Black In Bond - Have black actors had a fair crack of the whip in Bond movies?

2»

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,830
    royale65 wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    Hang on "Crack of the Whip". Is that a slave reference? Hmm.

Hopefully a horse racing reference. If not then...oops!

Ah, you were channeling your inner Zorin, hey? Good show! (We'll back you up if anyone says otherwise)

As long as it's a gold whip, I'm all in! :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Ah, you were channeling your inner Zorin, hey? Good show! (We'll back you up if anyone says otherwise)

As long as it's a good whip, I'm all in! :)

Too. Much. Information.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    This thread can only go poorly....
    Kinky......
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I have gone on record as saying that I would have liked to see Quarrel (as played by a non-aging, non-dying John Kitzmiller) in every single Bond film.

And that bug-eyed dancer on speed.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I have gone on record as saying that I would have liked to see Quarrel (as played by a non-aging, non-dying John Kitzmiller) in every single Bond film.

Like Glen's pigeon that could've been Terence Young's in joke.
    Bond opens a train carriage in FRWL and he's in there, dancing away, eyes swivelling.

In Thunderball Bond pulls the shower curtain back and there he is, stark naked, holding a loofer and dancing away.
    Would ve been incredible. He should ve been on the dancefloor in NSNA as well, while Bond and Domino tango.

Bond opens a train carriage in FRWL and he's in there, dancing away, eyes swivelling.

In Thunderball Bond pulls the shower curtain back and there he is, stark naked, holding a loofer and dancing away.

CraigBond shoots down Blofeld's helicopter and,when Bond opens the door,he is there ,swinging a white cat and dancing away,eyes swivelling.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I would have like to have seen him in every Bond a la MGW's cameos.

In A view to a Kill where Zorin is mowing down all the mine workers, he's there dancing violently, completely nonplussed about the carnage surrounding him.

As long as it's a good whip, I'm all in! :)

Too. Much. Information.

I actually meant to type 'gold' as I bought a book called The Gold Whip at the weekend. Please believe me!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Damn, what a missed opportunity.

Bond enters the shower to surprise Severine in SF, only to find him nude, dancing uncontrollably as Bond slowly walks out of frame and hurriedly dives off the side of her boat.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Vesper’s death scene. Bond cries over her lifeless body. In the background, he emerges from the water and begins dancing on the rubble.
    Oh my! What have I started?
    :))
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I think we all get the 'mental guy dancing crazily from DN popping up at random places in Bond history' gag by now don't we?
    edited June 2019 Posts: 17,830
    I think we all get the 'mental guy dancing crazily from DN popping up at random places in Bond history' gag by now don't we?

Oh, so that's what they're on about!
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339

The Wiz is online whingeing about the dancing man ,when,from behind,IS the dancing man,dancing crazily,eyes popping,and repeatedly hitting The Wiz over the head with a wet fish.

edited March 2018 Posts: 17,830
    He's like the Spanish Inquisition! He comes when you least expect it!
    barryt007 wrote: »

The Wiz is online whingeing about the dancing man ,when,from behind,IS the dancing man,dancing crazily,eyes popping,and repeatedly hitting The Wiz over the head with a wet fish.

And if anyone knows about flogging a dead horse..

See the Religion Thread.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 9,117

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_van_der_Zyl
    Nikki is still very much alive and well. I've even got an email from her somewhere inviting me to meet when, at the height of Nikkigate, she was quoting me all over her website an I emailed her to get the whole story. I never went of course as even I am not that obsessed.

See the Religion Thread.
    It's religion that's a dying horse old son. You lot will keep trying to flog it but it's only got a few more furlongs to stumble on before it finally, thankfully, expires.

Nikki is still very much alive and well. I've even got an email from her somewhere inviting me to meet when, at the height of Nikkigate, she was quoting me all over her website an I emailed her to get the whole story. I never went of course as even I am not that obsessed.

See the Religion Thread.
    It's religion that's a dying horse old son. You lot will keep trying to flog it but it's only got a few more furlongs to stumble on before it finally, thankfully, expires.

It won't be in your lifetime or mine old son. If it survived Darwin it can survive anything.

See the Religion Thread.

It won't be in your lifetime or mine old son.
    Alas not. But that will be scant consolation when you are rotting alone in your grave thinking 'Talking snakes? What was I thinking? It all seems so obvious now.'

• M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 538
    Some older Bond films were very sexist, but the franchise has been fine on race overall. Even during times when it was normal to be racist, the Bond films were more respectful on race than average. The 60's and 70's were rife with segregation, apartheid, police brutality, hosings, absence of voting rights. The older Bond films had occasional moments which were condescending, but very little (if any) nastiness, abuse and hatred.

If "Quarrel, fetch my shoes" was the among the worst we've seen in a Bond film, then the Bond franchise was better on race than most older films.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    If "Quarrel, fetch my shoes" was the among the worst we've seen in a Bond film, then the Bond franchise was better on race than most older films.
    Agreed. Though in today's context, the remark would probably pass as racist indeed. But on the whole, the franchise has developed positively, which should be taken into account. It is rather easy - and at the same time self-serving, hackneyed and condescending - to expect from people sixty years ago the insights and enlightenments that have only been identified since.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    Yes, definitely. But even in modern media, there are subtle things like that which 1% of people on Twitter scream is an absolute abomination and the other 99% of people don't notice or care at all.

I like that EON respected their craft enough to avoid any absolutely horrible or tasteless things during an era when half of filmgoers were horribly racist.
    Except for LALD and DN, how many black characters were there in the Fleming books?
    There was one in DAF, at the spa where Bond tries the mud baths.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Here are some.

Diamonds Are Forever:
    a woman with a withered arm at the mud bath;
    the unnamed mud bath attendant.

"For Your Eyes Only":
    Agatha, the Havelocks' housekeeper.

"Quantum of Solace":
    the Governor's butler;
    Philip Masters' posting to Nigeria has with it general descriptions of the folks there.

You Only Live Twice:
    unnamed barman with Dikko Henderson off the Ginza.

The Man with the Golden Gun:
    Scaramanga's unnamed attendant;
    Kong Tiger, the guitarist Scaramanga harasses;
    Tiffy the barmaid with the kling-klings.

Excellent work.