The Mandela Effect

13»

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Yeah, I think I got the thrust of it.

(TV show-related joke) ;)
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    @InTheWind
    Thank you for your contributions. However, please refrain from double, triple, ... posting. You can always use the EDIT button (the little cogwheel which appears in the upper right corner of the post window when you move your cursor in that direction).
    Thank you.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I never double post. This must be a fluke of the system.
  • I believed in the braces once upon a time and was somewhat surprised (with the advent of home video) to find this wasn't the case. Now I'm happy to learn of the Mandela effect, as I can easily believe in realities where (ahem!) certain people never became President.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 42
    @DarthDimi
    Birdleson wrote: »
    He means consecutive posts. One can just add thoughts to the existing post with the edit function.

Oh I see. I disagree. I've been using different forums and boards for over fifteen years. I really like the people here and the conversation. I appreciate having a place to discuss Bond. But I think this forum is too strict. It's even more strict than a lot of Reddit. I'm extremely opposed to gate-keeping and fairly opposed to over moderation too. I have mixed feelings about mega threads, like the review threads, but I think their more detrimental than helpful, ultimately.

I commented twice above to respond to two different users who had made unrelated comments. I could have edited the comment to @ the second person, or copied and pasted the second comment into mine, but that would combine two different threads into one.

but why is that necessary? What's wrong with commenting a second time? Who does it hurt or what does it damage? I doubt that double posting uses much space to increase the server costs, even if people did it all of the time.

Another example: I posted a thread requesting movie recommendations and linked to my LetterBoxd account. This is a fairly popular movie site and my link would have been equivalent to linking to imdb. The post was locked for linking to a personal site, which is inaccurate. I questioned the mod, who said he was unsure and get back to me; he never did, which I guess is fine, but again I don't think it was necessary to lock the post anyway. Furthermore, why would it matter that I link to a personal site? What if I had a blog about Bond or about movies in general? What about an Instagram profile about movie news. How is relevant solicitation such a crime that users need to be protected from its exposure somehow. If people don't like it, they don't need to engage. Now, a more appropriate rule, I think, would be to disallow links to unrelated sites or to blatant advertising. Certainly, you wouldn't want people sharing their Instagram modeling profiles or quack MLM products. But why not allow nuance? What if someone made 007 crafts for an Etsy store? Arguably, the users of this site might appreciate learning about such an entrepreneurial endeavor. This website has a lot of blanket policies that unnecessarily restrict the organic growth of a community.

It feels to me like the owners and moderators of mi6 are highly concerned with cleanliness or order. Some level of organization is important, but I prefer a more freeform structure that bends gently to the intuitive behavior of its users. So long as it's respectful, let people discuss naturally and in a way that is most comfortable to them. The priority should be to foster the health and passion of the community and users, and to adapt to the community's natural formation and growth. The priority should be to encourage interesting discussion, simply allowing discussion to unfold how it might, and for users to interact organically. The concept is reason and nuance. Moderate as necessary within reason and, otherwise, let users engage, play, converse, and opine in an open, natural environment. Trust and respect your users to behave responsibly as much as you expect them to respect you and one another.
    Oops....
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @InTheWind
    Those who have been around a bit longer than you can surely attest that we're far from "too strict". But whenever we ask our members to please avoid this or that, there's a perfectly good reason for it. You're certainly correct about the fact that a consecutive post, or "double post" as it is best known around here, is a fairly innocent thing. That is also why I merely politely asked you to avoid more of those in the future rather than jump up and issue warnings or something like that. That would be the equivalent of taking things "too strictly".

The truth to the matter is that we have had more than enough cases in the past of members spamming the place up like it's nobody's business. Some people actually care a lot about their post count, like it's a status symbol believe it or not, and would just leak out content for the sake of it, splitting one post up into five or more parts that get posted in one linear sequence. In some cases, people do that very thing to annoy the hell out of everybody. We had to implement an additional rule for the sake of avoiding just that. As usual, trolls and spammers forced us into a position we really don't want to be in.

