NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    I know this article is from Wednesday, thank you. I still think it's the most likely scenario at the moment - you would probably agree with me in that no other suggestions seem to be feasible.

You don't understand: the global situation has started to degrade again. A staggered release strategy is becoming more unlikely with each passing day.

You cannot do a staggered release if most foreign markets start closing again. If you want a staggered release to happen, it needs to happen now. Tenet's rumoured release of late August may very well prove too late. NTTD has no chance of releasing in November if Tenet can't even release internationally first.

If you want to keep this discussion going around in a circle because your refuse to understand the pandemic situation, find someone else to annoy. So I'll write it simply so you understand: A staggered release is impossible if both US box office and foreign markets are closed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Cinemas here in Ireland are opening on the 31st - the problem is that they now have nothing to show. Admittedly we are a tiny market in comparison with most others, but it is very strange to look at cinema listings and see nothing.

While a staggered release remains the most feasible in my head, the flipside to that thought is that it is merely the lesser of all the evils being presented, which doesn't make it any less evil. "Most feasible" is not the same as actually being feasible, unfortunately.

It's a pain in the ass, but that's how it is. If cases continue to rise again then it's an inevitability.
  • While a staggered release remains the most feasible in my head, the flipside to that thought is that it is merely the lesser of all the evils being presented, which doesn't make it any less evil. "Most feasible" is not the same as actually being feasible, unfortunately.

It's a pain in the ass, but that's how it is. If cases continue to rise again then it's an inevitability.
    I see what you mean as in it being the lesser of the evils being presented. My closest cinema (that's currently open) is only open from Friday to Sunday each week (mostly in the evening) and is showing a fairly limited selection of films. At least you understand where I'm coming from with this.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,438
    Dutch Boxoffice positieve grow:

The delayd Scooby movie who released second weak of July did $898,772 after two weaks. Not realy bad i think. Warner deside even to stick with a high cinema count of 125 and now 126.

A sign people get there intrest back if there is intresting movie for them or there children. If NTTD can just doing that money in one weak or mabey even 1,2.
    Cinemas here in Ireland are opening on the 31st - the problem is that they now have nothing to show. Admittedly we are a tiny market in comparison with most others, but it is very strange to look at cinema listings and see nothing.

While a staggered release remains the most feasible in my head, the flipside to that thought is that it is merely the lesser of all the evils being presented, which doesn't make it any less evil. "Most feasible" is not the same as actually being feasible, unfortunately.

They have been open for the last few weeks.In southwest region anyway.And they have been showing catalogue films like The Empire Strikes Back,Superman, and Joker.

AstonLotus wrote: »

They have been open for the last few weeks.In southwest region anyway.And they have been showing catalogue films like The Empire Strikes Back,Superman, and Joker.

Really? Lucky you! Still waiting where I am.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Really? Lucky you! Still waiting where I am.

One of the three cinemas near me has just opened - trouble is they're playing films that are readily available on Blu-ray/streaming - I have a decent projector/home cinema setup, not sure (with transport cost to the cinema) I can justify spending more to go there when it's a bit cheaper just to get the blu-ray.
    Word circulating online is that Tenet will announce a new release date today...I can't keep track of all it's moves. Would this be the 4th or 5th release date?

tenor.gif

I genuinely thought that we'd get a flurry of release date changes on Friday. This didn't materialise. I actually thought that Eon would pull the trigger and delay NTTD. Alas, that announcement didn't arrive.

I think @antovolk is right. Everyone is just waiting and watching to see what Tenet does. If it shifts a little towards September, then we may not see an upheaval to the calendar. However, if it moves a little further (say October or November) then all bets are off and we will see the film schedule thrown off.

I think VOD will only become a serious option once 2021 becomes unworkable. Otherwise, I think we are destined for a June 2021 release. Bond will take Jurassic World 3's date.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    That is the smallest Gif i have ever seen in my life.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Paramount is set to delay G.I Joe: Solid Snake to 2021.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hasbro-posts-quarterly-loss-as-pandemic-hits-eone-1304504

Paramount is about to become the first major studio to completely abandon 2020 releases. Clifford the Big Red Dog and Coming 2 America are the final 2 Paramount films still slated to release this year.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    @antovolk and the veterans in here:

Let's say NTTD comes out in November with a VIP premiere in London with the cast, Cary, Babs & Michael, crew members, Royal family and celebs/guests.

