Should we get a new M / Q / Moneypenny for BOND 26 and beyond ?

Comments

They should all be replaced, but could Craig come back as a different Bond, from a different timeline?

IF, and that's a big if, they were to go down the alternate timeline route (and i'm not saying that they should), then they might as well go just the whole hog, and do the Bond version of the Guardians Of The Edge from Power of The Doctor.

That clip makes me want to see a version of M played by either Sylvester McCoy or Paul McGan for some reason... that's if they wanted to go for an older M.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Bond: "... too soon, too soon."
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    007HallY wrote: »
    They should all be replaced, but could Craig come back as a different Bond, from a different timeline?

IF, and that's a big if, they were to go down the alternate timeline route (and i'm not saying that they should), then they might as well go just the whole hog, and do the Bond version of the Guardians Of The Edge from Power of The Doctor.

That clip makes me want to see a version of M played by either Sylvester McCoy or Paul McGan for some reason... that's if they wanted to go for an older M.

I think McCoy would make a better Q. While I could see McGann as M.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    M: *opens drinks cabinet and pours himself a scotch* "What's your poison?"
    Bond: "........"

👍👍👍😂😂😂

Between @NickTwentyTwo and @MajorDSmythe , I'd very much like to see them write a proper Bond spoof.
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 2,897
    007HallY wrote: »

I think McCoy would make a better Q. While I could see McGann as M.

I get what you mean. McCoy has that ability to be whimsical without being cartoonish and it's easy to see him playing a sort of 'wacky inventor' version of Q. Similar to how Llewelyn played the part in his later Bond films.

I like the idea of him as M because there's something interesting about seeing someone like McCoy who, let's be honest has a sort of 'nice old Grandfather' vibe to him, playing a man who has to make difficult and often quite cold decisions, essentially sending people like Bond on missions they might never come back from etc. Definitely McGan is a good potential M though if they wanted to keep going down the Fiennes direction (side note, the man's looking good for 63).
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    It's probably too confusing to bring back the Scooby Gang immediatly. However, I always loved the slightly repertoire theatre troupe aspect of Eon casting, so I hope someone from the franchise returns. Colin Salmon has long been championed on here. I'm sure Samantha Bond could at least do a one-off character and Tobias Menzies was pretty underused. I could see both him and Rory Kinnear do M in maybe 10 years. A bit more out there would be Charles Dance - most people probably have no idea he was in a Bond - but I don't really see him in the MI6 group (although, come to think of it, he could be a very fun Q).
    I would have loved Robbie Coltrane to return, alas that is no longer possible.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    If they want to really confuse people, cast Samantha Bond as M.
    Personally if they were to go down that route I'd get Timothy Dalton to play M. It'll never happen but there's something just so right about it.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    LucknFate wrote: »
    If they want to really confuse people, cast Samantha Bond as M.

I’m down. She’s a close second for me after Maxwell. Naomi Harris was great but not exactly the direction I’d have taken Moneypenny.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,928
    I've long thought that Samuel West would make a great M. Yeah, maybe a bit too similar to Fiennes, as someone suggested last time we discussed it on here, but I do think he'd do a great job if that's the kind of M that EON wanted for the new Bond.
    Now, I really don't like biopics and avoid them wherever possible, so I deliberately didn't watch 'Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond' when it was broadcast several years ago. However, for some reason, I thought I'd get the dvd for cheap and watch it this Xmas. Just for jolly, etc.
    And there was Samuel West, playing Sir John Godfrey, Fleming's boss at Naval Intelligence during the Second World War and one of the main models for M. So, in a way, West's already played M and I doubt he'll get another chance! Can't find any short clips, but there's a fairly good idea of how it might've gone for a couple of minutes from 34.25 here (and note the office doors... ;) ).

• Speaking of Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond, Annabelle Wallis could be a great Moneypenny.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Keep M, Q and Penny.
    Clean slate, unless it's to bring Fiennes back as Sir Miles Messervy, with no reference to Mallory at all!
    Venutius wrote: »
    Clean slate, unless it's to bring Fiennes back as Sir Miles Messervy, with no reference to Mallory at all!

That's pretty much what they did with Judy Dench.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Exactly. It'd double down on the post-modern jest by pulling the same trick twice. Bit of a gimmick, I guess, but I just can't think of anyone better to play M than Fiennes.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm still on the Olivia Colman train. While overall another female M would be interesting to see done again, I feel Colman would be perfect because I feel she'd be able to pull off something different to Dench and create something quite nuanced.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Exactly. It'd double down on the post-modern jest by pulling the same trick twice. Bit of a gimmick, I guess, but I just can't think of anyone better to play M than Fiennes.

I think they'll keep an actor of his stature. They already have to recast Bond, cast the villain, the Bond girls, etc. Keeping the same M is one less thing to worry about.
    Yes, she was pretty good in a similar role in The Night Manager.
  • SilvermothSilvermoth Australia
    I loved Naome and I would be delighted if she could come back. But I think a fresh start is a good idea
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I don't see how after a full circle of the Craig Bond, the franchise could start anew by using the old personnel, however great a job they did. I'm all for a fully clean slate and would appreciate yet another new beginning, with Bond as a 00 rookie. Doesn't mean we have to remake CR...although I'd like a period piece true to the novel, but I don't suppose modern cinema-goers would appreciate that.
  • SilvermothSilvermoth Australia
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm still on the Olivia Colman train. While overall another female M would be interesting to see done again, I feel Colman would be perfect because I feel she'd be able to pull off something different to Dench and create something quite nuanced.

Same, I love Olivia in everything and she would be an incredible M
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 988
    Do you think they should adapt female Q from the continuation novels?
    "Q'te"
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Do you think they should adapt female Q from the continuation novels?
    "Q'te"

No god please no
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Don't really know much about Q'ute, but I'd like to see Miss Nagai from Everything or Nothing. Bond's constant flirting would create fun banter between him and grumpy Q.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    He might be a little too old now, but I could see David Jason being a fun version of Q.
    At 83 it might be a bit late.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 9 Posts: 4,441
    Will Tom Cruise play Felix in Bond 27/28 and mabey even Bond 29/30.

Bond 26 like NTTD wil be made by MGM/Universal but with help of Amazon. Bond 27/28 wil be made by MGM/Warner with help of Amazon. With Bond 29 Eon must find a new parner again, i always making joke Paramount next. So mabey Bond 29/30 wil made by Paramount under Warner and MGM/Amazon.

If Paramount wil bought by Warner, i stil think that some movie's wil be released by Paramount with note of Warner. In The Netherlands with exeption of NTTD (And Bond 26) and Animated movie's from Universal are released with help of Warner. Paramount movie's till 2022 released with help of Universal, but since then by Dutch company DFW exept Top Gun 2.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Tom Cruise will never play more than a cameo role in a Bond movie because of his salary requirements.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    How about Tim Roth for Q?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited January 10 Posts: 1,261
    Judi Dench's M in the Brosnan Bond is IMO not the same character than in the Craig movies. In SP we learn, that M was MI 6 section chief in Hongkong during the handing over of Hongkong to China in 1997. Dench's M at that time is already M. And Emma Thompson would be a excellent M, and Bill Nighy or Toby Jones might be a good pick as Q. And Feliciy Jones might be a good Moneypenny. If they decide to start with a compete new MI6 staff.