The parenting thread

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Do you sing professionally, then?

arms-product-WUMO-comics-3188977.png

No and this was one of my great professional life's regrets.

It's never to late to live your dreams, @Ludovico!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    wumo57bac86c318325.59483881.png
    funny-picture-comics-WUMO-parents.jpeg

My son has a fairly original name, at least in the UK.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

My son has a fairly original name, at least in the UK.

Is he named after his father, perhaps?
    6a0105369e6edf970b01bb07aca6e0970d-800wi
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,599
    Sometimes I think that parenting is like doing a high wire walk. The more you think about the consequences of getting it wrong, the harder it gets. I think the other thing is not to loose yourself. I have several friends who seem to have given all they have re their time to parenting and have sacrificed their previous personality. We all need space to be ourselves and , IMHO, no child would expect you to not be yourself. Linked to this is the "sharenting" trend where parents seem to want to share all of their familiy life (actually, only the good bits)via soacial media which is not for me. I think these famaily moments are very special and not for broadcasting

It is an amazing adventure and every day brings something new.

PS I once went to an IT/fraud conference in the USA where Frank Abagnale was the keynote speaker. He went off topic and most of his speech was about how culture undervalues good parenting. It was something I will never forget and, ironically, contibuted to my decision to leave working in the city to be a better father!
    My life changed completely with the coming of my son. I go moderately on social media although it's tempting to sing his praises every five minutes.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    A serious subject.
    But I recall a stand-up comedian proposing that folks, especially kids, think fathers have some innately special knowledge to draw on. While in reality all they have to know is how to have sex with the mother. For perspective.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    My life changed completely with the coming of my son. I go moderately on social media although it's tempting to sing his praises every five minutes.

It is one of those special, life-changing experiences. Absolutely. Until it happens, you really have no idea what it s like.
    WUMO-comics-parents-teacher-3024399.png
    WUMO-comics-presents-kids-2709660.png
    WUMO-comics-kids-women-3254448.png
    01.jpg
    Any advice on how to travel abroad with a baby? I'm shopping for travel prams.
    For travel seats to use in airplane, we used Britax Romer Eclipse. It's a bit of a pain to set up in a car, but it worked really well on the plane.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Get a leash
    Love them, feed them, stimulate them and praise the love of their lives straight to hell.

Got two daughters 14 & 16 and close to 20 years of experience working with troubled teenagers so they actually stand not a chance. Got a crossbow and a apple ready for the first hero. ;)
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Love them, feed them, stimulate them and praise the love of their lives straight to hell.

Got two daughters 14 & 16 and close to 20 years of experience working with troubled teenagers so they actually stand not a chance. Got a crossbow and a apple ready for the first hero. ;)

The daughter of a friend who is now 16 has a boyfriend. It gave me a shock. I first met her she was a day old.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    You people really give me something to look foreward to......
    Kids are fun, make sure it is no democracy, you create the limits/borders and love them at all times even when you want to volunteer them for adoption. Give them challenges and new experiences and expect to fins yourself in situations you never expected but fins enjoying them. I've seen movies with them I do not care for but loved them enjoying those flics, Taylor Swift means nothing to me and my daughter sings it loads better.

It is a fun rollercoaster.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well I'll find out soon enough ;-) Counting down the months and weeks.
    Well I'll find out soon enough ;-) Counting down the months and weeks.

Congratulations! When is the baby due?
    July. And thanks, looking foreward to it! Or did I say that already... :-D
    July. And thanks, looking foreward to it! Or did I say that already... :-D

Do you know the gender?
    hahaha why is that the first question everybody asks? The answer is no, as it is too early to tell (from 16 weeks, we're at 14 now). I was considering not finding out but the mother-to-be wants to know.
    I think it's easier to find out soon.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    You will have to wait till the baby decides what gender it wants to be
    The name should be left to the baby as well.
    The name should be left to the baby as well.

there's too many people called 'wahaaaaaaa' here if you ask me.