The MI6 Community Religion and Faith Discussion Space (for members of all faiths - and none!)

Comments

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I don't know why someone would create this thread in the first place if people would attack people's faith's I'm out of here since this thread as clearly misused it's purpose yes we have differences but we don't have to make fun of each other for what we believe in I'm out of here until this thread changes or I may not come back at all
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I don't know why I created this thread but I freely admit it was a mistake. The mods can close it if they feel it's necessary.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'd say that's an overreaction. We don't go at each other's throats, and I think the issues of religion should be discussed and debated, as they are long-held and devastating. It often becomes a one-sided conversation, where the atheists make a point that people don't want to argue, and then we're left to little but twirling our thumbs. But we have always been the side that presses, and the other that relents. In many ways they must, as there are things that are impossible to defend on the religious side.

Some of this stuff besides is hard to discuss with a straight face, can we all agree with that? In a natural world with no signs of a supreme overlord's touch, you can't expect people to treat issues of fairy tales and fantasy with the kind of respect and fairness they would an opinion that could actually be tangibly grounded and identified.

Some of us are watching blu-rays on our mega flat screen TVs while others appear to be listening to their programs on the fireside radio. Best way I could underscore where religion has left us from a social and scientific perspective, with a progressive and regressive side pushing and pulling.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2017 Posts: 9,117
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I don't know why someone would create this thread in the first place if people would attack people's faith's I'm out of here since this thread as clearly misused it's purpose yes we have differences but we don't have to make fun of each other for what we believe in out of here until this thread changes or I may not come back at all

Yes that's exactly what we have to do until religion recedes from public life and merely becomes something people can do if they really want to as long as its in the privacy of their own home and the rest of us don't have to hear anything about it.

Unless you are into stamp collecting when was the last time you heard anything mentioned about stamp collecting on the news, in the paper etc etc? Never. People do it and that's fine if they get something out of it. Personally I don't have any interest in it and that's fine as well. Each to their own.

The difference is you don't have the media, government and the law bending over backwards to force stamp collecting down everyone's throats.

• edited September 2017 Posts: 4,602
    @007Blofeld So you think that all peoples beliefs should be respected? UFO abductees? Elvis lives next door? etc etc.

One of the reasons religion has managed to last so long as that it has created and enforced the social taboo that ALL religious views should be respected. This taboo needs to be broken IMHO as it has no rationality behind it. Just because someone thnks something does not, in itself, then make it worthy of respect.

To be consistant, people have every right to take the micky out of atheists.

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I don't know why I created this thread but I freely admit it was a mistake. The mods can close it if they feel it's necessary.

@Dragonpol it's not your fault either just revealing my feelings and hope they kind of do its a shame really looking forward to the thread and people had to ruin it like it seems has been happening on most threads on here ok officially gone for good now
    I'll leave the thread here then as I've not more useful to add to it.

Why are the religious so scared to enter into a debate?

If anyone enters ito a discussion about any topic, they need to be robust enough to defend their views (some evidence would be nice) and expect their views to be examined and, yes, possibly ridiculed.

Thank goodness people like Darwin and Copernicus stuck to their guns rather than withdrawing from the debate. (plus obvioulsy they had some evidence)

Dawkins gets death threats regularly but he remains in the heart of the debate rather than withdrawing. Rushdie had a fatwar over his head and never apologised.

Why are the religious so scared to enter into a debate?

I'm the Last Man Standing on my side so make of that what you will.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    patb wrote: »
    @007Blofeld So you think that all peoples beliefs should be respected? UFO abductees? Elvis lives next door? etc etc.

One of the reasons religion has managed to last so long as that it has created and enforced the social taboo that ALL religious views should be respected. This taboo needs to be broken IMHO as it has no rationality behind it. Just because someone thnks something does not, in itself, then make it worthy of respect.

To be consistant, people have every right to take the micky out of atheists.

Exactly, the pathetic freedom of religion defense. The same supremely religious people who have no problem denying gay rights in the name of their precious faith would be picketing and burning down the Congressional building if a law dared to dictate how Christians could marry or practice their form of happiness.

