Is enthusiasm for Daniel Craig as Bond waning?

124»

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Just speaking for myself, in 2013 I was in NYC on work during the Broadway run of Betrayal, and went to see the play. In 2017 I tried to purchase tickets for Othello (it was a limited run and so I wasn't able to get it). So I suppose you could say I was 'enthusiastic' for him at that time. If he were to do another play now, I may or may not purchase tickets.

RE: Logan Lucky, I went to see it last year. I was not impressed with it at all.
    I found it boring as hell and completely unworthy of a brilliant fellow like Soderbergh.
    Agreed.
    I bailed out on the film halfway, actually. Couldn't watch it furthermore.

Let's just say I'm not interested in a redneck version of Ocean's Eleven.

Yes, me too. Life is too short. It was just painful.
    Agreed. I may check out Soderbergh's new iPhone film purely for Claire Foy, but it's more likely I'll wait for the home release.
    Are you going to watch Kings with Craig and Halle Berry?
    No, I'd rather save my money.
    --

So yes, I suppose one could say my enthusiasm for the man has waned. I'm currently indifferent to his return as James Bond, bordering on unenthusiastic. I suppose he could impress me with a great performance in an excellent Boyle directed effort, but on the whole his time has come and gone for me. I'm moving on, and will have done so by the end of 2019.
  • kg54mvpkg54mvp USA
    In my opinion, my enthusiasm has not waned. I'd say as these Bonds keep modernizing and evolving, it becomes more interesting as to what he will be like in the movies. I know the last two heavily talked about his character being old and done, I am so excited to see him back, and give it his all.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    welcome to the team @kg54mvp -- I agree with you. Be prepared that thoughts and ideas about the incumbent, are, at the moment, very divided on this forum (reflects the fan base more than, I'd say, the general fan-base).
    I don't know my enthusiasm for Craig is waning so much as the subject matter and direction of the films he's being given. I really liked QoS more than most and a lot of it was in watching Craig as Bond.

SF seemed like its credits should've read "Judi Dench as M in Skyfall. With Daniel Craig." We're being told Bond has lost a step and not the agent he used to be and then suddenly as things get rolling mid-film he reverts to being the Bond we know. So which is it?

I don't dislike SP as much as the majority seems to. Craig is still interesting to watch, but what bothers me is some of his line deliveries, especially the comebacks. Blofeld's "I thought you came here to die" should've gotten a better reply than "It's all a matter of perspective" or perhaps it was Craig's reading. The confrontation with Silva was a highlight of SF for me in that way.

One of the great pleasures of Bond films is his confidence and put-down of the villain even when he's captured and things appear hopeless. Connery and Moore were masters of this and that's one of the great pleasures in rewatching Bond films for me and where SP makes me cringe. This is Blofeld, the villain we've wanted back for years. May as well toss in "keep your hair on."

I think part of the issue is, the gaps between the movies provide time for too much thought and conversation about DC rather than the actual movies.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm just not that interested in watching him anymore. I'm not sure why. He was far more interesting to see when younger. Magnetic and genuinely intense on screen.

Now he just fades into the background and appears ordinary. It doesn't help that I don't find him particularly dashing or charming.

There are elements of his old self in certain scenes in SP (L'Americain for instance) but it's few and far between.

As has been mentioned, there really is little to judge him on these days because he hasn't made too many films. I'm only referring to SP & Logan Lucky, which are the two most recent productions I have seen him in. Even in SF he wasn't quite the presence for me that he was when he was younger.

I have made the comparison to actors like De Niro and Pacino in the past. They are examples of actors who had a certain natural screen intensity in their youth which gradually dissipated with age.

This is just my personal view of course
    Part of the issue, perhaps, is you link the actor with the emotions of his version of Bond. Anger, frustration, tiredness, etc are emotions one could connect with DCs version of Bond so they can rub off onto the our vision of the actor and his tenure. There is not that much positivity around the character so was it ever going to be sustainable in the same way the RM's Bond was?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I was utterly relieved when he announced his continuation in the role last year - mainly because I was dreading the media circus of ' female Bond' or 'black Bond' or 'Chinese Bond' or whatever the hell we would have been served with.