In reality, we let many of those "double posts" pass if they are indeed harmless and infrequent. Yours would have been allowed that same leniency, had it not been for the fact that you're still relatively new to the game. We prefer to inform our new members of how we like to do things around here; hence my response to your posts.

Unrelated but fair enough: I'll see what we can do about your blocked post.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Worth a watch...

I myself thought Dolly had braces though back in the day watching MR on relatively poor colour TV's and Black and White TV's it was difficult to make out details on occasion, a shadow or blur on Dollys mouth may have made me think she had braces.

My jaw hit the floor this evening when watching MR with my 9yr-old daughter for the first time. She had never seen any Bond film before, besides TSWLM which we watched last weekend and she enjoyed greatly.

The much-debated Dolly moment arrives, my daughter sees her on screen and says "awww, she has metal teeth too!"...

... and then a couple of seconds later says, "Oh, no she doesn't".

I couldn't believe what I was hearing!

There must be something about the filming of this scene, which intercuts with Jaws's big metal-toothed smile, which somehow makes people imagine that Dolly's teeth are either metal and/or she has braces. Don't ask me to explain it because I can't.
    Yeah, they set up the scene to make the viewer expect braces. The weird thing for me is, I always thought she had braces, but could never remember my reaction to them not being there.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    2YUg2uikH3OvRiXGztsP3sb_yt_TWbmCo50m676Cb0QFh7I2kfKaeI0xQTNhbePxC1Pe0XWg2mMJ4fGxQQnsTE1lzSKksL_vQZqvzGndRgKZ97gZ_McLTt6cpA
    Its is indeed a strange phenomenon.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, I'm another who Remembers Dolly with Braces. Then again I also remember in the escape from under the Shuttle engines, when Bond detonates the watch explosive. I remember seeing a short blue pulse running along the connecting lead. Yet it's not there just my memory playing tricks on mr. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, I'm another who Remembers Dolly with Braces. Then again I also remember in the escape from under the Shuttle engines, when Bond detonates the watch explosive. I remember seeing a short blue pulse running along the connecting lead. Yet it's not there just my memory playing tricks on mr. ;)

Also a funny mandela-ish thing about that scene is that you can almost believe that you saw a scene earlier in that film where the conference table is being used for an evil plan being discussed - just the quick glimpse we get of the table and chairs folding away kind of pops the idea in my head because it's such a classic Bond villain setup.
    I actually love that set, I think it's an amazing bit of design.
    It's one of my favourite sets too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's gorgeous.

Is Drax composited on?
    edited May 2021 Posts: 13,929
    Yeah, I think there is a bluescreen behind the exhausts, the picture quality is different.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I've watched MR since I was a kid and I always remembered Dolly not wearing any braces. It's fascinating how memories work differently for everyone.
    Maybe we so wanted to see that joke with the Braces that, that's what many of us remember seeing ;)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    It would've fit the scene for sure. But even without the braces, the difference in physical size between Dolly and Jaws creates a slight comedic effect. Maybe the filmmakers thought that was enough.
    Agreed, they may have even though having her in braces a step too far.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Maybe we so wanted to see that joke with the Braces that, that's what many of us remember seeing ;)

I think this is it. The braces gag appears obvious, so we subconsciously connect the dots.

The same goes for quotes that never happened like "Luke, I am your father".
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    This just appeared on my feed, its amazing people still analyse this...

Still, some very good points. And BTW, I saw the movie when it was out in 1979, and I didn't notice any braces in this scene or others. So there.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    People will often create a synthesis of two different memories in their minds, thus mixing them up and adding a part of one memory to another. I know this has happened to me.
    Not Bond related, but for years I thought the suitcase in Pulp Fiction was full of cash and I thought its content had been seen a number of times in the movie. It's only reading online reviews and analysis years after that I found out my mistake.