Best Actor To Ever Appear in a Bond film.

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He has a kind of pock-marked face, that makes you notice him.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    He has a kind of pock-marked face, that makes you notice him.
    That's true actually. He has natural distinctive features, which avoids the need for something like a weeping eye or diamond studded face for instance.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Can't help adding Gert Fröbe. Brilliant and versatile actor.

Also IMO still the best Bond villain ever.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Just watched LTK and Davi May be the best Bond villain ever
    He's utterly fantastic. He has a ever-present quiet intensity to him that threatens to explode at any second, and when it does, it's almost scary. And he comes across as a real person. That also has to do with the script, since it fleshes out the character much more than other Bond villains, by showing him dealing with a number of different circumstances, both professional and personal, that we can all relate to to a higher degree than with, say, Drax or Stromberg, who exist more as caricatures (in a good way). Even so, there remains a sense of mystery to Sanchez. He feels real but makes you wonder and imagine about his life, his upbringing, the choices he made and the lessons he learnt. Though I love LTK as it is, the script could've explored the character a bit further, but that sense of intrigue has a great deal to do with Robert Davi's performance. Fine actor indeed, and his thoughts about the character, as stated in the LTK making-of, are very interesting.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,786
    I agree that Sanchez is one of the very best Bond villains.

But we're discussing the actor's greatness here. And although I am a stauch LTK defender I don't think Robert Davi qualifies as a great actor.

A very good one? Yes, defintely. However, if we're talking about great actors or actresses let's consider their entire movie catalogue. He never worked with the great masters of cinema such as Bergman (von Sydow), Spielberg (Shaw, Walken), Bava (Lee), Leone (Ferzetti), Visconti (Giannini), De Palma (Connery), Friedkin (again, von Sydow), Żuławski (Marceau), Scorsese (again, Lee), Bertolucci (Green) to name but a few.

Then again, a great actor doesn't necessary make a great Bond villain either. Max von Sydow was hardly a standout in NSNA while he's undeniably a great actor.

Bottom line, Davi definitely makes one of the best Bond villains, but he has yet to proof a tad more to be called a "great actor".
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    For me a tie between Robert Shaw & Diana Rigg.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I agree that Sanchez is one of the very best Bond villains.

But we're discussing the actor's greatness here. And although I am a stauch LTK defender I don't think Robert Davi qualifies as a great actor.

A very good one? Yes, defintely. However, if we're talking about great actors or actresses let's consider their entire movie catalogue. He never worked with the great masters of cinema such as Bergman (von Sydow), Spielberg (Shaw, Walken), Bava (Lee), Leone (Ferzetti), Visconti (Giannini), De Palma (Connery), Friedkin (again, von Sydow), Żuławski (Marceau), Scorsese (again, Lee), Bertolucci (Green) to name but a few.

Then again, a great actor doesn't necessary make a great Bond villain either. Max von Sydow was hardly a standout in NSNA while he's undeniably a great actor.

Bottom line, Davi definitely makes one of the best Bond villains, but he has yet to proof a tad more to be called a "great actor".

Fine post.

People are confusing great Bond villain with great actor.

I would contend that LTK is the high point of his career in terms of both profile and performance but don't really think you can be classed as a great actor when the highlights of your CV are The Goonies, a Bond film and a Die Hard film.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Davi delivered a great performance in LTK
    In a lot of ways he is more Bond in LTK than Dalton, especially the swagger and coolness imho.

fun trivia:
    For Talisa Sotos audition, John Glen recreated the usual FRWL scene where Bond meets Tatjana, and since Timothy wasn't around, he asked Davi to play the role of James Bond.
    John Glen said afterwards that Davi would have made a fantastic Bond.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2018 Posts: 17,691
    00Agent wrote: »
    The language rules of this site make it impossible for me to adequately express how much I disagree with this.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    He’s italian, he cant be bond
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

Right, and neither does he have the look. I think John Glen was just complimenting Davi on his acting and his confidence, half jokingly.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Right, and neither does he have the look. I think John Glen was just complimenting Davi on his acting and his confidence, half jokingly.
    And in that respect, he was quite right. I recall my first viewing of LTK as a kid. I remember wondering why the bad guy seemed so much cooler than Bond and had all the witty one liners while Bond seemed so anxious and angry all the time. So I get where he's coming from.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    BT3366 wrote: »

I think he's certainly the most underrated. Perhaps his performance gets lost in people's views of LTK as a Miami Vice film and Sanchez is merely a drug dealer and not some megalomaniac out to destroy the world.

It's not a showy performance, but one that has power to it due to the actor. He's frightening without having a scar or some other physical distinction to make him more noticeable.

Bang on!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The language rules of this site make it impossible for me to adequately express how much I disagree with this.

No more silly than some wanting Edris Elba as Bond though.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    As a late addition to this thread, I only just learned that Malcolm Sinclair (who played Dryden in CR) was president of Equity, the actor's trade union, from 2010-2018.

