Any non-Bond film.....Comments while you watch...

Comments

The TV airing had Maud Adams and Tanya Roberts appear in commercial breaks bringing Bond trivia for us. It was nothing a fan hadn't heard before, but still made for a fun viewing experience. I taped it that night.

When I moved...................................

....................that RARE copy of GOLDENEYE was lost forever. Not even Youtube has that Lazenby footage as far as I know.

Life can be trying.
    Dead body discovered in NY. Fleming stakes out his target who is hanging out in a sleazy looking cheap film noir hotel room.

Reminds me of FAREWELL MY LOVELY.
    An 007 in joke that's so obvious it's cheesy.

The room is number 1007 and the 1 has come loose.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 15,870
    Fleming has his target at bay and is egged on to kill him...........................he wusses out.
    Some fancy slow-motion kung fu sh*t as Fleming's boos shoots at the intended victim.
    The target was on Ian's side, so it turns out he made the right choice after all.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 15,870
    Fleming meets Lucky Luciano in jail for information.
    I've only seen this and the Jason Connery film, so I believe I've missed out on a couple other Fleming bio-pics.
    A young girl has been assigned to bring Ian back from his assignment AKA seduce him a'la Tatiana. She kind of looks like a Tatiana wanna be.
    Why it's Christoph Waltz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little would he know in 25 years he'd be playing Blofeld.
    They are in black tie and Waltz looks pretty suave.

Maybe I should watch SPECTRE again and give him another chance?

Waltz here is playing an a-hole.
    To his credit, Christoph Waltz here has the correct haircut and style for the period.

Charles Dance reminds me a bit of Peter Cushing in this film.
    I do like the period settings here. Also in SPYMAKER THE SECRET LIFE OF IAN FLEMING do the clothes and cars look good. Kind of wish I had that film now I could make this a double feature.
    Fleming makes out with the dispatcher girl. This scene is reasonably Bondian. For a television film of the late '80's I do think it has the right atmosphere. I actually like the music as well.

Now we see him in naval attire.

This film makes me feel like a period Bond could have potential. I do think eventually it may be inevitable if the gaps between films become even longer than they are today.

The world is moving further and further away from Ian's era. The more time passes, Bond will become a period of his time as Sherlock Holmes is for the Victorian era. Dracula as well. Characters like Philip Marlowe, IMO belong in the 1940's when Raymond Chandler wrote those stories.

Fleming here officially names his character. Nice copy of BIRDS OF THE WEST INDIES.
    Fleming underwater doing some Bondian spying on a sunken ship a'la FYEO.
    I do think the Jason Connery film is faster paced than this, It also had Kristin Scott Thomas and Fiona Fullerton.
    Just to think when GOLDENEYE: THE SECRET LIFE OF IAN FLEMING aired that summer of 1990, I was thinking any day now we'd a title announcement and start date for BOND 17. The third Timothy Dalton Bond was only a year away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well.
    That six year gap really sucked.

But it was fun to see this film and the other Fleming pic in the meantime.
    Also the TBS station in the States had begun a new tradition of airing Bond marathons using the same transfers as the recent MGM/UA Home Video editions.

It was kind of fun watching the Bonds on TBS back around the time of this film. What a great cable station that was back then: tons of Clint Eastwood films, Charles Bronson films, all looking wonderfully grainy.

Sometimes if I'm on a nostalgia kick for a specific cable station or local station from my childhood, I'll find an old VHS copy of a movie that would have aired on that station and watch it that way.
    For instance, the CBS/Fox versions of the Bonds looked closer to the ABC Sunday Night Movie airings. The "Connery Classics" VHS tapes looked closer to the TBS versions.

It's a pity this VHS tape of GOLDENEYE THE SECRET LIFE OF IAN FLEMING isn't the same as the version that originally aired.
    The cutie motorcycle dispatcher (Lynsey Baxter) gets blown up here. The lighting is similar to the warehouse exploding in FYEO.

Fleming is hanging out in the cinema watching a newsreel discussing the end of the war.

Now GOLDENEYE is being constructed. Ian's ready to begin his new career as a novelist.
    I wonder if Jamaica now is as beautiful as it was in Ian's time?
    Time for a swim. Why don't we go snorkeling?

Sounds a wonderful idea.
    Now he's sitting around drinking coffee, eating scrambled eggs.
    Pretty much every time I get breakfast in a restaurant I always order my eggs scrambled.

If it weren't for Bond I probably wouldn't do that every time.
    Fleming has just named the title of his first book.
    So does GOLDENEYE not have glass windows?

What did Ian do when it rained?
    The music here sounds like what Drax plays on the piano in MR.