Any non-Bond film.....Comments while you watch...

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Watching RONIN x Bob DeNiro is immense in this film (as he always is to be fair) and Sean Bean being a mercenary who pretends to be from the SAS is brilliant .
    Add Michael Lonsdale and Jonathan Price and you have 3 Bond villains in one film - Drax,Trevelyn & Carver .
    Oh and a note to EON - watch this film again for inspiration re car chases !!!!

I always felt that this movie with a minimal amount of tweaks could have been a brilliant 007 movie. starring Tim Dalton as the lead.

As a Bond film you are spot on , it’s a brilliant production all the way through, but I think Craig would have beaten Dalton to this, he has the raw determination that the great De Niro has .

For me Dalton is a more Bondian personality and Craig can pass more for an American what the Niro character was. With each 007 movie I am less in awe with Craig, while I do enjoy Dalton who even did very well in some of the villainous roles like Time lord of Nazi in the Rocketeer.
    Watching RONIN x Bob DeNiro is immense in this film (as he always is to be fair) and Sean Bean being a mercenary who pretends to be from the SAS is brilliant .
    Add Michael Lonsdale and Jonathan Price and you have 3 Bond villains in one film - Drax,Trevelyn & Carver .

I always felt that this movie with a minimal amount of tweaks could have been a brilliant 007 movie. starring Tim Dalton as the lead.

As a Bond film you are spot on , it’s a brilliant production all the way through, but I think Craig would have beaten Dalton to this, he has the raw determination that the great De Niro has .

For me Dalton is a more Bondian personality and Craig can pass more for an American what the Niro character was. With each 007 movie I am less in awe with Craig, while I do enjoy Dalton who even did very well in some of the villainous roles like Time lord of Nazi in the Rocketeer.

True .
    The annoying thing is we didn’t really get Dalton in any major fight or shooting scenes to compare him to De Niro’s character.
    And Craig has had a good few car chases which Ronin excelled at .
    Tough choice - maybe we should clone them together haha !!

True .
    The annoying thing is we didn’t really get Dalton in any major fight or shooting scenes to compare him to De Niro’s character.

I must have missed the Craig car-chases then because the Rome chase felt more a car demonstration put on by the gents from Top gear than an actual carchase. Even the Brosnan era has more succesfull car-chases. I find Craig more the footchase person in the franchise.

True .

I must have missed the Craig car-chases then because the Rome chase felt more a car demonstration put on by the gents from Top gear than an actual carchase. Even the Brosnan era has more succesfull car-chases. I find Craig more the footchase person in the franchise.

Haha love the top gear reference,but you can’t say the QOS chase wasn’t good .

I’ve seen the car up close first hand and it’s still beautiful but bashed to shot and riddled wz bullet holes .
    I have 6 photos but can’t down them onto here ,I’ve tried and tried !
    The car-chase in QoS was edited to death and lacks anything coherent, it would have benefited a bit more by a less frantic approach in editing. I am sorry to say that any car chase in the Craig era is just not great with poor editing of Top Gear-esque showing of two beautiful cars instead of a real chase.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The car-chase in QoS was edited to death and lacks anything coherent, it would have benefited a bit more by a less frantic approach in editing. I am sorry to say that any car chase in the Craig era is just not great with poor editing of Top Gear-esque showing of two beautiful cars instead of a real chase.

The SP car chase turned that around.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Well that’s your opinion, end of @SaintMark
    Well that’s your opinion, end of.

I have yet to see any Craig films in my current bondathon, so nothing is end of yet.

I have yet to see any Craig films in my current bondathon, so nothing is end of yet.

I didn’t mean you Thundy, I’ve added to my post above,sorry old chap.

I figured as much after I posted. No problem. But still looking forward to seeing if anything changes for me.

I figured as much after I posted. No problem. But still looking forward to seeing if anything changes for me.

Let me know,your opinion will be interesting as always,the Craig films divide everyone!
    Bringing this thread back to the forefront with a viewing of

THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)

Today is indeed Peter Cushing's birthday, tomorrow is Sir Christopher Lee's.
    I've been celebrating their birthdays since I was a little kid.

The Baron (Cushing) is rotting in prison awaiting the guillotine and about to recap his life story to the local priest (Alex Gallier).

