheard of to take a break or look uncommitted but I think the opposite. EON will have signed it off and agreed that a break would be well earnt after a full on shoot and Cary can return refreshed ready to put full focus and energy into post production. I personally very much approve on this angle and I think it’ll show in the finished article.

You’ll get more out of someone if they’re happy in their work and feel valued as opposed to over worked and pressured 🍸
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    antovolk wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    For those keeping track - the EXIF data on that still with Craig places it on September 5, and seemingly Day 85 of shooting...just before they went to Matera.

Does it hint at a trailer? this week?

Universal is about to release Last Chirstmas and Children in Need is soon (Spectre had a short exclusive written by David Walliams).

I don't think so...would be amazing though of course but even then, the last report mentioning December came literally this past weekend so...

I just can’t se it coming with Star Wars. Firstly, it’s too late and Disney have a myriad of their own film to attach to that including Black Widow, Mulan, Jungle Cruise, Free Guy and The King’s Man. That’s not even including Tenet – which will likely have an IMAX exclusive – and Birds of Prey.

There are only 5 trailer sots available. Will NTTD make the cut for a disney film when they have their own interests at heart? Doubt it.
    talos7 wrote: »
    In large part I do, but sometimes , as with a
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Maybe she'll get a chance to record a song that can live outside the titles

Her song is great on the main titles but outside that pretty dreary.

Arnold and Cornell are the only ones to provide a song that endures and sounds great without the film.

giphy.gif

I would think he means of the Craig era.

giphy.gif

YRCU.gif

Oh @Pierce2Daniel you are amusing amongst your self satisfied smugness.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Arnold and Cornell are the only ones to provide a song that endures and sounds great without the film.

giphy.gif

Of course I meant just the DC era, like I said before Adele's song goes like gangbusters over the main titles but a song on its own, it's no GF, YOLT, DAF, LALD or NBDIB for starters.

Songs living outside of the titles pretty much ended with VTAK.

I don't think YKMN can be held up with the true classics but Adele's song would be another case if it wasn't attached to SF.

YKMN comes out of the gate from the get go, gives CR and cracking start after that superb and stylish PTS.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    JamesCraig wrote: »

giphy.gif

YRCU.gif

Yikes.

Writing's on the wall is not only one of the worst Bondthemes, but also one of the worst popsongs I've ever heard.

mq6taDm.gif

It's a poor song, badly performed.

Cornell wipes the floor with Smith every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Interestingly we have two editors this time, Tom Cross and Elliot Graham :)

giphy.gif

Of course I meant just the DC era, like I said before Adele's song goes like gangbusters over the main titles but a song on its own, it's no GF, YOLT, DAF, LALD or NBDIB for starters.

I don't think YKMN can be held up with the true classics but Adele's song would be another case if it wasn't attached to SF.

YKMN comes out of the gate from the get go, gives CR and cracking start after that superb and stylish PTS.

LOL..

giphy.gif
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    😆
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Good find, @Denbigh! Tom Cross appears to have a history working with Sandgren, but Elliot appears to not be connected to anyone else involved in the production.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Minion wrote: »
    Good find, @Denbigh! Tom Cross appears to have a history working with Sandgren, but Elliot appears to not be connected to anyone else involved in the production.
    So Tom Cross will probably have more of a hand in colour grading then :D
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 15,818
    I'm a bit confused. Dan Romer's out and the title song is rumored to be sung by Adele again? Perhaps a composer could be hired before finalizing a singer?

For the title track I'd prefer either someone new, or an iconic legend who has been around for decades.

I do like Adele's SF tune. However, the chord progression is pretty much the same as YKMN and AWTD, except in a different key.

Let's not resort to the Bond theme back rhythm chords for this tune, eh? Unless it's interwoven cleverly and briefly as per GF.
    I think it's good that CJF is taking time to step away for a moment because when he gets back he'll be refreshed and ready to look at the film from a different perspective. Also the editors need to do the rough assembly before he really dives in.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave

I'm guessing that Elliot Graham is there more because of his experience with action films (X2, Superman Returns, Captain Marvel) and Tom Cross is an editor that Fukunaga wanted, but he also doesn't have a ton of experience with action.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm guessing that Elliot Graham is there more because of his experience with action films (X2, Superman Returns, Captain Marvel) and Tom Cross is an editor that Fukunaga wanted, but he also doesn't have a ton of experience with action.
    Can't wait to see the final product :)
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 11,425

giphy.gif

YKMN definitely the best of the Craig era. SF is decent but not as good as some make out. TWOTW is actually a decent enough song IMO. Not a classic by any means - simply not memorable enough - but it is not a bad song. You can argue over Smith's rsther overwrought rendition and whether a different artist would have been better but technically speaking it's a well written song and I'd say pretty cinematic. And had it been worked into the overall score I think it would be much more affectionately regarded. The brief snippet of it that Newman allows around the train sequence is a stand out moment in the score. Skyfall is better overall but compositionally as others have pointed out it lacks something - it always feels like it's building to something that it never reaches. But I'm nit-picking - it's obviously a really good song and works well with the film (which I'm no fan of). I actually think the film would have been improved by Newman working Adele's song in throughout - one of the reasons I don't rate him as a Bond composer at all. And to think with SP he just rehashed his SF score rather than using more of Smith's song.

Having said that I'd be perfectly happy with a return from Adele. She's ridiculously talented and would I am sure produce a good song. I think she'd struggle to match her SF success though. As others have pointed out I am sure Cary has his ideas about the song as well.