The next place would be the red carpet in USA with the cast, Cary, Babs and Michael, right? And Paris, Berlin, China, etc.

But my question is: Will they have a special red carpet/screening in Port Antonio, Norway, and Matera with the cast, Cary, Babs and Michael?
    Tenet to release in 70 international territories on August 26th.

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/tenet-release-date-international-movie-theaters-1234717187/
    So much for the released date of NTTD being pushed to 2021 being an absolute certainty...

This is good news!

This is good news!

Yep! I'll be there day one for this.

This is good news!

Yep! I'll be there day one for this.

I'm not even all that interested in Tenet but I think I might just take a punt on it anyway, just to be back in familiar surroundings again.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Let’s see what happens now. Someone must go first... and I’m glad is not Bond. Unfortunately I won’t be able to see Tenet in August since I’ll be on a trip but I’ll go in September without a doubt.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 824
    Clearly Christopher Nolan's one man battle to save cinemas won the day. Let's hope WB don't regret it. Infection rates are increasing in some countries. Universal/MGM need to make a decision about November before they can appraise Tenet's performance. Apart from Bond, Tenet is the one film I really want to see but am I prepared to risk attending a cinema.?
  • I'm not even all that interested in Tenet but I think I might just take a punt on it anyway, just to be back in familiar surroundings again.
    I feel the same way as you on this. I thought the first trailer looked reasonably interesting but wasn't fussed on seeing it and didn't really think about the film again until all the recent news. I actually haven't been to the cinema since Knives Out back in December so I might very well go to see this to see a brand new film at the cinema again. Brilliant news - fingers crossed for NTTD in November if this release goes well! 😁
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 3,164
    Contraband wrote: »

Let's say NTTD comes out in November with a VIP premiere in London with the cast, Cary, Babs & Michael, crew members, Royal family and celebs/guests.

The next place would be the red carpet in USA with the cast, Cary, Babs and Michael, right? And Paris, Berlin, China, etc.

But my question is: Will they have a special red carpet/screening in Port Antonio, Norway, and Matera with the cast, Cary, Babs and Michael?

London premiere with the cast at most, if the way the September festivals have been handling this are to go by. I don’t think much international travel will be on the cards now.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »

London premiere with the cast at most, if the way the September festivals have been handling this are to go by. I don’t think much international travel will be on the cards now.

I think premieres are off the cards in 2020. You might get a gala screening with just the cast purely for reasons of a photo op. But nothing like an Albert Hall premiere with the Queen. Not happening till a vaccine.

I'm curious about @antovolk take on the Venice Film Fesitval. More details here:

The line-up was revealed. As we can see, it's a far less glitzy event with mostly European titles and no Oscar bait in sight (aside maybe Nomadland).

Does this mean the Oscars are cancelled? I think a big reason why Eon would want to come out in the current cycle is to do right by the talent and ensure Oscar noms are on the table. Especially for Billie Eilish, Hans Zimmer, Linus Sandgren and (possibly) Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

With the Oscars looking less and less likely now, will a summer 2021 date just seem more feasible? It's gonna be a very interesting next couple of weeks.

Though I do think that Eon will 100% not take the Warner approach of releasing in select cities. Which leaves only a few blockbusters on the table for 2020 and they are all Warner films.

oscars-1-1550696185.png?crop=0.502xw:1.00xh;0.247xw,0&resize=480:*
    With the Oscars looking less and less likely now, will a summer 2021 date just seem more feasible?
    Imagine asking this question a day after Warner announces that TENET will be released 4 weeks from now in dozens of countries around the globe...
    The_Return wrote: »
    With the Oscars looking less and less likely now, will a summer 2021 date just seem more feasible?
    Imagine asking this question a day after Warner announces that TENET will be released 4 weeks from now in dozens of countries around the globe...

If Tenet cannot open in the US due to the pandemic, it won't be allowed to be nominated for any Oscars. Unless WB caves in and the US gets a VOD release while the rest of the world enjoys Tenet on the big screen.
  • MeetBondMeetBond Mar-a-lago
    There will likely never be another Oscars. Period. Ms Broccoli will have to give up on her dream.