Photos of Lee's Creature abounded the many monster film books at my elementary school's library. Always loved the unique make-up job Phil Leakey gave Lee.

This was one Frankenstein film I really wanted to see, so I'd scour the latest issue of TV Guide every week. One Monday night my Dad brought the latest issue home and I immediately looked at Saturday and Friday night. Lo and behold it was scheduled to air next Friday night at 11pm. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in second grade. We had an old school 1980's color TV with the knobs. Probably a Zenith or RCA. Pretty much looked like the TV Beavis and Butthead used to watch. Antenna on top and everything.

It was on our local station 13, which played mostly older movies and TV shows. Today that station only plays crap.

The Baron has hired a tutor Paul (Robert Uquart) to educate him. They resurrect a dog, rob a gallows and begin building a new being.

Paul thinks this idea sucks.
    Meanwhile, the Baron's fiancee (Hazel Court) has arrived to move in to the castle.

Great stuff here. Cushing is amazing.
    The Baron has killed a renown professor to use his brain.
    Paul comes in and a fight ensues thus damaging the brain.

Of the 6 Frankenstein films Cushing did, this one remains my favorite, though FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN is a close second. I'll take even the weakest Hammer films over the Branagh/ DeNiro version any day.

Well that’s your opinion, end of @SaintMark

Of course why would I give you somebody elses opinion. The Craig era has in my opinion have a few good action scenes, but mo really motorized chase in cars or motorcycles that I really would rate. And of course always my opinion.
    SUDDEN IMPACT (1983)

Probably my favorite Dirty Harry film after the first one.

Court scene. Bad guys get off free. Clint has some choice words in the elevator. Great scene.

Followed by another iconic restaurant scene.

Clint is my main man.
    Maybe his aaaaaaaaaaaaaass is in a ringer?
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 15,801
    Nobody, I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot-dog!
    On The Arsenio Hall Show back in 1991 while promoting THE ROCKETEER, Timothy Dalton revealed he is a huge Eastwood fan. Sometimes I think maybe he channeled Dirty Harry a bit in his Bond performance (along with Fleming of course). His squinting eyes, scowl, and abrupt line delivery.
    Eastwood's hair in this film is a similar length to Dalton's in LTK. Covers the tops of the ears, fuller sideburns, and thicker in the back. In addition, by the time Clint did this film his hair was a bit thin on top, however, attention isn't exactly drawn to it, and it's styled pretty cool regardless. I think Tim could have pulled off Clint's look here in LICENCE as opposed to the infamous Dracula slick back.
    The legendary Albert Popwell!!!! Always great to see him in a Harry film, this time playing Clint's buddy.
    Clint leaves the city to chill out in a small town and immediately gets into some action. Great stuff!
    I love the Dirty Harry films, but really need to add the three Sergio Leone westerns to my collection. I haven't seen FISTFUL OF DOLLARS in years.

The villains in this Harry film are pretty low life sleaze. Excellent work here in casting and performances. Clint directed this one.
    Parts of this remind me of I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE.

Clint goes into the local bar and is hit on by Audrie Neenan.

"He lost his balls. He got killed."

Then everyone laughs. Reminds me of Tim getting laughed at by Kamran Shah's buddies.
    Clint has some cool casual attire here. I dig that brown leather jacket.
    Is this in honour of his birthday?

When I saw one of the Dollars films with my son when he was a kid, I remember him asking when Clint showed up: "Is that Wolverine?"
    Is this in honour of his birthday?

When I saw one of the Dollars films with my son when he was a kid, I remember him asking when Clint showed up: "Is that Wolverine?"

LOL! Yeah I'll probably watch another Clint film later for his birthday.
    I got so enthralled by this one I didn't comment as much. Great entry IMO.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    SUDDEN IMPACT (1983)

Not mine (curiously --even to me-- it's The Dead Pool), but I appreciate its grit. Grittiest film in the series apart from the original.

Eastwood's hair in this film is a similar length to Dalton's in LTK. Covers the tops of the ears, fuller sideburns, and thicker in the back. In addition, by the time Clint did this film his hair was a bit thin on top, however, attention isn't exactly drawn to it, and it's styled pretty cool regardless. I think Tim could have pulled off Clint's look here in LICENCE as opposed to the infamous Dracula slick back.
    Good call with the similar haircuts.