And that's why it's all a gigantic crock. It's telling when some of the religious are more anal (forgive the pun) about sex than sex addicts, and are invested in the LGBT community's simple search for equality and happiness in a way that matches the determination of advocates and protesters who fight to stop them from blockading progress.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 17,828
    I must leave this thread. I have no answers left. Sorry.

I feel I must leave the forum too.
    I must leave this thread. I have no answers left. Sorry. See ya!

But don't you see! You have all the answers because you believe.

All we're asking is for you to help us take the step to belief that you did, because presumably you based that decision on something didn't you?

Explain to us your reasoning as it would be far nicer to be able to think I'll go to heaven with all my loved ones rather than rot in a hole in the ground.
    Galileo was under house arrest for the last 5 years of his life but never backed down but a few words in a forum is too much pressure? This pattern is repeated in so many of the debates I have, both online and face to face.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I told you this was a mistake about a month ago.
    bondjames wrote: »

Yes, I should have listened!
    bondjames wrote: »

Yes, I should have listened!

What did you expect?

Everyone to treat your beliefs with kid gloves because that's what you've been used to all your life?

Sorry the cat's out of the bag and we aren't to afraid to call this garbage out for what it is any longer.

I also find this painting yourselves as victims being cruelly taunted by us evil atheists pretty nauseous.

The religious are used to having everything their own way and they really don't like it now that people are starting to question them.
    This thread is brought to you by the words "heat" and "kitchen".
    No, I just can't be bothered arguing about it all any more. Who cares. It's not life or death.
    I care and you know you do to and it is life and death.
    patb wrote: »
    I care and you know you do to and it is life and death.

Yes, but it's boring.
    No, I just can't be bothered arguing about it all any more. Who cares. It's not life or death.

But you don't argue do you.

Please bring some cogent arguments to the table. That's all we are asking.
    I don't have any left. I brought some but I used them up. Sorry.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/bodies-of-hundreds-of-children-buried-in-mass-grave-in-lanarkshire/ar-AArBXc1?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartandhp
    Another story of how Religion helps orphans, I wonder why a loving god, would
    set this in motion
    http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/bodies-of-hundreds-of-children-buried-in-mass-grave-in-lanarkshire/ar-AArBXc1?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartandhp
    Another story of how Religion helps orphans, I wonder why a loving god, would
    set this in motion

Don't question his masterplan. We can't ever hope to understand his mysterious ways of slaughtering the innocent.

Just have faith can't you instead of nitpicking all the time.
    It's the cross we must bear as persons of faith. That's only to be expected.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is another test from God. Or Satan.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I don't know why someone would create this thread in the first place if people would attack people's faith's I'm out of here since this thread as clearly misused it's purpose yes we have differences but we don't have to make fun of each other for what we believe in out of here until this thread changes or I may not come back at all

Yes that's exactly what we have to do until religion recedes from public life and merely becomes something people can do if they really want to as long as its in the privacy of their own home and the rest of us don't have to hear anything about it.

Unless you are into stamp collecting when was the last time you heard anything mentioned about stamp collecting on the news, in the paper etc etc? Never. People do it and that's fine if they get something out of it. Personally I don't have any interest in it and that's fine as well. Each to their own.

The difference is you don't have the media, government and the law bending over backwards to force stamp collecting down everyone's throats.

Well my wife hates football but she has to put up with it on the TV, in the news, on facebook and in the papers 24 hours a day. How does she tolerate something she hates so much? Well, she simply has to ignore it and concentrate on things she loves.

What she doesn't do is go on a discussion forum and bang on about it.

So, I would say, live and let live. No one has converted you to Christianity (what do you do at Christmas?) so no damage done. Happy days.
    @Dragonpol the burden of proof is on the one making the positive assessment. You'd need first to prove 1)that God exists, 2)that he acts in any way to influence this world, 3)that such actions are positive, 4)that he answer prayers.

As for Biblical claims don't worry they have been pretty much all debunked from the story of the Genesis to the events of the Gospels. So you don't need to stress about these.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Christmas, another great old pagan celebration ;-)
This discussion has been closed.