'My Dinner with Hervé' - Peter Dinklage to Stars as Hervé Villechaize in the Upcoming HBO Biopic

13»

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2018 Posts: 15,423
    bondsum wrote: »
    I mean, who cares about Fantasy Island?
    Fantasists. :))
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,395
    bondsum wrote: »
    That's a shame. Seems like a totally missed opportunity to cash in on the popularity of Bond. I mean, who cares about Fantasy Island? Thanks for the info @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

Without going into spoilers when you see the film the focus on Fantasy Island will make sense relative to Hervé personal life. Though a few more TMWTGG scenes would have been welcome.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    'My Dinner with Hervé' has received a Writers Guild of America Award nomination for long form original.
    my-dinner-with-herve-peter-dinklage-jamie-dornan-750x400.jpg

I got around to watching this...I have to say I really liked it. The film truly makes you see Villechaize in a new light, not least because of Peter Dinklage’s performance. He perfectly channel's Hervé's 'larger than life' nature and self-destructive behaviour.

Hervé is a charismatic hedonist and an absolute riot. His story is marred with soem sense of tragedy as a large part of his celebrity seems to have come from an acknowledged and even welcomed self-mockery. It was clearly a lifestyle that Hervé relishes, but there is something heartbreaking about nonetheless as we witness Hervé's 'final interview' (which in reality was his suicide note).

In every respect, three-dimensional depictions of people who look like Villechaize are essential viewing. Hervé is also with insecurities that inform some of his worse impulses, leading to an all-too-familiar celebrity trajectory that shoots high, but falls even lower. Hervé’s story is simultaneously inspirational and tragic, and serves as a reminder that just as anyone can “make it,” so too can they succumb to the trappings of success.

Also, Jamie Dornan subtly finds the edge and charm in what might have been a flavourless straight-man role. He would make a great 007 himself.

It's a little pedestrianly executed and feels very 'TV movie' in scope and scale. But the characters, performances and the indelibly suave Hervé elevate this drama. It's clear the director felt an obligation to Villechaize and to tell this story. I was very charmed by the whole film.