I'd say his career both on and off stage puts him well up the list for most established / qualified Bond cast members.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    As a late addition to this thread, I only just learned that Malcolm Sinclair (who played Dryden in CR) was president of Equity, the actor's trade union, from 2010-2018.

I'd say his career both on and off stage puts him well up the list for most established / qualified Bond cast members.

@Tokoloshe2 I didn't know that. Interesting information.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Its strange that we have to accept that certain actors are greater than others. I would think that choosing the 'greatest' actor would be like choosing the greatest rock band. Personal opinion.

For me I don't think anyone has been as good as Judi Dench, but she did of course have several films to grow into her role. It culminated in her performance in Skyfall which was nothing short of magnificent.
    Walken in Comfort of Strangers , amazing
  • mckillopmckillop Oregon
    I wonder if Matt Leblankc knows any, like remote ones, that we wouldn't have heard of, but like, outworld 007 films
    but like uncensored you know? probably a lot longer than 7 hours I don't think they don't make films for FUN
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    mckillop wrote: »
    I wonder if Matt Leblankc knows any, like remote ones, that we wouldn't have heard of, but like, outworld 007 films
    but like uncensored you know? probably a lot longer than 7 hours I don't think they don't make films for FUN

538.jpg
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Diana Rigg and Eva Green.
    Michael Kitchen should get a shout out for the varied career he has had.
    mckillop wrote: »

The drug is starting to take effect.
    BT3366 wrote: »

I think he's certainly the most underrated. Perhaps his performance gets lost in people's views of LTK as a Miami Vice film and Sanchez is merely a drug dealer and not some megalomaniac out to destroy the world.

It's not a showy performance, but one that has power to it due to the actor. He's frightening without having a scar or some other physical distinction to make him more noticeable.

Sanchez is brilliant and LTK is a great Flemingesque adventure. I’ve got the Miami Vice box set.....it’s nothing like LTK. Open colour shirts (no ties with a suit) and cocaine deals is where the similarities end.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Best actors in a Bond film?

Peter Sellers
    Orson Welles
    David Niven
    Woody Allen

Look, people may say what they want about CR67 but that film is loaded with excellent actors.

Anyways, for those incapable of accepting the film as a Bond film,

Sean Bean
    Joseph Wiseman
    Robert Shaw
    Donald Pleasence
    Peter Sellers was great in Being There.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Peter Sellers was great in Being There.

He sure was. Brilliant.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Peter Sellers
    Orson Welles
    David Niven
    Woody Allen

Look, people may say what they want about CR67 but that film is loaded with excellent actors.

Sean Bean
    Joseph Wiseman
    Robert Shaw
    Donald Pleasence

CR67 didn't just just limit itself to great actors and actresses (you can add Deborah Kerr, William Holden and Jean-Paul Belmondo to the list as well). You also have John Huston directing AND starring – and Burt Bacharach, Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass and Dusty Springfield providing the music. The credits on this film are just ridiculous.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,805

Peter Sellers
    Orson Welles
    David Niven
    Woody Allen

Sean Bean
    Joseph Wiseman
    Robert Shaw
    Donald Pleasence

CR67 didn't just just limit itself to great actors and actresses (you can add Deborah Kerr, William Holden and Jean-Paul Belmondo to the list as well). You also have John Huston directing AND starring – and Burt Bacharach, Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass and Dusty Springfield providing the music. The credits on this film are just ridiculous.

Yes, and they still managed to throw all of that talent away and make a terrible mess of a film out if it all. It's a film that doesn't know what it wants to be, perhaps because it endured no less than five different directors!

It's proof, if it were needed, that a great cast alone does not guarantee a great resultant film. A film still needs a good script, direction, editing and a clear vision of what it wants to project on the big screen. CR '67 ends up being more of an unfocused spoof on the madcap Swinging Sixties than a successful spoof of the James Bond character or films.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,281
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Peter Sellers
    Orson Welles
    David Niven
    Woody Allen

Sean Bean
    Joseph Wiseman
    Robert Shaw
    Donald Pleasence

Yes, and they still managed to throw all of that talent away and make a terrible mess of a film out if it all. It's a film that doesn't know what it wants to be, perhaps because it endured no less than five different directors!

It's proof, if it were needed, that a great cast alone does not guarantee a great resultant film. A film still needs a good script, direction, editing and a clear vision of what it wants to project on the big screen. CR '67 ends up being more an unfocused spoof on the Swinging Sixties than a successful spoof of James Bond.

All very true. Peter Sellers leaving the the production before all of his scenes were shot, didn't help either. It's an incredible mess of a film, and James Bond Radio's interview with director Joseph McGrath is worth checking out. Those who complain about the B25 production should really sit through it.

I have to admit having a fascination for this film, even how bad it is. It's a lovely time capsule of the Swinging Sixties, and there are some entertaining moments that I find quite funny.