The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• Warcraft and The Iron Giant: Signature Edition. I think.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Let me know how that is, @DaltonCraig007. Looks pretty good, and invoked some Jackie Chan vibes (even before I saw the director of 'New Police Story' is involved, which would be the one thing that turns me off from seeing this movie).

EDIT: No wonder, that's Jackie Chan's son starring in it!
  • Just ordered this thing of beauty, been waiting for these for some time in the UK. The films are taken from new 4K masters can't wait to watch these.

11359545-1204435834451283.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I only have Enter The Dragon on BD... I need this.
  • Read a few reviews on the set, all the Chinese films are taken from 4K remasters. I have Enter the Dragon on BD probably same as version in this set, though that upscale looked great anyway I thought.

Cheapest I found was £40 in the UK, should already be available in US.
    My Chinese Fists Of Fury DVD is so good it almost looks like Blu Ray when upscaled. But Way Of The Dragon has Lee's ultimate final fight scene ever with Chuck. I *NEED* it in BD!!!!
  • My Bruce Lee DVDs are hit and miss probably time that has done that more that anything, though it appears alot of work has been put into the new set these are definitely films worthy of future proofing.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Salems Lot on Blu-Ray. I childhood favourite of mine.
  • Roadphill wrote: »
    Salems Lot on Blu-Ray. I childhood favourite of mine.

Great movie is it the extended version?

Picked up 'The Island' and 'Event Horizon' on blu-ray for pretty cheap recently. Looking forward to rewatching them in pure HD.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Picked up 'The Island' and 'Event Horizon' on blu-ray for pretty cheap recently. Looking forward to rewatching them in pure HD.

Bought Event Horizon on BD a while back looks great, certainly a film that has improved over time.

@fire_and_ice, I would've held off on a Deluxe Edition, but there's absolutely no guarantee that Anderson will release anything of the sort anytime soon. All the excess footage he had to cut HAS been located recently on an old VHS tape, but who knows what they can make of it.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    @fire_and_ice, I would've held off on a Deluxe Edition, but there's absolutely no guarantee that Anderson will release anything of the sort anytime soon. All the excess footage he had to cut HAS been located recently on an old VHS tape, but who knows what they can make of it.

The disk I have is Special Collectors Edition has some bonus features, though it's pretty much the same as the dvd, picture looks decent though at the time of release felt it ripped off alot of films like Hellraiser.

@fire_and_ice, on my last rewatch, it honestly felt like what 'Hellraiser: Bloodline' ('Hellraiser' in space) should've been, though I guess the hellish hallucinations would be replaced with the Cenobites.

After films like 'Alien' or 'The Thing,' you're immediately setting yourself up for a comparison by doing a horror film set in a snowy tundra/space, just like this year's 'Life,' which seems to be a combination of the two.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    @fire_and_ice, on my last rewatch, it honestly felt like what 'Hellraiser: Bloodline' ('Hellraiser' in space) should've been, though I guess the hellish hallucinations would be replaced with the Cenobites.

After films like 'Alien' or 'The Thing,' you're immediately setting yourself up for a comparison by doing a horror film set in a snowy tundra/space, just like this year's 'Life,' which seems to be a combination of the two.

I love films where you get a ragtag band group of people put in a claustrophobic situation, it's been so long since I watched the Hellraiser films it allowed be to enjoy Event Horizon alot more. There are some genuinely disturbing horror moments in the film, and never seeing hell allows the viewer to use there imagination.

edited February 2017 Posts: 40,454
    Some of the more haunting, twisted moments in the film, and in horror films in general, come from the things you don't see/things that are left to your imagination. Take 'Alien' for example:
    Lambert's death scene is so terrifying, because of her scared, blood-curdling screams over the radio, just for us to see her bloody and nude when Ripley comes back to the room she was killed in, which goes back to the question some fans ask of what exactly the Xenomorph did to her. Very chilling.

In 'Event Horizon,' one of the scarier moments for me is:
    Laurence Fishburne's character sacrificing himself, because the explosion he sets off doesn't seem to kill him, which means he is permanently sent to hell for eternity - what a sacrifice. Killing yourself is one thing, but letting the others escape, knowing that sort of fate is awaiting you through the black hole, is horrifying.

