The MI6 Community Religion and Faith Discussion Space (for members of all faiths - and none!)

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2017 Posts: 17,816
    Birdleson wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    When politicians pride on religion in their public announcements, they should be deprived of their powers.

*thinks*
    "God bless America."
    Ah well, there you have it.

I agree with that 100%. I detest religion on principle and get very uncomfortable when it is introduced into politics.

It's not so much of a guiding issue in the UK I feel, not since the days of the late great Sir Alec Douglas-Home (PM 1963-1964) anyhow. The US can do its own thing, of course.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I'm not the biggest fan of this thread so this'll be my only contribution.
    God bless all of you and Merry Christmas. I wish nothing but good things for all all you.
    Remington wrote: »
    God bless all of you and Merry Christmas. I wish nothing but good things for all all you.

As thread creator, I second that sentiment.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I'm having issues with this statement I'm afraid. The use of the word 'Christmas' is a bit exclusive for my liking and seems to be pertaining largely to Christians. It's hardly an acceptable word in diverse multi ethnic Britain.

Our boss sent a message to all staff which scrupulously went out of its way to avoid the C word and mentioned the 'festive season' and 'seasonal good will' which I thought was much better and shows why TFL leads the way in multiculturality.

I'm sure he won't be so reticent to use the word Ramadan mind you when that rolls around. He wont be able to stop saying that one.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Here I was just about to post a video of the late great Christopher Hitchens mocking a vile Christian priest the day of his death to celebrate my Atheistic Christmas when I see so many sweet seasons greetings flowing into this forum. Bah humbug, that's ruined it!

I'm having issues with this statement I'm afraid. The use of the word 'Christmas' is a bit exclusive for my liking and seems to be pertaining largely to Christians. It's hardly an acceptable word in diverse multi ethnic Britain.

Our boss sent a message to all staff which scrupulously went out of its way to avoid the C word and mentioned the 'festive season' and 'seasonal good will' which I thought was much better and shows why TFL leads the way in multiculturality.

I'm sure he won't be so reticent to use the word Ramadan mind you when that rolls around. He wont be able to stop saying that one.

'Troll the ancient Yuletide carols I say. Christmas has in essence little to nothing to do with Jesus. It is all about Pagan myths of Light, death, rebirth and the passage of time.Even Nativity Scenes are basically full of fertility imagery. Anyway, I'm all for calling the holiday Christmas in English, by default. But it's NOT called Christmas in every language and let's not forget it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Ludovico, Christians throughout history have been amazing theft artists. Their holy book is full of the clichés of popular hero myths, for one, pointing to a highly fictitious (and yes, mythic) nature that was influenced by cultural storytelling conventions. I watched a fascinating video recently where a scholar used a book about mythological tales and hero myths to score how close Jesus and his story came towards matching the high number of hero clichés found in the myths of others like Oedipus (I think Oedipus got 21 or 22). Jesus got an impressive 19, one of the largest tallies on the list.
    Oh yes Christianity is pretty much a myth scavenger. The whole New Testament is a fanfic of the old one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Myths always take new forms.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    “Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”

― Isaac Asimov
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Oh yes Christianity is pretty much a myth scavenger. The whole New Testament is a fanfic of the old one.
    Pre-internet fan fiction, truly religion's greatest achievement. Christians should forget trying to argue that religion owns morality and instead start gloating about their OG pastiche of their own original writings.

When you get looking into it you find out just how ubiquitous things like virgin births, hero sacrifices and all the rest are across myths of varying location and language. Jesus and God fit into that history of fictional storytelling perfectly, the only difference being that we're still trying to convince people that, much like Thor or Odin, these figures are also man made. Strike me down with righteous thunder if I be mistaken!
    tumblr_mk8f8cnCKq1s0pqwdo1_500.gif
    :-SS
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/south-africa-single-religion-schools-outlaw-ban-faith-christian-muslim-jewish-a7814231.html

Single-religion schools have been outlawed in South Africa after a ruling at the Johannesburg High Court.

