Black In Bond - Have black actors had a fair crack of the whip in Bond movies?

NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
in Bond Movies Posts: 7,570
Well it all started ok with John Kitzmiller as Quarrel in Dr No. But this film was set on a Caribbean island and if made today there would most certainly have been more suitable parts for black actors.

And as the 60s unwound it proved for a fact that there really wasn't much of a place for black characters in Bond. Outside of Earl Cameron who made zero impact in Thunderball, and the banana eating Jamaican girl in OHMSS did we see any?

LALD bucked the trend somewhat, but I have always thought that despite plenty of room for black characters in Bond, they have been generally ignored.

Recently the likes of Jinx, Robinson and the new Moneypenny haven't improved the situation, they simply highlight the lack of parts for black actors.

Up to date with Spectre, in a cast of 40 or so there were two black actors - Naomi Harris and Marc Zinga who had one scene (and for all that he was excellent).

Does anyone agree, or am I just trying to think of a discussion thread that we haven't had before? ;)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    In my humble view, yes they have. MP & Felix are important roles in the Bond franchise, and they have been recast as black, after having been played by white actors since inception.

That's quite a change as far as I'm concerned, and at least in the case of Harris, I think of it more as a form of affirmative action because I haven't been impressed in the slightest by her interpretation of the role. What I'm saying is that I believe there are far more suitable actresses for the part of MP (even from within the Craig films - Arterton for instance).

I can appreciate the lack of diversity in the 60s, given the times. We definitely saw more inclusivity in the 70s (LALD as you noted. Heck, nearly the entire cast apart from Bond, Solitaire and the regulars was black!). The first female henchwoman since #11 was black in the 80s (Grace Jones' Mayday) and it was a memorable part. .

So no, I think black characters have been reasonable well represented for this franchise over the years. Perhaps the more appropriate question is whether we have had enough representation of other ethnic groups who reside in Britain in the Bond franchise. On that, I would say more improvement is most certainly required.
    And there was Irvin Allen as Che Che in that great hotel fight with LazenbyBond.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    And there was Irvin Allen as Che Che in that great hotel fight with LazenbyBond.

Yes of course. I forgot him. And as I posted this without too much research I even forgot Geoffrey Wright!

So it seems in order to redress some kind of balance, they have re-cast classic Fleming characters with black actors (Leiter, Moneypenny) rather than casting more one off characters with black actors.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    NicNac wrote: »
    So it seems in order to redress some kind of balance, they have re-cast classic Fleming characters with black actors (Leiter, Moneypenny) rather than casting more one off characters with black actors.
    There is always the big kahuna still left. The gorilla in the room. Heaven forbid.

I think the way they did it in the Brosnan era and prior was better actually. Create new memorable characters (even if they are non-recurring) rather than mess with the originals. That way it looks less like one is trying to make some sort of political statement. Rather, it just is more reflective of the makeup of society.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2018 Posts: 4,442
    I think QOS and Spectre some culture back. Moost credit i wil give to the Roger Moore era.

L'American have atleast mix of English, French, Maroc, American and Dutch elements.
    Not forgetting Thumper in DAF, who could be considered the first black villainess well more than a decade before May Day. Blofeld also had a black guard on the rig on DAF; although it's not a significant part, I can't recall any of his forces having one prior to this film.

LTK had Leiter's co-workers Sharkey and Hawkins, who were significant to the first part of the story.

And the first black Leiter was Bernie Casey way back in NSNA in '83.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Not forgetting Thumper in DAF, who could be considered the first black villainess well more than a decade before May Day. Blofeld also had a black guard on the rig on DAF; although it's not a significant part, I can't recall any of his forces having one prior to this film.

LTK had Leiter's co-workers Sharkey and Hawkins, who were significant to the first part of the story.

Unofficially of course,the first official black Leiter is Wright. ;)

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Arguably enough, both Berney Casey and Jeffrey Wright are better Felix Leiter's than anyone else other than Jack Lord (who's always the very best).
    But of course.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    An excellent point which is often missed. Apparently Connery and Co. thought that Leiter would be more memorable if they cast a black actor in a role which was often forgotten up to that point.

They were also the first to acknowledge Bond's age, the relevance of the OO program and an M switchover. As we know the official series has taken that to new levels recently. The much lambasted NSNA was very much a film ahead.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2018 Posts: 9,117
    I'm sorry but isn't this just another case of indulging the modern obsession to try and seek out potential offence where there isn't any?