I'd like to think most horror fans have seen 'Alien' and 'Event Horizon' already, but I didn't want to spoil those good moments if you have yet to.
  • Agree it's those moments of dread when the door closes or the screen goes blank, a lost art in horror for a while. Psycho is a perfect example that it's the tension not the reveal that works when getting a reaction from the audience, Hitchcock was of course a master at that.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Just ordered this thing of beauty, been waiting for these for some time in the UK. The films are taken from new 4K masters can't wait to watch these.

Would love this collection. One day…
  • Just ordered this thing of beauty, been waiting for these for some time in the UK. The films are taken from new 4K masters can't wait to watch these.

Would love this collection. One day…

Late Christmas present to self :)

Just bought...

MV5BMTM1NjUxOTg5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjMxNTIyMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR7,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Unintentionally funny film Estevez pretending to be Hopkins is Oscar worthy, it really is terrible.
    01-339821.jpg

51mR0zq5XbL._SY300_.jpg
  • Gerard wrote: »
    01-339821.jpg

51mR0zq5XbL._SY300_.jpg

BOXSET%20Doctor%20Who%20Seasons%201-4%20Inside.jpg
    I bought this last week, admittedly for the second time. I sold my previous boxset hoping to get a full boxset season 1 new who to season 7 on Bluray, though the set is still very expensive.
  • 16715915_187098031774607_2196269310615612995_o.jpg?oh=16494c19eb971f7675f045c03381e21f&oe=5949D0D7

Just arrived like the art work
    BD
    American Horror story season 2
    The Sandpebbles [Steve McQueen]
    Black hawk down
    the Hurtlocker
    Colombiana
    Zodiac directors cut
    Letter from Iwo Jima
    Batman vs Superman ext cut
    16715915_187098031774607_2196269310615612995_o.jpg?oh=16494c19eb971f7675f045c03381e21f&oe=5949D0D7

Nice. I already have the Enter The Dragon blu-ray, but would love the others.
    Does the Game of Death come with the pagoda sequence in the extras?
  • 16715915_187098031774607_2196269310615612995_o.jpg?oh=16494c19eb971f7675f045c03381e21f&oe=5949D0D7

Nice. I already have the Enter The Dragon blu-ray, but would love the others.
    Does the Game of Death come with the pagoda sequence in the extras?

I also already had Enter the Dragon though the cover art is different which is good, not got to Game of Death still on the Big Boss double disk. Though Game of Death has some impressive extras there is alot, including the 40 mins of footage Lee shot interpreted into the original vision. There is a George Lazenby featurette also. Much of what was on the DVD special edition is there and appears alot more, though the restoration of image is the reason to get this set the films look stunning. There are at least two audio commentaries on each film, I am a big fan of retrospective commentaries on movies.

• Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    Farewell, My Lovely - 1975, Robert Mitchum's swan song; an excellent film adaptation of Raymond Chandler. It was unavailable on DVD for a long time here in the US but as soon as I spotted it by chance, I had to grab it!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Jazz007 wrote: »
    Farewell, My Lovely - 1975, Robert Mitchum's swan song; an excellent film adaptation of Raymond Chandler. It was unavailable on DVD for a long time here in the US but as soon as I spotted it by chance, I had to grab it!

Even though that one stars Robert Mitchum and Charlotte Rampling, I actually prefer Mitchum's other Marlowe film, The Big Sleep. Mitchum is so perfect as an older, wearier Marlowe, his style fits this type of character like a glove.
    Rabid - Arrow Video - blu-ray
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - Arrow Video - blu-ray.
    Arrow Video are quickly becoming my favourite label (along with Eureka/Masters of Cinema), just wish I had the money and the time…
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    With A Song In My Heart - DVD (Susan Hayward)
    Tower Of London - DVD/BR (Vincent Price)
    Fast And Furious 7 Film Collection - DVD
    Speed Racer BD- I almost forgot how immensely entertaining this flick is!