I am a player on the fringes of the industry and there is scuttlebutt that theatres will go under - how many stores do you know that survive on zero product and zero customers - so we have all seem the last big screen Bond film in our lives, until reparatory theatres get up and running in 2025 or 2026 once Covid has had its way with us.

Any future Bond movies will be a) not made by Eon b) cheap as chips to produce c) straight to streaming.

NTTD will lose a tonne of money and take a lot of careers with it - chief among them Mr Fukunaga and Mr Wilson. Broccoli will escape alive despite being responsible for much of the misery and chaos at Eon.

If Tenet cannot open in the US due to the pandemic, it won't be allowed to be nominated for any Oscars. Unless WB caves in and the US gets a VOD release while the rest of the world enjoys Tenet on the big screen.

Tenet just needs ONE week in an L.A. theatre before the end of February to compete for the Oscars. That will be no problem.
    Warner owns some theatres in L.A.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

Tenet just needs ONE week in an L.A. theatre before the end of February to compete for the Oscars. That will be no problem.

And all California cinemas are closed due to being one of the worst-hit state in the country.

But luckily, the coronavirus will disappear like magic for just one week so Tenet can get a cinema run. Because Covid-19 is a big Nolan fan.

And all California cinemas are closed due to being one of the worst-hit state in the country.

But luckily, the coronavirus will disappear like magic for just one week so Tenet can get a cinema run. Because Covid-19 is a big Nolan fan.

worth noting that the eligibility period is until end of Feb...
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

And the eligibility rules for the Oscars state that it has to be running in cinemas, but not that a crowd of people should be able to see it in cinemas, right?
    So, in theory, WB can just screen the film in one of their theaters, with minimal attendance.
  • 'Is 2020 the end of the domestic box office as we know it?' from New York magazine:
    “Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures,” Dergarabedian says. “In real time, studios are showing that they can be nimble, adjusting by the number of [coronavirus] cases and availability and capacity of theaters country by country. So with a staggered release in this environment, they’re just doing what they have to do.”

Even as hundreds of U.S. theaters began closing throughout the spring and remained shuttered into 2020’s hottest months, Nolan — arguably cinema’s most strident proponent of the theatrical moviegoing experience — hoped to stick with Tenet’s original July 17 release date, in part to help prop up struggling North American theater chains that face further disruptions due the major studios’ decision to delay their biggest budget releases until late in the year or 2021. According to two insiders, the Oscar-nominated director only entered into conversations with top Warners execs about uncoupling the domestic and international rollouts of Tenet when it became clear American theaters would not reopen until summer’s end at the earliest. With the understanding that opening-weekend box-office numbers can no longer be relied upon as a reliable yardstick of a film’s overall commerciality, the new calculus they arrived at was simple: start making money abroad as soon as possible rather than wait — perhaps indefinitely — for American movie houses to resume business and American consumers to get over their jitters about sharing space with strangers in a darkened auditorium. ...

As Shawn Robbins, chief analyst for Boxoffice Pro, sees it, that’s a sound move at a time when around two-thirds of a film like Tenet’s grosses can be expected to come from overseas ticket sales and Hollywood has come to increasingly rely on foreign box-office tallies to prop up flagging domestic grosses. Even with the temptation of digital piracy — which costs the entertainment industry as much as $71 billion a year and can cost studios as much as a quarter of their theatrical revenues per film — and an abundance of spoilers expected to trickle online, he predicts that American fans of the notoriously secretive Nolan’s cerebral yet muscular filmmaking are likely to treat the movie’s arrival in theaters as a cultural event. That they will, for the most part, strenuously avoid online reveals of Tenet’s closely guarded plot and still shell out for admission.

“The industry has essentially been in complete shutdown for months and there’s growing demand both internationally and domestically for a new movie. Tenet in particular has gotten a lot of publicity as being a kind of poster child as the first big [post-lockdown] release,” Robbins says. “Spoilers and piracy come with the territory on any movie, even under normal circumstances. Especially now, fans don’t want to read spoilers. They want to go and see movies for themselves.”

And the eligibility rules for the Oscars state that it has to be running in cinemas, but not that a crowd of people should be able to see it in cinemas, right?
    So, in theory, WB can just screen the film in one of their theaters, with minimal attendance.

Not just one theatre. There's a minimum number of screens required too, isn't there?