Does anyone agree that the last 4 scores have been completely uninteresting with no personality?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    TripAces wrote: »
    Gumbold wrote: »
    No, I disagree. All four scores were tremendous. And the Thomas Newman bashing here is hilarious. Just for argument's sake:

Newman: 12 Oscar nominations; 8 Grammy nominations; 3 Grammy Awards

Arnold: 2 Grammy nominations; 1 Grammy Award.

While Newman was composing music for The Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, Finding Nemo, The Help, and Saving Mr. Banks, David Arnold was composing Hot Fuzz, Godzilla, and Stargate.

Do we really need to have this conversation again?
    Ok so Thomas Newman got awards for other scores, and that makes his bond scores not completely life-less and boring? Haha

The awards argument doesn't work.
    Newman failed as Bond film composer.

Well, it's all a mattter of taste. But Newman does have a Grammy for SF. So there must have been a lot of people in the industry who thought his score for SF was pretty damn good. And it was.

After that logic you must love WOTW by Sam Smith or at least it must be pretty damn good. (And it was). It won about every possible awards there is and he was a multiple Grammy winner before becoming a Bond theme artist.

I did like it. I didn't think it deserved the Oscar over "Worth It" by The Weeknd. But it was a good song.

The only thing that should be won by someone calling themselves 'The Weeknd', is the Grammy for Bell End of the Year.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited November 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Song of the year: in terms of artistry and commercial success, sure Grammy winner.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/34Na4j8AVgA"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • RC7RC7
    Song of the year:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/34Na4j8AVgA"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Absolute shite. Emotionless dross. Although I'll forgive you as you're from Switzerland and presumably partial to Euro pop cack.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited November 2016 Posts: 9,020
    @RC7
    then you have to forgive the whole world as it is already internationally No 1 and will be the biggest selling single of this year soon.
  • RC7RC7
    @RC7
    then you have to forgive the whole world as it is already internationally No 1

They can listen to whatever tosh they want. Modern number ones are flash in the pan acts. He'll be a memory by the end of the decade. Decent mainstream pop is dead.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @RC7, End of the decade? or end of next year?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I think what needs to be clarified is that when we rank things in any kind of hierarchy, from 1-10 or 1-20, there's a natural response that we must dislike those toward the bottom of the list. It isn't so. I prefer Newman's scores over Arnold's, but this in no way means I dislike Arnold's scores at all. In fact, I'd argue that Night at the Opera is the best Bond music I have heard since Barry's work on DAF, better than any of Newman's individual pieces for SF or SP. But as a whole, and considering the sheer volume of music Newman produced for those two films, I give those the nod. But I listen to the CR soundtrack a lot. It's fantastic. It's just that SF and SP are...Fantastic-plus.

"It's all a matter of perspective."
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    They just needed more JAMES BOND THEME.
    I've enjoyed them - particularly CR and QoS's. I'll admit SP's is disappointing, but I still don't hate it. I like the Crows Klinik track; very mysterious.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I liked the CR and especially the QoS Soundtrack. The latter one is one I constantly listen, for example when in the gymn. For the Vesper theme alone the CR soundtrack is just awesome but I like it's usage in the QoS soundtrack even more.

The SF soundtrack features some nice tunes (especially like Shanghai Drive) and it fits the movie's look quite well - but is not really entertaining when just listening to it.

The SP soundtrack sounds and feels like a carbon copy of SF's to me - besides the very first track I find it not good at all.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    CR and QoS are fantastic; Arnold was allowed to stretch, yet he maintained the Bond DNA with both. Newman's scores have interesting bits, but in general, they are a bit generic.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,622
    As to the the thread title question, I would heartily concur regarding the last two films.
    Aside from the ill advised decision not to find a place to blast the JBT, I did like Arnold's work for both CR and QoS.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 1,817
    I actually cannot think of places where a bombastic Bond theme would work in QOS. I would go as far to say it would probably undermine the tone.
    I think CR and QoS are good scored. Yes the Bond theme is heavily scaled back in Both and saved for the credits but when it was used in those to it was used to good effect and that was part of the whole Bond becoming Bond shtick. Why it was barely used in SF/SP is beyond me. I'm still royally pissed about it.
    I actually cannot think of places where a bombastic Bond theme would work in QOS. I would go as far to say it would probably undermine the tone.
    Considering the final product you may be right, however I would counter that it comes down to priorities.
    ie if you commit to the theme ahead of time, then you simply design a film where the theme has a place.