The first film of the series has a black man as Bond's ally (and he's one of the best allies I might add) and the reason for that is because the film is set in Jamaica.

In the next film he has a Turkish ally because? Yep that's right the film is set in Turkey.

So then we have another black ally in the Bahamas, a Japanese fella in Japan, a black bloke in Harlem and San Monique, a Thai in Thailand, an Italian in Italy, an Indian in India and on and on.

In fact at the risk of being hounded into an early grave by the Twitter police for being a Nazi aren't black people actually over represented? We have never had an Indian or Pakistani - not going to say Asian as I'm always bemused, given how race is the be all and end all to some people, how Indians, Chinese, Japanese, Thais etc can all be lumped together as 'Asian' - Bond girl (unless you count that bird who has her tits zoomed in on by Rog in OP?) in the entire series. We have had Robinson and now Moneypenny with plum jobs inside MI6 but never someone from the Indian subcontinent despite people from Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi backgrounds outnumbering black people in this country.

At the end of the day Bond films are set largely in Europe not Africa so you're mostly only going to get your diversity boxes ticked when he visits the Carribbean or liaises with UK or US staff.

When he goes to Istanbul, Switzerland, Venice, Bratislava, St Petersburg, Montenegro or Austria he's obviously not going to interact with black people as much as he is if he stayed in multiethnic London or Jamaica.
    bondjames wrote: »
    There is always the big kahuna still left. The gorilla in the room. Heaven forbid.
    Cripes!! Surely the expression is 'elephant in the room'?

H&M got into a lot of hot water for less.

Indeed it is. Mea culpa. Not a Freudian slip I can assure you and not intended to cause unwanted controversy. I've already been chewed out on the Production thread this morning and so am attempting to be on my best behaviour for the rest of the day. 800lb Gorilla was going through my mind when I committed the faux pas with the mixed metaphor.

OHMSS already went far enough during the banana scene.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

Indeed it is. Mea culpa. Not a Freudian slip I can assure you and not intended to cause unwanted controversy. I've already been chewed out on the Production thread this morning and so am attempting to be on my best behaviour for the rest of the day. 800lb Gorilla was going through my mind when I committed the faux pas with the mixed metaphor.

You could've said "I watched Octopussy last night. Honest Guv, I didn't mean to cause any offence!"
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2018 Posts: 9,117

Just as long as you weren't referring to Zambora from Nairobi, South Africa old chap, which somehow never gets mentioned along with 'fetch my shoes' and 'keep you in curry for a few weeks' amongst the most racist moments of the series.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Don t forget Pussfeller.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Don t forget Pussfeller.

I only realized in the last year that Pussfeller totally turns into a white guy for a moment when he and Quarrel fight Bond.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Don t forget Pussfeller.

I only realized in the last year that Pussfeller totally turns into a white guy for a moment when he and Quarrel fight Bond.

He must be of mixed blood.
    Hang on "Crack of the Whip". Is that a slave reference? Hmm.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    royale65 wrote: »

=)) I read the headline and thought...
    4049411-279af1e2564b709adc8adb7bf4c2df3605906c143c472dd1df3b0027af5dacb0.jpg
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 5,185

=)) I read the headline and thought...
    4049411-279af1e2564b709adc8adb7bf4c2df3605906c143c472dd1df3b0027af5dacb0.jpg

Yeah i was wondering about that too!
    Thought it's just some example of very black comedy (pardon the pun) which is just my thing.
    White people were slaves too, you know.
    We're all slaves. To the rhythm.
    And to love.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    We're all slaves. To the rhythm.

Aren't we all.
    Think Bond films are quite diverse, really. Back in 62 they could have made Quarrel a white character, but they didn't. Didn't keep the American Dr. No comic book edition from colouring Quarrel white, though, which is just sad. Following DN, Bond has interacted with ethnicities from whatever location Bond has visited, as @TheWizardOfIce wrote. Now we have Felix and Moneypenny portrayed by black actors – and let us not forget Colin Salmon portraying Charles Robinson in three Brosnan films. Salmon could have been a fantastic M, by the way.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Hopefully a horse racing reference. If not then...oops!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

That'll do for me!
    Remember, there are both black and white horses as well.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Remember, there are both black and white horses as well.

Especially on your TV. ;)

Ah, you were channeling your inner Zorin, hey? Good show! (We'll back you up if anyone says otherwise)