Does anyone agree that the last 4 scores have been completely uninteresting with no personality?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TripAces wrote: »
    No, I disagree. All four scores were tremendous. And the Thomas Newman bashing here is hilarious. Just for argument's sake:

Newman: 12 Oscar nominations; 8 Grammy nominations; 3 Grammy Awards

Arnold: 2 Grammy nominations; 1 Grammy Award.

While Newman was composing music for The Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, Finding Nemo, The Help, and Saving Mr. Banks, David Arnold was composing Hot Fuzz, Godzilla, and Stargate.

Do we really need to have this conversation again?

Awards are irrelevant when you're talking about somebody's suitability for a job. I like Newman's stuff (Road To Perdition, especially) but he hasn't got the right style for Bond. He attempted to overcompensate for it by utilising many of Remote Control scoring techniques which is why we got so much electronic droning and repetitive beats on drums and guitar. There's nothing wrong with that style of music - it just doesn't fit. If he had done what Joe Kraemer did with Rogue Nation and deconstructed the Bond theme and used notes from it as the base for his action cues (something he hinted at doing in "She's Mine"), then the scores would have been elevated considerably. That being said, his two efforts do have a few highlights where he seemed focused and aware of the legacy that Bond has.

His score for The Debt is a much more superior thriller effort because it lacks any of the baggage that his Bond scores had.

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,252
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    With Spectre, Thomas Newman has delivered the worst Bond score ever

I think that's a bit harsh. I think his score works well with the film if not being entirely memorable. His music for the PTS is excellent and his instrumental of the title song works well in the film.

He uses music from his previous Bond score, but then Barry also did this a few times.

The problem is the instrumental happens in one scene, for about 10 seconds, probably because he was asked to.

And the music recycling is more than half the score. Barry only reused bits and pieces (except the "007 theme", and even then it's a different arrangement each time)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Newman's score have personality. It's just not the right personality for Bond, in my opinion.

Arnold's last two scores were great for the most part. Unlike his scores from the Brosnan era, it was in the quieter moments that he shined the most.

Agreed.
    +2
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mallory wrote: »
    Overuse the Bond theme? Is that possible?

Yep because it gets repetitive. Barry understood this and used it only at the right moments. As did Arnold.

Statistically speaking 97.2% of the Tomorrow Never Dies score is just the Bond theme...

Not sure how you got that statistic, but no it isn't.

You're absolutely right, it isn't. But Arnold relies way to much on the Bond theme, smothering it over action scenes in films to the point of almost parody.

I think Arnold uses it just the right amount and like Barry creates new action cues and incorporates the theme song into the score.

You can't be serious if you think he relied to much on the Bond theme in his CR and QoS scores.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Yep because it gets repetitive. Barry understood this and used it only at the right moments. As did Arnold.

Statistically speaking 97.2% of the Tomorrow Never Dies score is just the Bond theme...

You're absolutely right, it isn't. But Arnold relies way to much on the Bond theme, smothering it over action scenes in films to the point of almost parody.

I think Arnold uses it just the right amount and like Barry creates new action cues and incorporates the theme song into the score.

You can't be serious if you think he relied to much on the Bond theme in his CR and QoS scores.

I actually think QoS is Arnold's best Bond score, by a long long long way, somewhat ironically given its the least Bondian score he has composed.

Certainly his Brosnan era scores relied way to much on the Bond theme and awful electronica and I don't care too much for his CR score either. As a more 'romantically leaning' film, Newman could have perhaps done CR better.
    I was watching episode 1 of Season 6 of GoT yesterday. I just don't understand why EON don't sign Ramin Djawadi for composer duties. This guy can do Bond justice in his sleep.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,061
    bondjames wrote: »
    I was watching episode 1 of Season 6 of GoT yesterday. I just don't understand why EON don't sign Ramin Djawadi for composer duties. This guy can do Bond justice in his sleep.

As much as I like Newman's scores, if he isn't back for more, Michael Giacchino could do a killer Bond score.

His work with Star Trek proves he can work with existing themes/sounds to great effect. I look forward to hearing his Rogue One score.

As much as I like Newman's scores, if he isn't back for more, Michael Giacchino could do a killer Bond score.
    I'm ok with Giacchino, Djawadi, Alexandre Desplat or Henry Jackman.

I actually think QoS is Arnold's best Bond score, by a long long long way, somewhat ironically given its the least Bondian score he has composed.

Certainly his Brosnan era scores relied way to much on the Bond theme and awful electronica and I don't care too much for his CR score either. As a more 'romantically leaning' film, Newman could have perhaps done CR better.

I love all of Arnold's Bond scores. It's just a shame he never got to do GE as well.
    Joe Kraemer for me.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Joe Kraemer for me.
    He'd be an excellent choice as well. He did an outstanding job on MI-RN and showed that he really gets how to incorporate a classic riff in inventive & unpredictable ways.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Arnold only got better on the job. QoS was his best, and elevated the film.

