Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I was glad to recently read that Loki (my favourite MCU villain) will be in Infinity War after all.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I always assumed they'd kill Loki off in the last Thor film, but either way I don't see him living for much longer. I imagine there'll be a sacrifice scene for Thor, finally showing him stepping up to be a loyal brother.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This gave me a chuckle, even though it's almost painfully truthful:

PVNiRFLgomQWAMRZX1_Bd_C5iMaK6U-f9N1s9QXqhfg.jpg?w=576&s=4e48d4200de178ea06ad678f57dfde1c
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Walton Goggins joins the cast of Ant-Man and the Wasp.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I'm finally off to see Spider Man Homecoming. I'll report back later tonight.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    @Seven_Point_Six_Five I hope you enjoy it. And if you give it a terrible review, I'll be...
    source.gif
    @QsAssistant Well then you better grab your M60, Rambo, because I didn't like this film very much. I really don't feel like writing a whole essay so pardon the brevity.

I'm a bit curious why this film is being praised so much, I think it is "decent" at best. I just didn't feel the plot and story were really driving and building to anything big, it just felt kind of flat throughout. While I think the whole Chitauri tech and Damage Control thing was a pretty good idea, I don't think it really clicked in the long run.

I suppose I may be splitting hairs here but Adrian Toomes felt far more menacing than the Vulture ever did. I imagine I feel that way largely in part to Keaton's ability to be fairly intimidating at times, but as the Vulture, he almost felt as insignificant as the Shocker.

Some things I really disliked were all the tech in the Spider Man suit. It was just way too much. I feel that it completely detracts from the charm of the character. Also, the vast majority of the humor fell flat in my theater. This is becoming obnoxiously common in MCU films.

I really liked the whole high school dynamic though. I think it was the film's saving grace. I enjoyed seeing Peter trying to balance being a normal kid and a superhero. Even small moments like when Peter had to choose between swimming with his Academic Decathlon team or continuing his surveillance added a bit of heart to the film. Speaking of heart, one scene that I felt was emotionally resonant was when peter was stuck beneath the rubble. Tom Holland really nailed the that scene.

But overall, I definitely prefer Raimi's films over this. I think I like TASM more too. I don't really have much more to say, this film really didn't impact me very much.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 40,473
    Jon Watts in talks to return for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' sequel:

http://collider.com/spider-man-homecoming-2-director-jon-watts-2/

Sony's non-MCU details:

http://collider.com/sony-spider-man-universe-details-venom-silver-black/
    @QsAssistant Well then you better grab your M60, Rambo, because I didn't like this film very much. I really don't feel like writing a whole essay so pardon the brevity.

I'm a bit curious why this film is being praised so much, I think it is "decent" at best. I just didn't feel the plot and story were really driving and building to anything big, it just felt kind of flat throughout. While I think the whole Chitauri tech and Damage Control thing was a pretty good idea, I don't think it really clicked in the long run.

I suppose I may be splitting hairs here but Adrian Toomes felt far more menacing than the Vulture ever did. I imagine I feel that way largely in part to Keaton's ability to be fairly intimidating at times, but as the Vulture, he almost felt as insignificant as the Shocker.

Some things I really disliked were all the tech in the Spider Man suit. It was just way too much. I feel that it completely detracts from the charm of the character. Also, the vast majority of the humor fell flat in my theater. This is becoming obnoxiously common in MCU films.

I really liked the whole high school dynamic though. I think it was the film's saving grace. I enjoyed seeing Peter trying to balance being a normal kid and a superhero. Even small moments like when Peter had to choose between swimming with his Academic Decathlon team or continuing his surveillance added a bit of heart to the film. Speaking of heart, one scene that I felt was emotionally resonant was when peter was stuck beneath the rubble. Tom Holland really nailed the that scene.

But overall, I definitely prefer Raimi's films over this. I think I like TASM more too. I don't really have much more to say, this film really didn't impact me very much.

@Seven_Point_Six_Five, we're not that far apparent in opinion, though I definitely think I enjoyed it more, simply because I've been a big fan of the character since I was a boy and grew up wearing Spidey pyjamas. Because of this, I'm naturally critical.

I have a whole essay/analysis written on this movie, the things I liked, the things I didn't and what I was neutral on, so I'll have to edit and post it if anyone cares to read it. I just put it together to get my own thoughts figured out on it after I saw it, because I wanted to love it, but just ended up liking it. I want to go for another watch, just to see how I feel now that I know what I'm getting.

I think the biggest issue is that Homecoming is a different kind of Spidey film than what we've seen, and I need to get used to that. The film's plot isn't an epic tale, it's more fitting for an episode of the animated series or a two-episode arc from the old Saturday morning cartoons. Because of that the impact, scale and scope of the film feels instantly diluted, even though there's nothing wrong with that approach. It's just a drastic change from every other Spidey film, which were each big in scope. I think the films will grow to have Peter fighting bigger threats, but for the first movie they wanted him to "find himself" as a hero with a smaller villain and plot. It wouldn't make sense to have a rookie Peter save New York from a massive threat, as that would probably stretch credibility. So while I wish some things in the film were different, in a way they had to be this way.

