NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

antovolk wrote: »
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    The_Return wrote: »
    With the Oscars looking less and less likely now, will a summer 2021 date just seem more feasible?
    Imagine asking this question a day after Warner announces that TENET will be released 4 weeks from now in dozens of countries around the globe...

If Tenet cannot open in the US due to the pandemic, it won't be allowed to be nominated for any Oscars. Unless WB caves in and the US gets a VOD release while the rest of the world enjoys Tenet on the big screen.

Tenet just needs ONE week in an L.A. theatre before the end of February to compete for the Oscars. That will be no problem.
    Warner owns some theatres in L.A.

And all California cinemas are closed due to being one of the worst-hit state in the country.

But luckily, the coronavirus will disappear like magic for just one week so Tenet can get a cinema run. Because Covid-19 is a big Nolan fan.

worth noting that the eligibility period is until end of Feb...

And the eligibility rules for the Oscars state that it has to be running in cinemas, but not that a crowd of people should be able to see it in cinemas, right?
    So, in theory, WB can just screen the film in one of their theaters, with minimal attendance.

Not just one theatre. There's a minimum number of screens required too, isn't there?

For the 2021 awards because of the pandemic, you can have a VOD release as long as a theatrical release was planned.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    With the Oscars looking less and less likely now, will a summer 2021 date just seem more feasible?
    Imagine asking this question a day after Warner announces that TENET will be released 4 weeks from now in dozens of countries around the globe...

If Tenet cannot open in the US due to the pandemic, it won't be allowed to be nominated for any Oscars. Unless WB caves in and the US gets a VOD release while the rest of the world enjoys Tenet on the big screen.

Tenet just needs ONE week in an L.A. theatre before the end of February to compete for the Oscars. That will be no problem.

And all California cinemas are closed due to being one of the worst-hit state in the country.

But luckily, the coronavirus will disappear like magic for just one week so Tenet can get a cinema run. Because Covid-19 is a big Nolan fan.

And the eligibility rules for the Oscars state that it has to be running in cinemas, but not that a crowd of people should be able to see it in cinemas, right?
    So, in theory, WB can just screen the film in one of their theaters, with minimal attendance.

Not just one theatre. There's a minimum number of screens required too, isn't there?

For the 2021 awards because of the pandemic, you can have a VOD release as long as a theatrical release was planned.

That does change things..
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 3,164
    Universal just made history - struck a deal with AMC ending the ban on their films (including NTTD internationally) and shrinking the US theatrical window from 90 to 17 days - just three weeks.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/universal-amc-theatres-historic-deal-windows-1234718737/
    Universal just made history - struck a deal with AMC ending the ban on their films (including NTTD internationally) and shrinking the US theatrical window from 90 to 17 days - just three weeks.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/universal-amc-theatres-historic-deal-windows-1234718737/

That ABSOLUTELY changes things. How does that potentially effect NTTD?
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 3,164

That ABSOLUTELY changes things. How does that potentially effect NTTD?

I think between this and the undoubtful pressure from non-US cinemas following the Tenet thing, it's gonna stay November. Potentially PVOD by end of the year (in the US at least). They're still working out the details of the deal internationally (eg the effect on Odeon in the UK - where exclusive theatrical window is 16 weeks). That being said MGM still retains global digital distribution for the film but since they're doing Bill & Ted day and date in the U.S...easily can piggyback.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 824
    Could be November............even if cinema audiances are disappointing, Universal can put on VOD within 3 weeks of cinema release. Theatres are clearly in a weak position and incresingly desperate. Nice for Universal, trigger VOD if cinema audiences tank but hold back if theatre audiences are good. Best of all worlds. However, this still leaves the possibility that NTTD will be mainly a VOD experience in much of the world. How would Barbara Broccoli feel about that?

As far as I know one theatre was always enough for the Oscars.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    May well be November............even if cinema audiances are disappointing, Universal can put on VOD within 3 weeks of cinema release. Theatres are clearly in a weak position and incresingly desperate. Nice for Universal, trigger VOD if cinema audiences tank but hold back if theatre audiences are good. Best of all worlds. However, this still leaves the possibility that NTTD will be mainly a VOD experience in much of the world. How would Barbara Broccoli feel about that?