That was the approach for the first 20 films, but it was decidedly not the approach for the last 4 films. In fact the opposite was true.
    The filmmakers decided the theme would not be blasted during the film.
    I don't count the DB5 interlude in SF, as that was clearly an attempt to address fan complaints.
    So Mendes had the theme compartmentalized, insulated from the rest of his film.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    @LeonardPine We must have watched different movies. TND certainly relies a lot on the Bond theme, but saying 97% of the score is just that...
    LTK overuses the Bond theme? I think it's used six times in the whole movie, and only three times it blasts in full action mode.
    TND has the perfect use of Bond theme. That's how a good Bond score should sound.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    To my ears, the Bond theme was overused in TND. While that may not in fact be the case empirically, that's certainly how it felt to me.

I've speculated on why I feel this way in the past, and my conclusion is that it's because Arnold's compositions are so weak for the most part in this film that the Bond theme stands out.

Such was not the case with Barry, who created several memorable and unique themes and motifs in nearly all of his films, so that the Bond theme stood out less. In fact, when I watch a Barry scored Bond film, the Bond theme is the last thing I'm waiting to hear since there so much other good stuff there.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    To my ears, the Bond theme was overused in TND. While that may not in fact be the case empirically, that's certainly how it felt to me.

I've speculated on why I feel this way in the past, and my conclusion is that it's because Arnold's compositions are so weak for the most part in this film that the Bond theme stands out.

Such was not the case with Barry, who created several memorable and unique themes and motifs in nearly all of his films, so that the Bond theme stood out less. In fact, when I watch a Barry scored Bond film, the Bond theme is the last thing I'm waiting to hear since there so much other good stuff there.

I'm surprised that the TND score is getting such a kicking on here as I've always thought it was a really great score. I'd have to watch the film again to see how much the Bond theme is used but listening to the expanded CD it's not particularly evident. Some lovely Bondian music in it like, 'Kowloon Bay', 'Paris and Bond' and the brilliant 'White Knight'
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883

I'm surprised that the TND score is getting such a kicking on here as I've always thought it was a really great score. I'd have to watch the film again to see how much the Bond theme is used but listening to the expanded CD it's not particularly evident. Some lovely Bondian music in it like, 'Kowloon Bay', 'Paris and Bond' and the brilliant 'White Knight'
    Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy it. I think it's Arnold's third best effort, after QoS and CR. I just feel it had too many 'electronic drum' sounds and it's the Bond theme which stands out in the score to me. As I said, perhaps it's because his compositions don't quite stick in my ear.

The one that I really like is that little bit when Bond is leaving Kaufman's on the rooftop, and he sees Stamper approaching.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    TND is a god among the Bond scores just as GF and TB are.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Hamburg Break In is a masterpiece.
    TND's versions of the Bond theme didn't have any "Electric drum sounds." TWINE and DAD did but TND was probably Arnold's most classic tradition style Bond score. It's my favorite Arnold score. The whole thing is a masterpiece. I wish newer Bond scores were like that over the generic S*** we're getting now. It's outright criminal.
    0.35 onwards is class.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    This is why TND is among my Top 3.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    0.35 onwards is class.

Matched perfectly with the cool strut of Broz as he bounced down the car park stairs. One of his best moments as Bond.
    Wish we had something great like that for SF and SP... :((
  • GumboldGumbold Atlantis
    RC7 wrote: »
    @RC7
    then you have to forgive the whole world as it is already internationally No 1

They can listen to whatever tosh they want. Modern number ones are flash in the pan acts. He'll be a memory by the end of the decade. Decent mainstream pop is dead.
    Made me laugh. Thanks
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Murdock wrote: »

I might have even forgiven the step brother angle had the score been good
    edited December 2016 Posts: 16,333
    w2bond wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

I might have even forgiven the step brother angle had the score been good

Fortunately that didn't bother me at all. Every time I heard a cue copy and pasted from Skyfall it sucked me right out of the film and it made me mad each time. No other Bond composer has done this, It's so damn lazy.