Public schools may no longer promote themselves as subscribing to a single particular religion at the exclusion of others, the court ruled.
    patb wrote: »
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/south-africa-single-religion-schools-outlaw-ban-faith-christian-muslim-jewish-a7814231.html

Single-religion schools have been outlawed in South Africa after a ruling at the Johannesburg High Court.

Public schools may no longer promote themselves as subscribing to a single particular religion at the exclusion of others, the court ruled.

This country understands the harm done by segregation.
    Big progress for a continent that seemed more concerned about the "dangers" of condoms and female contraceptives than their AIDS epidemic.
    Big progress for a continent that seemed more concerned about the "dangers" of condoms and female contraceptives than their AIDS epidemic.

Too be honest that kind of behaviour has been promoted solely by the Christian , mostly American, missionaries and they have the hand on the wallet.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 17,816
    SaintMark wrote: »

Too be honest that kind of behaviour has been promoted solely by the Christian , mostly American, missionaries and they have the hand on the wallet.

Not forgetting the role of the Roman Catholic Church. I think the banning of condoms is an iniquity. It helps to spread AIDS further and that can never be right.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Not forgetting the role of the Roman Catholic Church.
    Many hands in that pie, for sure. And everyone's other hand is waving a bible.

It's the fear that there will be one less human to be a member of X denomination. There's no thought that morally it's the right thing to do. It is being relaxed somewhat, but we're not quite there yet.
    Surely if you're a 'believer' you have to back not using condoms don't you? Just have a quick prayer beforehand and you're covered, if you'll excuse the pun? If you have 'faith' that you won't get HIV isn't that enough?

I wish I was a believer. I'd shag around all over the shop, smoke 60 a day, drive at 130mph without a seatbelt and eat copious amounts of donuts and foie gras safe in the knowledge that I'd just need to pray to my all loving and merciful Lord and Saviour and he'd protect me from VD, lung cancer, car crashes and a massive coronary.

Why waste time with the science of medicine or road safety when you've got a get out of jail free card?

As far as I'm concerned anyone religious who rocks up at a hospital asking for the pathetic care mankind's feeble mind's have dreamed up is a bit odd. Why not cut out the monkeys who went to medical school for 7 years and go straight to the organ grinder who created us to save you?

If your iPhone was knackered would you rather have the minimum wage gimp who works in Carphone Warehouse look at it or Steve Jobs?

Sounds like a lack of faith. If you get cancer you just need to believe more rather than throwing yourselves on the mercy of chemotherapy. Such crude man made treatments are for us non believers.

If all the religious went to church instead of hospital when they were ill it would take a lot of pressure off the NHS too. And it would also hasten the demise of religion as they would all die out because praying is not as effective as modern medicine at keeping people alive.

It's the fear that there will be one less human to be a member of X denomination. There's no thought that morally it's the right thing to do. It is being relaxed somewhat, but we're not quite there yet.
    They certainly snap kids up young, like a terrorist organization; better for brainwashing that way, due to mental malleability. Out of the womb and into the baptismal water. The infants must be claimed immediately.
    I was baptized. My son was not.
    Great parenting, there. No reason to have your kids drowned when you don't need to, I always say.

In all seriousness, if I had kids I wouldn't force them to engage in rituals and traditions they had no ability to understand at such a young age. I think that's a very cruel and manipulative thing to do. Best to wait when they're old enough to make up their own mind about things and allow them to explore at their own whim.
    Great parenting, there. No reason to have your kids drowned when you don't need to, I always say.

In all seriousness, if I had kids I wouldn't force them to engage in rituals and traditions they had no ability to understand at such a young age. I think that's a very cruel and manipulative thing to do. Best to wait when they're old enough to make up their own mind about things and allow them to explore at their own whim.

That s the problem with organized religion, isn t it? The dogma,the trivialization to entrap weaker minds, the forcing of your own beliefs on others, it s like rape.

That s the problem with organized religion, isn t it? The dogma,the trivialization to entrap weaker minds, the forcing of your own beliefs on others, it s like rape.
    It's one of the bigger issues, yes. You put kids in front of a service and soon the opinions of everyone else become absorbed into them and they grow up not knowing that those weren't their opinions at the start, but were engineered inside of them.

