No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    And the hate for SF & SP lives on
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 2,598
    There are some good things about Spectre but overall it's an average Bond movie at best.

As for Skyfall, I think it's a good film. I wonder why people don't like this movie. It isn't without a few flaws but nor are any of the Bond films.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Bounine wrote: »
    There are some good things about Spectre but overall it's an average Bond movie at best.

As for Skyfall, I think it's a good film. I wonder why people don't like this movie. It isn't without a few flaws but nor are any of the Bond films.

I view Spectre as a huge missed opportunity. I still like watching it, because IMO it has a lot of great moments, but it's also hard because it's so easy to see what could have been.

I’m of the impression that Skyfall is universally loved. Outside of these boards I’ve never heard anyone have anything other than high praise for it.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    TR007 wrote: »

I’m of the impression that Skyfall is universally loved. Outside of these boards I’ve never heard anyone have anything other than high praise for it.

I see the plots and lapses in logic, but I love SF; it’s one of my go to Bonds.
    My major problem with SF is that with its themes of disillusionment and age, it came to early in Craig’s tenure ; ideally I would have liked two additional films between QOS and SF , with it being Craig’s fifth.
    We needed more films with Bond in his prime on some stand alone adventures.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 11,425

I just feel SF is a bit of a downer movie. I personally prefer SP. But at the end of the day I am not a big Mendes fan full stop. I just don't particularly like his directing style although I've enjoyed a couple of his other films.

Very happy that Cary is directing this one. I saw Sin Nombre at the cinema years ago and thought it was good but didn't really register the director's name. Then I watched True Detectives Series 1 and loved it but again didn't register his name. It wasn't until he was chosen for NTTD that I actually linked all these things I'd watched and mostly really enjoyed to CJF. I like the fact he is a writer as well and clearly loves well structured narratoves/plots. We haven't had that in a Bond film for a long time.

I'm looking forward to some genuine intrigue, suspense and thrills. Mendes gave us an approximation of those things with his broad brush, impressionistic approach, but I think CJF is going to give us the real thing. A well told, gripping and suspenseful Bond film.

PWB's involvement bodes well too. Would be happy to see her pen a future Bond film solo. Perhaps a female voice on the writing team is something we've been missing for too long.

Would love to see Romer replaced with another composer and then everything would seem to be falling into place.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Fukunaga is the first Bond director to be much involved with social media. We never got the scoop on what Campbell, Forster or Mendes did in the very days after filming wrapped. And I'd bet that a few of the older directors just got hammered for a few days then returned to work with a monster hangover.

There’s a funny little anecdote by John Glen in his book. After shooting the pool scene, the cast and crew went off to party that night and Glen got to dance with a woman that turned him on so much he had a massive erection on the dance floor. That woman turned out to be Tula.

These days we might have seen him on the dance floor on people’s Instagram stories and the media would be reporting him as the novice director that’s an out of control drunkard unwittingly dancing with transgendered women.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. Dan Romer's out and the title song is rumored to be sung by Adele again? Perhaps a composer could be hired before finalizing a singer?
    It was just a rumor that for some reason people blew into a big balloon of hot air. Nothing to it really.

• edited November 2019 Posts: 2,598
    Getafix wrote: »

I just feel SF is a bit of a downer movie. I personally prefer SP. But at the end of the day I am not a big Mendes fan full stop. I just don't particularly like his directing style although I've enjoyed a couple of his other films.

Very happy that Cary is directing this one. I saw Sin Nombre at the cinema years ago and thought it was good but didn't really register the director's name. Then I watched True Detectives Series 1 and loved it but again didn't register his name. It wasn't until he was chosen for NTTD that I actually linked all these things I'd watched and mostly really enjoyed to CJF. I like the fact he is a writer as well and clearly loves well structured narratoves/plots. We haven't had that in a Bond film for a long time.

I'm looking forward to some genuine intrigue, suspense and thrills. Mendes gave us an approximation of those things with his broad brush, impressionistic approach, but I think CJF is going to give us the real thing. A well told, gripping and suspenseful Bond film.

PWB's involvement bodes well too. Would be happy to see her pen a future Bond film solo. Perhaps a female voice on the writing team is something we've been missing for too long.

Would love to see Romer replaced with another composer and then everything would seem to be falling into place.

There are darker moments in Skyfall which I like such as having a Bond with a wing down as it reminds me of the books.

Silva is a great villain and the scene when he first meets Bond and the location is reminiscent of the books and earlier films.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 1,706
    I really felt that SPECTRE was the lesser of the spy films released that year falling behind Mission Impossible and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. not to mention SPY. Looking forward to NTTD to make up for that.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 11,425
    It's not the darkness per se that I dislike, more the beats, pacing, tone, timbre. Just don't dig it. Looking forward though to what CJF cooks up. I've been saying for years: we need an American director; better writers; a Jamaican set story; return of the Aston Martin V8 Vantage (although I meant instead of the DB5, not as well as). Finally EON have come to their senses and listened to me 😉 so all is looking good.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 5,767
    Poor Dan Romer. Someone created this thread dedicated specifically to him, and now it´s misused to discuss everything but Dan Romer :-(.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Poor Dan Romer. Someone created this thread dedicated specifically to him, and now it´s misused to discuss everything but Dan Romer :-(.
    Wrong page @boldfinger Also why has this suddenly become a SF and SP review page? I thought this was about NTTD?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    No time to die looks as like it will come in at 150-175 mil

?????

The budget will likely be 150-175

If it ends up in the 150-175M range, it would be the lowest budget a Bond film’s had since CR.
  • Tuck91 wrote: »

?????

If it ends up in the 150-175M range, it would be the lowest budget a Bond film’s had since CR.

