"I don t drink...wine."- The Dracula Thread

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Well, he gets around.

PZPVdAr.gif
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Apparently there's another Universal DRACULA movie coming out that's going to be a futuristic sci-fi western directed by Chloe Zhao.
    I wonder if Cage will play the role for both films?

I understand Universal is trying to make a Marvel like franchise based on their classic horror movies characters. Only darker. Frankly they should have started with Dracula and Frankenstein, in more faithful-ish adaptations, rather than go for the Mummy and stick Tom Cruise to it.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,925
    I really liked the BBC's Dracula when I first saw it, but it does look very much of its time now. The set pieces still hold up well (the brides in the library; Dracula and Lucy in the cemetery at Whitby; the Bloofer Lady and Highgate cemetery; Dracula and Mina; Mina, Van Helsing and the brides in the forest), Judi Bowker was a great Mina, Finlay was a good Van Helsing and Jourdan was ok, wasn't he? They actually filmed in Whitby and this was the first time I saw an attempt to show Dracula climbing down the castle wall face-down, too. Harker's pudding bowl haircut, that guy's fake American accent, the fake sea when the Demeter was wrecked, the rubbish bats and Ma Westenra as something out of a spoof Victoria Wood sketch weren't too great, though. The BBC billed it as a 'gothic romance' at the time, so there wasn't much horror in it, but at least they avoided the reincarnated lover stuff that gets shoved into so many adaptations.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Apparently there's another Universal DRACULA movie coming out that's going to be a futuristic sci-fi western directed by Chloe Zhao.
    I wonder if Cage will play the role for both films?

I understand Universal is trying to make a Marvel like franchise based on their classic horror movies characters. Only darker. Frankly they should have started with Dracula and Frankenstein, in more faithful-ish adaptations, rather than go for the Mummy and stick Tom Cruise to it.

I agree.
    Venutius wrote: »
    I really liked the BBC's Dracula when I first saw it, but it does look very much of its time now. The set pieces still hold up well (the brides in the library; Dracula and Lucy in the cemetery at Whitby; the Bloofer Lady and Highgate cemetery; Dracula and Mina; Mina, Van Helsing and the brides in the forest), Judi Bowker was a great Mina, Finlay was a good Van Helsing and Jourdan was ok, wasn't he? They actually filmed in Whitby and this was the first time I saw an attempt to show Dracula climbing down the castle wall face-down, too. Harker's pudding bowl haircut, that guy's fake American accent, the fake sea when the Demeter was wrecked, the rubbish bats and Ma Westenra as something out of a spoof Victoria Wood sketch weren't too great, though. The BBC billed it as a 'gothic romance' at the time, so there wasn't much horror in it, but at least they avoided the reincarnated lover stuff that gets shoved into so many adaptations.

It is very flawed and the casting goes from inspired (Judi Bowker is my favourite Mina) to not great (Finlay, Jourdan, great actors but not for these roles). But I loved their "naturalistic" approach to horror: real settings instead of made up gothic decors, not much if any special effects (yes they were bad, but I prefer bad fx to overblown ones), etc.
    It is hit and miss, definitely, and doesn't seem as great now as it did at the time - but still more hit than miss I'd say and, if I had to have just one version, it'd be this one. In 1977, we'd only seen the Hammer and Universal films on British tv so it was good to see a version that included so many of the scenes from the book. Totally agree re. Judi Bowker.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I'm currently watching the Louis Jordan version. I can't believe I've never seen this before. $0m minute sin and I'm fairly pleased.
    I love the Louis Jourdan version.
    It is hit and miss, definitely, and doesn't seem as great now as it did at the time - but still more hit than miss I'd say and, if I had to have just one version, it'd be this one. In 1977, we'd only seen the Hammer and Universal films on British tv so it was good to see a version that included so many of the scenes from the book. Totally agree re. Judi Bowker.

Overall it's one of the best ones and it shows that you can create a Dracula that is faithful to the novel. This adaptation is not perfect in that regard, mind you, but it's better than most. They were spot on about using natural settings, particularly for Whitby. Big fancy gothic set pieces often end up looking fake and ridiculous.
    Yes, it really added to the atmosphere. It was great to see Lucy and Mina counting the 199 steps as they walked up to Whitby Abbey and to see the abbey against the skyline behind them when they were in the graveyard. Hah - the first time I ever went up those steps to the abbey I actually thought 'Judi Bowker's walked up here!' :D
    But what about Nick Cage.................... as Dracula
    Yes, it really added to the atmosphere. It was great to see Lucy and Mina counting the 199 steps as they walked up to Whitby Abbey and to see the abbey against the skyline behind them when they were in the graveyard. Hah - the first time I ever went up those steps to the abbey I actually thought 'Judi Bowker's walked up here!' :D

I want to visit Withby badly.
    delfloria wrote: »
    But what about Nick Cage.................... as Dracula
    My first reaction: bad idea. If they want remake a Universal Horror Cinematic Universe a la Marvel, it could work, but I really don't see Cage as Dracula. I guess they want to find themselves their own Robert Downey Jr.
    The new Dracula Nicolas Cage................

