The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,696
    @QsAssistant you will love 'London Has Fallen' if you haven't seen it already, Gerard Butler has several extremely badass moments in the film.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Double post gr
    man-from-uncle-blu-ray.jpg

And...

John-Wick-Blu-ray.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,696
    The Sweeney (2012)
    Red (2008)*
    Rurouni Kenshin trilogy (2012-2014)

*The revenge film with Brian Cox, not the Bruce Willis film from 2010. I believe I once saw @DarthDimi say some good things about this little known film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Red Sun (1971 Mifune/Bronson). Directed by our own Terence Young & co-starring Ursela Andress. I can't wait... saw it as a kid on TV and thought it was cool.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Another heavily Bond-connected movie, Force 10 From Navarone on Blu Ray (found it at the supermarket for 4 bucks!).
    Just received Doctor Who series 9 in my mailbox today. Will watch it during my vacations later next month. BTW, I also bought this little books :

Doctor_Who_Cookbook_cover.jpg

51u2gu20uul.jpg

5732-Doctor-Who-Shut-Up-and-Eat-2-paperback-book.jpg

Am I too obsessed ? Perhaps, but to each his own, right ?
    1463023_1.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Is the directors cut the 'Straight Up' cut? So they've released it on R2 Blu Ray. I have both versions in separate releases (the theatrical cut in those old snap lock R2 DVD cases, and the Straight Up cut when it was released on R1 DVD.
    Just received the second volume of the "Gamera" Classics.

f8d98d38bf0f0100479f248511ab625351f0043c.jpg

Waiting for those : "Gamera the Brave"

gamera-l-heroique-chiisaki-yusha-tachi-gamera-gamera-the-brave-1-g.jpg

The P.R.O.B.E. collection (with Caroline John and Louise Jameson) :

51Pcn8fJGTL.jpg

And "The Heat is Back On : The Remaking of Miss Saigon" :

11128952-4714298750961453.jpg
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Legend - a film about the Kray twins. I wasn't impressed.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Is the directors cut the 'Straight Up' cut? So they've released it on R2 Blu Ray. I have both versions in separate releases (the theatrical cut in those old snap lock R2 DVD cases, and the Straight Up cut when it was released on R1 DVD.
    It has the Straight Up cut which I never knew existed, @Clarkdevlin mentioned the film so ordered it immediately interested to see how different the versions are. The BD is region 2

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It has the Straight Up cut which I never knew existed, @Clarkdevlin mentioned the film so ordered it immediately interested to see how different the versions are. The BD is region 2

There are enough differences to make it worth seeking out Straight Up. And while I liked the theatrical cut, I think Straight Up just edges it as the better of the two cuts. I think it was Gibson, who in an interview once spoke of scenes (one involving Porter poking out an eye of one of the outfit goons when he enters a building, then when he goes back later in the film, he pokes out the other eye), that were cut from the film. By the time Brian Helgeland was allowed to re-cut the theatrical film into Straight Up, that scene, if it was filmed, was lost on the cutting room floor.

There are enough differences to make it worth seeking out Straight Up. And while I liked the theatrical cut, I think Straight Up just edges it as the better of the two cuts. I think it was Gibson, who in an interview once spoke of scenes (one involving Porter poking out an eye of one of the outfit goons when he enters a building, then when he goes back later in the film, he pokes out the other eye), that were cut from the film. By the time Brian Helgeland was allowed to re-cut the theatrical film into Straight Up, that scene, if it was filmed, was lost on the cutting room floor.
    Certainly think a darker tone suits the material, I enjoyed the theatrical cut though I remember thinking when I first watched it I wish it had been grittier with more edge.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 6,432
    duel_blu_ray.jpg

The-Fountain-2006-BluRay.jpg

e8a96a76a03ceb9c33e86c3c6ebe440f52d4d522.jpg

...and Never Say Never Again HD digital download.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,423

