CLOSED

Comments

As an American, I apologize profusely to the people of the United Kingdom and Europe for the despicably childish, boorish behavior of the idiotic criminal scumbag who just happens to be president of the United States (due to a fluke election).
  • What he said. ^
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    As an American, I apologize profusely to the people of the United Kingdom and Europe for the despicably childish, boorish behavior of the idiotic criminal scumbag who just happens to be president of the United States (due to a fluke election).

As a Britisher, no need to apologise. We all have our bad eggs i.e. rotten politicians.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Americans are idiots. Here's more proof of that:

https://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2018/07/faith-healing_parents_plead_to.html

Just joking. ;) Come on, folks, we know better than to presume that Trump truly represents your wonderful country and the wonderful Americans I am proud to call my friends, meaning you lot.

There is, however, clearly something wrong in the USA today. It used to be the country of progress, of free spirited thinking, of many cultures united,... What has happened? It's become the symbol of conservativism, of cynicism, of superstition. America once believed in science as the way to the future; now people are looking for ghosts in the attic, signs in constellations, demonic possessions and prayer as the solution to everything. These "modern Middle-Ages" are eating away all that makes America a great nation.

Trump isn't who you are. Trump has no business saying "God, bless America" because Trump doesn't want a prosperous America. Trump doesn't know what a prosperous America is or how to achieve it. This man neither deserves your respect nor your obedience. Europe and America are one, in many ways. Trump will not--must not--drive a wedge between us. To make America great again, first remove its principle obstacle: Trump.
  • We're WOIKIN' on it!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    There is, however, clearly something wrong in the USA today. It used to be the country of progress, of free spirited thinking, of many cultures united,... What has happened?
    I won't go into a three page history of how we got to this point, I'll just ask: What do Trump supporters Jame Woods (actor, genius IQ) and Billy Ray Sodbuster (unemployed, no IQ) have in common? They both think they're smarter than they are.
    There you have it in a nutshell.

(Oversimplifyingisall)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    This is a great summing up of our current president.
    Written in 1792 by Alexander Hamilton, every bit seems to fit like a soiled glove EXCEPT 'possessed of considerable talents'. (Worth reading every word, in my opinion).

It was a reply to this question posed:
    Yep.
    Putin is no doubt rubbing his hands with glee as Mango Mussolini demeans & undermines NATO.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,551
    Isn't it funny how we're all bashing Trump in this thread like it's nobody's business, but the religion thread was deemed "too sensitive for some" so that I saw no alternative but to reluctantly close it? Religion cannot be discussed but politics can. Ah well, still we live in the Middle-Ages.
    As a MOD, what rules must you follow for stuff like that? Is it up to you to shut one thing down vs another?

I'm on another forum with no rules and it's awesome (it's not Bond though, more general)
    People who get easily offended need not apply, lol
    Ironically there are some intelligent and thought provoking conversations I've had there!
    *Btw that wasn't a crack at you Darth- I was just curious how it works
    edited July 2018 Posts: 12,459
    We are keeping a fairly civil tone here, not disparaging each other.
    Also, the strongest pro-Trump supporters are quiet these days.

Here is North Korea, making sure that nobody makes any mistake about who's the boss from the NK summit with Trump. Also, as one of numerous examples, shows that Trump literally makes things up.

And I think Trump is happy to sew chaos now. For whatever reasons. He gets several benefits for not caring anymore, just being the boorish ugly American abroad. His entire behavior at the NATO meeting was such a show. He is purposefully disrupting (the mildest word for it) so much now. His comments about upcoming meeting with Putin (all he can do is say "Don't do it again" regarding Russia influencing the 2016 election).
    Sure ... And now he is in England, so here are two samples from that:

Several genteel signs here (I had to search to eliminate a lot of swear words this forum would not allow, and that eliminated most video clips, too ...) 'We are not terribly impressed' made me laugh.

We always make choices based on what's best for the forum. If a topic is indeed deemed too sensitive, we prefer to make the "safest" choice. As perhaps the most vocal mod in that thread, and not exactly a defender of religion, I thought it would be best if I closed it down in order to emphasise that it's a decision supported by all mods, not just by some. Since the atheist side--my side--was clearly the loudest bunch (some might say "the winning side"), my closing down that thread was nothing if not a very clear message. No matter what our personal preferences, we always choose what's best for the forum.

And I still stand by that decision; sensitive threads are best kept closed. But I'm also still a bit bitter that it WAS deemed too sensitive in the first place. Say someone would visit this thread and find all the Trump bashing "too sensitive", like a Trump supporter for example. We all seem to be naturally assuming that no such person would visit this forum. Surely someone as unpleasant as a Trump supporter would stay away. And even if such a person came by, we'd all boo him or her for protesting against this thread. Don't like it if someone says ugly things about Trump? Well, pffft, get out, loser. We all agree that bashing Trump is the logical thing to do. The man is a bigot, racist, jerk, senile old fool, dangerous warmonger, ... I very much agree myself. But understand please that we're also picking a side in a very one-sided discussion. And it has become a very one-sided "let's vomit over Trump" party.

