Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    DAF
    YOLT
  • infoviseinfovise Ireland
    DAF over NSNA

YOLT over SP
    NSNA loved Connery his last outing as agent 007 had more bite than the last EON installment he did.

and

YOLT SP is at the bottom of my rating so not biggie,
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    DAF and YOLT for sure!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Definitely going with Connery's last 002 official EON, John Barry scored films:

DAF

beb880cc248517089cd6e49f9ddb8e3b--bond-girls-james-bond.jpg

and

YOLT

sean+connery+twicesmall+copia.jpg

Pictures courtesy of the drawing talents of Pat Carbajal.
    Ah yes my two least favourite Bond films. I'm going to go with DAF due to Wint and Kidd and Tiffany Case.

I do enjoy these next two, but SP is by far my favourite for sentimental reasons. YOLT has lovely cinematography, but SP is the Bond film I re-watch the most.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    All SPECTRE films.

DAF by a bit.

YOLT by a fair bit.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 1,081
    DAF
    SP
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    DAF over NSNA

YOLT over SP
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agent_One wrote: »
    DAF over NSNA. Connery s first comeback is better than his second in almost every way. The exception is perhaps Connery himself. Way better shape 12 years later.

SP over YOLT, but only just. What pushes it ahead is a much better pts, Lea and far better villains. Including Blofeld (being behind three previous plots in both cases), but his crater is more impressive in YOLT. YOLT does have a much better theme song, too. And Connery.

What exactly does Bro-feld have over Pleasance's version?

The Brofelding is the one thing I don t like about the characterization in SP. Other than that, I prefer Waltz over Pleasence by far. Of the four Blofelds in this round, he is my least favorite. I like all the others, although none of them is on par with the unseen Blofeld or Savalas.

(I mentioned Lea in my post, but must add that Akiko and Mie are also among my favourite Bond girls. It s just that Madeleine is a more interesting character. In the other match, both girls are rather bland.)
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    There are days I’m really up for watching NSNA but it’s a definite the-parrot-is-not-for-turning vote for DAF and YOLT Thanks
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    DAF & SP

Both easy choices this time.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    NSNA and YOLT. Neither by a large margin, but clearly enough.
    DAF by a lot.

SP over YOLT by a little. Both are in my bottom 3rd, but I don't loathe SP as much as many here do.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    DAF. Barely.
    YOLT. By a wide margin.
    DAF

YOLT

Easy picks this week. I don't mind Spectre but YOLT is one of my all-time favorites.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    NSNA over DAF

SP over YOLT
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    DAF
    SP
    NSNA beats DAF. NSNA has a certain style but in my opinion DAF is a mess.

SP beats YOLT, though YOLT is a classic Bond film and still entertaining.
    How many more of these face-offs are left to do?
    vzok wrote: »

Nine more matches, which means four or five more rounds. I haven t decided if I should put three matches in the 149th round or just one in round 150 as I have been leaning towards.
    I have to ask, what's so bad about YOLT?

Not much IMHO. It's the one that transformed me from a casual fan to a mega-fan.

The most exotically located film. The most hypnotic and hauntingly beautiful Barry Bond score. Tiger Tanaka makes the coolest male ally in the series IMHO. It features the most harrowing death of a Bond villainess when No. 11 ends up in the piranha pool. Blofeld's lair is my favorite Ken Adam set. It has my favorite Bond meets primary villain scene. And to top it off it has the most exciting final battle in the series between Tanaka's ninjas and SPECTRE ninjas. I love it.

Sidenote-without YOLT there is no TSWLM:

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 8,676

And no MR, either. Just looking at the basic storyline, three times the same movie by the same director. But all three have their highlights.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

And no MR, either. Just looking at the basic storyline, three times the same movie by the same director. But all three have their highlights.

I agree:

I love all 3 of the Gilbert directed Bond films. They're not faithful to Fleming but they're fun.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    DAF and SP

Off Topic Blofeld Ranking:
    1. Unseen
    2. Savalas
    3. Waltz
    4. Pleasance
    5. Gray

Although I'm extremely due for another watch of DAF so it may change. Also I've never seen NSNA. :S
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    NSNA and YOLT
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Both amongst the weakest entries but DAF's Wint & Kidd and Barry's score edge out NSNA's excellent Brandauer.
    YOLT and it's not even close.
    DAF and SP

Off Topic Blofeld Ranking:
    1. Unseen
    2. Savalas
    3. Waltz
    4. Pleasance
    5. Gray

Although I'm extremely due for another watch of DAF so it may change. Also I've never seen NSNA. :S

How can you prefer DAF if you haven t seen NSNA?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    DAF by a decent length.

YOLT destroys its' competition.

For me, as well.
    vzok wrote: »

Nine more matches, which means four or five more rounds. I haven t decided if I should put three matches in the 149th round or just one in round 150 as I have been leaning towards.

Sorry, correction: Eleven more matches. I had forgotten that I have already picked out the next round. I am going to make round 150 contain three matches. It is a nice, round number to end it on. Five more rounds it is, then. Another month.