CLOSED

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wow, you really go out attacking people whose views you don t approve of?

You really go out attacking straw men all that often?

Someone carrying a "nazi flag" would get your baseball bat in their face. Where is the strawman?

Naziism is not a legitimate political viewpoint. The whole world fought a war over this issue a few decades back, you may have heard of it. Lots of people died to bury that cursed ideology. Let's not forget that salient point, okay? Please acknowledge that the same passage you're quoting out of context also mentions me participating in reasoned dialogue, the electoral process, and PEACEFUL protest. But Nazis? Violence is the only language they speak, I'll answer them in their own tongue.

How about muslims?

Where do you draw the line?

Judging by this logic, you should be smacked good before you can act on your threats.
  • Escalus5 wrote: »
    Now that the suspect has been identified and arrested, it's clear that there is a racial aspect to this story. Hispanic man in Texas. White kids. MAGA hat. The racial aspect is undeniable. If you want to deny that aspect of the story, then I have to wonder why.

Where did I deny the racial aspect of the story?
    And I don't like it when the news media is attacked for trying to do their jobs. It's just one more slip on the slope that leads to a totalitarian state. KENS 5 is just trying to report a story with a lot of controversial aspects to it. Good for them, and bad for anybody who's trying to discredit them.

I never attacked them. I questioned the validity of the witness's statement as presented in the article and was not surprised to see that the entire quote had since been taken down.

No one was trying to discredit them. They've discredited themselves.

Their story remains to be proven or disproven. You've already decided, based on KENS 5 trying to walk a difficult line between the right's desperate need to have the Trump supporters in this narrative be innocent children, and what the left considers to be a somewhat more nuanced reality. San Antonio police are going to be questioning everybody they can find with any knowledge of this story. Hopefully the truth will prevail.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 616
    Their story remains to be proven or disproven. You've already decided, based on KENS 5 trying to walk a difficult line between the right's desperate need to have the Trump supporters in this narrative be innocent children, and what the left considers to be a somewhat more nuanced reality.

If the teenagers did indeed make those comments, then I can understand the guy throwing soda in their faces. Like FoxRox, I don't approve ... but I understand.

But even you have to agree that the average reader would have a hard time believing a story by an anonymous witness who made a statement that had to be removed by the news organization.
  • What average reader? We're all above average around here!
    What average reader? We're all above average around here!

Well, let's see:

You jump to conclusions based on a questionable article and your own particular bias, and when it's pointed out to you that the news organization has had to remove a witness's statements because of legitimacy concerns, you stick your fingers in your ears and scream about racism and attacks on the media.

I'd say you're not only a below average reader but a below average thinker.
  • Oh gee, and we were being so civil a few minutes ago...

I'm at work right now. No time for an extended discussion. Please be patient, I'll be back w/you in a few hours.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited July 2018 Posts: 17,694
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    You jump to conclusions based on a questionable article and your own particular bias, and when it's pointed out to you that the news organization has had to remove a witness's statements because of legitimacy concerns, you stick your fingers in your ears and scream about racism and attacks on the media.

I'd say you're not only a below average reader but a below average thinker.
    Okay, you've proven yourself to be acting somewhat like a petulant child having a minor tantrum here, and Thundy a bit as well. Strawmans & exaggerations abound.
    I did not see Beatles stick his fingers in his ears, and I did not hear him scream, but I *do* see you making an ad hominem attack on his ability to read & reason. I would say that should be beneath anyone on this excellent site. Let's be a little better than that, eh?
    For MY part, I would never strike a Nazi first.
    I'd make fun of Hitler & his pussified suicide so the Nazi would lash out physically at me, THEN I'd clean his clock, and press charges. ;)
    edited July 2018 Posts: 45,489
    Where did you see me having a tantrum?

The exaggeration is on your part.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Okay, you've proven yourself to be acting somewhat like a petulant child having a minor tantrum here, and Thundy a bit as well. Strawmans & exaggerations abound.
    I did not see Beatles stick his fingers in his ears, and I did not hear him scream, but I *do* see you making an ad hominem attack on his ability to read & reason. I would say that should be beneath anyone on this excellent site. Let's be a little better than that, eh?

I tend to get annoyed when people imply that others are racist for no good reason.

Also, mind your own business.

Where did you see me having a tantrum?
    This seemed a little excessive: "How about muslims?
    Where do you draw the line?
    Judging by this logic, you should be smacked good before you can act on your threats."

I tend to get annoyed when people imply that others are racist for no good reason.
    Okay, you felt attacked. I get that. But I think Beatles was trying to discuss more than attack...

Also, mind your own business.
    Don't tell me to mind my own business when I'm attempting to be THE CALM COOL VOICE OF REASON!!!! WHERE DO YOU LIVE??? LET'S DO IT! MANO E MANO!!!
    That wasn t a tantrum, Chris. Just a genuine question. Who decides who are legitimate targets? If being suspected of being pro-violence is all it takes to deserve a smacking, well, don t you see the contradiction?
    That wasn t a tantrum, Chris. Just a genuine question. Who decides who are legitimate targets? If being suspected of being pro-violence is all it takes to deserve a smacking, well, don t you see the contradiction?
    The difference here is that most Muslims are not violent-types. You can't say for certain someone is violent because of a religion, but Nazis (as well as the Klan) TELL you they're violent. There's no 'suspecting' it.
    Don't tell me to mind my own business when I'm attempting to be THE CALM COOL VOICE OF REASON!!!! WHERE DO YOU LIVE??? LET'S DO IT! MANO E MANO!!!