I'm sure all the filmmakers would be upset that most won't or can't see it on the big screen, but during these times what else can you really do?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Historic deal but it doesn’t mean NTTD would get this treatment.
    matt_u wrote: »

It doesn't but it's certainly a factor in play. NTTD is Universal's only major blockbuster still standing in 2020.

It doesn't but it's certainly a factor in play. NTTD is Universal's only major blockbuster still standing in 2020.

You know I don’t think it’s gonna work for such a blockbuster like Bond. Tenet’s numbers will clear things up for NTTD as well.

You know I don’t think it’s gonna work for such a blockbuster like Bond. Tenet’s numbers will clear things up for NTTD as well.

Have a feeling they're going to wait and see what happens with Tenet and how much of a success it will be.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    I think Tenet will struggle to reach $400 million from its theatrical run.
    I can't see nttd releasing before fall 2021, even with the universal/ amc deal. Hate to be a pessimist.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I can't see nttd releasing before fall 2021, even with the universal/ amc deal. Hate to be a pessimist.

Point is NTTD is the real only billion asset MGM has. WB, Universal, Disney on the other hand are much bigger studios with plenty of blockbuster down the pipeline waiting to be released so for them waiting for an "optimal" window next year wouldn't be sustainable. MGM has only NTTD and if it flops badly due to the pandemic, who nows what would happen to the company.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    MeetBond wrote: »
    There will likely never be another Oscars. Period.

Don't do that, don't give me hope.
  • Clearly the theatre owners are desperate for NTTD to be released into their outlets as soon as possible. However Infection rates are increasing in much of Europe. Mainland China is battling the most aggressive return of COVID-19 in months, confirming 57 new locally transmitted cases on Sunday, the highest level since early March, driven by fresh infections in the far western region of Xinjiang. A NTTD November release is still a huge risk as far as cinema box office is concerned. Nolan is playing fast and loose with Tenet's release because of his emotional attachment to the theatre experience. My understanding is that NTTD is paid for, no debts requiring servicing. MGM needs this to be a massive hit as it is it's only potential blockbuster on the slate.Certainly MGM don't want any more wasted marketing costs. NTTD has little to lose by waiting for better trading conditions to emerge. I now tend towards the position of NTTD cancelling November but leaving new release date open. Review regularly but only set a date that can be met.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »

Point is NTTD is the real only billion asset MGM has. WB, Universal, Disney on the other hand are much bigger studios with plenty of blockbuster down the pipeline waiting to be released so for them waiting for an "optimal" window next year wouldn't be sustainable. MGM has only NTTD and if it flops badly due to the pandemic, who nows what would happen to the company.

It's possible this situation may speed up a sale of MGM. That said I was under the impression that MGM wanted to build themselves up to eventually being able to distribute the Bond films themselves.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Regal Theaters in the US resumed advertising the 20 November 2020 release date for NO TIME TO DIE.

First, UNHINGED: 21 August. TENET: 3 September, the Thursday before Labor Day Weekend.

logo.svg
    NO TIME TO DIE
    https://www.regmovies.com/movies/no-time-to-die/ho00009902#/
    Release date: 20 November 2020
    Running time: 163 minutes
    In No Time To Die, James Bond has left active service and is enjoying a tranquil life in Jamaica. His peace is short-lived when his old friend Felix Leiter from the CIA turns up asking for help. The mission to rescue a kidnapped scientist turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology. Buy No Time To Die movie tickets and get showtimes at Regal theatres, on the Regal mobile app or online. Discover movie trailers and view upcoming movies at www.regmovies.com. Stop by a Regal theater near you today.
    Original title: No Time To Die
    Movie genre: Action
    Cast: Ben Whishaw, Daniel Craig, Ralph Fiennes, Jeffrey Wright, Naomie Harris, Rami Malek, Rory Kinnear, Ana de Armas, Lashana Lynch, Billy Magnussen, Léa Seydoux, David Dencik, Dali Benssalah
    Director: Cary Joji Fukunaga
    Production: 2020
    Age restrictions: PG13
    20200302-101151822.jpg

