Simple random film questions: Have you ever demanded your money back in the theatre and why?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I myself prefer SPARTACUS. The stamp of Kubrick is all over it and somehow it gives the film an extra panache many of the others don't have.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I have a real soft spot for Cleopatra.

Also really liked Ben-Hur, Spartacus and Gladiator.

The worst is definitely Druids though.

I've actually seen that whole movie once.
    What makes it so terrible, @GoldenGun? :p
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    If this thread includes Roman-occupied territories... LIFE OF BRIAN, of course, is my favourite.
    Serious films : Ben Hur, Spartacus and Quo Vadis

Humourus films : You really can't go wrong with Life of Brian

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Welease Wodewick.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    What makes it so terrible, @GoldenGun? :p

It's just so appalingly made in every way. Such a waste too considering the interesting story behind Vercingetorix. Also, what a shame to see actors like Max von Sydow and Klaus Maria Brandauer in this pile of dirt.

And those wigs :D
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Carry On Cleo .
    NEXT QUESTION: Are you looking forward to another Pirates OTC film and why (not)?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Not really. I saw one or two, and they strike me as targeted towards children.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I have not seen any Pirates film. However, I'm very much looking forward to the next one and may pay a visit to the theatre for a watch. The reason: two fold really and both from the trailers. Bardem channeling Silva (one of my favourite Bond villains) and the magnificent special effects.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They should be good, the film cost over a billion.
    I liked the first one immensely. The other three were mediocre at best. However the new one seems to be directed by the Norwegians of Kon-tiki, so sounds at the very least a lot better than the previous three efforts.
    I'm not looking forward to it, but I'll probably be dragged along to go see it by the other half, so I'll end up seeing it anyway. The first one was enjoyable enough, but Depp is beginning to get on my John Wick with the same drunken sailor skit in every PotC movie. Sober up man, damn it!!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I like the four films. Like I am swimming against the stream with so many things (not on purpose) I love the fourth film the most.

Therefore I am looking forward to the new one yes. I have the upmost respect for Johnny Depp and quite frankly are upset with the hate he gets.
    One of the greatest living actors for sure.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I watched the first 3 for the involvement of Keira Knightley. I'm not interested in seeing the other films.
    I thought Depp was very good in Black Mass. Have you seen that movie, @BondJasonBond006? I think his Pirates role is an easy paycheck and one that does't stretch him much as an actor.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @bondsum
    I agree, Depp is doing Jack Sparrow with such ease, which I think again shows that he is a great actor.

He has had so many "better" roles that's for sure.

Black Mass I own on Blu but have yet to see it.
    I enjoyed the first four overall, but wouldn't care if there weren't another POTC movie. I will probably watch it one of these days if there is...when the Blu-ray is available for under EUR 10.00, and mostly for completist reasons. The only franchise I care for enough to actively wish for another movie is Bond. Couldn't care less if M:I, Bourne, StarTrek, the Marvel films or what have you never show up again, though it's ok if they do. But none of them will cause me to go to a cinema. That is reserved for the next Bond film.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Yeah I've enjoyed them for what they are. They are the sort of film in which you would end up just wasting time criticizing. So when I get in the mood ill will watch it, especially 2 and 3 back to back on a lull like day.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Not particularly. I have only seen each one once, but they tend to blend together after a while, and I thought the last one was terrible. Could be one of those movies I watch one random, dull evening when I have nothing else to do.
    The first trilogy was entertaining. I didn't get as much enjoyment from the fourth movie. Nevertheless, I'm a sucker for swashbucklers, so I will probably going to see the fifth one. But my expectations won't be as high as before.
  • The first one is the textbook example of how to do a good straightforward adventure. The next two were bloated, boring, overwrought, meandering messes. The fourth was decent, if predictable. Never mind the fifth; the series probably should have ended long ago...
    The first one is the textbook example of how to do a good straightforward adventure. The next two were bloated, boring, overwrought, meandering messes. The fourth was decent, if predictable. Never mind the fifth; the series probably should have ended long ago...

Exactly how I feel. The first was great fun, the second and third were awful. The fourth one I actually enjoyed because it was more straight forward and fun instead of being a boring, overlong, confusing attempt at being epic. But I don't care enough to see the fifth. Maybe when it's on TV.
    In the trailer it said the FINAL adventure? Thought it was the last one? Yet when watching Graham Norton the other night? Orlando Bloom suggested that they may be more?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    In the trailer it said the FINAL adventure? Thought it was the last one? Yet when watching Graham Norton the other night? Orlando Bloom suggested that they may be more?

I think all these movies end up getting the "final" treatment, just to rake in a bunch of money at the box office and immediately announce a sequel.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I just watched the preview for it. It looks like I'll enjoy it.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I love the pirates of the Caribbean movies but they get worse as they go along( like the Craig films) so I'm not very hopeful for this one. I saw guardians yesterday and all I will say is that rarely does a sequel out do the first one and guardians 2 was amazing
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,844
    The first Pirates hit all the right marks—fun, adventurous, fresh. The next two, as so many others have mentioned, were overly long and overly loaded with CGI and misguided attempts at outdoing the first one. I guess they still each had their moments, but I haven't seen either more than once. Never saw the fourth. The Pirates boat had sailed for me by then. Maybe it sailed along with Kiera. But maybe it would have sailed by then even with her onboard. No desire to see the fifth. Maybe I'll catch it on TV someday, but not before I see the fourth, so my odds of seeing it aren't great at the moment.
    They're still making Pirates film?! Really?!