Alright, I'll admit it, you made me smile. Tension defused!
    The difference here is that most Muslims are not violent-types. You can't say for certain someone is violent because of a religion, but Nazis (as well as the Klan) TELL you they're violent. There's no 'suspecting' it.

And so does Beatles, right?
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 3,564
    Okay, I'm on my lunch break here so I have about 10 minutes to devote to this discussion. This is by no means my definitive posting on these various topics, which will probably be forthcoming sometime tomorrow.

@Thundy, it's sometimes tough to tell when you're serious & when you're just being snarky. Muslims are by no means 100% violent terrorists. Nor is Islam a political philosophy. It is a religion, with all sorts of divisions and disagreements between the numerous sects. No line is drawn here, no one here is in danger of falling victim to El Kabong's cheap guitar. If an individual attempts a terrorist action, he, she or they are to be dealt with on an individual basis. Nazis, as I've already mentioned, were the focal evil of the second World War. If you hadn't noticed, they tried to exterminate the entirety of the world's Jewish peoples. Anyone trying to legitimize their actions is flat-out wrong and should be opposed by all patriotic Americans. Declaring oneself a Nazi of any sort, neo- or otherwise, is to make oneself the target of a good smacking at the very least. I hope I've made myself clear.

@Escalus, you'll get a more thorough response later. Quickly stated: Thanks for at least acknowledging that the suspect's soda-throwing, hat-snatching tactics were "understandable." And I'm sure I've made a mistake or two in my time as well. Being wrong occasionally is just part of the human condition. You insist that you're not a racist; fine, I'll take your word for that. You're just defending and enabling racists. But I appreciate the subtle distinction. As I've said: more to come on that topic. I'm sure you can hardly wait. But seriously now: what in the world makes you think you have the right to tell @chrisisall to "mind your own business"? This is an open topic thread, not a private discussion. Why would you tell chris to MYOB but remain silent at Thundy's interjections? Couldn't be that you feel Thundy is taking your side so that's okay, but chris is taking mine and we can't have that -- could it? Nah, of course not.

Okay, lunch is over. Take your Pepto Bismol, everybody; I'm sure there'll be more to come...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Gentlemen,
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs stated it correctly. This is an open thread, in which no consensus will ever be reached. Post your opinion and walk away if others and their opinions upset you.
    Thank you.

I was actually kinda poking fun at myself here because I have been known to be so VERY NOT the cool calm voice of reason (I have the mod warnings to prove it) at times...
    You guys are doing fine, don't worry. Just make sure things don't escalate.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

What are you gonna do? Smack us?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited July 2018 Posts: 16,333
    A simple punch will do.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

I was actually kinda poking fun at myself here because I have been known to be so VERY NOT the cool calm voice of reason (I have the mod warnings to prove it) at times...

And thus my own references to El Kabong...
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

KABONG!!!
    I loved Kabong as a kid! Had totally forgotten the whole thing. Thanks for posting that.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

We closed the religion thread because it was "too sensitive" for some people. I am not going to hesitate even five minutes to use their argument ("... has no business being discussed on a Bond forum") in this thread too. ;)
    Murdock wrote: »
    A simple punch will do.

A Fine Madness! Great movie!

"You voted for him?"
    That was funny, T!
    @Escalus, you'll get a more thorough response later. Quickly stated: Thanks for at least acknowledging that the suspect's soda-throwing, hat-snatching tactics were "understandable." And I'm sure I've made a mistake or two in my time as well. Being wrong occasionally is just part of the human condition. You insist that you're not a racist; fine, I'll take your word for that. You're just defending and enabling racists.

No, I'm not. I pointed out that the story had been revised to remove the quotes, which would logically put the claims of the anonymous witness in doubt, and you got out of line. You're still out of line, but you're trying to be cute about it.

Well, as you said, we'll wait and see what happens with this investigation.
    As I've said: more to come on that topic. I'm sure you can hardly wait. But seriously now: what in the world makes you think you have the right to tell @chrisisall to "mind your own business"? This is an open topic thread, not a private discussion. Why would you tell chris to MYOB but remain silent at Thundy's interjections? Couldn't be that you feel Thundy is taking your side so that's okay, but chris is taking mine and we can't have that -- could it? Nah, of course not.

Chrisisall is welcome to post whatever he wants. I already wrote "tension defused" to let him know I wasn't being serious. You apparently missed that.

As for Thunderfinger, there is no taking sides. Typically I ignore his posts, mostly because I can't figure out if he's on the level or trolling.
    As for Thunderfinger, there is no taking sides. Typically I ignore his posts, mostly because I can't figure out if he's on the level or trolling.

Thundy's posts are an acquired taste, but yes, it's probably wise to ignore them in case of doubt. ;)
    Ignore this!
This discussion has been closed.