So if Blofeld returns for Bond #25? How should we bring him back effectively?

Comments

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,165
    I've read before online (so take it for what it's worth) that Gary Oldman was approached to play Blofeld before Waltz was chosen. He declined due to the prolonged shooting schedule.
    Minion wrote: »
    I've read before online (so take it for what it's worth) that Gary Oldman was approached to play Blofeld before Waltz was chosen. He declined due to the prolonged shooting schedule.

Gary Oldman is an excellent actor - he would have made an excellent,menacing Blofeld.

Oldman is a wonderful actor and can be pretty threatening IMHO. He was a great bad guy in Leon for example. I dont think he has ever given a lazy performance and does not have a default character to fall back on (which Walz does)
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    We know Waltz isn't a physical threat, so that's out. Since they gave him the Pleasence scarred eye that kind of ruins any attempt at changing his appearance, though I guess they could still do this.

Movie Blofeld could follow book Blofeld by getting plastic surgery so extensive he's unrecognizable from his old self. Which means Walz could be dropped in favor of a new, more appropriate actor.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2017 Posts: 17,805
    Revelator wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    We know Waltz isn't a physical threat, so that's out. Since they gave him the Pleasence scarred eye that kind of ruins any attempt at changing his appearance, though I guess they could still do this.

Movie Blofeld could follow book Blofeld by getting plastic surgery so extensive he's unrecognizable from his old self. Which means Walz could be dropped in favor of a new, more appropriate actor.

Yes, that certainly would be one way around the casting of Blofeld, even if it does smack of being a little corny for today's Bond film audience.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @thelivingroyale - it's the first time I've heard the literary YOLT being compared to Logan!
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I wish we never got to a point where we will seriously discuss the return of Blofeld to the Bond series. I was firmly against it before it happened, and the way they brought him back only made my belief stronger. The dreadful 'it was all me' retcon, and equally terrible 'foster brother angle', make me wish Blofeld stayed in the past for good. That tacky scar as well.

Unfortunately, I think he will be back again in Bond 25, and despite seeing all the different ideas here, I don't see the way how Blofeld's return can become interesting to me. I will be extremely and pleasantly surprised if they succeed in making it so.

At least I hope that he'll be over and done with in Bond 25. Having him back again in the future is probably the only thing that could ruin my enthusiasm for the franchise.

The past should stay in the past. A discreet throwback here and there is okay, but a big NO to bringing back old villains, no matter how 'iconic' and 'epic' they once were.

Blofeld was Bond's only recurring villain, in any continuity, and was suited to that role. Bringing him back as the shadowy mastermind of an organization like Spectre--whose corporate terrorism makes it especially timely and well-suited as the recurring nemesis of a modern Bond film--was itself a good idea. It was just very badly executed, thanks to an unnecessary backstory, miscasting, and making the character cast aside his mastermind role too early.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Blofeld was Bond's only recurring villain, in any continuity, and was suited to that role. Bringing him back as the shadowy mastermind of an organization like Spectre--whose corporate terrorism makes it especially timely and well-suited as the recurring nemesis of a modern Bond film--was itself a good idea. It was just very badly executed, thanks to an unnecessary backstory, miscasting, and making the character cast aside his mastermind role too early.

@Revelator do you think Blofeld can be fixed after spectre like the childhood stuff and continuity or do you think they killed him in one film like the damage is done and is unfixable
    edited August 2017 Posts: 3,126
    with Daniel returning I think Blofeld will be involved don't know what they will do with him but hopefully something exciting and give creditably back to Blofeld I like Spectre but I think the way they handle Blofeld was a bit poor but can be fixable. As for anything else I would love a return of Felix helping Bond on a mission hopefully we can get Bond out of London for the climaxes its getting a bit repetitive and no more personal stuff and childhood and just full straight on mission stuff m gives bond a mission and bond heads out and we m congratulate bond when mission is accomplished no more everyone against mi6 government stuff and no more m in the field.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Minion wrote: »

Gary Oldman is an excellent actor - he would have made an excellent,menacing Blofeld.