Now, as we wait for the next slab of tittle tattle, I'm with many here, feeling lethargic. But I expect when we have more positive information then the enthusiasm for B26, for Craig, for whoever and whatever will pump up.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I’m tired (and more so) of Mendes. Craig’s performance will follow Boyle’s idea which I would doubt is old/tired Bond after SF. I think SP was an attempt at Bond back in top form but Mendes was never right and didn’t know how to do it, slowing everything down, including performances, at snail pace to “create” suspense and his lame humor attempts during action sequences, etc.

I’m sure given Boyle’s energy and humor that Craig will return to form significantly if not completely.
    After Bond, Craig needs to haul himself to a Marvel production. Should he choose to remain relevant in the movie business. He can play Doom.

Mind=blown. Brilliant idea.
    I'd say I'm disappointed with the output of films and time in between. I know there was stuff going on after SP but it's lame they waited so long to get things going. That being said, I'd rather be waiting for just one more from Craig than to be saying goodbye after only 4. I wanted him to do 6, and he still might, but it's nice to get this many Bond films from him. Sure, waiting sucks but 4 doesn't feel like enough to do his era justice. We've needed a longer-termed Bond, all the way back to Moore actually, and although 5 films isn't 7, it's pretty solid.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Can't understand this sudden uprising appeal of Beam, really. He was a hideous nobody in my eyes.

It's David Harbour's recent rise to success that is prompting this. And it would be really interesting to see what he would do with the character, after ten years.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    After Bond, Craig needs to haul himself to a Marvel production. Should he choose to remain relevant in the movie business. He can play Doom.

Mind=blown. Brilliant idea.

I'd much prefer to see Dan as Tommy Elliot, aka Hush, in a Batman film. Imagine a scrap between a former Bond and Affleck's (?) version of Batman.

But I digress....

Craig looks to already be in better shape now than he was a couple of months ago. I do envy his ability to trim down so fast. Looking forward to seeing him back in his horrendously fitted suits again.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Recent video:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/watch-james-bonds-amazing-message-14456351

Indeed, the swelling in his face has gone away. I am convinced more than ever that the puffiness was due to medication, possibly a steroid. You sometimes get that swollen look, particularly in the cheekbones and eyebrows, with the skin stretched tight. I have had it in my face before; not fun.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    D
    TripAces wrote: »
    I am convinced more than ever that the puffiness was due to medication, possibly a steroid. You sometimes get that swollen look, particularly in the cheekbones and eyebrows, with the skin stretched tight.
    I mildly assumed so as well ... he is 50 now and it's just a matter of fact to bulk up again you may need some help.

IMHO he had his "DAF Look" in SP already and wants to get back to "TB shape" himself for a final, dynamic outing. Just my impression of course.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 1,661
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    It does appear like Craig picks bad films, but that's easier said as an audience member then being in his position and being on receiving end of what's being offered. I mean on paper a lot of the films seem like good ideas and with talented filmmakers...

If I had one critique it would be a wish that he'd taken supporting roles in better films rather than just going the route of headliner (which is normal, I get). But he was so good in Munich as an example. A few more of those would be better on his resume than a lot of his starring roles.

His career, like his Bond's films, haven't lived up to his abilities and promise, but few things do in life, so you know... he will undoubtedly have other movies in the future that deliver.

I think Pierce Brosnan has made some interesting films post Bond - I loved his performance in The Foreigner. I can see Craig having a similar career. It's possible a great weight will be lifted off Craig's shoulders after Bond. He can do lots of projects without people mentioning "are you making more Bond films, do you have any idea who should replace you?" I'm sure he won't miss all that.

I get the impression Craig wanted to be a film star rather than stick with British tv or theatre. To his credit he made it in the film business - he got James Bond! - but he doesn't strike me as the type of actor that wants to make future high profile projects. Perhaps he's done enough and has little desire to do more. It might be too tiring, too drawn out a schedule. Bond 25 may be Craig's last big budget film.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    From last week. Training well under way and he is looking great
    From last week. Training well under way and he is looking great

He looks damn good there. Craig is back!
    He certainly looks in top form once again!