Certainly think a darker tone suits the material, I enjoyed the theatrical cut though I remember thinking when I first watched it I wish it had been grittier with more edge.
    I couldn't agree more on the tones, gentlemen. And Major, I never knew there was a scene like that, but I believe Richard Stark's Parker would've done it. Overall, Straight Up is the better of the two versions, and Mel Gibson's Porter certainly is the Parker of the books. Lee Marvin's Walker wasn't, Statham's Parker wasn't, and nor was Robert Duvall in The Outfit.
    I couldn't agree more on the tones, gentlemen. And Major, I never knew there was a scene like that, but I believe Richard Stark's Partner would've done it. Overall, Straight Up is the better of the two versions, and Mel Gibson's Porter certainly is the Parker of the books. Lee Marvin's Walker wasn't, Statham's Parker wasn't, and nor was Robert Duvall in The Outfit.

I've only read two of the books, The Outfit and Breakout, and I own a copy of both, along with Firebreak. But I would like to pick up the rest of the series. As for the films, the only two adapted/based/inspired by the books that I haven't seen are Parker and Mise à Sac. The Outfit/Duvall was my favourite, he had a blend of brains and brawn. Payback (both cuts) and Point Blank were also good. The others (Slayground/The Split/Made In U.S.A), I would group together as the ones that I didn't care for.
    The Revenant (2015) on Blu Ray.

@Creasy47 Finally!! I have it!!!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    From other discussions about films, I guess I must be a bit of a pleb, but I found
    The Revenant, overly long, slow moving and boring in places. Yes the cinematography
    was wonderful, with good acting but I've seen it so wouldn't watch it again. Unlike the
    Hateful Eight, which I thought was fantastic.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,696
    Went to the store again and managed to pick up a copy of London Has Fallen (2016) on Blu Ray. Can't wait to double bill this with 'Olympus Has Fallen'. I really enjoyed the 2016 sequel on the big screen - Gerard Butler was a total badass in it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Revenant (2015) on Blu Ray.

@Creasy47 Finally!! I have it!!!

Let me know how that blu-ray quality is! I need to finally pick this one up.

I couldn't agree more on the tones, gentlemen. And Major, I never knew there was a scene like that, but I believe Richard Stark's Parker would've done it. Overall, Straight Up is the better of the two versions, and Mel Gibson's Porter certainly is the Parker of the books. Lee Marvin's Walker wasn't, Statham's Parker wasn't, and nor was Robert Duvall in The Outfit.
    It's arrived will hopefully watch it over the weekend, there is a directors cut commentary I will certainly watch that also. There is a lot of bonus features on this special edition, quite looking forward to this I seek out alternate cuts of films.
    :-bd

It's arrived will hopefully watch it over the weekend, there is a directors cut commentary I will certainly watch that also. There is a lot of bonus features on this special edition, quite looking forward to this I seek out alternate cuts of films.
    I do sincerely hope you enjoy the piece, old chap. :D

Cheers pal I will tell you what I think when I have watched them. :)

Cheers pal I will tell you what I think when I have watched them. :)
    Looking forward to it! :D
    Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull On HD download, I had to complete the set I already have the BD box set though there are certain films you have to have on your devices. Star Wars films are next on the list...
    10610202-1343843728-523213.png

004976.jpg

Big (1988) on DVD. It was only 4 dollars so I couldn't pass it up.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Big (1988) on DVD. It was only 4 dollars so I couldn't pass it up.
    Bargain Big is a good film I was looking through Tom Hanks back catalog earlier, Amazon has some deals on just rented Bridge of Spies HD for 99p. A Hanks comedy I need in my collection is Dragnet though bit pricey on BD currently.

The local Leclerc had a BR sale, so I bought :

Jurassic World

Godzilla (2014 american version)

Monty Python : Holy Grail !

Who Framed Roger Rabbit ?

I also bought back The Force Awakens, because on the first DVD, the bonus disc was defective. Let's hope it works this time.