I've long respected my parents for refusing to baptize me, force me to go to church or anything of the like. I got to grow up, read and make up my own mind, with the freedom to say, "This is bullshit" and move on with my life. I also get to have the joy of teasing the most radical Catholics I know that I wasn't baptized and am still struck with Adam and Eve's original sin, which has the potential to get some great reactions. Probably not as amusing as the look I got when I outed myself as an atheist to a woman under the roof of her own church, but close.

It's one of the bigger issues, yes. You put kids in front of a service and soon the opinions of everyone else become absorbed into them and they grow up not knowing that those weren't their opinions at the start, but were engineered inside of them.

I've long respected my parents for refusing to baptize me, force me to go to church or anything of the like. I got to grow up, read and make up my own mind, with the freedom to say, "This is bullshit" and move on with my life. I also get to have the joy of teasing the most radical Catholics I know that I wasn't baptized and am still struck with Adam and Eve's original sin, which has the potential to get some great reactions. Probably not as amusing as the look I got when I outed myself as an atheist to a woman under the roof of her own church, but close.

Having been baptised as a baby (and thus cleansed of Adam & Eve's heinous crime) I'm intrigued as to how Original Sin weighs on one? Do you get the irresistible urge to nick an apple whenever you go past the fruit & veg section in the supermarket?

Having been baptised as a baby (and thus cleansed of Adam & Eve's heinous crime) I'm intrigued as to how Original Sin weighs on one? Do you get the irresistible urge to nick an apple whenever you go past the fruit & veg section in the supermarket?

As I said I was baptized, and I have still stolen apples. Not in the supermarket, but me and a couple mates ate them while still hanging on the tree of a neighbour as teenagers. The next day he would find just applecores on his tree. It wasn t the tree of life or wisdom or whatever, though.

@TheWizardOfIce, an interesting question, and I thank you for asking. The original sin is a great burden for those who escaped the baptismal waters as children, and said burden often outweighs its entertainment value when I tease the faithful about it.

Nearly every day, and every time I'm around apples, a snake will slither up to me and hiss the words, "Take one...take one" at me until I finally do snatch one and it goes away. I don't know if this is Lucifer or not, but he surely must be, right? I mean, the snake is different from any I've seen at the zoo, as it has pure, red eyes that glare into my soul. I immediately feel bad afterward for stealing the apple, but what am I supposed to do? I have to suffer in perpetuity at the hands of Satan just because my parents didn't allow a bunch of men in dresses to drown me?

I also once dipped my finger in holy water and had a severe burn in the third degree on it for at least a week that didn't go away through an application of ice or ointment, so I'm either Lucifer's plaything marked for sin or am the Anti-Christ himself. I can't tell which is worse, but I certainly don't look like Jesus or a negative version of Jesus, so I am leaning towards the former. I thought I was possessed for a time, but I've never called a priest a "worthless cocks@#$er" or climbed down stairs backwards on all fours before, so that can't be it either.

What do I do?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 45,489
    That is very disturbing, Brady. I am sending some specialists over.
    A tragic case history.

The beauty of Christianity though is you can repent and get baptised on your deathbed and you get all the benefits of someone who has put in decades of going to church and abstaining from masturbation.

See 'The parable of the workers in the vineyard' to see how fair God is, the sheer injustice of which was one of the major reasons I started asking questions around the age of 13 about the bullshit I had been fed all my life. My RE teacher loved that I can tell you.

So eat (apples), drink and indulge your most depraved fantasies Brady and be secure in the knowledge that at the end you can say 'Sorry about all that God' and he lets you into heaven. I like to think Jimmy Savile pulled off the same trick and is now sitting in heaven fiddling with the cherubs.

Keep the talking snakes to yourself though - it's considered mental if you say you are hearing voices in your head (unless you say it's God obviously).
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4,602
    The headline should read "Grenfell Faith Leaders trying to work out why their God killed 71 people"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/dec/28/the-community-can-never-get-back-to-normal-grenfell-faith-leaders-on-the-ongoing-tragedy

Anyone can dig up some some grass and create a "garden of peace". Classic distraction from the bigger questions;
This discussion has been closed.