I do agree with you on Toomes, though. Everywhere I go people call Keaton the best or one of the best villains in these films, and I just laugh. He was alright, but never mindblowing and I feel that the film made him too cartoonishly evil at times, which badly contrasted with their attempt to make him sympathetic afterward. I never cared about him, so all my enjoyment of Toomes' scenes rested in how Peter reacted to him, as I loved him and was invested in his character. I guess in the scope of the Marvel films, with very uninspired villains, Toomes is a step in a better direction, but that doesn't really say much, does it? I think these new Spider-Man films are going to have a rough time in the villain department, as a lot of the good ones have been taken, leaving scraps in other areas. Even when the villains appear, like Shocker and future Scorpion, they don't even actually become anything like who they are, which is disappointing.

Overall I think the film sets up great things for later, but this isn't the best Spider-Man film we'll ever see with Holland (I hope), nor do I feel it's matched Raimi's iconic work yet, though they are so different it's at times unwise to compare. I think the sequels will lead to more dramatic, bigger threats, and I think it's obvious that the Sinister Six is being set up. I look forward to seeing that, as Holland stole the movie and he is the big reason that the movie works as well as it does; when we care about Peter most everything else is easy.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    @Seven_Point_Six_Five You son of a...
    200.gif

In all seriousness, sorry you didn't enjoy it. It's by far my favorite of the six Spider-Man films.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Of the 3 black panther posters released, the latest 2 are definitely the best.

Released today for this year's comiccon

ere24o0bdoaz.jpg
    edited July 2017 Posts: 11,139
    Infinity War concept poster from comic con

DFMkdWAUwAA8g_i?format=jpg
    Some things I really disliked were all the tech in the Spider Man suit. It was just way too much. I feel that it completely detracts from the charm of the character.
    I forgot to mention this in my review in the Last Movie You Watched thread, and I agree with you. It was too 'Iron Man' and did take from the character. I hope we don't see that going forward. Spidey doesn't need it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Some things I really disliked were all the tech in the Spider Man suit. It was just way too much. I feel that it completely detracts from the charm of the character.
    I forgot to mention this in my review in the Last Movie You Watched thread, and I agree with you. It was too 'Iron Man' and did take from the character. I hope we don't see that going forward. Spidey doesn't need it.

We certainly will see more tech in Infinity War, particularly from that suit we saw at the end of Homecoming (you can see him wearing it in the poster above), but I suppose it makes perfect sense considering the settings and villain in IW. I just don't want to see any more of it moving forward from there.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »

We certainly will see more tech in Infinity War, particularly from that suit we saw at the end of Homecoming (you can see him wearing it in the poster above), but I suppose it makes perfect sense considering the settings and villain in IW. I just don't want to see any more of it moving forward from there.
    That's another good point which I hadn't considered. Like you said, they probably 'teched it up' as a set up for what is required for the Avengers film.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The tech in Spidey's suit would have bothered me if Peter had made the suit himself. Tony Stark making a suit with lots of tech is a no brainer.
    I hope to see a scene in the sequel where Peter is adding his own twists to Tony's design, or taking out lots of features (like the lethal options) to customize it to fit him. Too much agency is taken away from him being the one to craft himself into a hero.

I hope Peter has a small role in Infinity War too, as it doesn't make sense for the kid to go from a meager weapons scavenger to a man who can throw planets in Thanos. I thought the whole point of him choosing to be a friendly neighborhood hero was to focus on building himself up as a hero, not jumping straight into a time altering war with a purple brute.

Spider-Man joined the MCU at a bad time, in that they are now scrambling to put him to use in ways that may not be best for his character and how they are developing him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    93c5e86c5f68b2da49f8d78709398e065df51ad08dc518c14e88d0f0a6cc6fd9_1.jpg
    93c5e86c5f68b2da49f8d78709398e065df51ad08dc518c14e88d0f0a6cc6fd9_1.jpg

Tony always did enjoy a good screw(ing).
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,257
    I believe the Marvel Studios SDCC panel is at 5:30pm PST. What do we expect to get from it today?

Infinity War trailer?

Captain Marvel costume?

We just got the first Black Panther trailer not too long ago, so I don't expect another. Maybe some new footage though..
    It'll mainly be Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther stuff.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @doubleoego any ideas when the first 'Infinity War' trailer will be released? When 'Thor Ragnarok' hits theaters? Or around the release of 'The Last Jedi'?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 11,139
    Ragnarok comes out early November. As for the IW trailer it likely to come out with Ragnarok but Marvel may drop it earlier. Not completely sure how Marvel are going to strategize with IW seeing as they delivered the goods at D23 but with comic con, they're going to have a bigger focus promoting Ragnarok and Black Panther.

This looks great!

DFXaQ9oXcAA9-gN?format=jpg
    MARVEL ANIMATION: Black Panther is getting his own 13 episode series cartoon!

Panther Quest

What a time to be freakin' alive!
    Holy crap!

4zaDFVLtrT8.jpg

6NaWiz7-ouo.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thanos looks like a purple Bruce Willis. :))
    Marvel are really killing it with their posters

tumblr_oti9rayGRr1u5j9sco1_1280.jpg
    This is killing me, the panel still hasn't started yet!
    The new Ragnarok trailer is freakin epic! Even better than the first trailer
    Cate Blanchett...hot damn!

tumblr_otiq6xMnWD1r5a08so1_540.gif

tumblr_otiq6xMnWD1r5a08so3_540.gif

tumblr_otiq6xMnWD1r5a08so2_540.gif