Any non-Bond film.....Comments while you watch...

Comments

Here he examines his work and the bodies. Steals some information to assume a passenger's identity.
    Dracula can walk around during the day in this film.
    Billy The Kid (CHUCK COURTNEY) is the foreman at his girlfriend's ranch and Kurt Russel's dad Bing is the town bully.
    Melinda Plowman plays Billy's 18 year old girlfriend and soon the object of Dracula's desire.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 15,825
    Dracula arrives at a saloon run by character actor Richard Reeves and is plotting to take over the ranch in an assumed identity. This mirrors the rather excellent B film- RETURN OF DRACULA (1958).
    John Carradine as the Count wears a long black frock coat, red ascot, top hat and red lined cape. He also has a goatee.
    Billy confronts Bing Russell and has a little fight.
    This really is a western that features Dracula. Considered one of the worst, I love it!
    The DVD is astonishingly crappy. Awful transfer, which I absolutely love.

I should track down the VHS release form the '80's. I'd almost bet it's a better print.
    John Carradine was nearing 60 when he did this. Playing Dracula for the first time in more than 20 years.

Unlike his earlier Universal portrayals, he is lacking the gray hair. Here's it's dark.
    He also looks a bit feeble. Heavy bags under the eyes.

He played an even older Dracula in NOCTURNA more than a decade later in 1979. That film one has to see to believe it.
    Dracula has just attacked the daughter of a traveling family.

Four marks on the throat as opposed to just two.

This implies the Count has both upper and lower fangs.

Carradine didn't actually wear fangs either here or in his Universal films.
    Dracula is consoling Melinda Plowman who's mother was killed in the carriage attack.
    Lots of character actors here: Bing Russell, Richard Reeves, Virginia Christine, Roy Barcroft, Olive Carey, etc
    Chuck Courtney appeared on THE LONE RANGER and some other westerns. He had a small role in PET SEMETARY.
    I recorded this off of a local station back on July 4th, 1986. That station also played JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER, and SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS that evening. After the fireworks, I stayed up until 6am watching all three films.

This DVD looks just like that TV version.
    That began a tradition for me as a kid to stay up until dawn watching horror movies.
    Garlic has been placed on the windows to prevent Dracula from entering Melinda's bedroom.
    Bing Russell confronts Billy and a fight ensues.........................

Billy the Kid gets his ass kicked.

It's kind of funny.
    Then Bing kicks Billy's hat.

Hilarious scene.
    Olive Carey is the town doctor or this film's equivalent to Van Helsing.
    Dracula confronts Virginia Christine.

HOW DARE YOU INTERFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!
    YOU CLUMSY IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Carradine hams it up.

He really didn't care for this film and considered it his worst.
    Dracula and niece go to an abandoned mine. Dracula will make that his domain.

He looks a bit awkward climbing up the hill to the entrance. Christopher Lee would use his cloak and glide up there. Carradine doesn't give a crap at this point.
    Melinda Plowman as a child appeared in 2 Marilyn Monroe flicks: HOMETOWN STORY and MONKEY BUSINESS.
    She also appeared on OZZIE AND HARRIET.

Dracula is sitting at the diner table enjoying a meal until he is interrupted by Bing Russell.

Why is Dracula eating regular food? I suppose it better helps his cover.

Or maybe Carradine didn't care to correct the script writer the way Christopher Lee would have.
    The style and cut of his cape is very close to what he wore in the Universal films, except this one has a bright red lining. I believe the satin lining he wore in the earlier films was black.
    Richard Reeves was in several ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN episodes usually playing a heavy.
    This was directed by William Beaudine, who had directed several Bela Lugosi films.
    William "one shot" Beaudine.