• As excited as I am for the new Bond, its impending release feels less and less important with everything else going on in world right now. If it came out today on VOD or in cinemas in November, I’d watch it in a heartbeat, but I’d rather experience it for the first time on the big screen once the world has returned to some kind of normal. Which as others have said is probably mid to late 2021, even early to mid 2022. It’s not my call though. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with cinemas this fall.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    As excited as I am for the new Bond, its impending release feels less and less important with everything else going on in world right now. If it came out today on VOD or in cinemas in November, I’d watch it in a heartbeat, but I’d rather experience it for the first time on the big screen once the world has returned to some kind of normal. Which as others have said is probably mid to late 2021, even early to mid 2022. It’s not my call though. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with cinemas this fall.

Honestly I'm not really that impatient for NTTD but everything else going in the world is exactly why I'd normally want a new Bond to come out, so we can talk about something else. I'm so sick of reading the same memes hundreds of times a day.
    Little did I know in late 2016 when I really started checking this site for updates on the new bond film that we would be here.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 824
    The UK Chief Medical Officer has said easing lockdown has gone as far at it can. Further easing will require trade offs. The priority is to reopen schools in September, this may mean that pub's and/or restaurants and/or cinemas may have to shut down from September for the foreseeable future.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The UK Chief Medical Officer has said easing lockdown has gone as far at it can. Further easing will require trade offs. The priority is to reopen schools in September, this may mean that pub's and/or restaurants and/or cinemas may have to shut down from September for the foreseeable future.

Political bargains again. How scientific.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 13,032
    AMC in the US advertises the opening date Friday 20 November.

photo.jpg
    bd67ca00240046d248feb3068a7f8b31ce899e16.png
    Bond is Back
    The 25th film in the James Bond franchise. James Bond has left active service. His peace is short-lived when Felix Leiter, an old friend from the CIA, turns up asking for help, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology.
    2 hr 43 min PG13
    Nov 20, 2020
    Action

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/no-time-to-die-57296/videos?videoId=6112913497001
    jfpfn60flovnjqzqijob.gif
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 4,400
    ‘Interstellar’ Reissue Jolts China With Biggest Single-Day Gross Since Cinemas Reopened – International Box Office

giphy.gif

The international box office is showing signs of life. Especially in China, which posted its biggest day since the pandemic on Sunday with a re-release of Interstellar (which I actually recently re-watched. I loved it in cinemas, but found it a little staid, exposition-heavy and so mawkish). The spectacular in Interstellar is something to behold on the big screen. So I can see why the film performed well.

I'm gonna be very intrigued to see the European numbers for Unhinged. My local cinemas were fairly full this weekend playing it, so it'll be interesting to see how that played.

So with the USA dark, we are now seeing box office numbers around the world. So far China is slowly waking up (though the numbers are positive, they aren't groundbreaking). It'll be very interesting to see how a genuine big new film plays in this international market.

With the contrasting stories of Russia planning widespread vaccinations in October and the UK desperately avoiding a second lockdown, could we see either a big bump to NTTD (June?) or a smaller push (February?).

As the story has been for the last few months....all eyes are on Tenet.

45e74446d081ff9f05a6ee7da0aa8788.gif
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Wow so Mulan is heading to Disney Plus on September 4th for $30!

https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/8/4/21354593/mulan-release-date-disney-earnings-warner-bros-tenet-theaters

Not a good sign at all for the movie industry... and Black Widow will likely follow...
    Is it a case of them having no faith in the film, or is it a case that the higher ups (even in a company as powerful as Disney?) are none the wiser as to when the virus will be under control and manageable?

I don't know if Mulan would fare so well in a crowded 2021...
    They simply cannot wait any longer to release their films and they’re trying this route. Mulan for the record was supposed to come out in March so it’s been a long delay. It’s the biggest Disney film of the year (it would’ve set records in China with a pretty much sure gross of 1 billion+ pre Covid) we are talking about here so seeing it coming directly on VOD in all the biggest markets except China is pretty big.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Disney's move with Mulan is a pretty big deal. I expect other blockbusters to eventually follow suit.