Any non-Bond film.....Comments while you watch...

Comments

The Baron (the great PETER CUSHING) looks worn out and unshaven. He's about to plead his case to a priest who may be able to prevent him from being executed.
    Very different from Universal's Frankenstein series in that this franchise focuses on The Baron.

Flashback!

The kid playing the young Baron (MELVYN HAYES) is perfectly cast and a dead ringer for Cushiing.
    Robert Urquart plays Paul- the Baron's tutor soon to become his assistant.
    Suave, debonair and dashing, he differs greatly from Fritz in the 1931 version.
    He reminds me a bit of Tim Holt.
    Easily my favorite of the Hammer Frankensteins with FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN (1967), a close second.
    The Baron and Paul have revived a dead puppy, and Frankenstein proposes they rob a gallows to begin an experiment to build a human from dead corpses and resurrect him.

Paul thinks this is about as good an idea as I do of making Blofeld Bond's childhood foster brother.
    Peter Cushing's performance here is superb. He pretty much has me convinced. Count me in!
    Here's another difference. In this version, Frankenstein climbs the gallows himself with a ladder. In the 1931 version, he makes Fritz climb up the pole like Spiderman.
    Quick shot of the decomposed half eaten face.

The baron removes it with a scalpel. ...........and drops it into a HUGE tub of acid.
    Paul is disgusted.
    This film, along with FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED (1970) give the Baron a more evil persona.
    Valerie Gaunt plays Justine, the Baron's maid and mistress. She could have been a Bond girl, IMO.

Hazel Court arrives as Elizabeth, Frankenstein's fiancee (and cousin).
    The Baron looks a bit like Sherlock Holmes in his inverness cape/coat.

Cushing made an excellent Holmes a coupe years later.
    The Baron arrives with a pair of severed hands. The scene is cleverly cut away fast enough so the audience doesn't get to examine the bloodied prop hands too closely.
    Looks more shocking this way.
    Paul is pleading for The Baron to give up this experiment.

Peter Cushing keeps his cool and tells him off.
    I love the sets on these films. Same with the costumes.
    Victor Frankenstein and Justine make out in a dark corridor. This idea was elaborated on to the extreme in Hammer's humorous remake THE HORROR OF FRANKENSTEIN (1970) with Ralph Bates.
    Justine is jealous of Elizabeth.

Cushing is about 43 here.
    Now he's purchasing a pair of eyeballs.
    Too bad they're a different size and different colors.
    Close up of Cushing examining the eye with a magnifying glass. Spoofed later in TOP SECRET.
    Frankenstein and Paul's friendship is on the outs.

All Victor needs is a brain for his creature. Instead of sending Paul out for an abbie -normal brain he murders a professor of science.
    Paul attempts to stop Frankenstein from removing the professor's brain and smashes it against the wall in the struggle. The Baron is pi$$ed.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 15,825
    Now Paul attempts to convince Elizabeth to leave before she gets hurt.
    Meanwhile Victor carries on performing a little surgery on the brain and removing some broken glass.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 15,825
    .................and the Creature is revived and begins strangling the Baron.

Hammer didn't have the rights to use Universal's iconic look so CHRISTOPHER LEE has a stitched up decaying gray/white face. Kind of looks like a Beatles hairstyle as well.
    The Creature meets a blind man in the woods and instead of befriending him he kills him.
    Lee looks intense. The make-up essentially looks like putty and greasepaint.
    Paul shoots Lee in the face with a hunting rifle..............and the Creature is dead temporarily.
    These very early Hammer horrors had a confined feeling about them. Shot in fairly tight angles. By the '60's the films would open up a bit and some shot in scope.
    Justine blackmails the Baron to agree to marry her.

The Baron instead traps her in the laboratory with the now revived Creature. From here on Lee has a section of his head shaved.
    I first saw this late one Friday night when I was in second grade. I had a tradition of scouring TV GUIDE for monster movies and this was on my favorite local station. I believe I saw it about 4 times on that station. They would also air many of the Universal monster films along with some other Hammer's.