Considering the amount of time wasted with Danny Boyle - writing scripts, location scouting, building sets - before ditching it and working with CJF. Then the sheer volume of locations used for NTTD and Craig's injury...........you're looking in excess of $200 million.

It's kinda the standard in making these international action films. Also most studios lie with how much they spend on a film. If they say $200m it usually means $30 to $50 million more than that. Plus, marketing budgets are usually close to the size of production budgets. So NTTD is costing Universal/MGM at least $500-600 million.

?????

Considering the amount of time wasted with Danny Boyle - writing scripts, location scouting, building sets - before ditching it and working with CJF. Then the sheer volume of locations used for NTTD and Craig's injury...........you're looking in excess of $200 million.

It's kinda the standard in making these international action films. Also most studios lie with how much they spend on a film. If they say $200m it usually means $30 to $50 million more than that. Plus, marketing budgets are usually close to the size of production budgets. So NTTD is costing Universal/MGM at least $500-600 million.

If true then it has to do at least a billion to make double the investment back
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I highly doubt that they would risk needing the film to cross well over a billion to just break even. Those are Avengers: Endgame numbers and I just don't see it, at least not yet. Especially when you consider the revenue having to be split between domestic distributors (50% of which is owned by a company on shakey legs) and international distributors.

$350-400million would be more accurate at this point, I would say - if only because Spectre had similar figures including an estimated $100-120million marketing budget. That would put us in the $800million range for profit, roughly. Seems more feasible to me.

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Not much but found these. First one from Maratea with the rib boat. Second one (low quality) from the Gravina-set. The third from the RAF-base.

pnCJZaQ.jpg
    o00AKxQ.jpg
    gMAL4uI.jpg
    Oh wow. That last one's for sure NTTD? Hadn't heard about that as a location.
    AgentM72 wrote: »

Yeah, there was even this...

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/no-time-to-die-bond-crew-causes-evacuation-of-raf-air-base-073820594.html

Reminds me of an idea in the SP drafts that ultimately went unused, the meeting at the safehouse before the final act was at Mallory's old Army barracks, and Bond wanted to stop C by staging a military raid of the CNS building.

They shot car action and explosions at the base a few weeks ago. And forgot/left a van filled with 'SFX-dynamite' behind which prompted a terror-alarm and the whole base with 400 people had to be evacuated.
    BTW: RAF-pic was meant to highlight the camera tractor from Chapman rental. So the big plane has nothing to do with the action.
    Could the base be doubling for...
    those sequences rumored to be set at Porton Down?
    Contraband wrote: »
    Not much but found these. First one from Maratea with the rib boat. Second one (low quality) from the Gravina-set. The third from the RAF-base.

pnCJZaQ.jpg
    o00AKxQ.jpg
    gMAL4uI.jpg

EDIT: RAF-base pic >> Aston Martin DBS Superleggera to the right, according to some twitterguy.

Yes, thats a superleggera alright. Nicely spotted.
  • WhyBondWhyBond USA

The problem with SkyFall is the villain. I hated that the villain had "Mommy" issues. It took away from his menace that he wanted to kill M so bad. It would been better if he targeted all of MI 6 instead of trying to settle the score over how his "Mommy" abandoned him.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    antovolk wrote: »

Yeah, there was even this...

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/no-time-to-die-bond-crew-causes-evacuation-of-raf-air-base-073820594.html

Reminds me of an idea in the SP drafts that ultimately went unused, the meeting at the safehouse before the final act was at Mallory's old Army barracks, and Bond wanted to stop C by staging a military raid of the CNS building.

That sounds awesome. Way better than what we ended up with.

Thats Spectre all over though. Better ideas tossed aside for what we got.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited November 2019 Posts: 8,021
    WhyBond wrote: »

The problem with SkyFall is the villain. I hated that the villain had "Mommy" issues. It took away from his menace that he wanted to kill M so bad. It would been better if he targeted all of MI 6 instead of trying to settle the score over how his "Mommy" abandoned him.

Then you'd be taking one of the most interesting aspects of his character away and supplanting it with something more generic. SF is about the bad decisions M has made that's coming back to haunt her, and how it impacts her agents.

talos7 wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »

I see the plots and lapses in logic, but I love SF; it’s one of my go to Bonds.
    My major problem with SF is that with its themes of disillusionment and age, it came to early in Craig’s tenure ; ideally I would have liked two additional films between QOS and SF , with it being Craig’s fifth.
    We needed more films with Bond in his prime on some stand alone adventures.

Bond still is in his prime. The issue of age was only something Mallory brought up, while the real issue was Bond really just being out of sorts and having to put himself back together.
  • WhyBondWhyBond USA

Then you'd be taking one of the most interesting aspects of his character away and supplanting it with something more generic. SF is about the bad decisions M has made that's coming back to haunt her, and how it impacts her agents.
    Aww boo boo. Silvia knew the risks when he signed up to fight for Queen and Country. He knew he was expendable and that was his job. At the end when M is bleeding to death he caresses her doesn't seem like the guy hell bent on killing her in the first place. Javier is a great actor and it was a shame they wrote his character as a weak grown man with Mommy issues.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Aww boo boo. Silvia knew the risks when he signed up to fight for Queen and Country. He knew he was expendable and that was his job.

You're completely missing the point. MakeshiftPython was not justifying Silva. I also agree with @MakeshiftPython when they say that Silva's mommy issues are the most interesting aspect of Silva.
    it was a shame they wrote his character as a weak grown man with Mommy issues.

Tony Soprano is a grown man and he has mommy issues yet he's one of the most interesting and realistic villains on TV and The Sopranos is arguably the best tv show ever.