The Mandela Effect

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The effect works both ways. Interesting.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Some people still believe thatPaul Mc Cartney died in the 60s and was replaced by a doppelganger. Anything is possible of course, but the same people believe Elvis is still alive.

That's ridiculous - there's no way he survived that explosion in Quantum of Solace.

Shame the "real" elvis didnt have a sweet bowl cut like the dead quantum one
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I wonder if an universe ever existed where DAF did not feature Blofeld in drag
  • I have traveled to all existing universes and can verify that even in the ones where George Lazenby continued on through the 70s, Blofeld always dresses in drag in DAF.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Many people remember X-Men being released in 1999, not 2000.
    I remember seeing Jabba the Hut as a human in Star Wars in 1977. Is it a false memory, or did Norwegian cinemas initially show the cut where he was present?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I remember seeing Jabba the Hut as a human in Star Wars in 1977. Is it a false memory, or did Norwegian cinemas initially show the cut where he was present?

It was filmed, but that was never shown in cinemas as far as I know. I've seen it in outtakes.

My memory of that was from way before seeing the outtakes on Youtube. On the other hand, I read the comics version in 1978, so it is possible I got it from there and mixed it up.

Yes, that is what I remember seeing in 1977, and the memory was there long before I had internet. Some parallell dimension I lived in, then.

Yes, that is what I remember seeing in 1977, and the memory was there long before I had internet. Some parallell dimension I lived in, then.

When ROTJ came out in 1983, I wondered why he wasn t human anymore.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 5,808
    Or in the comic book adaptation, maybe. It featured scenes that didn't make it in the final cut.

oXIdPVw.jpg
    Hm, no. He isn t human there.
    Well, humanoid, at least. Certainly not a slug. And it stayed that way for a long time, until ROTJ.
    Correct me if false, but I don't think Connery ever says "Miss Moneypenny". He says "Moneypenny" sometimes but not "Miss".

Funny because whenever someone does a
    Connery impressions they always say "Miss Moneypenny", as if it's something he says all the time.
    Correct me if false, but I don't think Connery ever says "Miss Moneypenny". He says "Moneypenny" sometimes but not "Miss".

Connery impressions they always say "Miss Moneypenny", as if it's something he says all the time.

Agreed x I think that started in the film-mania surrounding YOLT when Tanaka says it to Bond “miss Moneypenny perhaps “
    barryt007 wrote: »

Agreed x I think that started in the film-mania surrounding YOLT when Tanaka says it to Bond “miss Moneypenny perhaps “

Could be, bazza. :-bd
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Roger used "miss" in LALD, didn't he?
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl

It's because if you're doing a Connery impression you want to get in as many S-es as you can :)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Confirmed: as @DarthDimi said, Bond greets her with "Miss Moneypenny" at his flat in Live and Let Die. Bond trying to be professional in front of M while Ms. Caruso stays out of sight.

The one additional example I found for Bond is in Skyfall, which makes sense in the playful mock introduction at film's end. ("Well, I look forward to our time together, Miss Moneypenny.")

I agree, Bond's use of just Moneypenny is a nice warm touch to enjoy. Like the careful use of "James" by M at the right moments. From the later Moore Bond films to present, anyone saying "Miss Moneypenny" has become a rarity. I guess much too familiar a character for that is part of it. [But of course for Connery Bond impressions, "Mish Moneypenny" is required, @Mendes4Lyfe.]

However, the "Mish" pronunciation is another thing people obviously misremember about Connery. His signature 'sh' didn't start appearing in full until we had arrived at DAF. I'm always somewhat annoyed by folks who do a Connery Bond impression with that thick 'sh' sound. Even Roger used to make fun of the whole "My name is Bond, Jamesh Bond" thing. But that is 70s - 80s - 90s Connery.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Oh it's definitely exaggeration for effect. Still funny to me.
    Why did he start doing that?
    I have been wondering about that myself. Could it be that he tried to speak with a more neutral accent in his first couple of films, only to say "screw that" and flip to natural Connery speak later on, especially after his falling-out with the producers? Or do people develop other accents as they age? Either way, it's unclear to me. He definitely produced purer sounds in films like Woman Of Straw, Marnie, DN, FRWL, GF, ... than he did later in his career. Could be intentional of course.
  • Gerard wrote: »
    Well, there's that rumour that Shirley Eaton died during the filming of Goldfinger, due to being suffocated by gold paint. Not only did this not happen (Mythbusters disproved that theory), but according to IMDB and Wikipedia, she did quite a few movies afterwards (not all of good quality, I'm sorry to say) and is still alive today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Eaton

imdb.com/name/nm0247881/

snopes.com/movies/films/goldfinger.asp

But somehow, that rumour still persists.

I thought this for a while too. Actually, I looked it up after re watching goldfinger recently.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    I thought it was the other way around that people thought he was a bad Bond when he clearly wasn't. ;)

I was very happy to find this to be true.
    @InTheWind
    Thank you for your contributions. However, please refrain from double, triple, ... posting. You can always use the EDIT button (the little cogwheel which appears in the upper right corner of the post window when you move your cursor in that direction).
    Thank you.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Could've sworn there were no double-posts here before. I must be misremembering. :-/
    @QBranch, there's a lovely example of a double post on this very page.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It was a topic-related joke.
    I'm sorry, this is Sheldon Cooper. ;-)