"Moreau, bring me everyone."
    "What do you mean, everyone?"
    "EVERYOOOOONEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!"
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    His mask will fall off and we wil see more agression side. Of this guy. But what i hope it going to be is that using Blofeld be on a trial for somebodyeles.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,896
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    @Revelator do you think Blofeld can be fixed after spectre like the childhood stuff and continuity or do you think they killed him in one film like the damage is done and is unfixable

I think the character can still be fixed if in the next film the childhood stuff is completely ignored. Giving Bond a personal relationship to Blofeld added nothing to either character in Spectre. Fleming wisely made Blofeld a recurring nemesis before casting him Tracy's slayer, which gave Bond extra motivation to destroy him. There is no point in emulating this aspect of Blofeld--we don't need a remake of OHMSS or for Bond to grieve after another dead girlfriend--so Blofeld must revert to being a brilliant mastermind, directing an enemy intelligence network for terrorists.
    Even if they ignore it, we know it's there. So when they are talking, we are thinking about it. The gene is out of the bottle.
    patb wrote: »
    Even if they ignore it, we know it's there. So when they are talking, we are thinking about it. The gene is out of the bottle.

While it's true there's no turning back with what they've already done, the next film doesn't have to focus on Bond/Blofeld's past at all. I think even for those upset with how SP handled things, simply bringing back Blofeld wouldn't guarantee a Bond 25 disappointment. Blofeld doesn't even have to be played by Christoph Waltz - though I do believe if directed well, he could still be a great Blofeld rather than a serviceable one.
    FoxRox wrote: »

While it's true there's no turning back with what they've already done, the next film doesn't have to focus on Bond/Blofeld's past at all. I think even for those upset with how SP handled things, simply bringing back Blofeld wouldn't guarantee a Bond 25 disappointment. Blofeld doesn't even have to be played by Christoph Waltz - though I do believe if directed well, he could still be a great Blofeld rather than a serviceable one.

Same here

Same here

Agreed here too. People focus too much on the wrongdoings of the previous film. And we all know events from the past are by no means guarantee for the future outcome.

Just look at Ernst Blofeld in YOLT and how that film, with Connery, felt rather tired and overblown because of insane expensive production design. The film in the end to me turned out to be one of Connery's weakest.

But then two years later Blofeld was back in OHMSS. Yes, there was a slight continuity error (How could Blofeld not recognize James "Hillary" Bond? Was his Japanese make-up in YOLT really that good). But what Telly did to Blofeld was....perhaps the best iteration of the man.

So let's bring it on then for Bond #25.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Same here

Agreed here too. People focus too much on the wrongdoings of the previous film. And we all know events from the past are by no means guarantee for the future outcome.

Just look at Ernst Blofeld in YOLT and how that film, with Connery, felt rather tired and overblown because of insane expensive production design. The film in the end to me turned out to be one of Connery's weakest.

But then two years later Blofeld was back in OHMSS. Yes, there was a slight continuity error (How could Blofeld not recognize James "Hillary" Bond? Was his Japanese make-up in YOLT really that good). But what Telly did to Blofeld was....perhaps the best iteration of the man.

So let's bring it on then for Bond #25.

Excellently put.

While it's true there's no turning back with what they've already done, the next film doesn't have to focus on Bond/Blofeld's past at all. I think even for those upset with how SP handled things, simply bringing back Blofeld wouldn't guarantee a Bond 25 disappointment.

For what it's worth, I'm still advocating making Oberhauser a busybody, who just pretended to be the head of Spectre, just to impress that much hated foster brother. It would also be a good excuse to bring back the real Blofeld with a vengeance, since he has to redeem his now ridiculed name.

I think the character can still be fixed if in the next film the childhood stuff is completely ignored. Giving Bond a personal relationship to Blofeld added nothing to either character in Spectre. Fleming wisely made Blofeld a recurring nemesis before casting him Tracy's slayer, which gave Bond extra motivation to destroy him. There is no point in emulating this aspect of Blofeld--we don't need a remake of OHMSS or for Bond to grieve after another dead girlfriend--so Blofeld must revert to being a brilliant mastermind, directing an enemy intelligence network for terrorists.