294972_c6ae1ab738686d5ffa0afebc4a9e6c25_t.jpg?Expires=1648318682&Signature=RUFMi1p5pszhvKswGXHiXQzKFKOfHnrS8oJWsYMgRIoerpq2ZHYv10X3ry5n7GgDpWd18IPpRgGuhsnDwa1AU6TGf5FgJzQSuH45q4oOcp6ksocEs5sEYWc15a2cRmyRIFxH6Np0Qs3tKAtvOtaCUwwhH3OH~crNs~XeUEiZUW0caa0NZILrxTA-ol3CP6EXHjUOQ6GQo3eQlytyEolfGGDaGOu9pXRHZON1q~oKZ5PuS2ndhQ6-Z2AY~h8-b8W~Po1ogkvG7FhTID7JveVjwEKHzXsh7QJH9apwmptLvHR091YtcUQK3YIROLcVFMUJMhPPgutM8owMay3CTQHGIg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA

• ToTheRight wrote: »

294972_c6ae1ab738686d5ffa0afebc4a9e6c25_t.jpg?Expires=1648318682&Signature=RUFMi1p5pszhvKswGXHiXQzKFKOfHnrS8oJWsYMgRIoerpq2ZHYv10X3ry5n7GgDpWd18IPpRgGuhsnDwa1AU6TGf5FgJzQSuH45q4oOcp6ksocEs5sEYWc15a2cRmyRIFxH6Np0Qs3tKAtvOtaCUwwhH3OH~crNs~XeUEiZUW0caa0NZILrxTA-ol3CP6EXHjUOQ6GQo3eQlytyEolfGGDaGOu9pXRHZON1q~oKZ5PuS2ndhQ6-Z2AY~h8-b8W~Po1ogkvG7FhTID7JveVjwEKHzXsh7QJH9apwmptLvHR091YtcUQK3YIROLcVFMUJMhPPgutM8owMay3CTQHGIg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA

On his way to the makeup and costume trailer?
    He looks like a hipster Lugosi.
    Interesting that the make-up is based on Lugosi.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    He looks like he's seen a ghost.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I thought that it was John Travolta for a second.
    Revelator wrote: »
    He looks like a hipster Lugosi.

My thoughts exactly. With a dash of Gary Oldman. I really don't know about it. I see they're trying to go the Marvel route. It could work, but I'd rather have a faithful adaptation.
    I like that he's got a Lugosi thing going. However, he needs a damned cape.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It must be a comedy, and that’s not a bad thing.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

He needs to get cape, wear cape and then he'd be flying.

I guess they should go for visual tropes. Lugosi's appearance as Dracula is like Spider-Man's uniform: it's iconic.

That said I wonder how they can maintain the fear factor in a potential "Universal Horrorverse". Assuming it can take momentum in the first place: after all their Mummy failed already.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

This made me laugh.
  • ToTheRight wrote: »

This made me laugh.

:D
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

This made me laugh.

:D
    Still Count Dracula Jr. Or maybe his nephew.

draculajr.jpg
    2bg6.gif

I can't believe I forgot to mention it here, but the 26th was Dracula Day, the 125th anniversary of his publication. They made a gathering in Whitby: https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2022/may/26/whitby-abbey-breaks-record-of-most-people-dressed-as-vampires
    I can't believe I forgot to mention it here, but the 26th was Dracula Day, the 125th anniversary of his publication. They made a gathering in Whitby: https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2022/may/26/whitby-abbey-breaks-record-of-most-people-dressed-as-vampires

Wow! That's great! Surprised I missed Dracula Day.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Wow! That's great! Surprised I missed Dracula Day.
    R.7b985972e95ba47231bc5c04939ee1ec?rik=aj0pX%2bnD7oJLnA&riu=http%3a%2f%2fquotesbae.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2018%2f01%2fD-Day-Meme-Funny-Image-Photo-Joke-05.jpg&ehk=YEzKNBKrAxQE%2fIACCKa8AwApXp4y38lZvSgopqMn6LE%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0