Does anyone agree that the last 4 scores have been completely uninteresting with no personality?

124»

Comments

I'm old school and I miss the old "Bond Style" that John Barry introduced us to back in the 60's.
    Not just Bond scores but other film scores just do not seem as refreshing or inspired these days. The studios just do not want to put the effort into scores like they once did from the 1930's thru the 1970's.
    Three of the last four films have good kick in the ass theme songs but the soundtracks for the most part are so pale, dry.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I thought the Kingsman soundtrack was quite evocative of classic Bond while still having a modern twist. I found it much better than The Man From Uncle remake score for example.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,423
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E.'s soundtrack wasn't a spy thriller soundtrack. It was Spaghetti Western, '60s Italian pop music and Caper (The Italian Job for example) combined into one. The only track in U.N.C.L.E. that had a Bondian feeling was "Into The Lair (Betrayal Part I)". Guy Ritchie insisted that they should strafe away from the Bond sound as much as they can.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E.'s soundtrack wasn't a spy thriller soundtrack. It was Spaghetti Western, '60s Italian pop music and Caper (The Italian Job for example) combined into one. The only track in U.N.C.L.E. that had a Bondian feeling was "Into The Lair (Betrayal Part I)". Guy Ritchie insisted that they should strafe away from the Bond sound as much as they can.

I didn't know that about The Man From Uncle soundtrack, but now that you mention it, that makes sense. It was certainly different and it did have a 60's Italian thing going on.

I really did like Kingsman though, especially this:
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Kingsman has a solid soundtrack.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm pretty "Old School" When it comes to Bond music as well. You could say I have an obsessive passion with it. Though I do like experimentation every now and then. I don't think the scores themselves should be pastiche's but use the groundwork that Barry and other have laid out. A Bond score should first and foremost not only fit the visuals of the film but be memorable and good enough to enjoy outside of the films. When I'm on the road, I listen to lots of Bond music. It's mostly Barry and Arnold music but I have some Bond remixes from our very own JMY and music from Agent Under Fire, Everything or Nothing and Blood Stone on my CD as well. Newman delivered in the romantic area I'll give him that and a few decent atmospheric pieces. Skyfall was better in terms of Action music but Spectre was piss poor and that's a shame.

As BondJames pointed out, Kingsman had an excellent Bond score in a non Bond film. I listen to that more than either of Newman's efforts. UNCLE's score wasn't to my liking either. It was just 60's surf rock which is fine but It's not really my bag. I just hope Bond music in the future only gets better from here...I don't mind an outlandish or over the top Bond story with weak writing. As long as the music elevates the film I honestly don't mind. Moonraker for example. While a Bond film that swings to one extreme I find it to be an enjoyable entertaining romp and I give a lot of credit to John Barry who made what could have been a disaster be something graceful and fun. I enjoy Both Skyfall and Spectre. Skyfall's music fits the visuals just fine, but on it's own it's not. For me anyway. Spectre on the other hand. It's music doesn't fit the film at all and the copy and paste crap doesn't elevate the film but does the opposite. It's a shame really.