Clint's haircut changed around the time of Sudden Impact. Shorter at the top. I wonder what he would've looked like had he kept his look from the original Dirty Harry. Really long hair in that film. Can't imagine it being too comfortable in the summer.

Clint leaves the city to chill out in a small town and immediately gets into some action. Great stuff!
    I love that footchase. Shot with energy but breezily edited. Great music, too. And the bus chase, haha!

The villains in this Harry film are pretty low life sleaze. Excellent work here in casting and performances.
    Paul Drake and Audrie Neenan are the worst. I remember her as the police photographer trying to get Gene Wilder's mugshot in See No Evil, Hear No Evil. I believe she also played a hotel maid in that same film.

I love how he spends more time in casual clothes in this film.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited May 2019 Posts: 6,718
    The scene in which the bad guys beat up Harry before he falls off the pier is pretty intense as well. Not like the usual scenes in films in which the villains take turns in attacking the hero. Here they all attack him at once, and they don't give him a break. Just relentless violence.

The automag looks great.

I'm glad Lalo Schifrin came back for this film. I love the main title music. Jerry Fielding took his score for The Enforcer in another direction.

(Sorry, I believe I'm hijacking your watch of the film!)
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The scene in which the bad guys beat up Harry before he falls off the pier is pretty intense as well. Not like the usual scenes in films in which the villains take turns in attacking the hero. Here they all attack him at once, and they don't give him a break. Just relentless violence.

The automag looks great.

I'm glad Lalo Schifrin came back for this film. I love the main title music. Jerry Fielding took his score for The Enforcer in another direction.

(Sorry, I believe I'm hijacking your watch of the film!)

Harry getting pounded is pretty intense. Also the lead up to his entrance during the big climax is also disturbingly violent as Locke gets knocked around quite a bit. I imagine audiences cheered at Eastwood's appearance during that scene.

Schifrin was great. I do like THE ENFORCER score as well, though. That film itself feels a bit different to the other Harry's, IMO.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    SUDDEN IMPACT (1983)

Not mine (curiously --even to me-- it's The Dead Pool), but I appreciate its grit. Grittiest film in the series apart from the original.

Good call with the similar haircuts.

Clint's haircut changed around the time of Sudden Impact. Shorter at the top. I wonder what he would've looked like had he kept his look from the original Dirty Harry. Really long hair in that film. Can't imagine it being too comfortable in the summer.

I love that footchase. Shot with energy but breezily edited. Great music, too. And the bus chase, haha!

The villains in this Harry film are pretty low life sleaze. Excellent work here in casting and performances.
    Paul Drake and Audrie Neenan are the worst. I remember her as the police photographer trying to get Gene Wilder's mugshot in See No Evil, Hear No Evil. I believe she also played a hotel maid in that same film.

I love how he spends more time in casual clothes in this film.

I just read that Paul Drake was born in 1962, making him about 21 when SUDDEN IMPACT was filmed. He looks at least 15 years older with that hairline. Audrie Neenan looked years older than her actual age in the film also, I thought. Both performances make for a very disturbing Dirty Harry film. I love it for that reason.

For years, though, it's darkness and grit made it my least favorite film in the series. Perhaps it's nostalgia for that period in film history when things weren't so watered down and a film could get violent and gritty. These days I love it.

In addition the overall look is very dark, almost grainy in shots. The flesh tones are fairly saturated. I've gotten so used to movies being digitally remastered on Blu-ray to clarity and perfection I miss the days when movies looked like film. Occasional scratches and all.

Great viewing of SUDDEN IMPACT, though I wish I had a more expansive Eastwood collection. I'll have to remedy that.
    In honor of Morgan Freeman's birthday I'm now watching

SE7EN (1995)

Probably won't comment too much as this is one film I tend to get riveted by.
    Saw this in cinemas when it was released and to be honest, didn't think too much of it at the time. I thought it was just another thriller.

Today I see it as a film noir, though set in contemporary times, well 1995 contemporary. Still, the lighting, clothing, sets and locations evoke a classic noir period .

I love Morgan Freeman's fedora and trenchcoat.

Brad and Morgan are driving in the rain. This is pretty early on.

The Blu-ray looks stunning.
    Richard Roundtree! YAY!!!

Great casting in this film.