Good observations particularly regarding the novels: Blofeld became Bond's nemesis almost by necessity. I think the whole stepbrother backstory being already ignored by Bond (he calls him Blofeld the moment his enemy reveals him his new name for crying out loud), then they can just base their antagonism on their previous clashes.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    With the current political climate and tension between the USA and North Korea it feels like the perfect time for Blofeld and Spectre to orchestrate Nuclear War so they can take power. Much like the plot of the original You Only Live Twice film.
    Spectre blows up a us ship after firing from near north Korea spectre purposely does a failed coup on north Korea and using surveillance links the coup to the us
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Spectre blows up a us ship after firing from near north Korea spectre purposely does a failed coup on north Korea and using surveillance links the coup to the us

Yeah that sort of thing. Why not?! I mean it's more terrifying than just the knowledge that SPECTRE would have access to the information collected by all the intelligence agencies. This is coming from someone who enjoys SPECTRE the film immensely!
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Yeah that sort of thing. Why not?! I mean it's more terrifying than just the knowledge that SPECTRE would have access to the information collected by all the intelligence agencies. This is coming from someone who enjoys SPECTRE the film immensely!

Why not? Because the plot of the YOLT movie sucked that's why.

Now I'm all for a closer adaptation of YOLT instead, however challenging it may be.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    You just have a scene where Blofeld tries to push buttons in Bond with referring to the childhood connection and DC just doesn't react and Ernst knows there is no point pursuing it anymore it's futile.

From watching SPECTRE it's Blofeld that wants to make it a big deal and Bond kind of shrugs it off but the damage was done already, just let it be dealt with in that one scene and from then on it's just Bond vs Blofeld and the past connection is irrelevant and it's just his job to oppose this man and no personal connection.

I agree Waltz could well pull a Bardem given the right material but his does have a ltd box of tricks.

An Oldman Blofeld just sound too good to be true and that would have been something to see, he does subtlety so well, his George Smiley is so sedate but one scene in particular in TTSS you see the nastier darker GS just lying below the surface.

I love this scene and it's one of the highlights in this masterpiece of a film, so glad Gary confirms Smiley's People is going into production next year apparently.

My rewrite of Denbigh in my alternative SP version is someone close to Mallory's past and his age, Oldman was one of my suggestions for this role, although Mark Strong, Christopher Eccleston or Jason Issacs would have also suited.
  • watchthebirdiewatchthebirdie Underneath the mango tree
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    With the current political climate and tension between the USA and North Korea it feels like the perfect time for Blofeld and Spectre to orchestrate Nuclear War so they can take power. Much like the plot of the original You Only Live Twice film.
    I think a nuclear war plot would be best for Bond 25 whatever. While it would have seemed silly and out of place in the modern era back in the CR days, now to some it is a real fear. This would be the perfect round up to the SPECTRE and Blofeld storyline.
  • I think they can get away of not mentioning the brother angle entirely. Bond never really seemed to care and they both have new reasons to hate eachother now (Blofeld being sent to prison and for Bond, maybe Madeline being killed and losing his last chance at a normal life?).

Besides, I get the sense that some people involved weren't as keen on the idea as Mendes and whoever else were, because it was really downplayed by the end. It didn't have much bearing on the story at all, almost like they were ashamed of it. And I think the backlash to it will make those involved in production who did like the idea realise it was a mistake. So I don't think they need to address it and I don't think they will. They can quietly forget about it without it seeming forced because it was such an afterthought in the final film anyway.
    I think they can get away of not mentioning the brother angle entirely. Bond never really seemed to care and they both have new reasons to hate eachother now (Blofeld being sent to prison and for Bond, maybe Madeline being killed and losing his last chance at a normal life?).

Besides, I get the sense that some people involved weren't as keen on the idea as Mendes and whoever else were, because it was really downplayed by the end. It didn't have much bearing on the story at all, almost like they were ashamed of it. And I think the backlash to it will make those involved in production who did like the idea realise it was a mistake. So I don't think they need to address it and I don't think they will. They can quietly forget about it without it seeming forced because it was such an afterthought in the final film anyway.

Still it's in the world though. It will take a long long time until people stop making jokes (especially Austin Power ones) about it.
    Do people still talk about Austin Powers?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,600
    They didn't until SP