Newman got worse.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

I think it's very Bondian. Listen to the PTS car chase score, so many Bondian cues there without being in your face
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Arnolds CR Score was epic Bond. QOS had some great elements but far dethatched from classic Bond. Skyfall was no ordinary Bond movie and was a very sombre film, I think Newman reflected it well with sombre brass elements.
    Would disagree as I absolutely love the CR score. I would certainly say it is David Arnold's best!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    It's all great music. Put a playlist together, just of these:

From CR: Vesper's theme; CCTV; Dinner Jackets; Solange
    From QoS: Bond in Haiti; Camille's Theme, and, of course, Night at the Opera
    From SF: Brave New World; Komodo Dragon; Severine; The Chimera; Someone Usually Dies
    From SP: Madeleine's Theme; L'Americain; Secret Room; Donna Lucia

That's all just great music.
  • GumboldGumbold Atlantis
    @TripAces

I absolutely hate 'From SF: Brave New World; Komodo Dragon; Severine; The Chimera; Someone Usually Dies'
    Gumbold wrote: »
    @TripAces

I absolutely hate 'From SF: Brave New World; Komodo Dragon; Severine; The Chimera; Someone Usually Dies'
    I think Brave New World, Severine, The Chimera & Someone Usually Dies are far better than anything Arnold gave us in TWINE & DAD personally. Far better.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    @TripAces

I think Brave New World, Severine, The Chimera & Someone Usually Dies are far better than anything Arnold gave us in TWINE & DAD personally. Far better.

Better than ice inc?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @TripAces

Better than ice inc?
    A perfect example of the kind of ear drum damaging noisy rubbish that I find unforgiveable. That's why, despite his dramatic improvement in CR & QoS, I don't want to see him anywhere near a Bond film again. Horrid imho.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I like them all.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    No, I disagree. All four scores were tremendous. And the Thomas Newman bashing here is hilarious. Just for argument's sake:

While Newman was composing music for The Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, Finding Nemo, The Help, and Saving Mr. Banks, David Arnold was composing Hot Fuzz, Godzilla, and Stargate.

Ok so Thomas Newman got awards for other scores, and that makes his bond scores not completely life-less and boring? Haha

The awards argument doesn't work.
    Newman failed as Bond film composer.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I love ice inc. B-)

Ok so Thomas Newman got awards for other scores, and that makes his bond scores not completely life-less and boring? Haha

Well, it's all a mattter of taste. But Newman does have a Grammy for SF. So there must have been a lot of people in the industry who thought his score for SF was pretty damn good. And it was.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 3,985

Well, it's all a mattter of taste. But Newman does have a Grammy for SF. So there must have been a lot of people in the industry who thought his score for SF was pretty damn good. And it was.

It certainly worked for the film and even divorced from the film it's a pretty good listen.

Too many nitpickers on here who just want the Bond theme played ad nauseum and get their panties in a bunch when something is done differently.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Well Rocky won over Taxi Driver. A lot of people must have liked it better. It wasn't.

After that logic you must love WOTW by Sam Smith or at least it must be pretty damn good. (And it was). It won about every possible awards there is and he was a multiple Grammy winner before becoming a Bond theme artist.

After that logic you must love WOTW by Sam Smith or at least it must be pretty damn good. (And it was). It won about every possible awards there is and he was a multiple Grammy winner before becoming a Bond theme artist.

I did like it. I didn't think it deserved the Oscar over "Worth It" by The Weeknd. But it was a good song.

Well Rocky won over Taxi Driver. A lot of people must have liked it better. It wasn't.

You're making an apples/oranges comparison. I am not making a one-over-the-other argument. I am merely saying that Newman's work has merit, and if one has a distaste for his work on SF and/or SP, they're in the minority. You're entitled to your tastes, for sure, but know that it is not one shared by most.

I liked Rocky and Taxi Driver equally.
    @TripAces

Glad you like WOTW, don't know why this is so hated in this forum.
    As for The Weeknd, yes absolutely, he should have gotten the Oscar. But then Pharrell should have gotten it too for Happy, most definitely, a year ago.

Awards are mostly politics and strategy games anyway.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I did like it. I didn't think it deserved the Oscar over "Worth It" by The Weeknd. But it was a good song.

You're making an apples/oranges comparison. I am not making a one-over-the-other argument. I am merely saying that Newman's work has merit, and if one has a distaste for his work on SF and/or SP, they're in the minority. You're entitled to your tastes, for sure, but know that it is not one shared by most.

I liked Rocky and Taxi Driver equally.

I would strongly disagree with that one, even as someone who enjoyed bits of Newman's scores. I'd say at best for Newman it's a 50/50 split and at worst there's a fraction more who didn't like his stuff than did. It's definitely not a minority as you say.