Breakfast,lunch and din-dins : All things foodie in yours and 007's worlds.

Comments

Antonio Carluccio the top Italian chef and half of the 'Greedy Italians' duo with Gennero Contaldo,has died.

Gutted.

_98666148_mediaitem98666145.jpg

RIP and thanks for the food memories and laughs,Antonio.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It is humid weather here now, so I tend to go more for cold food.

Today for lunch, I had blueberry yoghurt with apricots from South Africa.
    ^Same again for dessert last night. We know Bond eats yoghurt, but how about the apricots?
    He prefers figs and berries IIRC.
    Both green and red grapes... and a bit of Strawberry too ;)
    QBranch wrote: »
    Both green and red grapes... and a bit of Strawberry too ;)

Aaah the grapes too,of course...especially if he is in a clinic ala TB & DAD haha !!

edited December 2017 Posts: 13,930
    Actually I'm not sure if the TB grapes are red or black, but Sean takes just one, and in DAD Brozza takes two. Perhaps the next Bond to eat grapes will set up a pattern.
    Actually I'm not sure if the TB grapes are red or black, but Sean takes just one, and in DAD Brozza takes two. Perhaps the next Bond to eat grapes will set up a pattern.

TB :

https://bplusmovieblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/thunderball-90.png?w=645

DAD :

http://www.hwdyk.com/q/images/jamesbondtrivia_20.jpg

;)
    edited December 2017 Posts: 13,930
    Ah yes, the TB grapes are black. I knew that, but forgot! I bought some fake grapes online a while back for a prop display, and they sent me red instead of black! Oh well, there's a whole dollar down the drain.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Ah yes, the TB grapes are black. I knew that, but forgot! I bought some fake grapes online a while back for a prop display, and they sent me red instead of black! Oh, well there's a whole dollar down the drain.

It's a good trivia question !

You could choose between black, red and green. I chose black, and bought some green ones separately. They came from China, and at a dollar with free postage, I figured it wasn't worth making a big deal of it.
    And yes, it is a good trivia question. And here's another Bond food trivia question:

You can see Malossol caviar in Bond's suitcase at Shrublands (NSNA). Is the lid of the jar blue or red?
    And yes, it is a good trivia question. And here's another Bond food trivia question:

You can see Malossol caviar in Bond's suitcase at Shrublands (NSNA). Is the lid of the jar blue or red?

I haven't seen the film for about 3 years but I remember the scene.

I would go with blue,from memory.
    Trick question. But you were half right!
    Trick question. But you were half right!

Maybe has white on there as well,it was a round tin I think..

Blue and red jars. I picked up a blue one on ebay in June.
    Did it have caviar in it or was it empty ?
    It was empty, but I bought a bag of black styrofoam balls to fill it!

Additionally, I did 'empty' some full jars of caviar to make the Zukovsky props. When eating the caviar, I get a cheese slice and break it into four squares, put the cheese on some Ritz crackers, then add the caviar, and an olive on each one.
    It was empty, but I bought a bag of black styrofoam balls to fill it!

Additionally, I did 'empty' some full jars of caviar to make the Zukovsky props. When eating the caviar, I get a cheese slice and break it into four squares, put the cheese on some Ritz crackers, then add the caviar, and an olive on each one.

Very nice too...very 'Bondian' !

Washed down with a chilled Vesper or vodka martini,perchance ? ;)
    Never tried a martini before! Perhaps I'll make it a plan for Christmas day?
    Never tried a martini before! Perhaps I'll make it a plan for Christmas day?

It's an acquired taste,not everyone likes it,but I do,even if I very rarely have it.
    Why is that? Is it the gin? I tried gin once before, didn't care for it.
    Why is that? Is it the gin? I tried gin once before, didn't care for it.

I think because its quite bitter.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Toad in the hole ?
    My arse it is....!!

Stick to milk in a bag: Canadian chef outrages Brits with ridiculous toad in the hole recipe .

BBGbGId.img?h=728&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

A Canadian food writer's unconventional take on a classic British dish has left the UK's food-lovers in despair.

Mitchell Davis, a successful critic and chef who resides in New York, tweeted a picture of a baked egg and bread combo with the caption: "It's a #toadinthehole kind of morning. @drnategoldstein's first."

Anyone who has eaten the dish will know it typically consists of sausages baked in Yorkshire pudding and, despite the name, is really quite delicious.

Davis's recipe – a slice of bread without any meat or pastry – was something the British public was not going to stand for.

Prominent critic Jay Rayner lambasted it in the politest way possible. He said: "I've just told the great US food writer @kitchensense that describing this as toad in the hole would result in an international incident. Clearly we are divided by a common language."

One replied: "I share your outrage. It does look a bit more like an actual toad in a hole somehow though."

"Yeah this is not toad in the hole, and I've never heard anyone call it this so that's weird to me. Egg in a hole, or egg in a nest," said another.

Davis was unapologetic and would not back down. To North Americans toad in the hole is very different to how it is made in Britain.
    If this fallout proves anything it is that when it comes to food, the UK and the US don't always see eye to eye. Hopefully our two great nations can draw a line under this and move on, right?

Someone needs to be reminded who invented the language... ;)
    — Fergus Macleod (@fergusmacleod) December 3, 2017

If that is a toad in the hole, then I am Donald Trump
    — Simon (@SiCornwell) December 3, 2017

That's hundred year old tomatoes, some ear wax slices and don't even get me started on the egg thing. #notoad
    — Julian Rowlands (@jrbando) December 3, 2017

This is a 'Toad in the Hole ' :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjMR2DPJDiBCjKf9Zza0Qud4wJ16LQey1U-b4333ZGopAb3LE8

If you are going to copy our traditions then at least cook the dish correctly eh ?

Vandalism over bacon...that's a new one .
    Anyone stuffing pancakes down their throat,as its Shrove Tuesday/Pancake Day today ?

Top chef reveals secret to making perfect pancakes - and the common batter mistake we make.

It's that most wonderful time of the year - Pancake Day !

Nestled between Christmas and Valentine's Day , Shrove Tuesday provides some much needed comfort and happiness on cold, dark February evenings.

So, come Tuesday, how can you best ensure your pancakes are of the highest quality?

One common mistake many of us make concerns the batter.

Happily, Head Chef Steve Smith, from Michelin-starred restaurant Bohemia in Jersey has revealed the secret to getting it right.

BBJ3OAY.img?h=1092&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

His tip will guarantee your pancakes are golden and crispy on the outside, while still being fluffy on the inside.

Steve points out the key lies in the batter, and making sure all the ingredients are at room temperature before they're added, The Sun writes.

He also has another interesting suggestion, which is mixing the dry ingredients - flour and salt - in a separate bowl to the wet ones (milk and eggs).

You then pour the wet mixture into a little well in the flour and salt, and stir it together till it's smooth.

BBIZDdP.img?h=485&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

You should then let the batter rest for at least five minutes - which is something a lot of us don't do.

This gives the batter time to relax and for all the lumps to smooth out naturally, giving the pancakes a nice, thick consistency, which in turn means they'll be nice and fluffy!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Put a little vanilla sugar in the batter,
    edited July 2018 Posts: 13,930
    Spaghetti bol for din-dins. I put in chillis, peas, corn and mushrooms, because I like it chunky. Two different types of pasta too - rotini and penne - just for fun. Add some parmesan on top. I made enough for two -
    come around and have a bowl with me.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 5,185
    I'm on my way @QBranch
    I'll bring a bottle of Dom Perignon 55, or do you prefer the 53?