By the time the religion thread had reached over a 100 pages--and I acknowledge that that thread was far more active than this one--we received a few minor concerns. They weren't complaints or harsh demands, merely concerns. But the message was clear. No-one really demanded the thread to be closed but surely we were smart enough to realise that religion is a sensitive topic and that it's wisest to be careful and such... Words were minced, everyone was polite. Don't get me wrong. I have no bitterness towards specific members. I simply feel, in a much broader context, that one of the points I was trying to make in the religion thread is once again confirmed. We can defecate as much as we want on a president whose politics we detest--just stay away from religion, a construct even some of the Ancient Greek philosophers were wise enough to understand for what it really is. Stay away from it, because it might be too sensitive... Even in 2018, it still is.

See what I mean? I once thought of myself as a religious person. I have become a much better person now that I've completely severed all ties with it. Like waking up from a dark sleep. Like Indy feeling the fire during the ceremony in Temple Of Doom. Like using my eyes for the first time--like Neo in The Matrix, only in a world that suddenly makes sense. Ergo, I am also very cynical about it, sarcastic even, and I admit as much. I'm not a fair player when religion is being discussed, like I have a score to settle or something. I know that. I certainly never minced words in that thread. But neither are people mincing words in this one. And somehow, the irony of it all isn't making me laugh as hard as I'd want to.

I'm merely writing this from a personal point of view, not as a mod. It's just something I had to get off my chest at some point. ;)
    Since the atheist side--my side--was clearly the loudest bunch

You too?

hqdefault.jpg

Exactly why I never set foot in that thread ;)

Would we have met on opposite sides, @Master_Dahark? :)
    Well, to put it simply, a thread on religious beliefs inherently deals with faith, not tangible things (world events) that are evident (though up to interpretation) to all. I can see why this thread would be allowed and ongoing if civil, and I always wondered how the thread on religion could continue. Faith is personal and not handily available to offer "proof" and indeed, by its nature, does not have to.
    But surely we can agree that most threads dealing with our taste in Bond films don't quite deal with tangible things either but with personal opinions?
    Personal opinion abounds, but faith is a different matter, and films are indeed tangible. Faith is not.
    Very well, I shall rest my case. :) I'm not a violent person. ;)
    Dimi, I am resting my case, too. :) I don't think I need to say anything further; I covered it, from my perspective. I was not on the religious thread for those reasons; no need to debate faith.

Meanwhile, here is more info. But I'm sure my U.K. friends are aware of this and more already.

Trump once again proves his arrogance here. What makes him think he can speak for the British?
    I do think he is happy to say outrageous things, to cause trouble for the prime minister and indeed for all of England. In this article, he also said that Mayor Khan is responsible for terrorism. So this kind of talk will, sadly, continue. The amount of things that will come out of the Putin meeting will be inundating at first.

Personally, I am thankful Trump and his entire administration have chosen all along to be so blatant. They certainly became even more obvious as time has gone on. Just think if Trump had tried to be a "normal" middle of the road, fly under the radar kind of politician and president. He could still be doing damage, but more subtly, and for much longer. I am grateful it is all so obvious now. It is up to American citizens to put the pressure, continuously, on our Congress and Dept. of Justice to end his presidency.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,551
    See, that's what I hate most about Trump.
    Stuff happens in Belgium. "Belgium is a failed state!"

Stuff happens in London.
    "Khan is responsible."

But America is still the epicentre of terrorism in the West, especially if we include school shootings and such. How does Trump respond to those?

A) Not at all.
    B) By accusing policemen of not drawing their weapons.
    C) By not at all reconsidering the right to carry weapons.
    D) All of the above.

(Correct answer: D)

And he receives thunderous applause for that. Because Americans love their weapons; because when a white man does it, we don't call it terrorism; because when Donald is too busy being a lazy pig, his daughter will tweet something for the victims, which is good enough.

That man calls my country a failed state? At least we respond to a terrorist attack with dignity and calm. Trump just farts out silly slogans. The fact that he remains so popular in certain places, demonstrates that something is seriously wrong with the American educational system in certain states. A caricature like that could never become a president in my country. Never.

Belgium a failed state? If one of our politicians lied about having had some kind of sexual relationship with his secretary, we'd all laugh and buy the man a beer. America was about to explode. But 20 years later, America puts one of the biggest prostitute lovers in office with a minority vote!? This is hilarious!! And we're the failed state? :D I can't believe this nonsense. It's a bad dream. It's like I've been perpetually drunk since Trump won the election. :D
    It's like I've been perpetually drunk since Trump won the election. :D
    There's an idea!....
    So a newspaper in Scotland is certainly standing up, in no uncertain terms:
    edited July 2018 Posts: 17,691
    OK, but Mr. Snyder has been ... used/cited by others who are pushing doomsday scenarios too much. To put it politely. Which is where Bannon/Trump/Putin want us to be: depressed, a torn country, at each other's throats, and giving up. Oh and that violence is doomed to break out. I am not buying that wholesale, no.

Meanwhile, we have Trump and Brexit intertwined. And he is there happily making his presence known, of course.

This discussion has been closed.